New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: One Hell of a Summer Party

[Library]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Tep lowers his glasses and gives the pixie a bemused expression.
    "Well I imagine it isn't over there, I just found out that's the section dedicated to the succubi's Leisure Activities. You could probably ask the librarian, but something tells me you're looking for something over there." He points. He's good at guessing the location of books. Lord of Knowledge and all that.
    "Oh, sorry; I had took you to be the librarian."
    "The succubi haven't seemed much for reading."

But looking around there is a succubus over there, huh?

The pixie follows his advice though. He's ruled out one...probably interesting enough section of the books, and pointed her to another. Now to look over all these titles...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Trouble Brewing

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The cloaked person dives for the table, hoping to slide under it to safety. At the exact same instant, the Prophet takes one step to the left. The result is that the two collide, with the smaller person slamming headfirst into the Prophet's legs and winding up dazed at his feet. He bends down and pulls the hood off her head.
    "Whuh?" Mary, Sekhmet's adopted-ish daughter, blinks in confusion a few times. The Prophet only chuckles good-naturedly. "It is a good thing I found you. Does your mother know you are here?" The question goes unanswered.
    "Mary. You gave me quite the runaround," Sophie observes as she comes closer. "I take it your mother didn't let you come?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Trouble Brewing
    The cloaked person dives for the table, hoping to slide under it to safety. At the exact same instant, the Prophet takes one step to the left. The result is that the two collide, with the smaller person slamming headfirst into the Prophet's legs and winding up dazed at his feet. He bends down and pulls the hood off her head.
    "Whuh?" Mary, Sekhmet's adopted-ish daughter, blinks in confusion a few times. The Prophet only chuckles good-naturedly. "It is a good thing I found you. Does your mother know you are here?" The question goes unanswered.
    [Trouble Brewing]

Miranda lets out little sigh and helps Mary to her feet. She's been getting far too paranoid in her retirement. "She's going to want to know that you're here, at least." She points out, dusting off the young girl's cloak. "This isn't the sort of party children should be attending." And if Sekhmet was aware of the possibility that her adopted daughter might have witnessed her earlier display, that notion would only be further reinforced. "Come on. Let's go talk to your mum." She gives Sophie a little smile and a nod, gently guiding Mary away by putting her hand to her back.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

[Grand Ballroom - Malady and Platinum]

Platinum notices this move, but calls no attention to it. After all, pretending you don't make mistakes is what coolness is all about. Anyways, she herself is content to continue the simple back-and-forth while they're conversing like this.

"The one and only. No doubt it sounds hard to believe at first, but the Bermuda Triangle really is a portal straight from the mortal plane to the Scorching Depths. Usually, though, there were other factors in the disappearances that give the portal plausible deniability, and so it's dismissed as simply the luck of the draw. I think it might be for the better that people think that, though, since otherwise ships would stop travelling over here, and our population would start to plateau."

[Aviary/Dining Hall]

Gold watches this play out, a grin creeping across his face. Afterwards, he starts laughing quietly.

"Hehehe... physical comedy. Classic. Alright, well, that was pretty funny, so as promised, I will make like a tree and get out.

Gold starts to head for the exit, nodding to the two birds as he does so.

"Waldorf... Statler... I'll see you around. Goodbye and goodnight!"

With that, Gold exits. He heads for the dining hall, taking the long way around the ballroom to avoid being in Platinum's line of sight, and eyeing the dark winged man in there suspiciously as there's something very off about that guy, but he can't pinpoint what. Anyways, as he's going in, he is stopped by the disguised Iron, who was hanging out in the corner waiting for someone who looked like they might be suckered into a drinking contest.

""Gold! Gold, it's me. Iron.""

Gold blinks heavily looking at Iron. Then, he bursts into laughter.

"Whahat? Hahahahahahaa... Haaaahahahaaahahaha, you're a NERD! Hahahahahahaha-"

"Gold, quiet your ass down! I can't let anyone know it's me. We shouldn't even be talkin' to each other right now. Go get something to eat. Oh, and watch your back around that space-lookin' guy. Something ain't right about him."

