A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,494 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    I bought a powder that you're supposed to mix with water to make your cells absorb the water more quickly.

    I tried combining it with an energy drink.

    It works. Very awake after five minutes. Caffeine normally takes thirty for me.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

  2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Absolutely. Without a question. Not sure how one would pronounce it otherwise, honestly.
    More along the lines of 'taco', possibly. Or Mystic Muses' seems valid, which I think would make it rhyme with Waco (TX) instead?

    .. Thwack-ow >.>

  3. - Top - End - #1473
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    McWane Science Center downtown has their third floor done up as a dragon-themed exhibit. It's pretty aweome, I gotta say.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

  4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    So it turns out the achievement for completing Bioshock on the highest difficulty without ever dying reviving at the Vita-Chamber is named "I Chose the Impossible". I can't decide if that's clever or trite.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

  5. - Top - End - #1475
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Pet Peeve: Harry Potter fanfiction that depicts Dementors as being weak to fire, especially if the OC/MC-in-name-only is being depicted as brilliant for trying to use fire on them.

    Like, god damn they're dark creatures that look like corpses whose very presence makes people feel cold. Fire is the first thing people would have tried.

    And people would have tried, becuase they're born from despair and feed on souls and happiness, leaving people either as empty shells with no awareness or else driven utterly made by the loss of any feeling other than fear and depression and the loss of every memory that was even remotely happy. Trying to destroy them would be the rational response.

    The fact that they still exist, let alone are appeased by giving them the wizarding world's criminals, suggests that whatever exploit you came up with for destroying them probably won't work. Even people who haven't an ounce of logic would have tried "kill it with fire, "hit it with the beam of instant death," "send them through the portal to the afterlife that kills any living creature that goes through it," or "transfigure them into an inanimate object and burry them somewhere."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Pet Peeve: Harry Potter fanfiction that depicts Dementors as being weak to fire, especially if the OC/MC-in-name-only is being depicted as brilliant for trying to use fire on them.

    Like, god damn they're dark creatures that look like corpses whose very presence makes people feel cold. Fire is the first thing people would have tried.

    And people would have tried, becuase they're born from despair and feed on souls and happiness, leaving people either as empty shells with no awareness or else driven utterly made by the loss of any feeling other than fear and depression and the loss of every memory that was even remotely happy. Trying to destroy them would be the rational response.

    The fact that they still exist, let alone are appeased by giving them the wizarding world's criminals, suggests that whatever exploit you came up with for destroying them probably won't work. Even people who haven't an ounce of logic would have tried "kill it with fire, "hit it with the beam of instant death," "send them through the portal to the afterlife that kills any living creature that goes through it," or "transfigure them into an inanimate object and burry them somewhere."
    In fairness, unlike the Dresdenverse, weaponizing fire seems like a fairly specific and little done thing in the potterverse. Off hand I actually cant think of any spells that spit great gouts of flame at something without getting entirely out of control. Dumbledore does it once in a very specific manner I think, but it was kind of implied to be a very advanced magic, at which point why not just use a Patronus anyway?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Maybe not the death archway, it's in a fixed location and you might not want to bring something so dangerous into somewhere so sensitive and important, especially since it seems likely neither is very well-understood so it's a big gamble. What if one spooky floating fearcloth and the other spooky hanging deathcloth ready positively to each other and now you've got a super-dementor that has the same killing property as the veil?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  8. - Top - End - #1478
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In fairness, unlike the Dresdenverse, weaponizing fire seems like a fairly specific and little done thing in the potterverse. Off hand I actually cant think of any spells that spit great gouts of flame at something without getting entirely out of control. Dumbledore does it once in a very specific manner I think, but it was kind of implied to be a very advanced magic, at which point why not just use a Patronus anyway?
    In the Movie it's depicted as Albus creating a huge storm of fire but in the book it was a pretty simple whip.

    According to supplementary materials, the "shooting sparks at each other" that's alluded to when Draco challenges Harry to a duel in the first book is an offensive spell that will burn someone on a direct hit. It's a spell with a couple of variations(mostly color related) taught in DADA that's essential "baby's first hex" with the intent of being something bright and hot to spray at something that's trying to hurt you in the hopes of burning it or scaring it off.

