New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Measure distance on Google Maps mobile site? (no apps)

I use the straight line distance feature on Google Maps and Google Earth often on desktop. Recently, I've been using a tablet quite often, but I haven't found a way to measure distance on the mobile website in the browser. Forcing it to desktop version hasn't helped, because a long press doesn't seem to open a context menu there, either.

This device DOES NOT have access to the Google Play store, and there is no otherwise feasible way to get the Google Maps app onto it, so that is not an option.

If no-one knows a way to do this in a mobile browser on Google Maps, I'd also accept any other (secure and trusted) website that can measure great circle distance with a decently good map interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Measure distance on Google Maps mobile site? (no apps)

Try Bing maps. I tested with Android tablet + Chrome, and at least with those it allowed opening the right-click menu through long press on the map.
    bing.com/maps

If you know coordinates, you can also use a website that allows you to input coordinates and gives you great circle distance between them.
    movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

My post count is less than 10 so I can't post working links.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Measure distance on Google Maps mobile site? (no apps)

Thanks, that helped a lot.

It isn't perfect, but it works very well when avoiding the International Date Line.

Unfortunately, it gets really messed up when scrolling if any segments cross the 180° longitude line.

But still, it works well enough, and you've been a great help. Thank you, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?