While saying that last part, Iron was whispering in Gold's ear and pointing at the figure, while Gold took occasional glances. Not the most polite behaviour. Afterwards, Gold nods, starts walking towards the table, then stops. He turns, produces a smartphone from his pocket, and snaps a picture of Iron in his illusory state, as well as one of the winged space looking man.
    Giggling to himself, he puts his phone away and begins to grab some snacks.

"Wha- Oh, heckdammit... I just hope the other guys don't believe that's me."
    We are FREE of
    BEER! As in, we don't have any beer.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Trouble Brewing
    "But..." "Too late for that. Come on." The three of them bring Mary back to the ballroom. Sekhmet is surprised to see them. "Mary!? Uh, I told you, you're not allowed to come to these parties until you're older!" "But I'm twelve! That's old enough! I just wanted to see." Sekhmet sighs, but then she turns to the "Prophet." "Uh, sir, what are you doing here?" Her tone betrays a level of reverence. Whoever he is, she respects him and trusts his judgement. "I just wanted your permission to speak with your daughter," His tone betrays that the respect is mutual. He could easily have spoken to her without Sekhmet's consent.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #246

Grand Tour
    "Don't ask me. She just told me to be your tour guide, I'm no political advisor," Pex protests. He genuinely doesn't know the answer to that question. Did the attacker work alone? He wasn't there, how would he know?

Monarch and Husband
    A hug is probably the best option. Sekhmet will gladly return it. "You're, uh, not angry?" She releases Prumathe. She glances down at herself and starts. "I, uh..." She conjures an illusory mirror with a wave of her hand. "I look different." This is the first time she's really noticed the changes to her "default" form and her clothes. Her figure is still somewhat exaggerated but much more compliant with normal human anatomy and the laws of physics. She's wearing a tight black halter top with a cropped midriff and a large cutout over her cleavage, a fiery orange, glowing, knee-length skirt, and a pair of dark grey high heeled pumps. She closes her eyes for a moment, opens them again, and then swallows nervously. "Uh, Honey? I think I'm stuck." Internally, she's panicking. She went to revert all her transformations, so why does she look different? If she failed to revert, why can't she try again?

Ballroom - Arkant
    "Interesting." Sekhmet isn't sure it's entirely wise. Many of her subjects aren't very well adjusted to mortal society. "What does your company do?" she asks. That's the most important part of this. She can't approve her subjects working for something she disagrees with.
    Ballroom - Arkant

"Mainly we produce daily life stuff. All from caned food up to electronics." he replies. "We fullfill the basic needs of people with an atemp to allow anyone to have these things. It was a rougth start but now we got a bit of the name on the market. Though a person of your rank might not come in touch with these goods now, but we are aiming to cover more. After all we started in a place were you didn't have the basics."

He does leave out that he himself runs a clinic for beatuy treatment, which has been on hold soon after the other things came up. Now it's mostly an office with secrets.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Ballroom - Arkant
    Sekhmet thinks about it. "What positions are you recruiting for?" Succubi and incubi have a very particular skill set. They're overqualified for most manual labor, but aren't going to be useful in any tech related position. The obvious answer is marketing, since everyone loves a pretty face, but with the current popular view of demons that might be unwise.
    She needs more information.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #248

Ballroom - Arkant
    Sekhmet thinks about it. "What positions are you recruiting for?" Succubi and incubi have a very particular skill set. They're overqualified for most manual labor, but aren't going to be useful in any tech related position. The obvious answer is marketing, since everyone loves a pretty face, but with the current popular view of demons that might be unwise.
    She needs more information.
    Ballroom - Arkant

Arkant puts one hand under his chin thinking.

"Quiet a lot." he says as he looks away from Sekhmet to her subordinates. He's smart enougth to know what this is about.
    "I guess we can offer a wide range of jobs. Some are manual labor, some are in sience and some are in office. It really depends on the person and their strengths. I guess responsibility for employees would be usefull assuming those around here represent your people. Maybe we can have some appear in the marketing department, but as i said we shouldn't throw them right in the faces of people and try a slower approch. To be honest, I wasn't sure what kind of people will come from your side so I could only tell you what i guessed would come."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Ballroom - Arkant
    "Send me a, uh, more detailed explanation after the party. I'll, uh, see if I can round up any volunteers based on that." Sekhmet thinks the idea has promise, but she's not convinced her subjects will want to do manual labor or office work, and they have a much more magical than scientific bent.
    But maybe some of them would see getting out of hell as more important than the type of work they'd be doing.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Leaf View Post

Platinum notices this move, but calls no attention to it. After all, pretending you don't make mistakes is what coolness is all about. Anyways, she herself is content to continue the simple back-and-forth while they're conversing like this.

"The one and only. No doubt it sounds hard to believe at first, but the Bermuda Triangle really is a portal straight from the mortal plane to the Scorching Depths. Usually, though, there were other factors in the disappearances that give the portal plausible deniability, and so it's dismissed as simply the luck of the draw. I think it might be for the better that people think that, though, since otherwise ships would stop travelling over here, and our population would start to plateau."

Malady, however, is not content with that. A simple back-and-forth is boring, and it sort of defeats the purpose of coming out onto the dance floor at all if that's just what they do. Like going to a fancy restaurant, ordering a bottled water, and leaving immediately afterwards. So it should come as no surprise that she's trying to work in some flair for their mutual benefit, sashaying around the ballroom in a simple but progressively more showy dance.

"Actually, I find that very easy to believe." Malady replies as they move. "The Abyss has a few portals tying it to the mortal plane, too. Usually not for very long, but... well, it's how my friends and I got here." She frowns. "So, when people just kinda stumble into your kingdom, do they...? I mean, how does that work out for them?"

Trouble Brewing
    "But..." "Too late for that. Come on." The three of them bring Mary back to the ballroom. Sekhmet is surprised to see them. "Mary!? Uh, I told you, you're not allowed to come to these parties until you're older!" "But I'm twelve! That's old enough! I just wanted to see." Sekhmet sighs, but then she turns to the "Prophet." "Uh, sir, what are you doing here?" Her tone betrays a level of reverence. Whoever he is, she respects him and trusts his judgement. "I just wanted your permission to speak with your daughter," His tone betrays that the respect is mutual. He could easily have spoken to her without Sekhmet's consent.
    [Trouble Brewing]

Miranda watches the exchange between mother, daughter, and... family friend(?)... with a professional level of interest, her gaze flicking to each of them as they speak. When there's finally a momentary lull, she decides to bite the bullet and ask the obvious question, at the risk of appearing underinformed. "I take it you two know each other?" She prompts, gesturing between the Prophet amd the queen.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Trouble Brewing
    "Family friend" is not quite right. He's more of a distant relative.
    "Uh, yes. You could say that. Miranda, Sophie, Mary, Lord Fate." "Pleased to make your acquaintance," he adds formally. "Now, may I just speak to Mary for a moment." "Mary? Uh, is this okay?" "Yes?" Mary isn't sure what to think. Fate bends down to a knee to speak to her. "You, and your mother and your little brother, are chosen for something very special. Make sure she teaches you everything she knows, because it will save your life again. But mostly, I want to give you this." He produces a golden circlet from his robe. Sekhmet gasps. "You don't mean..." "I do. Mary, as your mother's first child, this is your birthright. Kneel." She does. "By the power I command, I recognize you as Kodira Myn-Erl, the Princess of the Scorching Depths, and heir to the throne." He pauses, then continues, "And in the sight of these witnesses, I prophesy. She shall succeed her mother, and her brother shall succeed her. Train her well, for the greatest danger will come from within." Finally, he places the circlet on Mary's head. "You may rise, Princess Mary of the Scorching Depths." She does, with a wide-eyed stupor on her face. This is clearly a lot to take in. Sekhmet, on the other hand, looks worried.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To be honest, Platinum had mostly just run out of ideas to spice the dance up. So, she's very happy to allow Malady to take the lead as they move around the room.

"Ah, well, that depends on what sort of person they are. Not in a judgemental way, moreso their occupation. Sailors, I would have working in my navy. Pilots become personnel of the HMS Medallion, my very own aircraft carrier. Civilians can either sign up for the army or, failing that, simply become a citizen of Bermuda."
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-07-22 at 02:40 PM.
    We are FREE of

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

[Trouble Brewing]

Sophie takes a deep breath, forcing down her initial impulse to apostrophise this man. How can he put Mary on the spot like this? In front of Sekhmet, no less? For a prophecy? Bunch of nonsense. But she can't make him explain himself. If anyone has the right to do it, it's Sekhmet. She can't undermine her authority as a ruler and a parent.

"That's rather a lot of responsibility to put on someone this young."

Though her tone and her words are mild, her eyes are like bright blue harpoons, piercing the prophet and pressing him to justify his actions.
    Last edited by Morty; 2022-07-23 at 12:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Ballroom - Arkant
    "Send me a, uh, more detailed explanation after the party. I'll, uh, see if I can round up any volunteers based on that." Sekhmet thinks the idea has promise, but she's not convinced her subjects will want to do manual labor or office work, and they have a much more magical than scientific bent.
    But maybe some of them would see getting out of hell as more important than the type of work they'd be doing.
    Ballroom - Arkant

Arkant is confused for a moment as she stutters. Did she reach a limit ? Or was she kinda convinced? Or does she have second thoughts? Kinda disturbing to experience it mid talking.

"For sure, but maybe you could fill me in what your people would be willing to do?" he says. " What kind of demons are around here, especially those not attending the party. It might give me more details which jobs they prefere. Or may I request that you come over and observe the current facilities?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Ballroom - Arkant
    "A tour of your facilities would be, uh, agreeable. Yes, most agreeable." Sekhmet tries to hide further stuttering, without success. "While my subjects have, uh, all manner of skills and come from all walks of life, I can't recommend them for positions without knowing what positions are available."

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Drinks

Jack grins at that first bit, and nods slowly. "I think I'll take you up on that."

When asked her thoughts of Hell, Jack turns and looks around. "Best Hell I've ever been to, though I don't think I'd like to live here. All the ways out of the palace are guarded, did you notice? I think it's very different outside." Jack hates being cooped up inside; she needs to fly, though for however long the party lasts it'll be fine.

Monarch and Husband

"You aren't... exactly back to normal. You're not worried about what you're wearing." Although Prumathe has seen it all before, on several occasions, Sekhmet still doesn't like feeling exposed in such revealing clothing. "Try it anyway. It enhances my biology because it's what I've got, but it doesn't actually interfere with my biology. I don't grow extra muscles when I boost my strength, or need to eat more when I boost my speed." 'Enhancing biology' is what it's described as, but it's magic and would work exactly the same for Prumathe if he was undead.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #257

Trouble Brewing
    "Family friend" is not quite right. He's more of a distant relative.
    "Uh, yes. You could say that. Miranda, Sophie, Mary, Lord Fate." "Pleased to make your acquaintance," he adds formally. "Now, may I just speak to Mary for a moment." "Mary? Uh, is this okay?" "Yes?" Mary isn't sure what to think. Fate bends down to a knee to speak to her. "You, and your mother and your little brother, are chosen for something very special. Make sure she teaches you everything she knows, because it will save your life again. But mostly, I want to give you this." He produces a golden circlet from his robe. Sekhmet gasps. "You don't mean..." "I do. Mary, as your mother's first child, this is your birthright. Kneel." She does. "By the power I command, I recognize you as Kodira Myn-Erl, the Princess of the Scorching Depths, and heir to the throne." He pauses, then continues, "And in the sight of these witnesses, I prophesy. She shall succeed her mother, and her brother shall succeed her. Train her well, for the greatest danger will come from within." Finally, he places the circlet on Mary's head. "You may rise, Princess Mary of the Scorching Depths." She does, with a wide-eyed stupor on her face. This is clearly a lot to take in. Sekhmet, on the other hand, looks worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Trouble Brewing]

