New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #239 - Now 50% more tangible!

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Nonsense, it is well known that time pauses while soliloquizing.
    Only once you've rolled for initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    does anyone know of the earliest known example of a "sandwich?"

I know the story of the name, after the Earl of Sandwich who according to legend asked for some meat stuffed between two slices of bread so he wouldn't have to worry about getting his playing cards greasy *or* stop in the middle of a hot streak but I also know that the concept of eating stewed meat poured over a slab of bread had been a thing in Europe for a good long while before that.

...I want to say that we've probably had sandwiches for as long as we've had bread, which was circa 8000 BC in Egypt, but I know very much that sometimes things you think are obvious things that everyone figured out early on... weren't.
    IIRC you'd eat the stew and then potentially the bread. But that doesn't mean that other people weren't putting food within bread, it just means it probably didn't become widespread until the 18th century (at which point snooty Brits do what snooty Brits do and claim it was the aristocracy).

It's also possible that sandwiches weren't a thing or had fallen out of fashion due to the marvelous invention of pies and pasties. Once you can create a one person pie the need for a sandwich disappears until you require grease prevention at short notice. As an added bonus you can relatively easily shape pastry to make a handling area so you can eat it with dirty hands.

As an added bonus, we know that early bread was essentially solid beer. Which means it was probably tasty enough on its own.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    IIRC you'd eat the stew and then potentially the bread.
    As I've heared it, putting the stew on a large peice of bread means that you don't need to sirty a bowl or plate, which for people in th emedivial period in europe who often only had the one or two per person, was a convenience. And since you can't reuse the bread, you'd eat the bread either at the same time or once you'd slurped the soup off, not unlike an open faced sanwich.

As an added bonus, we know that early bread was essentially solid beer.
    Well duh, beer came first.

Do you think people would settle down for bread? No, they wanted the thing that numbed away their stress and pain.

The invention/discovery of beer or other forms of alcohol are what kicked off civilization. Hunter/Gathering, while much more dangerous typically, was lower in overall stress. People needed motivation to give it up for something else.

...Honestly, as an aside, a lot of the problems with modern society can be chalked up to the fact that we're still wired for the hunter/gather lifestyle millenia later. We're just good at coping outside of our element compared to other creatures
    Which means it was probably tasty enough on its own.
    Not gonna lie, in the absence of a bad recipe or a bad baker I think "bread that isn't tasty on its own" is very much a modern thing.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It will be a cold day in hell when a nice French roll or a piece of scalli bread isn’t considered tasty on its own.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

The simplest bread I know how to make - flour water yeast salt, leave it overnight and then bake, no kneading - is tasty on its own, though better with stuff on it. Almost certainly it's the modern stuff done to make it more shelf-stable that make it bleh.

Though, honestly, fair enough, too. In the summer it won't last a week outside the fridge, and most of that stale.

As far as sandwiches go, you need to take into account wraps made with flatbread - especially pocketed flatbread - as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell when a nice French roll or a piece of scalli bread isn’t considered tasty on its own.
    "If you have extraordinary bread and extraordinary butter, it's hard to beat bread and butter." - Jacque Pepin.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #1206

Things I regret: Going back and watching Family Matters again as an adult.

Urkel's infatuation with Luara did... Not age well. It's nowhere near as bad as it could be, he usually respects her boundaries and they don't get together until after she falls for him, which only happens after he backs off, but... Yeah. Early seasons especially, rather uncomfortable.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

IIRC, before plates were common, food was often served on a "trencher"; basically a large piece of bread you could eat afterwards.

You could argue anything on a trencher was an open sandwich, not unlike the endless "is X a sandwich" debates.

Thing is, while you could argue anything with bread touching something else is a sandwich, I think there's a strong argument for a sandwich being an idea. Specifically the idea that you can have deux tranche du pain avec confiture as a finger friendly (or portable) meal.

So I'd class it the same way as a Cornish pasty; there's a lot of things like it (and it was probably invented many times before). Whether you want to know about the latter, or the history of that idea specifically depends on the question you want to answer in the first place.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Thing is, while you could argue anything with bread touching something else is a sandwich,
    Any salad with crutons is a sandwich!