    The "red sparks" and "green sparks" spells that get used as emergency flares a couple of times in the books are apparently the same spell.

    The Bluebell Flame spell, while it doens't really "burn" things and is cool enough to be carried around in a jar, also has offensive capabilities—namely Hermione using it to set Snape on fire when she thought he was cursing Harry and later using it to fight off the Devil's snare(the movie changed both scenes.) Spin-off games often use it as an offensive spell against certain enemies that the standard knock-back spell won't work on.

    So using fire as a weapon might not be super common but it's not an alien concept in-universe either.

    In particular, it's said to be the standard method of dealing with Inferi—corpses reanimated by dark magic—so it is something that people consider.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In the Movie it's depicted as Albus creating a huge storm of fire but in the book it was a pretty simple whip.

    According to supplementary materials, the "shooting sparks at each other" that's alluded to when Draco challenges Harry to a duel in the first book is an offensive spell that will burn someone on a direct hit. It's a spell with a couple of variations(mostly color related) taught in DADA that's essential "baby's first hex" with the intent of being something bright and hot to spray at something that's trying to hurt you in the hopes of burning it or scaring it off.

    The "red sparks" and "green sparks" spells that get used as emergency flares a couple of times in the books are apparently the same spell.

    The Bluebell Flame spell, while it doens't really "burn" things and is cool enough to be carried around in a jar, also has offensive capabilities—namely Hermione using it to set Snape on fire when she thought he was cursing Harry and later using it to fight off the Devil's snare(the movie changed both scenes.) Spin-off games often use it as an offensive spell against certain enemies that the standard knock-back spell won't work on.

    So using fire as a weapon might not be super common but it's not an alien concept in-universe either.

    In particular, it's said to be the standard method of dealing with Inferi—corpses reanimated by dark magic—so it is something that people consider.
    I mean, knowing it exists is a far cry from being able to weaponize it effectively, especially against something that passively makes it hard to focus and is actively trying to kill you. I want to say its mentioned once that Dementors dont like light and heat, and presumably being set on fire would suck, but short of hitting them with a burning torch or throwing a lantern at them, I dont know that the wizards can really do that conveniently.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-09-03 at 10:13 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    We are quick approaching the end of the thread, someone whose turn it is should make a new one.
    Avatar by Moss. Myself as a unicorn in a Megaman-esque setting.

    My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

  11. - Top - End - #1481
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, knowing it exists is a far cry from being able to weaponize it effectively, especially against something that passively makes it hard to focus and is actively trying to kill you.
    I'm just saying, people logically would have tried to destroy them before they settled on "appease them and try to limit the conditions in which they 'breed*"

    And fire would have probably been one of the first things someone considered when trying to come up with ways to kill them. They're cold, they're associated with darkness, death, and decay, and they look like rotting corpses. It's not some huge leap of logic to assume fire, seeing as how fire is warm, bright, and is commonly used to burn out decay or dispose of corpses.

    so Genius Fanfic Protagonist being a genius for setting the dark, cold corpsemen on fire is just kind of irritating.

    (Per supplemental materials they can't be killed or destroyed. They just are. If Poltergeists are spirits of chaos and mischief, Dementors are spirits of death and depression. It is implied that they'll eventually 'die' off, in a manner of speaking, if you limit the conditions in which they thrive but they also spontaneously manifest wherever conditions are right, just growing out of the ground like a fungus.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm just saying, people logically would have tried to destroy them before they settled on "appease them and try to limit the conditions in which they 'breed*"

    And fire would have probably been one of the first things someone considered when trying to come up with ways to kill them. They're cold, they're associated with darkness, death, and decay, and they look like rotting corpses. It's not some huge leap of logic to assume fire, seeing as how fire is warm, bright, and is commonly used to burn out decay or dispose of corpses.

    so Genius Fanfic Protagonist being a genius for setting the dark, cold corpsemen on fire is just kind of irritating.

    (Per supplemental materials they can't be killed or destroyed. They just are. If Poltergeists are spirits of chaos and mischief, Dementors are spirits of death and depression. It is implied that they'll eventually 'die' off, in a manner of speaking, if you limit the conditions in which they thrive but they also spontaneously manifest wherever conditions are right, just growing out of the ground like a fungus.)
    Would they have though? I mean, wizards by their own admissions know very, very little about any nonhuman sapience. Its very easy to imagine the wizards just herding them into Azkaban and just leaving them there in their box... and heck, thats basically exactly what happened. Its not like the wizards secretly were trying to exterminate them and just couldnt figure out how, after all. They just assumed they were the smartest ones in the room and that they cleverly manipulated the dementors to serve their own ends.

    Theres no real reason to assume that the wizards tried and failed to burn the dementors out when A: they dont appear to have a ready ability to weaponize and deploy fire without destroying everything else too, and B: they already had a specific spell to fight them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  13. - Top - End - #1483
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Would they have though? I mean, wizards by their own admissions know very, very little about any nonhuman sapience. Its very easy to imagine the wizards just herding them into Azkaban and just leaving them there in their box... and heck, thats basically exactly what happened. Its not like the wizards secretly were trying to exterminate them and just couldnt figure out how, after all. They just assumed they were the smartest ones in the room and that they cleverly manipulated the dementors to serve their own ends.

    Theres no real reason to assume that the wizards tried and failed to burn the dementors out when A: they dont appear to have a ready ability to weaponize and deploy fire without destroying everything else too, and B: they already had a specific spell to fight them.
    You're operating on the assumption that the Patronus Charm was invented first and that Azkaban was the first solution floated to the problem of "immortal embodiments of depression and death that feed on human souls."

    I find that to be an odd assumption, given Wizardkind's habit of destroying dangerous creatures that make themselves a threat to humanity.

    On fire: they do have spells to weaponize fire. According to the wiki there are 63 known magics that involve fire in some way and just a cursory look at the list shows plenty of ones with offensive uses(the blasting curse, which causes a fiery explosion, seems pretty basic.)

    On The Patronus Charm... Given that the Fantastic Beasts book establishes that his charm also works on Lethifolds, which are mundane ambush predators, and the books depicts the Patronus as just running up and knocking the mentor around until it leaves rather than some "radiates repulsive magic" effect like in the movie I'm not sure that the Patronus was something someone invented to deal with Dementors and more something someone just threw at the wall and figured out worked. Regardless, there's no indication that it was the first thing anyone tried.

    (Especially given that PAtornuses are literally made of something that Dementors eat.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    rational response.
    There's your problem.Nothing in the Wizarding World makes any kind of sense.
    Forum Wisdom

    Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

  15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There's your problem.Nothing in the Wizarding World makes any kind of sense.
    Wait, you're saying Harry Potter doesn't use Sandersonian Magic?


    Honestly, it's possible or even likely that fire works to at least drive them off. Set up a barrier of fire and it's feasible they won't cross it. Set one on fire and you now have a flaming dementor, which probably just burns stuff near it (particularly if it panics). But I don't see it being more effective against them than against humans, their coldness is the feeling of death.

    The Patronus, as I understand it, is concentrated life/soul essence, and counteracts their aura when present. It hurts them in the same way that a rampaging cow can hurt a human. But it's a relatively advanced and specific spell, wizards probably had a less effective method of driving them off before developing it
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  16. - Top - End - #1486
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    The problem, mainly, is that these kinds of stories portray the protagonist as being so god-damned clever for setting the damn things on fire.

    As if they were the first person to think of something so obvious.

    when nine times out of ten you can just assume that people have already tried the obvious solution.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-09-04 at 08:17 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The problem, mainly, is that these kinds of stories portray the protagonist as being so god-damned clever for setting the damn things on fire.

    As if they were the first person to think of something so obvious.

    when nine times out of ten you can just assume that people have already tried the obvious solution.
    A point is made in the first couple books that wizards are, as a group, complete morons. A logic puzzle was considered to be a defense equal to not one, but two different giant death monsters, and everything about Hagrid with the Chamber of Secrets was a complete disaster, both times.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The problem, mainly, is that these kinds of stories portray the protagonist as being so god-damned clever for setting the damn things on fire.

    As if they were the first person to think of something so obvious.

    when nine times out of ten you can just assume that people have already tried the obvious solution.
    Oh yeah, I agree, that's stupid. If I had a magic wand and was facing an aggressive monster setting it on fire would be like the second thing I tried.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    A point is made in the first couple books that wizards are, as a group, complete morons. A logic puzzle was considered to be a defense equal to not one, but two different giant death monsters, and everything about Hagrid with the Chamber of Secrets was a complete disaster, both times.
    To be fair the house of supposed clever clogs apparently can't see the issues with locking the dormitory behind an ever changing trivia question. Or the fact that most wizards don't know what guns are despite living alongside muggles. Or the unnecessarily enchanted books. The list goes on.

    EDIT: Huh I'm eligible, workshoping thread titles now
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-09-04 at 08:53 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #1489
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So it turns out the achievement for completing Bioshock on the highest difficulty without ever dying reviving at the Vita-Chamber is named "I Chose the Impossible". I can't decide if that's clever or trite.
    It's Bioshock the answer is yes, full-chested and with pride.

  20. - Top - End - #1490
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    A point is made in the first couple books that wizards are, as a group, complete morons. A logic puzzle was considered to be a defense equal to not one, but two different giant death monsters, and everything about Hagrid with the Chamber of Secrets was a complete disaster, both times.
    Hermione says that wizards don't have an ounce of logic... But Hermione is 12 at the time and her know-it-all syndrome is a noted flaw of hers that recurs through the novels.

    As it is, in the context of the later books it seems that the challenges guardian the stone wasn't... Meant to be defenses. The going consensus I've seen is that they were meant to either 1: Feed Tom's ego and convince him that the Mirror of Erised was another puzzle to be solved, insuring that he'd be ensnared by it like almost happened to Harry and, per Dumbledore, happened to many in the past who wasted away starring at it or 2: Given that Harry seems to think that Dumbledore wanted to give Harry a chance to figure things out on his own, possibly tests of Harry's abilities, or those of whatever friends he'd make.

    I mean... Look at it this way, Albus knows that there's a prophecy that says that Harry or Tom will have to kill each other. Albus's goals in the book are 1: Get rid of Tom for good and 2: find some way to defeat Tom without having to sacrifice Harry or, barring that, give the boy as long and happy/normal a life as he possibly could give the circumstances.

    Knowing if Harry is an adventurous and heroic boy who will need to be trained up and educated to fight Tom when he's old enough or an ordinary boy who will need to be protected from Tom is important information to have, as is what his aptitudes are.

    And well, it's an awful coincidence that the mirror of Erised was somewhere where Harry could stumble across it at the same time Albus decided to return the Invisibility Cloak to Harry. And no reason at all to have Hagrid pick up the stone from the bank at the same time as he was helping harry do his school shopping when Albus presumably could have had someone pick it up at any time.

    Regarding the second book... I mean, Fudge is incompetent and corrupt. That's pretty transparent throughout his major appearances in the series. That's just one guy.

    And fifty years prior, well... He was keeping a powerful and dangerous dark creature as a pet. Even if there hadn't been attacks in the school he probably would have been expelled over it. And that's pretty much all that happened, he was expelled but there's no evidence of criminal charges being filed against him. Combine that with racism against half-breeds and of course nobody is going to think twice about blaming him for the "accident."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-09-04 at 09:06 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hermione says that wizards don't have an ounce of logic... But Hermione is 12 at the time and her know-it-all syndrome is a noted flaw of hers that recurs through the novels.
    Counterpoint: The invisible book of invisibility. Not only did somebody made the bloody thing, but people actually bought them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  22. - Top - End - #1492
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Counterpoint: The invisible book of invisibility. Not only did somebody made the bloody thing, but people actually bought them.
    1: We don't know if people bought them, only that the bookstore stocked them.

    2: given that it's a single one-off line by an exasperated clerk, it may have been a joke.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1: We don't know if people bought them, only that the bookstore stocked them.

    2: given that it's a single one-off line by an exasperated clerk, it may have been a joke.
    I mean its obviously a joke, but its a trend. Aggressive or useless textbooks, flying on brooms instead of, you know, anything more comfortable, the logic puzzle, their complete and utter apathy to things that they quite literally live next to...

    Wizards, as a whole, are not ever portrayed as anything other than a bunch of fools who kind of lucked into their current level of comfort.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •