New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If anyone is interested, TeamFourStar has started posting DBZA with creator commentary on one of their side channels.
    Yeah, that might be a good break in between watching Wh40k lore videos for the Jumpers Vs. 40k freeform game, there is a LOT of lore for that universe, its impressively world-built in its intricacy and how each thing is thought out, there is lot of interesting scenarios I can do just from finding some obscure thing that happened in 40k canon and expanding on the possibility or questioning whether one of the more ridiculous piece of lore as whether its really true or just propaganda that wouldn't work in reality because the great thing about 40k canon is that its all built to be not entirely reliable or completely accurate- there is room to change details of how this or that works without actually breaking the setting because what we know about the setting isn't meant to be examined uncritically.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

A thought occurred to me. There's a trope about precursors disappearing and leaving information for the 'modern' races to find. But that information is always on computers, and pretty much every major storage medium has been less durable than the one before it. Can we really expect precursor SSDs to work?

Surely what you'd want to do in that situation is something like carving the information into granite or etching it into metal and then putting it into a hermetically sealed chamber.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    A thought occurred to me. There's a trope about precursors disappearing and leaving information for the 'modern' races to find. But that information is always on computers, and pretty much every major storage medium has been less durable than the one before it. Can we really expect precursor SSDs to work?

Surely what you'd want to do in that situation is something like carving the information into granite or etching it into metal and then putting it into a hermetically sealed chamber.
    In my experience it tends to be weird psychic stuff. But even, they wouldn't be precursors if they didn't have magic superscience, so they could probably design a system that endure in geological time.

That said, there's a pretty funny scene in the last book of the Three-Body Problem where the people trying to archive all of human knowledge in the likely event mankind gets atomized soon run into this exact problem and settle on rock carvings.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Bugbear in the Playground

If powered down, cooled to near absolute zero, stored in vacuum and shielded against cosmic rays and magnetic fields then maybe? Of course you can't just leave it sitting out there without any precautions against gradual deterioration of the storage medium over time. Some level of sci-fi handwaving would help and that's probably what a lot of fiction does.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard
    I remember reading about a plan to mark sites of nuclear wastes using information engraved on gold discs to warn off possible future, but less technologically advanced humans along with making the overall area as unappealing as possible with lots of ugly, jagged rock formations. It's also a really cool example of turning something mundane (toxic waste) into this mythical, cursed area with all kinds of legends being told about it in surrounding villages.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That said, there's a pretty funny scene in the last book of the Three-Body Problem where the people trying to archive all of human knowledge in the likely event mankind gets atomized soon run into this exact problem and settle on rock carvings.
    I'm nearly at the end of The Three-Body Problem:

Spoiler
    Show
    Some of the members of the ETO strike me as absolutely delusional for thinking the Trisolarans will solve mankind's problems. It's like 1. Invite Trisolaran invasion force. 2. ???. 3. Everything is better now!

The Adventists in the ETO want the Trisolarans to wipe out mankind, so they seem to have a better understanding of how contact with them will turn out. It's still a pretty major assumption on Evans' part to think that the Trisolarans will treat Earths non-human species any better, though. Alternatively, he is aware he's gambing with their future as well, but thinks it's worth the risk because he's completely written off humanity.
    Last edited by Form; 2022-08-21 at 07:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I'm nearly at the end of The Three-Body Problem:

Spoiler
    Show
    Some of the members of the ETO strike me as absolutely delusional for thinking the Trisolarans will solve mankind's problems. It's like 1. Invite Trisolaran invasion force. 2. ???. 3. Everything is better now!

The Adventists in the ETO want the Trisolarans to wipe out mankind, so they seem to have a better understanding of how contact with them will turn out. It's still a pretty major assumption of Evans' part to think that the Trisolarans will treat Earths non-human species any better, though. Alternatively, he is aware he's gambing with their future as well, but thinks it's worth the risk because he's completely written off humanity.
    These people just aren't very bright.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes probably but the problem is there is only so much information you can put on something like that. if say the precursors want to say, leave the knowledge of how to reconstruct a bunch of advanced tech to make sure civilization can rebuild itself to their heights, it'd be incredibly impractical to put the information on such tablets due to the vast amount of information in science, technology and so on it would involve.

though really, from what I can see the issue is never really brought up; most works just outright ignore it and reveal far more than just mere messages as surviving- entire ruins and structures and ancient super weapons and so on. the assumption being that somehow they just....survived somehow. and since no one knows how this tech works, no one knows how they engineered around erosion and decay either. is it magical? yes. but as they say.....sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and precursors like these, are always by definition sufficiently advanced in any story they come up in.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the Arthur C. Clarke short story "The Star" the ancient race put their vault of information on the furthest planet in their solar system, marked with a continent-wide pattern of radioactive elements. Although he doesn't specify what the storage mechanism used actually inside the vault is...

