New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default On To Greater Things [IC]

Midwater's most popular inn, the Constable's Tabernacle, is run by a man named Bill. Bill's a big guy-easily 8' tall, and thick with muscle. His face is well-worn with laughter and smiles, and he's a gentle giant.

Misha is working her shift, nearing its end at the moment. It's been a busy day-the weather outside is a little grim, so lots of people want good drinks and a warm fire.
    Nal'Eya has just finished a small display outside-some knucklehead challenged her to a fight, and was promptly trounced.
    Tinsley is there, getting a drink for himself.

Thunder cracks outside, but inside, the fire is warm and the company pleasant. At least, until Bloom enters-he's accompanied by a cacophonous BOOM of thunder, and a small jet of rain comes in before he closes the door. There's a slight sense of unease-something about the firbolg's presence that just raises the hairs on your neck. Bill looks over, and breaks the silence. "Hey there, friend!" he calls over. "Warm up by the fire-I'll bring you a warm bowl of stew, on the house." People resume their chatter, with not more than an occasional glance Bloom's way.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bloom, your dreams have been getting more intense. Midwater destroyed, in various different ways-it's hard to find a pattern, but you get a good sense that whatever the peril is, it's drawing nearer and nearer.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-06-26 at 02:41 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: On To Greater Things [IC]

Tinsley

Though he had observed the … forest giant’s… surprising entrance alongside the other patrons, Tinsley is the first to turn back to his drink, with a whispered ”Nope.”

He would mind his own business. Unfortunately, he wasn’t alone.

A cat leaps off of Tinsley’s shoulder, dashes through and around the other patrons and, in true reflection of her owner’s inner thoughts, approaches the giant as he sits down, leaping up onto the table to stare into his eyes.

Tinsley is slowed by the small crowd, but within a few seconds, manages to scoop the cat up.

“Er, I would beg your pardon, sir,” he says, stroking the cat’s black-and-grey mottled coat, “Scruggins here has yet to learn how dangerous curiosity is for her like.”

The cat simply mewls lightly and settles into her owner’s arms with a soft purr.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-06-24 at 06:33 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sitting at the edge of a window - closest to the fire, of course - Misha had been idly tuning her lute and playing some gentle melodies as she watched Nal’Eya fight outside in the storm. The angle wasn’t great for viewing but moving around too much was more likely to result in being noticed by Bill.

Misha had long established a careful approach to working in the inn: tuck herself into a corner or out of the way and play quietly. It wasn’t foolproof but it tended to have the greatest chance of avoiding having to serve drinks and food to the patrons. She knew Bill was wise to it by now but it was always worth a shot.

With Bloom’s entrance, she contemplated wandering over to see if he had any news or a new tale to spin but she was comfortable and had nearly reached the end of her shift. Turns out the lad with the cat, Tinsley, might do that work for her, though, as she twisted ever so slightly for a better look at this novel encounter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

The dreams had been getting worse. Last night, Bloom had even seen the faces of people in midwater as they ran, panicked. There was no mistake anymore: the visions were indeed about Midwater.

Bloom made it to the Constable's Tabernacle just before the rain started in earnest. A dark shadow hung under Blooms usually jovial eyes. He attempted to keep his hair in a long braid, but the silent breeze that came with the visions made it difficult.

He was afraid of looking people in the eye, he was afraid of seeing the faces he had seen in the dreams. He somberly walked to a table and sat down.

A tiny cat meowed and stared at the firbolg's face. Bloom let go a honest laugh.

Using his natural gift to communicate with animals he told the cat:

--Hi there friend. Are you bored?

He reached for his cloak pocket and pulled out a small ball made of moss and branches and placed it on the table.

--Scruggins -He said- that's a clever name for a cat. The name is Bloom. Please, don't apologize for Scruggins, it is only natural. I don't think I have seen you around. Please, sit down.

He waves a hand at Misha.

The usual, dear. How's the father?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Sufficiently pet, Scruggins climbs up and retakes her position lounging across Tinsley’s neck.

”So, you’re a local, then. I’ve just blown in, y’see.” While he’s talking, he picks up a fork from the table and starts spinning it between his fingers. Just sort of go where the wind takes me, put on a show for folks.”