Sophie takes a deep breath, forcing down her initial impulse to apostrophise this man. How can he put Mary on the spot like this? In front of Sekhmet, no less? For a prophecy? Bunch of nonsense. But she can't make him explain himself. If anyone has the right to do it, it's Sekhmet. She can't undermine her authority as a ruler and a parent.

"That's rather a lot of responsibility to put on someone this young."

Though her tone and her words are mild, her eyes are like bright blue harpoons, piercing the prophet and pressing him to justify his actions.
    [Trouble Brewing]

"That's rather a lot of responsibility to put on anyone." Miranda concurs quietly. Though like Sophie, she doesn't think this is the time or the place to properly call out "Fate" on this declaration.

...Although, granted, he wasn't actually forcing anything onto her yet. And what he'd actually said aligned with the expectations she and the other partygoers already had. If he'd done anything, it was just saying the quiet part out loud... and choosing somewhat less-than-ideal circumstances to do it.

Without an immediate response to Fate, Miranda's actions in the moment turn more toward the other half of this incident; Mary. The newly-minted heir is going to find Miranda's hand on her shoulder, offering a comforting squeeze; it may help alleviate the weight of this event if she knows she's going to be getting support from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Leaf View Post

To be honest, Platinum had mostly just run out of ideas to spice the dance up. So, she's very happy to allow Malady to take the lead as they move around the room.

"Ah, well, that depends on what sort of person they are. Not in a judgemental way, moreso their occupation. Sailors, I would have working in my navy. Pilots become personnel of the HMS Medallion, my very own aircraft carrier. Civilians can either sign up for the army or, failing that, simply become a citizen of Bermuda."

"...Ah. So, you, um... don't run a punitive sort of hell, then?" Malady asks, a vague idea creeping around in the back of her mind. "And you... have a substantial army, navy, air force... the kind that could repel a large-scale attack..."

She blinks and straightens, giving Platinum an apologetic smile. "Sorry. Just thinking out loud." Her feet start to slowly shuffle back to a standstill as the song winds down. "Maybe we could visit sometime. My friends and I have been looking for someplace to..." She trails off, not entirely sure if she wants to commit to that course of action. "...It's just an idea. But, um... I should probably get going. I think I just saw them leave."

She looks at Platinum scrutinously for a moment, weighing whether she should present one last gesture before she goes. It doesn't take her long to decide; the admiral's head is made of metal, after all.

The succubus leans forward and gives her an affectionate peck on the cheek. "Thank you. I had a great time." She says with a little smile, before turning and walking away.

Of course, that might prove to have been a mistake. As Platinum might quickly discover, Lethean succubi have a potent neurotoxin in their saliva, which can induce brain death in surprisingly small quantities. In the trace amounts transferred by an innocent little kiss, though, Platinum won't have to worry about anything more embarrassing than suddenly being intoxicated... if even that, depending on her resistance to poisons.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Monarch and Husband
    "You're right... I don't?" Sekhmet looks into the mirror again. She swallows nervously."Prumathe... What if this is my normal form?" She smooths out her skirt. "I, uh, think I might have, uh, changed something with that... Incident." It's a weird feeling to be fully aware that she wouldn't normally like this, but it feels natural in the moment.

Trouble Brewing
    Sekhmet doesn't seem angry, but she does seem annoyed. "You didn't have to go through all that show and put all this responsibility on Mary just to tell me that I needed to train her in magic. I would have done that anyway, once she was old enough." After all, that is the only thing Fate actually said needed to be done."If I did it any other way, you wouldn't realize how important it is. Now she knows you need to teach her, and so do these two people who I know I can trust to keep you accountable." Sekhmet backs down. "She doesn't need to be responsible for anything yet. But it will go much better if she's prepared for when she needs to be responsible."

Mary reaches back and squeezes Miranda's hand back. It is comforting.
    This is a lot to think about, especially since a moment ago, she was just worrying about what Sekhmet would do when she found out that she had snuck into the party.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"No, nothing like that. Most of the humans we get haven't done anything wrong except be in the wrong place at the wrong time." Platinum nods at the next statement, confirming it. "Certainly! It's the pride of our country."

Platinum also slows down her movements and comes to a stand still as the song comes to a close. "Come anytime you want! Just as long as you don't mind rain."

"Alright, well, if you have to go, I won't keep you."

Platinum is surprised to find the succubus leaning in to peck her on the cheek, but she doesn't fight it. Her expression of surprise quickly turns to a smile. Fortunately, it won't have had any adverse effect on her, since no contact poison can permeate Platinum's thick metal head.

"Thank you too. I had a lot of fun."

With all that said and done, Platinum will wipe the saliva off with a handkerchief, sigh happily, and return to standing at ease, scanning the ballroom for a sign of Sekhmet.
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-07-24 at 01:28 PM.
    We are FREE of

20. - Top - End - #260

Ballroom - Arkant
    "A tour of your facilities would be, uh, agreeable. Yes, most agreeable." Sekhmet tries to hide further stuttering, without success. "While my subjects have, uh, all manner of skills and come from all walks of life, I can't recommend them for positions without knowing what positions are available."
    Ballroom - Arkant

"Ah the typical problem. Both sides need more informations from the other side to provide more details without trading unessesary details." Arkant says sounding a bit joyfull. "Very well, I wil provide as much information as possible." he says. A short break follows as he takes a look around.

"It might sound strange, but are there any rituals in your world i missed ? Like having a dance with you? "

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

[Trouble Brewing]

Sophie breathes out, anger subsiding.

"Well, then. Nothing to be done about this either way. We'll just do our best to help Mary's parents guide and teach her."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

Monarch and Husband

"What, like... the dance, or something she did, or... what?" If it was the dance, that's something Prumathe can kind of live with better, since it's closer to personal growth whereas the succubus having an effect in some other way is more like brainwashing and that's less OK.

Prumathe loves Sekhmet, and he does like it when she's more confident and assertive- because she's happier in the moment than she is when she's nervous and worried, but even so this isn't a change he'd appreciate if it was forced on her somehow.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Monarch and Husband
    "Well, uh, I sort of let the succubus in me, ub, out. So, uh... Even if she doesn't have direct control, I think she, uh, has more influence." Of course describing her as a separate person isn't exactly right. The succubus queen is a part of Sekhmet too, just one that's a bit more alien to the parts of Sekhmet that are normally active. "So, uh, I have more, uh," she gestures at her chest.
    That said, she focuses and magically alters her dress back into something more modest. "Thank goodness that, uh, still works."

Ballroom - Arkant
    "No." Sekhmet replies firmly. "Whatever you heard, I assure you it is, uh, a fabrication." She's sure he saw the dance earlier, and that's why he's asking. But that was a mistake, and she wishes she hadn't done it. Especially with so many people watching.
    Last edited by bc56; 2022-07-27 at 10:02 AM.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Monarch & Husband

"Well, that's... you, isn't it? A different facet of you, at least. I love all of you, Sekhmet, so, uh, this isn't going to change that." Prumathe smiles when his wife changes into something more modest; that's more like the wife he knows, so if there is still influence there he's hoping it'll settle into an equilibrium.

25. - Top - End - #265

Monarch and Husband
    "You're right... I don't?" Sekhmet looks into the mirror again. She swallows nervously."Prumathe... What if this is my normal form?" She smooths out her skirt. "I, uh, think I might have, uh, changed something with that... Incident." It's a weird feeling to be fully aware that she wouldn't normally like this, but it feels natural in the moment.

Trouble Brewing
    Sekhmet doesn't seem angry, but she does seem annoyed. "You didn't have to go through all that show and put all this responsibility on Mary just to tell me that I needed to train her in magic. I would have done that anyway, once she was old enough." After all, that is the only thing Fate actually said needed to be done."If I did it any other way, you wouldn't realize how important it is. Now she knows you need to teach her, and so do these two people who I know I can trust to keep you accountable." Sekhmet backs down. "She doesn't need to be responsible for anything yet. But it will go much better if she's prepared for when she needs to be responsible."

Mary reaches back and squeezes Miranda's hand back. It is comforting.
    This is a lot to think about, especially since a moment ago, she was just worrying about what Sekhmet would do when she found out that she had snuck into the party.
    [Trouble Brewing]

Sophie breathes out, anger subsiding.

"Well, then. Nothing to be done about this either way. We'll just do our best to help Mary's parents guide and teach her."
    [Trouble Brewing]

"...Business as usual, then?" Miranda chips in, making an attempt at lightening the mood. She's not entirely joking; if she had the read of Sophie right, she intended to help Sekhmet and her family either way. And she knows for a fact that she was planning on it. Fate's really just given them one more reason to do so.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #266

Ballroom - Arkant

"Ah I see." Arkant replies
    "Well, it looked a bit extraordinary so i thought it's something common around here. If that's all i leave you to your other guests."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Monarch and Husband
    Sekhmet gives Prumathe another hug. "We, uh, probably need to go back out there. I, uh, think I'm ready."

Trouble Brewing
    "I guess?" "I'll be off then." With no fanfare whatsoever, Fate disappears. Mary fingers the crown on her head. "What just happened? Can I stay?"

Ballroom - Arkant
    "I'll see you some other time, then." Sekhmet turns away and walks into the crowd.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Drinks]
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Jack grins at that first bit, and nods slowly. "I think I'll take you up on that."

When asked her thoughts of Hell, Jack turns and looks around. "Best Hell I've ever been to, though I don't think I'd like to live here. All the ways out of the palace are guarded, did you notice? I think it's very different outside." Jack hates being cooped up inside; she needs to fly, though for however long the party lasts it'll be fine.
    Anchor looks unabashedly delighted at Jack's agreement. Luring the jackdaw* into a long-term relationship wouldn't end well, but she can sure be glad of her company. And two nights is, for sure, another category. Maybe a small one, like "best hell I've visited" or "favorite pre-metal culture member", but still technically another category. Which is to say, an excuse.

"I have noticed that. And did you see how the guards are watching the other staff as much as they're watching the guests?"
    "It used to be - I mean, before Sekhmet became Queen - pretty awful out there. Nightmares made real kind of stuff." It was amazing, just experiencing it really helped understand the demon lord point of view. But, uh, Anchor doesn't mention that part, obviously.
    "But of course it's hellish in hell. What's more interesting is that lots of this very palace is off limits too. I mean, what do you suppose is in here, out past the approved summertide attractions?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

[Trouble Brewing]

"Yes, I suppose we'll just keep doing what we were already doing and hope for the best. A typical scenario where prophecies are involved," Sophie observes drily.

30. - Top - End - #270

Trouble Brewing
    "I guess?" "I'll be off then." With no fanfare whatsoever, Fate disappears. Mary fingers the crown on her head. "What just happened? Can I stay?"
    [Trouble Brewing]

"Yes, I suppose we'll just keep doing what we were already doing and hope for the best. A typical scenario where prophecies are involved," Sophie observes drily.
    [Trouble Brewing]

Miranda's hand stays on Mary's shoulder, but she's quietly shifting from "quietly comforting the new heir apparent" to "getting ready to escort her back outside". Official royalty or not, she's still too young to be here. Now she'll just need someone to stay with her and help her sort things out. Which circumstantially, will probably be either her or Sophie, as Sekhmet still has a party to run.

Speaking of which, she glances back up at Sekhmet for confirmation that it is, in fact, time to leave. The demon queen might still surprise her, after all.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]