New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Killing of a Spectral Deer

The spell "spectral stag" from player's guide to faerun makes a pseudo-creature, of the unseen servant, mordenkainen's hound, etc variety that has like half the stats a creature needs.

Of particular note is that it has a handful of hit points, and when they are depleted, it disappears. However, it also can be neither attacked nor damaged.

Obviously, the actual explanation for this is the lack of editing and overall laziness of the devs, but out of idle curiosity, what are all the ways the spectral stag specifically could use hit points without being attacked or damaged?

It's not a creature so can't take class levels and manifest empathic transfer or anything. If it walked into a greater consumptive aura, would it lose hp? Aoes just damage normally so those are probably out.

Is there a way to deplete a spectral stag's hp and make it disappear, or not?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Killing of a Spectral Deer

It can be damaged normally by AoO's when bull rushing someone. It's right there in the spell description.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

No it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by spectral stag
    The stag cannot be attacked or damaged, but if you are riding it when it attempts a bull rush, the defender may use her attack of opportunity against you instead of against the stag.
    The defender cannot use the aoo against the stag, since it can't be attacked or damaged.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    No it can't.

The defender cannot use the aoo against the stag, since it can't be attacked or damaged.
    I stand corrected. How did i misread that?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

It takes damage from forced march?

I read it's HP pool the way I would for phantom steed: it's a limitation on how many hours I can have it run/hustles

P.s. it was reprinted in spell compendium

Edit: nevermind confused spectral stag and phantom stag

Edit2: it does map to phantom steed just the same, 7+CL hp is hustle damage food methinks
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-06-24 at 03:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    It takes damage from forced march?

I read it's HP pool the way I would for phantom steed: it's a limitation on how many hours I can have it run/hustles

P.s. it was reprinted in spell compendium

Edit: nevermind confused spectral stag and phantom stag

Edit2: it does map to phantom steed just the same, 7+CL hp is hustle damage food methinks
    It only lasts 1 round/level though. Even if it lasted long enough to take nonlethal damage from hustling it can't be damaged

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Mm, if you can somehow give the stag negative levels without attacking it, each negative level makes it lose 5 hp without being "damage". So if you cast retributive enervation and the stag successfully melee attacks you with its bull rush, it loses 5hp. The only other way I can think of to impose negative levels without an attack is via holding aligned or bane weapons, and I don't recall any that would apply to the stag (if it could even hold one).
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    It only lasts 1 round/level though. Even if it lasted long enough to take nonlethal damage from hustling it can't be damaged
    mh, fixed range 0, it's persistable!

(and isn't that's a laugh)

does anyone have a 3.0 PHB to make a comparison to 3.0 phantom steed? I feel that's the use case we're to reproduce

Also, "can't be damaged" and "can't take damage" are two discrete different things to me. To make a MTG comparison, it's the difference between effects that says "tap an untapped creature: do X" and creatures with "tap: do X", the first one can be paid with creatures summoned on that turn, in spite of haste
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-06-24 at 04:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Mm, if you can somehow give the stag negative levels without attacking it, each negative level makes it lose 5 hp without being "damage". So if you cast retributive enervation and the stag successfully melee attacks you with its bull rush, it loses 5hp. The only other way I can think of to impose negative levels without an attack is via holding aligned or bane weapons, and I don't recall any that would apply to the stag (if it could even hold one).
    Greater-negative planes should also work as a way to give the stag negative levels.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2022-06-24 at 04:33 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    mh, fixed range 0, it's persistable!

(and isn't that's a laugh)
    If you can do it for free it's actually a pretty decent summon or mount for a level 2 spell.
    Too bad it's Malar-only, and at that level getting off-list spells isn't exactly easy.

I doubt the designers added hp just because of persist though. That kind of thoroughness would be... unusual, politely speaking.
    "Lack of editing and laziness" sounds more plausible to me.

does anyone have a 3.0 PHB to make a comparison to 3.0 phantom steed? I feel that's the use case we're to reproduce

Also, "can't be damaged" and "can't take damage" are two discrete different things to me. To make a MTG comparison, it's the difference between effects that says "tap an untapped creature: do X" and creatures with "tap: do X", the first one can be paid with creatures summoned on that turn, in spite of haste
    You can interpret it that way but 3.5's language really isn't consistent enough to make that distinction imo. The rules for MtG are far more carefully written.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater-negative planes should also work as a way to give the stag negative levels.
    Oh, and while we're at it, a spectral stag might explode pretty quickly on a major positive-dominant plane. Especially since you can't attack/damage it to remove temp hp.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is a creature, and it says "it cannot be attacked or damaged" but it can be targeted.

Couldn't you manifest Fusion on it and gain its tiny amount of HP, and more importantly, the immunity to being attacked and damaged? You'd cease to exist at the end of the spell, but surely there's a way around that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Interesting idea. Fusion can be dismissed, so just make sure to do that before the Spectral Stag spell runs out.

If you go with the "Astral Seed launders temporary effects into permanent changes" interpretation, which I don't recommend, then this is another improvement to the godlike power you get from that.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2022-06-24 at 02:40 PM.