He snaps his fingers, and the fork disappears in a puff of smoke. He feigns confusion, looking around for a few seconds, before he glares at his cat.

“Oi. What’re you playing at, eh? Give it!”

He reaches underneath her collar and produces the fork.

“Can’t help herself around shiny things, sometimes. You can take the cat off the street… Anyway, what’s the word on this place? Seems a bit quiet for its size, but that doesn’t always mean things are dull.”

Show
    Mediocre Perform check along with some Prestidigitation
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-06-26 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Misha gave the firbolg an indignant look, gesturing at her lute before she begrudgingly rose and slung the instrument over her shoulder. She made her way over to Bill at the bar who was already getting a bowl of stew ready. She fixed the drink then made her way over.

She caught the tail end of Tinsley’s trick and chuckled. Placing the stew and drink in front of Bloom, Misha plopped down onto a seat next to him. ”Dinner and a show? We spoil you here,” she muttered good-naturedly. Shifting a little, she drew one foot up onto the stool and rested her chin on her knee. ”Nice trick,” she said, eyeing Tinsley and his cat. ”Particularly impressed with your assistant. That’s the real talent, I’d say.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

A chilly burst of wind burst through the open door of the inn.
    The cloaked form of a redhead female rushes through and shuts the door behind her.
    She stands for a moment infront of the entrance, taking in the room.
    Attired in a manner, that the common & prude would describe as scantily dressed or provocative at best,
    but those who have had traveled or had their share of adventuring would brush off as comfortable and practical.
    Either way, the protruding, weathered hilt over her shoulder of the elegant sword currently sheathed on her back
    left little room for the "Holier than thou" to pester her.
    Scanning the room she quickly finds a seat near a wall, with no direct line of sight to the window.
    Spoiler: Characters' Codex
    Show

The following are character concepts that are created as TheoryCraft, and i would be most delighted to try in a game.

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier
    Sources used: Core, Monsters of the Multiverse, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn
    Looking for an adventure...

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Tinsley takes the jibe in stride.

”Oh, you’ve got no idea how hard it is to find good help these days. Scruggins has been a godsend. Kids love her, too.”

He almost turns around to head back, but the door blows open and in walks an a wandering swordswoman. Right across his path. Instead, he follows the giant’s urging and pulls up a chair to sit. He addresses the barmaid.

“I was planning to put on a bit of an act later this evening. Maybe you’d like to offer some musical accompaniment?”

A joint performance, he thinks to himself. That’s all this is going to be. Purely business.

Surely this humble barmaid and her giant friend aren’t part of fate’s machinations to get him to try again at being something he’s not.

Right?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-06-28 at 08:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

After tending to a few others, Bill makes his way to where you've all gathered. "You alright there, my tall friend?" he asks Bloom. "You've got a look about you. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting things, but... Well, I try to help where I can."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Bloom

He had seen the cloaked woman outside the Constable, she surely put the other guy in his place. An air of bravado around her, not much Bloom's type of a person. Seemed always on her toes.

Tinsley he liked, and the cat, definitely the cat.

Yeah, you can say I'm a local. I have been in these woods since Midwater was a hamlet. Me and the Petalborne go far. Even if Misha here acts rude on me.

He gave a broad smile, but a shadow hung over it giving it an air of sad grimace.

The firbolg looked up at Bill, the only human who towered over him. Surely some giant blood in him, and one of the faces he had seen, distorted by fear, in his dream. He flinched.

Yah, Bill, I have had some trouble sleeping. I have an eerie feeling something bad's gonna happen.

11. - Top - End - #11

Misha

Misha took in the sight of the bluster of a woman entering the inn. The one from the scrap outside. Having considered the woman for a moment, Misha made a mental note to pester her for any tales she might have - the brawl outside at the very least.

Turning back to their small group, she shrugged, acknowledging Bloom’s point. ”Only a whisker more rude to you than anyone else, on account of the wholly unnecessary labours you expect of me here, within my kingdom.” She spared a quick glance at Bill. Our kingdom,” she graciously amended. ”Father’s fine, thanks - though I gather the fish aren’t as plentiful as usual,” she added as an aside.

Looking at Tinsley, she considered his suggestion, then nodded. ”I was going to ask Scruggins the very same question but, with the lack of fish, it’s likely I couldn’t her rates. So, you’ve got a deal.” She thrusts out her hand to shake. ”Misha.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

He returns the handshake with a small smile.

”The name’s Tinsley.”

There’s another puff of purple smoke when Tinsley breaks the handshake, and Misha is left holding a freshly cut rose.

He winks at her.
    “I look forward to performing with you.”

Show
    Sleight of Hand to see how well he manages this trick:

(1d20+8)[26]

Yep. I think that one’s a success.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-06-28 at 01:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Nal'Eya sits at a table not far from the one group is engaged in small talk.
    It seems that one of them is the barkeep or at least the owner.
    Nal'Eya would pretty much go for a drink right now. Something to dull her senses just enough to help her go to sleep.
    She turns towards the group, w8ing for a pause in their chatter in order to draw the man's attention.
    As she waits, the flash of a lightning spills through the window. A second or two later a thunder rumbles outside,
    translating as a hollow growl in the tavern.

Spoiler: For those that took a second glance at the redhead...
    Show
    Be nice... Don't pick if you don't succeed...
    Spoiler: Roll perception VS Deception, DC:13
    Show
    Nal'Eya seems agitated. As the lightning flashes her pupils dilate and her stare turns to the window.
    Her hand grabs the chair's back, her knuckles white from the pressure.
    The thunder comes and she flinches imperceptibly. She turns back infront of her, her head tilted slightly down.
    Show

The following are character concepts that are created as TheoryCraft, and i would be most delighted to try in a game.

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier
    Sources used: Core, Monsters of the Multiverse, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

14. - Top - End - #14

Show
    I feel like this scene is dragging just a touch. Let's figure out how to move on, shall we? Or do y'all feel you want to do more?

Bill takes a moment to step towards Nal'Eya. "Anything you need? Stew, drink, we've got it all."

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Nal'Eya looks at the tall man..
    "A glass of sweet wine will do for now" she replies
    Show

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Introductory scenes are always a bit awkward fine by me if you want to rail road us a bit

At the mention of music and performance, Bloom smacks his huge palm on his leg. That would be the perfect way to take my mind away from these dreams.

Please, I'd love to see you perform with Misha, she is quite the artist.

17. - Top - End - #17

Her hand free, though now containing a rose, Misha looked impressed. "Not half bad," she conceded. At Bloom's comment, she turned to him and grinned. "Why thank you. It is nice to be recognised." She left the rose on the firbolg's table and stood, adjusting her lute.

"Alright, Tinsley," she said, leading the way to a spot close to the fire. "Lets see how this goes." Before she was even sitting, her fingers were strumming expertly and effortlessly as she played a fairly lively accompaniment, suitable for a number of rousing folk tunes. She looked expectantly at Tinsley.

18. - Top - End - #18

Tinsley and Misha begin their performance. They get a few glances, but most of the people are happy to enjoy the background noise. But, as the show continues, the chatter dies down. People start paying attention. By the time the melody is really going, the room is silent, save for the pitter-patter of rain and the music from the pair.

It goes on for what feels like forever-though is probably not more than five or ten minutes. Misha and Tinsley play off each other, sometimes one taking the fore, then the other, then the two together in perfect harmony. Even the occasional crack of thunder is simply added to the music.

When it finally ends, there's a dead silence for just a moment. And then, the room bursts into applause! Everyone is cheering, having thoroughly enjoyed the performance.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

It had been a while since Tinsley had gotten out of character during a show. He’d usually put on the air of a mysterious traveler, here to mesmerize and bewitch, but as the show went on, he found himself going through tricks and routines he would usually use on smaller audiences or street corners, calling on audience members to pick cards or otherwise engage. He was having fun

The applause after his final trick was enough to make him genuinely smile, and he takes a bow.

”You’ve been a lovely audience, and while I certainly owe a great deal of that to the musical stylings of your own Misha over there—" he produces a top hat as he gestures toward her, setting it on a nearby table—“it’s generous contributions that keep my show on the road, y’know? Only if y’can, though; I don’t want to put anyone out!”

He leaves Scruggins to guard the hat, then moves approaches Misha to thank her properly.

“That. Was amazing! You’ve got real talent there. A perfect flair for the dramatic! We’ll definitely have to do this again next time I pass this way!”

Show
    1: Tinsley is going to split whatever tips he gets with Misha. That should go without saying, but just in case anyone needs to hear it.
    2: Tinsley uses makeup to hide the contour of his jaw, but smiling like this, you can see that he has a bit of an underbite and disproportionately large canine teeth.

20. - Top - End - #20

Nal'Eya was watching the duet as they mesmerized the room.
    Soon her drink arrived and its fruity flavor washed down a knot she hadn't realized was there.
    No one was warried about what was happening outside. Everyone seemed happy.
    She should be too. The wine helped. Soon the song came to an end.
    Nal'Eya looked at the female bard. Her face, her build, her poise, the color of her hair...
    "Cousin..." Nal'Eya spoke in Elven "... a song from home if you please."
    She said, without raising her stare to meet hers. Small idioms escaping here and there of her Wood Elven heritage
    "Something about home, the forest.. maybe a dragon.."
    Show

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

21. - Top - End - #21

There's a small outpouring of coin into the hat-mostly silver, though a few copper sneak their way in.

Show
    I'd rather not track minor finances-if no one objects, I'll add whatever money was tossed your way to the "General Expenses" fund, covering inns, food, and other minor things. Basically, small gains in money will be ignored, but so will small expenses-bribing the guard for 50 GP is something you'll need to track, paying two silver for a night at the inn will not be.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Misha

Misha quickly settled into the routine - such as it was - for Tinsley's act, shifting to somewhat enigmatic passages as he began. She followed his lead, moving on to light-hearted and jaunty melodies with sudden flourishes as tricks reached their climax.

She was grinning as the set wound down and Tinsley approached. Energised, she nodded. "Far be it for me to back out of a good double act."

Gulping down a mouthful of ale, she caught the request from the fellow elf. With a slightly uncertain smile at the particular request, she strummed a few notes before beginning a lament in elvish. It began as soft and bittersweet, painting a golden picture of slyvan harmony before resolving into a haunting song that spoke of an unquenchable homesickness for a place forever lost.

Several times during the performance, she tried to catch the other elf's eye, curiosity silently gleaming.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Tinsley didn’t see the plot hook swordswoman approaching them until it was too late, and she actually got close enough for him to clock her as someone he’d seen several times in passing. In fact, she was probably better traveled than him, given how much more often he found himself traveling in opposite directions than the same.

Luckily, she wasn’t interested in him, instead speaking to Misha in what was apparently a shared language. He made himself scarce, then, collecting his funds, slipping Misha her cut when he was sure nobody was looking, and hanging out by the bar again.

Show
    Tinsley uses Mage Hand Legerdemain to stow the pouch on Misha’s person, and then Prestidigitates his trademark puff of purple smoke to indicate to her which pocket it’s in.

24. - Top - End - #24

As the elf starts playing her first notes, Nal'Eya does not miss her stage partner as he
    leaves the spotlight with a hatfull of coins. She had seen him before; more that once.
    But as the elf starts singing she forgets about him, drawn into the lyrics.
    The tension leaves her shoulders as the song brings childhood memories back,
    the forest, the river, the cascading waters of the waterfalls, her friends, her teachers....
    her parents... her city.
    Her wine is almost gone by the time the bard starts to wrap up with her perfomance
    and Nal'Eya spots a few drops of water on the table in front of her, most likely condensation
    that trickled from her glass.
    Raising her eyes to the elf, she notices her expression. It took her a moment but she saw the drops
    for what they were and swept the tears away.
    As the song ends, Nal'Eya gestures to the elf to approach.
    "Thank you..." she says in a grateful tone "please join me" she adds and motions to the empty chair
    opposite to hers.
    Show

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

25. - Top - End - #25

Misha

Giving Tinsley a quick nod as she noticed the coins he'd handed over, Misha spared little more time in rising and hastily bowing to the smattering of audience members present. She made her way over to the woman's table and sat in the proffered seat.

She took a moment, eyeing the woman, before she could contain herself no longer. "Alright, so many questions, but I have to start with: why that request? Seems pretty meaningful, no...?"

26. - Top - End - #26

"I guess sometimes i forget how much i miss home" Nal'Eya replies
    "Haven't been back for more time than most of the people in this town have lived"
    Nal'Eya pauses and drains her glass.
    "Deep in the forest... The glimmering city... A great city hanging above the water,
    clinging on the rocks of a crag... Nice people.. the best, actually.
    Fighters, scholars, sages, merchants, protectors... they were..."

Nal'Eya s words fade as she sinks into memories, the wine catching up to her.
    "How comes you are here cousin?" she asks with animated hand gestures
    "Is it performing for the drunk in this humble city your calling?"
    Show

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

27. - Top - End - #27

Misha

"That seems unfair," Misha replied with a brief frown, "they're not all drunk. Yet." She leaned forward, elbows on the table and rested her chin on interlocked fingers, watching the other woman for a moment. "Let's start over. I'm Misha and I grew up in the forest at the edge of this town," she said, nodding her head briefly in the direction of her home. "Now, it's probably not as fancy and erudite as where you're from but there's good folk and a comfortable life to be had."

She smiled. "Of course, that means travelers are a source of endless fascination. So, why are you here and what's this about a dragon?"

Spoiler: Insight DC12
    Show
    When Misha speaks of her home town, there's a sense of resignation to being here.

28. - Top - End - #28

Nal'Eya listens to Misha, and her answer got her off guard, to the point of chuckling at the "yet" part.
    She nods and says "I'm Nal'Eya". She pauses for a moment thinking...
    "Yes, I guess having a roof over your head, a place you can call home, is a big deal.
    Believe me I know..."
    she says and leans closer to her over the table, studying Misha's face.
    "But.. even though you have this, you seem... stuck? Maybe that's not the word... But still,
    you feel something is missing... but that's for you to find and even act upon it."

She sits back on her chair and slumps back against it.
    "Why I am here...? Well... not to make it a long story, since I lost my home, I travel.
    The dream, I guess, is to return someday and reclaim home. For me, for those that left, for the Tribe.
    But that needs money. And... experience(?).. I guess? Because if.. when the time comes for me to
    return, I would most likely have to not only rebuild, but fight off whatever it was that erased my city."

She takes a few moments, pondering on her latest question.
    "Someone would say that after all this time, I should be able to speak freely about this,
    but the reality is that me, as every other member of my Tribe, have vowed to secrecy.
    Well... I guess that I could share this. I spent my early decades close enough to the "Golden Beast"
    that I, among others, got doused in his ambient, ancient magic."

Nal'Eya holds Misha stare for several moments and then she suddenly sits up.
    "What's good to eat in this place?"
    Show

The Whip Tank!
    20lvl Cavalier

The Assassin!
    Currently on the road...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

He wasn’t eavesdropping. Not really. He’s just wanted to see the world through his cat’s eyes for a bit as she made her way around the tavern.

Okay, so he was eavesdropping a little.

But his only intention was to find a new direction to travel once he left here.

He didn’t expect to hear a name from the few stories his father was around to tell.

He’d always been curious about his elven heritage, but looking into it had always seemed a daunting task that he didn’t know how to even start. And this link to it, however small, had been this whole time.

Tied to the plot hook, of all people.

He came back to himself to think, and finally, his curiosity won out. Mentally ticking himself, he calls Scruggins back to his shoulder and approaches yet again.

”Beggin’ y’pardon there. Did you say your name was Eya? Like that elven village?

30. - Top - End - #30

Misha

Misha took a long moment to absorb the information from Nal'Eya. "Stew's good," she replied absently as Tinsley joined them.

Before the conversation can move on further, she placed her hands flat on the table, leaning forward a little. "Whoa, there," she added, as if calming a horse. "There's a lot of... Well, lets not have you need to repeat all that too many more times."

She glanced over her shoulder. "Bloom!" She called out to the firbolg with a wave. "I'm gonna want your opinion on this, join us!"