A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Probs. Also, if it's a subtle difference, why is it annoying when people don't get it?
    That was supposed to be Sarcasm.

Someone compared mutants to Quirks from My Hero Academic. I pointed out that, given the manga author's demonstrated love of American Superher comics there was probably a deliberate explanation and cited several facts that apply to both.

...And someone got up in my ace about how "quirks are the majority of the population" and "not everyone with a quirk automatically likes each other" to disprove the parallel.

...I pointed out that Mutants would be the majority population if, historically, first-generation mutants weren't commonly murdered as changelings or executed as monsters and witches and that it took 21 genocides for mutants to all be on the same general side and they still don't like each other.

Then someone claimed that half of the attempts to genocide mutants were done by mutants...

And the given examples were Stryfe releasing the Legacy Virus(fair,) Mister Sinister sending the orignal Marauder's to slaughter the Morlocks(fair,) a brainwashed xAvier being made to attempt to psyhcic every mutant in the world to death(not fair, that was done at behest of Willaim Stryker, a human,) Wanda Maximoff's "no more mutants,"(questionable, given that she wasn't in her right mind, was being manipulated by Doctor
    Doom at the time, and they keep flipflopping on whether or not she's even a mutant in the firs place) Everything subline ever did becuase he tried to posess BEast that one tme(not even worth responding too) and Cassandra Nova's attack on Genosha and later attempt to infect all humans with nanomachines that owoudl make them kill mutants on sight,(Not fair, Cassandra Nova is a demon wearing a mutant skin suit.) and Larry Trask being a Trask(Larry didn't know he was a mutant and got killed by his own Sentinels as a result)

You'll notice that that is less than half, right? And some of those weren't among the 21 genocides I was referring to(there's been more than that, I was only referring to the nation ide or larger attempts)

Once you cut out the ones that are not the responsibility of mutants you get Stryfe being an ******* and Mister Sinister having one specific and rather small population of mutants killed to cover up that he experimented on them. Not quite the repeated world wide attempts by motivated entirely by bigotry that I was referring to.

...And then people insisted that Cassandra counted becuase she was a mutant and if Sinister counted as a mutant then Cassandra did.

While the orignal Nathaniel Essex was a baseline human, every incarnation of him we've seen was a clone born with mutant DNA that was created while the previous incarnation wa still alive and implanted with artificial memories. And that means that each clone is, by the internal metaphysics, a discrete individual with their own soul. There was also explicitly no "continuity" between each Sinister until an incarnation began using what he learned from studying the Phalanx, a techno-organic species that naturally possessed a hive mind, to link all of the extant clones together and by that point the original, human Nathaniel Essex was long dead. TI's just that the individual Sinisters didn't give a crap that they weren't the "real" one.

The current Mister Sinister counts as a mutant becuase he's the latest in a long line of genetic chimera who were all born a mutant.

Cassandra Nova is, quite blatantly and explicitly, a malevolent spiritual parasite wearing a meat suit synthesized out of Charles Xavier's DNA becuase she latched onto him and decided to make herself his evil equal and opposite. Her claims to be the twin sister he murdered in the womb are, while losly based on facts(she first tried to incarnate prenatally and, had he not sensed her malevolence and instinctively acted to destroy her, would have been "born" and his "twin") are an attempt by her to screw with Xavier' reputation or elect sympathy from people she's trying to manipulate.

She is no more a mutant, except by an edge technicality, than I am a T-shirt.

I left the conversation when it became clear that people either refused to acknowledge basic facts that are explicitly spelled out in the media when they get in the way of their opinions or started insulting me directly.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-08-04 at 11:16 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to regret asking, but what does any of this have to do with the difference between "tweaked clones with the memories of the original" and "clone-possessing demons".

Also, purely out of curiosity, in what amount of in-universe time did these 21 genocides happen?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #723

[QUOTE=Fyraltari;25539894]I'm going to regret asking, but what does any of this have to do with the difference between "tweaked clones with the memories of the original" and "clone-possessing demons".[quote]...Tha'ts noted int eh post.

People were insisting that Cassandra Nova, a demon wearing a meat suit of mutant flesh, was a mutant solly becuase Mister Sinister, a genetically modified clone of a human, counts as one.

Also, purely out of curiosity, in what amount of in-universe time did these 21 genocides happen?
    That's a difficult question to answer.

Now and Then, the children of Eternity who respectively embidy the Present and the Past, love stories about superheros and maintain a self-updating libraryof them, and so grant "extra time" to various heroes, villains, and their supporting characters which manifest in those individuals experiencing more in less subjective time and not aging.

So objectively it's been 60 over years in-universe since the Fantastic four went into space, but as far as anyone who isn't a minor bit character is concerned it's been maybe 15.

All of the major attempted genocides happened in that time.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Only two and a half days until my eye gets scraped by a metal thingy!

Then it's just a matter of months until I can get lenses, hopefully I'll be able to read my Christmas presents this year!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

Then it's just a matter of months until I can get lenses, hopefully I'll be able to read my Christmas presents this year!
    ...Would you like a hug? It sounds like you need a hug.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm so sorry to hear that.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds fun!

At least, more fun than having the gel sucked out of an eye, which still bothered me less than I thought it would. Hopefully I'll get to have a second one of those soon, to get the temporary replacement oil (that's holding my retina where it's supposed to be so it reattaches there, but also causes all sorts of distortions) sucked out, and then I'll theoretically be able to see clearly out of both eyes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Never has depth perception sounded so overrated
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Don't think about the depth perception, think about the redundancy.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    What's the point if you can't lose even the one?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #731
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ah, not a M*A*S*H fan, I see.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

The point is not getting to where I can't lose even the one. My late aunt felt her vision wasn't worth the trouble for a long time, and when she finally changed her mind it was too late for her eye.

Sure, having two good eyes feels a bit like a luxury now; but I'd like the opportunity to get it back and not take it for granted.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...Would you like a hug? It sounds like you need a hug.
    Eh, it's fine. Had it done once before, the worse part is the two weeks until my vision gets back to 'bad'.

Sounds fun!

At least, more fun than having the gel sucked out of an eye, which still bothered me less than I thought it would. Hopefully I'll get to have a second one of those soon, to get the temporary replacement oil (that's holding my retina where it's supposed to be so it reattaches there, but also causes all sorts of distortions) sucked out, and then I'll theoretically be able to see clearly out of both eyes.
    Yeah, that sounds a bit less fun. At least I'm only getting the outside of my eyes redone.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #734

Today I've learned that there is evidence of a symbiotic relationship between wolves and ravens.

Ravens will apparently not only draw the attention of wolf packs o fresh carrion so that the wolves will tear it open(providing sustenance for both) but that ravens have been observed playing with wolf cubs and there's even evidence that suggests that individual ravens will form bonds with a specific individual wolf.

This is a good day.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Today I've learned that there is evidence of a symbiotic relationship between wolves and ravens.

Ravens will apparently not only draw the attention of wolf packs o fresh carrion so that the wolves will tear it open(providing sustenance for both) but that ravens have been observed playing with wolf cubs and there's even evidence that suggests that individual ravens will form bonds with a specific individual wolf.

This is a good day.
    I am correct in suspecting you enjoy learnign things one topic at a time?
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

This is a good day.
    Let's give it ten thousand years and see which species domesticates the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Trust me, learning stuff six topics at a time just ends up with it being six years later and you've explained to your girlfriend's parents how Maxwell built the pyramids. That's never a good look, especially because you've probably travelled through some niche anime fact and Project Orion.

Resist the temptation! One at a time is more than enough! Well, except for relationships, there I apply a rule of 'the more the merrier'.

Show

17. - Top - End - #737

That depends, do you also suspect that I'd enjoy helping a coven of witches burn down the patriarchy?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

That depends, do you also suspect that I'd enjoy helping a coven of witches burn down the patriarchy?
    Isn't that just a standard girls night out?

Show

19. - Top - End - #739

Isn't that just a standard girls night out?
    My gender is either male or N/A depending on the exact definition of a bunch of terms I can't keep straight.

By definition, if I'm involved it's not Girls Night Out.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Who wouldn't?
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #741

Who wouldn't?
    The patriarchy? I imagine that they wouldn't enjoy being set on fire.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #742

Let's give it ten thousand years and see which species domesticates the other.
    The birds. They're way more intelligent.
    Who wouldn-
    Who wouldn't?
    Dammit, Fyraltari!

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

The patriarchy? I imagine that they wouldn't enjoy being set on fire.
    But they would suspect you, yes? Also, how many beardos and/or weirdos are you inviting?
    Who wouldn-

Dammit, Fyraltari!
    Héhéhé.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-08-06 at 07:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744

Also, how many beardos and/or weirdos are you inviting?
    This many.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I just don't understand why some people make a big deal about a certain scene in a children's movie that everyone gets so upset about.

Spoiler: To Explain More What I'm Talking About
    Show
    There is a scene where a lesbian couple kissing in the movie called Lightyear
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

My gender is either male or N/A depending on the exact definition of a bunch of terms I can't keep straight.

By definition, if I'm involved it's not Girls Night Out.
    If it's not a standard girls night out then you clearly know the wrong ladies. Whether or not a man occasionally tags along doesn't change that

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just don't understand why some people make a big deal about a certain scene in a children's movie that everyone gets so upset about.

Show
    Unfortunately any discussion of the backlash to that or any other two second scene could get political fast. Suffice to say that some people aren't big fans of lesbians.

Show

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post

Show
    Have you never made a big deal out of the content of some movies?

28. - Top - End - #748

Comic Book Trivia: Once, while visiting the Sanctum Sanctorum, Spider-Man joked that Doctor Strange probably had Cthulhu trapped in a Coke bottle somewhere in the building.

Wong dismissed this joke... And then started to explain what they actually had Cthlulhu trapped in before being cut off.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Have you never made a big deal out of the content of some movies?
    Don't be silly, reasonable people don't do that. Did I ever claim to be reasonable?

Comic Book Trivia: Once, while visiting the Sanctum Sanctorum, Spider-Man joked that Doctor Strange probably had Cthulhu trapped in a Coke bottle somewhere in the building.

Wong dismissed this joke... And then started to explain what they actually had Cthlulhu trapped in before being cut off.
    Going by my admittedly limited knowledge of the Lovecraft Mythos, I'd guess they're trapped in a burning sense of indifference towards such a pitiful species such as ud.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-08-07 at 10:17 AM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Going by my admittedly limited knowledge of the Lovecraft Mythos, I'd guess they're trapped in a burning sense of indifference towards such a pitiful species such as ud.
    Nah, he's trapped by naptime.
    Forum Wisdom