Also I've been hankering for a pasty since last night. Guess I need to go to the shops.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Things I regret: Going back and watching Family Matters again as an adult.

Urkel's infatuation with Luara did... Not age well. It's nowhere near as bad as it could be, he usually respects her boundaries and they don't get together until after she falls for him, which only happens after he backs off, but... Yeah. Early seasons especially, rather uncomfortable.
    Isnt the whole point of it being cringe comedy? I certainly dont enjoy such myself, but evidently there are people out there who do who are the target audience.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #1210

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Isnt the whole point of it being cringe comedy? I certainly dont enjoy such myself, but evidently there are people out there who do who are the target audience.
    No, actually. Standard late 80s early 90s Sitcom. Was originally a family sitcom but shifted to more of a fantasy sitcom in the later seasons.

The character of Urkel, played by Jaleel White, was originally a oneshot character meant as an Abhorant Admirer for eldest daughter Laura but... He proved very popular with the audience and became a major recurring character.

...And it uh... That aspect of the character? Did not age well. Nowhere near as bad as it could have been, but... Yeah.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-08-23 at 07:59 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1211

Me and my lovely girlfriend Qwertystop have been playing Ar Tonelico, and she's put together a little post about it that I think is really good and funny so give it a read!

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Me and my lovely girlfriend Qwertystop have been playing Ar Tonelico, and she's put together a little post about it that I think is really good and funny so give it a read!
    ah yes, I've seen lets plays of Ar Tonelico and it sequel, provided you don't mind the more risque parts of it, they're pretty good stories in my opinion, on par with the best Tales Of games or Xenoblade games. and the music.....ah the music. Exec_Chronicle Key is sublime and sad, angelically tragic, simply iconic of Ar Tonelico. and Method Replekia is a song that feels like the wrath of a god. dives are pretty good, basically being visual novel breaks between gameplay that you have to develop if I recall, also its the only franchise I can recall that does the "sky island world" trope well by delving into the difficulties of living on such things.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-08-23 at 11:01 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I didn't know you two were dating. You're the second GITP couple I've heard of. Which is cool but still surprising that an old-style roleplaying forum could give rise to romance.

14. - Top - End - #1214

ah yes, I've seen lets plays of Ar Tonelico and it sequel, provided you don't mind the more risque parts of it, they're pretty good stories in my opinion, on par with the best Tales Of games or Xenoblade games. and the music.....ah the music. Exec_Chronicle Key is sublime and sad, angelically tragic, simply iconic of Ar Tonelico. and Method Replekia is a song that feels like the wrath of a god. dives are pretty good, basically being visual novel breaks between gameplay that you have to develop if I recall, also its the only franchise I can recall that does the "sky island world" trope well by delving into the difficulties of living on such things.
    Baten Kaitos also delves into that a bit! Also yeah the music of Ar Tonelico is like, a major highlight of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Oh, I didn't know you two were dating. You're the second GITP couple I've heard of. Which is cool but still surprising that an old-style roleplaying forum could give rise to romance.
    Also am dating Mystic Muse (before Qwerty). Being polyamorous is a recent development, but a good one.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-08-24 at 12:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Also am dating Mystic Muse (before Qwerty). Being polyamorous is a recent development, but a good one.
    Oh, cool! Glad to hear it's going well. It's so hard for me to muster the social energy for friendships, let alone romantic relationships, so I'm impressed you're maintaining a romantic relationship with two people at once.

The GITP couple that I know of stays the exclusive couple, but you're a member of what is now the second GITP polycule I've heard of. (Alternatively, the polycule is pretty large and actually there's just one big polycule.)

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

We're also a bit off the wall in that Zodi is dating both of us, but I'm only dating Zodi.

Don't know Qwerty as well as I would like yet, and honestly not sure my brain is built for being with multiple people anyway.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Firbolg in the Playground

Meh. Relationships are for animals.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. So anyway, I'm trying Facebook dating for the very first time for finding a woman for me. I just hope that this will be a good experience for me.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Polyamory is great, the cuddles are much nicer although the kissing becomes more awkward. I need to ask my physicist friends if they've solved the four body problem.

(Alternatively, the polycule is pretty large and actually there's just one big polycule.)
    You didn't know that there's actually only one polycule on the planet? Zodi and I are merely twenty seven hinges removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    We're also a bit off the wall in that Zodi is dating both of us, but I'm only dating Zodi.

Don't know Qwerty as well as I would like yet, and honestly not sure my brain is built for being with multiple people anyway.
    Don't worry, you can always turn your hinge into a triad later if you want to. Or remain a hinge, or become two hinges, or whatever you want. INFINITE RELATIONSHIP POSSIBILITIES!!!!

I'm currently in an open quad, although two of us aren't dating anybody else. Moving together is currently waiting until we can afford a house, should only be a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. So anyway, I'm trying Facebook dating for the very first time for finding a woman for me. I just hope that this will be a good experience for me.
    Online dating is weird and depressing, but I'm glad I did it. You have to continue, you have to be willing to have some standards, and you have to remember to ask questions.

That last one is important, I never realised how boring not doing so was until I was talking to a boy who didn't want to know anything. Also vaguely insulting, when you're talking to somebody and they can't even be bothered to ask what TV you like.

I've not tried Facebook Dating, and found it worthwhile to avoid things like Tinder (which has primarily become a hookup app). But worthwhile in the end.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1220

Rules of internet dating: Don't give out personal information, block anyone who insists on it. Ignore anyone who immediately asks your height and weight but gets offended if you ask the same. Meet face to face for the first time somewhere public, do not go back to their place or take them to your place until you've met several times and have a good read on them, make sure they're not following you when you go home after the first date.

Also, anyone who doesn't respect you, your family, your pets, your property, or your boundaries does not deserve your love or respect. If you ever get the ultimatum "it's me or the X" then 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999 times out of 100 they're not worth giving up the X. Especially since they won't stop at making you give up the one thing.

The only exception is when you have some kind of harmful toxic relationship with some "friend" or "family member" but someone you just met on the internet isn't qualified to diagnose that and if they're well-meaning it'll take them a while to get to the ultimatum stage.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-08-24 at 07:58 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Tinder (which has primarily become a hookup app).
    Become? I'm fairly certain that was it's entire idea from the start.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

You didn't know that there's actually only one polycule on the planet? Zodi and I are merely twenty seven hinges removed.
    Ah, I see, it's like that forest that's all just one tree. It looks all different, but if you dig a little deeper you see it's all connected.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Comic Book Trivia: Rocket Racoon, per Rocket and Groot, DMs D&D games for the Avengers while other comics have established that he does the same for the Guardians of the Galaxy.

He wears a robe and wizard hat while doing it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Become? I'm fairly certain that was it's entire idea from the start.
    Of course it used to be different. It's no longer a great place to find secondhand furniture.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1225

Oh, cool! Glad to hear it's going well. It's so hard for me to muster the social energy for friendships, let alone romantic relationships, so I'm impressed you're maintaining a romantic relationship with two people at once.

The GITP couple that I know of stays the exclusive couple, but you're a member of what is now the second GITP polycule I've heard of. (Alternatively, the polycule is pretty large and actually there's just one big polycule.)
    Oh no it's just me and mine, I'm not part of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post

This is an entirely reasonable thing and perfectly good. Metamor's are a thing (people who share a partner but are mostly just friends themselves).

Polyamory is great, the cuddles are much nicer although the kissing becomes more awkward. I need to ask my physicist friends if they've solved the four body problem.

Given locational restraints I'm not sure when/if we'll be able to all hang out together, but it's fun to think about.

That said, Qwerty will be up visiting this Octobeeeeer! I'm super exciiiiited!

This will never happen! The mental journey I had to go on to accept it was okay for me to have this sort of love for an additional person was brutal. That's as far as I go. That said; 500% worth it.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Bugbear in the Playground

In my experience online dating is awful, speed dating is awful and dating in general is awful. But honestly, best thing to happen to me in this context was to learn to prioritize romance less, not to find romance. I've got enough on my plate as it is, so it's not as if I'll get bored or am lacking for social contact. If I run out of things* to do I'm sure I'll find something new.

Maybe I'll have another stab at dating, but at the age of 34 it kind of feels like I'm a little too late? I'm not sure where to look anymore either (other than the usual crappy options) and I'm also wondering if I even still want romance. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm aromantic, but..... I dunno, maybe? As for physical intimacy, well, there's more than 1 way to sate that desire. Anyway, so far things have been working out well enough for me, so it's not as if there's a need for change.

*which reminds me, I need some new books. Fortunately, today is the last day of my self-isolation so tomorrow I can finally go out and acquire some. Here's to hoping no one's burned down the world in my absence.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    In my experience online dating is awful, speed dating is awful and dating in general is awful. But honestly, best thing to happen to me in this context was to learn to prioritize romance less, not to find romance. I've got enough on my plate as it is, so it's not as if I'll get bored or am lacking for social contact. If I run out of things* to do I'm sure I'll find something new.

Maybe I'll have another stab at dating, but at the age of 34 it kind of feels like I'm a little too late? I'm not sure where to look anymore either (other than the usual crappy options) and I'm also wondering if I even still want romance. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm aromantic, but..... I dunno, maybe? As for physical intimacy, well, there's more than 1 way to sate that desire. Anyway, so far things have been working out well enough for me, so it's not as if there's a need for change.

*which reminds me, I need some new books. Fortunately, today is the last day of my self-isolation so tomorrow I can finally go out and acquire some. Here's to hoping no one's burned down the world in my absence.
    Good luck if you desire it. I'm 30 and I felt the same way ten years ago- and importantly, you are never "too late" for this sorta thing to happen.

As for books, I hope you get some good ones! I'm still plugging away at typo fixing and getting the map done for the prettified version of Initial Sparks, so once that's done you'll have that to look forward to

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no it's just me and mine, I'm not part of anything else.
    Guess I have to incinerate the harrm comedy fanfic I was writing about you then, all twelve words of it

This is an entirely reasonable thing and perfectly good. Metamor's are a thing (people who share a partner but are mostly just friends themselves).
    Relationships are anarchy anyway, why bother following any rules. Everybody should relationship with as many people as they want and no more! (Less is situationally acceptable.)

Given locational restraints I'm not sure when/if we'll be able to all hang out together, but it's fun to think about.

That said, Qwerty will be up visiting this Octobeeeeer! I'm super exciiiiited!

The world is too big, so make sure you do all the things together. Like books! Books are great, more people should do books

This will never happen! The mental journey I had to go on to accept it was okay for me to have this sort of love for an additional person was brutal. That's as far as I go. That said; 500% worth it.
    Oh, not saying you should go further. Polyamory is tiring at the best of times, and there's a lot of societal pressure saying that loving more than one person isn't okay.

But yes, super worth it. Being in a polycule is the best thing that ever happened to me, even if some of the more more conservative parts of my family disapprove

Show

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Bugbear in the Playground

As for books, I hope you get some good ones! I'm still plugging away at typo fixing and getting the map done for the prettified version of Initial Sparks, so once that's done you'll have that to look forward to
    The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu is next up on my chopping block and after that I'll probably grab the third book in the trilogy as well. After that I'll go for All Quiet on the Western Front, which fits my interest in military history. I do hope being an author works out for you, though as that road is.

If anyone knows of any contemporary cosmic horror (e.g. similar to Lovecraft's work) that's good, then please recommend me some!

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu is next up on my chopping block and after that I'll probably grab the third book in the trilogy as well. After that I'll go for All Quiet on the Western Front, which fits my interest in military history. I do hope being an author works out for you, though as that road is.

If anyone knows of any contemporary cosmic horror (e.g. similar to Lovecraft's work) that's good, then please recommend me some!
    I should really finish The Three Body Problem, but I'm still months away from lenses

Show