New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Was The Longest Journey supposed to be...longer?

I'm approaching the endgame of The Longest Journey, and I'm curious-- were there a couple chapters that were originally planned but wound up getting cut for budget/schedule reasons? I'm suspicious because
    Spoiler: Actually hiding a spoiler for once
    Show

You only get the first two pieces of the disk after extended adventures, but the last two pieces and both of the gems are just handed to you within, like, fifteen minutes of each other and separated by nothing but story (and I guess the reforging-the-disk puzzle, but that was pretty short and simple).

I was expecting additional adventures before getting the Dark People and Venar pieces.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2022-06-24 at 09:54 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Was The Longest Journey supposed to be...longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I'm approaching the endgame of The Longest Journey, and I'm curious-- were there a couple chapters that were originally planned but wound up getting cut for budget/schedule reasons? I'm suspicious because
    Spoiler: Actually hiding a spoiler for once
    Show

You only get the first two pieces of the disk after extended adventures, but the last two pieces and both of the gems are just handed to you within, like, fifteen minutes of each other and separated by nothing but story (and I guess the reforging-the-disk puzzle, but that was pretty short and simple).

I was expecting additional adventures before getting the Dark People and Venar pieces.
    I saw the swift handing of the last two pieces as a fun twist/deconstruction, myself. I mean, as brilliant as the game is, it's already pretty long, and every game enjoys a timely wrap-up IMO.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was some cut content, like that terminal in the beginning actually providing a lot of information about the world, but I'm not aware of whole chapters being scrapped.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

it,s very good and longer game. The game was a commercial success, with sales in excess of 500,000 units by 2004, and was acclaimed by critics