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

A good part of that durability progression is going to depend on whether you're talking about persistent storage or not, tapes and floppy discs were much less resilient than optical disks, and maybe even books* depending on what we're worried about.

Anyway, something that came readily to mind is some paper I saw long ago, proposing to maintain a binary state inside a quantum computer by entangling a set of quantum bits such that a single quantum bit changing state would be naturally corrected without affecting the overall state of the collection. Which I guess is a long roundabout way of getting to "a physically self-healing medium could outlast physical deformation on a solid surface". You could still use your hermetic vault; and if the explicit intent is to keep this data available, using RAID to repurpose storage as reliability in case of larger physical medium problems is an obvious approach (and if it's specifically mirroring across more than two drives, it could even be usable by whoever stumbles across the thing not knowing what it is).

The other issue to consider is the drive that reads the medium; I imagine the granite drive is going to more of a bottleneck than the granite medium, no matter how much it literally rocks. It was similar in Farscape; Crichton recorded his diary/messages to his father on a boring-even-at-the-time magnetic audio cassette, presumably because none of the hyper-advanced technology on the other side of the wormhole would involve media remotely usable if he ever managed to get his NASA IASA test space module back on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom's Blank Reg
    A nonvolatile storage medium. They're very rare. You should 'ave one.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I remember reading many years ago about long life cd/DVD type media, they were claiming to have disks capable of lasting a thousand years, I'm not sure whether you needed a special writer, I would guess you would, but I don't remember that.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-08-21 at 02:11 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

A friend suggested laser etching diamond, which seems like the most reasonable realistic suggestion.

Also writing roadblock clear, I finally decided on the name of my main character's flatmate! Now if I only had a clue for her girlfriend...

It'll mainly depend on what her nationality ends up being. That flits around every week at the moment, and I've got a few chapters to decide.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A friend suggested laser etching diamond, which seems like the most reasonable realistic suggestion.

Also writing roadblock clear, I finally decided on the name of my main character's flatmate! Now if I only had a clue for her girlfriend...

It'll mainly depend on what her nationality ends up being. That flits around every week at the moment, and I've got a few chapters to decide.
    Elisabeth. She's Irish and everybody associates her with England and it drives her up the wall.

More seriously, when choosing between multiple good options, make a decision arbitrarily and then dont look back. Its harder to second guess yourself if theres no basis for your decision in the first place to reconsider. Pull stuff out of a hat or something if you need a truly random arbiter.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that might be a good break in between watching Wh40k lore videos for the Jumpers Vs. 40k freeform game, there is a LOT of lore for that universe, its impressively world-built in its intricacy and how each thing is thought out, there is lot of interesting scenarios I can do just from finding some obscure thing that happened in 40k canon and expanding on the possibility or questioning whether one of the more ridiculous piece of lore as whether its really true or just propaganda that wouldn't work in reality because the great thing about 40k canon is that its all built to be not entirely reliable or completely accurate- there is room to change details of how this or that works without actually breaking the setting because what we know about the setting isn't meant to be examined uncritically.
    Jumpers ?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Elisabeth. She's Irish and everybody associates her with England and it drives her up the wall.

More seriously, when choosing between multiple good options, make a decision arbitrarily and then dont look back. Its harder to second guess yourself if theres no basis for your decision in the first place to reconsider. Pull stuff out of a hat or something if you need a truly random arbiter.
    When she actually appears I'll use whatever nationality I'm currently thinking of for her and change it in editing if it doesn't feel write.

Also why would anybody associate her with England when the series takes place in London? (The 'sequel' series will move around the UK beginning in the town I grew up in.) Fnar fnar put the kettle on my good chap, tally-ho!

@HalfTangible: I believe in the US they're known as 'sweaters' fnar fnar
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2022-08-21 at 07:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Jumpers ?
    You know how I mention Jumpchain every so often?

Jumper is the term for someone on a chain.

Raz is hosting a game in the free form section involving multiple jumpers getting dropped in Warhammer 40k without warning.

...I think I might have gone overboard on power level with mine though.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When she actually appears I'll use whatever nationality I'm currently thinking of for her and change it in editing if it doesn't feel write.

Also why would anybody associate her with England when the series takes place in London? (The 'sequel' series will move around the UK beginning in the town I grew up in.) Fnar fnar put the kettle on my good chap, tally-ho!

@HalfTangible: I believe in the US they're known as 'sweaters' fnar fnar
    I dunno. Cause she's Irish and it would be amusing? It wasnt really meant to be a serious suggestion.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I dunno. Cause she's Irish and it would be amusing? It wasnt really meant to be a serious suggestion.
    Ah, I thought this was just supposed to be Americans taking 'Scotland is part of England' to another level.

For the record Scotland isn't part of England. Yet. We're a bit too busy lusting after France

Show

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I thought this was just supposed to be Americans taking 'Scotland is part of England' to another level.

For the record Scotland isn't part of England. Yet. We're a bit too busy lusting after France
    You are aware that if you invade the Scots again, we are legally bound to get all up in your business again, aren't you?
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Indeed. And Ireland is not part of Scotland yet that I'm aware of.

19. - Top - End - #1189

So my town does a cardboard regatta every august.

Back in 2019 my stepfather and uncle entered a boat and won but never got the certificate, trophy, or prize money.

They were somehow declared the winners this year despite not entering.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly your stepfather and uncle somehow became Luigi Rater, because they won by doing absolutely nothing, and previously won but never got any recognition for it.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Luigi Rater
    I rate Luigi a perfect 5/7
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #1192

Clearly your stepfather and uncle somehow became Luigi Rater, because they won by doing absolutely nothing, and previously won but never got any recognition for it.
    Considering that neither of them have made well over half a billion dollars in a single night, I'm gonna say no.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Considering that neither of them have made well over half a billion dollars in a single night, I'm gonna say no.
    Well obviously they will eventually, they just need to wait for their more visible brother Mario Rater to be kidnapped by a vengeful ghost king first.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a potential lone to include in a novel or movie or what-have-you:

"I would say it was held together with superglue and good intentions, but the glue isn't exactly 'super' and the intentions are more... morally grey."
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-08-22 at 09:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Here's a potential lone to include in a novel or movie or what-have-you:

"I would say it was held together with superglue and good intentions, but the glue isn't exactly 'super' and the intentions are more... morally grey."
    I think I've read something similar, actually....

"It's barely held together with spit and chewing gum."
    "I believe their term is 'threads and wishes'."
    "Okay, then it's holding on by a thread."
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You are aware that if you invade the Scots again, we are legally bound to get all up in your business again, aren't you?
    Like we needed a reason to fight you. Is it our turn to invade this time, or do I have to learn to build a barricade?

I've heard and come up with a lot of good lines, the issue is that they need to be in context and need to be the right length not to break flow. You can't have the main character recite a Shakespearian speech while skydiving, or speak in single syllables throughout the entire date (unless you're E.L. James).

Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've heard and come up with a lot of good lines, the issue is that they need to be in context and need to be the right length not to break flow. You can't have the main character recite a Shakespearian speech while skydiving, or speak in single syllables throughout the entire date (unless you're E.L. James).
    A good line can also be used to great effect to break the flow on purpose for dramatic effect or as a deliberate stylistic choice if you think it fits.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Like we needed a reason to fight you. Is it our turn to invade this time, or do I have to learn to build a barricade?

Nonsense, it is well known that time pauses while soliloquizing.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Nonsense, it is well known that time pauses while soliloquizing.
    Or, at the very least, people start autofailing their Listen checks for as long as it is convenient for you.

30. - Top - End - #1200

does anyone know of the earliest known example of a "sandwich?"

I know the story of the name, after the Earl of Sandwich who according to legend asked for some meat stuffed between two slices of bread so he wouldn't have to worry about getting his playing cards greasy *or* stop in the middle of a hot streak but I also know that the concept of eating stewed meat poured over a slab of bread had been a thing in Europe for a good long while before that.

...I want to say that we've probably had sandwiches for as long as we've had bread, which was circa 8000 BC in Egypt, but I know very much that sometimes things you think are obvious things that everyone figured out early on... weren't.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks