New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] 14th level module test drive IC

Armariel blasts the greater ghoul with one hit, missing with the other. His tiny servants aim at the same target, scoring two hits. Thoradin finishes the creature off, then hammers at the mob around him (18 dmg). The mob claws and bites at him, and at his mount.

Spoiler
    Show

vs Thoradin
    Claw (1d20+4)[16] adv (1d20+4)[9], 2d4+2[/roll] piercing damage, DC 10 Con save or paralysis, Con save dice (1d20)[20]
    Claw (1d20+4)[15] adv (1d20+4)[8], 2d4+2[/roll] piercing damage, DC 10 Con save or paralysis, Con save dice (1d20)[14]
    Bite (1d20+4)[19] adv (1d20+4)[23], 2d4+2[/roll] piercing damage
    Bite (1d20+4)[10] adv (1d20+4)[9], 2d6+2[/roll] piercing damage

vs Steelfur
    Claw (1d20+4)[10] adv (1d20+4)[7], 2d4+2[/roll] piercing damage, DC 10 Con save or paralysis, Con save dice (1d20)[15]
    Claw (1d20+4)[20] adv (1d20+4)[15], 2d4+2[/roll] piercing damage, DC 10 Con save or paralysis, Con save dice (1d20)[8]
    Bite (1d20+4)[6] adv (1d20+4)[16], 2d6+2[/roll] piercing damage
    Bite (1d20+4)[7] adv (1d20+4)[23], 2d6+2[/roll] piercing damage

=>Everybody goes after this, then the mob, and I'm assuming you set up a wall of readied attacks for the Banished creatures?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel changed his focus and took the time to resuply his little creations before launching another lightning attack

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[17]+8, damage (1d6)[3]+18, if crit (1d6)[4]
    (1d20)[12]+8, damage (1d6)[1]+18, if crit (1d6)[6]

If one hits, extra lightning damage (1d6)[6], if crit (1d6)[6]

(1d20)[15]+8, damage (1d6)[6]+6, if crit (1d6)[2]
    (1d20)[15]+8, damage (1d6)[1]+6, if crit (1d6)[3]
    (1d20)[6]+8, damage (1d6)[2]+6, if crit (1d6)[5]

Damage 65

Then he concentrated on the spot where the other ghoul had been banished, readying himself and his servants

Spoiler
    Show

Readied Action:

(1d20)[16]+8, damage (1d6)[5]+18, if crit (1d6)[3]
    (1d20)[19]+8, damage (1d6)[4]+18, if crit (1d6)[1]

If one hits, extra lightning damage (1d6)[6], if crit (1d6)[1]

(1d20)[3]+8, damage (1d6)[6]+6, if crit (1d6)[1]
    (1d20)[12]+8, damage (1d6)[6]+6, if crit (1d6)[1]
    (1d20)[9]+8, damage (1d6)[3]+6, if crit (1d6)[5]

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-08-09 at 01:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Having slain the cannibalistic undead, save for two that are Banished, the group takes directions from Abi and prepares themselves for the reappearance of two slightly disoriented ghouls, both of which are slain without much difficulty.

Examining the corpses, none of the ghouls seem to have been starving or previously injured. The one that cast a single spell has a belt around its waist that appears to be woven out of some sort of thick hairs. The belt has several dark stains on it that you think are blood, and you're fairly sure that the ghoul was not the original owner of this item.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock
    AC: 16 HP: 104/104
    PP: 12 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Mage Armour (5 hours)
    Concentrating: --

Abi lets out a sigh of relief but tries to avoid breathing in too deep - even dead, especially dead, the undead still stank. She floats down to pick among the bodies, seeking anything that might be useful, and pokes at the woven, stained belt. "Can anyone tell if this thing is magical?" Her approach to testing for magic was mundane: Try things on, see what worked. She'd been cursed only twice for it so far, but given the possible time limit they had, getting cursed now would be a bit silly. Better to play it safe.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If we need a bit of health restoration, Tagar can carry Abi's ring while we take a 10 minute short rest inside thanks to Sanctuary Vessel. Abi's still got 1 spell slot left (plus her long rest resources - two mystic arcanum and Limited Wish) and her health is maxed, so she's still good to go for another combat or two if we want to save it though.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel
    High Elf Armorer Artificier
    AC: 26 HP: 129/129
    PP: 17 PIv: 16 PIs: 12
    Conditions: Infiltrator Armor, 3 Tiny Servants (8 hours)

"Let me take a look. I've got this."

Spoiler
    Show

Identify as a ritual

Arcana check if necessary: (1d20+11)[18]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

You successfully identify the item as a Belt of Hill Giant Strength (requires attunement, sets wearer's strength to 21).

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thoradin Grimfate
    Dwarf Vengeance Paladin
    AC: 23 HP: 77/130
    PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -
    Resistance: Poison
    Immunity: Diseases, Frightened, Critical Hits (Adamantine Armor)
    Effects: Death Ward (8 hours), Aura of Protection/Courage, Mounted on Steeltusk

Once the rest of the ghouls are dispatched, Thoradin dismounts and assesses Steeltusk. Well done, he says to his friends, Whatever necromancer this is can command a lot of these corpse eaters.

Show
    Totaling damage on Thoradin and Steeltusk to see if he should heal now.

EDIT: Ok so the damage rolls in J-H's last attack post didn't go through. So Thoradin needs to take 2d4+2 more damage, and SteelTUSK needs to take 2d4+2 and 2d6+2. Since the DM erroneously named him Steelfur in his post, I say we call it a wash and forget the damage

Thoradin - 53 damage + 2d4+2
    Steeltusk - Actually, now totaling his hp, I think Steeltusk might be dead. He took 42 damage, out of 45 total, and DM has to reroll 2d6+2d4+4. One of those attacks would have popped Death Ward, and the other will finish him off.

Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2022-08-10 at 10:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel

"Funny, I've got one of those myself." Armadiel tossed the belt back to his comrades. "You'll need an hour to get it to work, though. So no idea if that strength enhacer wil be of use to any one of you."

Turning to Thoradin he said: "Maybe now you call for a flying pet. Being so earthbound makes you an easy target."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock

"Might be fun for doing housework, but I don't think that one's good for me." Abi says with a smile, passing on the belt.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alive
    Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer
    AC: 13 HP: 86/86
    PP: 18 PIv: 10 PIs: 18
    Resistance: Fire
    Effects: -

Alive takes the belt and holds it up to inspection, with one eye squeezed shut and their head tilted at a strange angle. They cautiously stick out their tongue and taste the edge of the belt, then sort of swish around their mouth a bit, as if tasting a fine wine.

"An aftertaste of dead people, and..." they scrunch their face up in disgust, "Yeugh... too strong for my taste."

They toss the belt onto the ground, then pull out a small sheet of parchment, take a quick look at it, then hand it to Abi. "This could be important later, but it's probably nothing."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

11. - Top - End - #131

Thoradin Grimfate
    Dwarf Vengeance Paladin
    AC: 23 HP: 69/130
    Effects: Death Ward (8 hours), Aura of Protection/Courage

Thoradin frowns at Armariel, Steeltusk and I have faced many evils together. He is a stalwart companion. He composes himself, Besides, that's not a prayer I'm ready to say just yet. How is everyone else faring?

Show
    I don't have Find Greater Steed prepared at the moment. Actually, in reading it (and I apologize to all as this is my first time playing a higher level paladin with any type of steed) it seems like the barding and military saddle just plop down on the ground when the steed dies. That's... really inconvenient lol. So I guess when I am able to resummon a steed tomorrow, it will be without barding (I can probably carry the saddle I think?).

Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2022-08-14 at 01:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel
    PP: 17+5 PIv: 16 PIs: 12

"Hey, that's a rare magical artifact. If you don't want it, I'm more than happy to take it instead - frees up one infusion for me." Armariel picked up the belt. "Damn it Thoradin. That's really inconvenient. Any one of you others have a Phantom Steed ready? No? Looks like I'll be lugging around your saddle and barding."

He began picking up the gear and putting it into his bag of holding as well.

"Let's get going again. We'll keep scouting ahead - hopefully with more success to find any other ambushes."
    The last part he directed at his tiny servants, directing them to support him with their blind sense

Spoiler
    Show

+5 to passive perception thanks to tasking one of the TS to use the help action

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

After loading the left-over equipment, you continue to follow the trail.

The trail left by the dragged altar goes across hillsides, sometimes up and sometimes down, following whatever route looks easiest out of foothills and into the edge of the mountains. Ultimately, it leads to the south end of a small valley half-full of a pond. A small waterfall on the eastern side of the valley feeds a pond some 150’ across. On the north and east sides of the pond is a rocky cliffside, approximately 60’ high. The western end of the pond ends in what appears to be a large wooden dam. The south end of the pond, where the party is, is a grassy sward dotted with stumps.

Across the pond, you can see the top 3 feet of a suspiciously squared-off hole in the northern cliff, looking like a carved-out doorway or entryway. The drag mark runs into the water pointing almost straight at it. It’s about 10’ wide.

The doorway is approximately 100’ from the eastern cliff-face, and 40’ from the dam, and 150' across the pond from you.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock

Abi takes the offered parchment with a raised eyebrow, not really understanding - both before and after she reads it - but nevertheless pocketing it. If it was important she'd better keep hold of it, and if not it'd make for some fine kindling later.

When they arrive at the large pond she peers out over it, trying to judge its depth - and if they have anything to fear from stepping into it haphazardly. Deep water could hide many a scary thing, after all. There were solutions she had in mind if so - Tagar could fly them all over, or they could smash the dam and drain it, but she didn't want to expend effort or resources if it was a little paddling pool, even for her tiny legs.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel
    PP: 17+5 PIv: 16 PIs: 12

"Careful. There might be undead lurking beneath the surface. I'll take a look at the construction. Maybe a few well placed firebolts and/or a barage at key elements will be enough to undo it."

Armariel flew higher again, arming his constructs while investigating the dam

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[25] Investigation

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Armariel doesn't see any undead on the dam, or signs of them. The logs have some algae growing on them underwater, and the top appears somewhat weathered. He also doesn't notice any tool marks.

Some of the logs used are extremely big, though.

(Nature 19) Armariel recalls that, far from civilized areas, large mammals with extremely tough waterpoof fur and large, flat tails are known for gnawing through trees and using the trunks to build large dams that conceal semi-aquatic dens. They're call Fortress Beavers, and their hides are extremely useful in crafting warm clothing and enchanted hide armors, but they can be tough to bring down and can hold their own against most predators.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel

"Good news, bad news."

Armariel called out after returning to the group: "No sign of hidden undead, but we could run afoul of giant beavers. Let's cross this pond very carefully - preferably aerial." At that he looked pointedly at Thoradin

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock

"Well I'd rather not fight a bunch of giant beavers if we can help it." It's not like they did anything wrong. "Will we need to share the burden for the flight over? With Tagar and I we...hmm, probably can't carry much honestly, but we'll give it our best!" She flexes a non-existant arm muscle with a cheeky grin. The magic would be doing most of the work - as usual.

Show

If we're doing a wee bit of carrying to get Thoradin over, Abi+Tagar have a carrying capacity of 165lbs between them. She can temporarily dump her pack to free up space, so no worry about her existing gear, save what she's wearing (cloak, boots, rod of the pact keeper, etc.) so knock that down to ~155lbs.

Hope Thoradin went on a diet recently...
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #139

Thoradin Grimfate
    Dwarf Vengeance Paladin

Thoradin breaks down the barding and puts the pieces in Armariel's bag of holding, Many thanks, he says to the elf.

Eventually the tracks they are following lead to a large pond, dammed on one side, with tracks on the far end entering into what looks like a ghoul den. Armarial flies on ahead to take a look.

Good news, bad news, Armariel calls out after returning to the group, No sign of hidden undead, but we could run afoul of giant beavers. Let's cross this pond very carefully - preferably aerial. At that he looks pointedly at Thoradin.

The dwarf huffs, Aye well, as I said, that prayer has to wait for the morrow. And elves may count beavers among deadly things to avoid, but I can't say I've ever heard of a dwarf being killed by a beaver, so the dam's a bridge and I'll walk across.

Well I'd rather not fight a bunch of giant beavers if we can help it, Abi says.

Thoradin throws a cranky side-eye at her, You too now? Well, what are the chances that the ghouls marched into that pond an didn't run afoul of yer giant beavers? I say they're good as dead already.

Nonetheless, Abi offers to fly Thoradin over and he sizes her and Tagar up. I don't think so lass. Not with all this armor on. Besides, I've already lost me mount today, I'd rather keep my dignity in tact.

Show
    I believe paladins have to prepare their spell each morning and I did not prepare Find Greater Steed, so no pegasus until after a long rest .

Also, Thoradin is pretty strong and stocky. He's over 180lbs without gear, well over with his armor. So no go on Abi and Tagar as well .

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel

"I hope your dignity allows you to float - because if you fall to either side of this "bridge", you are going to have to swim with a ton of iron."

He sighed. "Alright, try your balancing act - I'll keep a flying spell ready to prevent the worst of your stubborn dwarfishness."

Spoiler
    Show

Ready action to cast Fly on Thorin should he fall.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock
    Conditions: Mage Armour (5 hours), Genie Flight (10 minutes).

"If you want! I'm not going to get my feet wet though." She waves her rod in the air and takes to the air once more, floating gently. Once she's a little way up she beckons Tagar down and whispers to him "Go take a look in the cave while we're working our way over - invisible like. Come back the moment you see any enemies, don't engage." At her command, Tagar flies off invisibly once more towards the cave, his imp-sight guaranteeing that even with no lighting he should have no issues peeking into the gloom.

With her scout dispatched she floats over the pond, giving it a decently wide berth, just in case the giant beavers were very territorial.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #142

Thoradin Grimfate
    Dwarf Vengeance Paladin

Thoradin eyes Tagar as it flies over, and looks down for any signs from the water at the creature's passing. He grumbles to himself, Mauled by ghoul swarms, an' now I'm supposed to be scared o' beavers. He makes his way to the dam and begins to cautiously walk the length of it across the pond.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel

Amariel took out his broom to fly alongside Thoradin (to his left over the open air instead of the water), ready to cast the spell if needed.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-08-15 at 03:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alive

While Thoradin is walking cautiously across the dam, Alive waits their turn by stooping down to the pond's edge and cupping a few mouthfuls of water. They gargle and swish, then swallow, and point out "It doesn't really taste like beavers... Though to be honest, we should probably be leaving it to them..."

They wait a few moments for laughter... then strike a pose and try again, "If there are beavers here, we should probably leave it to them...". And when no one laughs once again, they pull out a tiny bit of fleece and flick it, causing a soft sound of two snare hits followed by a splash cymbal, then follow behind Thoradin onto the dam.

"You'll all get it one day, once the dimensions collide," they comment to the others.
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Tagar flies across the pond, with Abi floating partway across behind him. The water's a bit muddy, but not too bad, and Tagar doesn't think there's anything under the water. The small creature can tell that the squared-off hole goes a ways in, but the ceiling seems to slope down to meet the water.

Thoradin and Alive both opt to walk across the dam, with Armariel flying to his left, while Damian watches from the shore. The dam is large and sturdily built, making it fairly easy for both to pick their way across at a slow pace (difficult terrain, no danger of falling). The top is about 10' wide. Thoradin's heavy boots thump along the top. After he gets about 50' away from shore, the water swirls and splashes upstream. Three large Fortress Beavers swim up from some underwater entrance. One puts its paws onto the dam in front of Thoradin, while the other two poke their heads out of the water to see what is going on.

Note: Fortress Beavers are made up (name credit goes to The Wandering Inn). Think a beaver the size of a horse, with fur that looks like steel wool, front teeth the size of hatchet blades, and a tail you could surf on.

=> What do you do?
    (this is a good time to make checks as your characters feel are appropriate)
    Last edited by J-H; 2022-08-15 at 03:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Damian Hoster
    Elf Arcane Trickster Bladesinger
    AC: 19 HP: 106/126
    PP: 22 PIv: 25 PIs: 17
    Conditions:

- Now that's a big beaver, - says Damian's thoughtfully at the sight of an animal. He already finished watching his friends steps and started his own movement, but still was rather far from the dam. Now question was, do beavers eat dwarves? Do dwarves eat beavers? Anyway, today was not the best day to find it out.

Show

(1d20+15)[17] Investigation (min. 25) - does Damian see the way to pass the beavers and approach the "door"?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Not via the dam. There's plenty of room to swim across, or you could work your way across the cliffs atop the eastern and northern edges of the pond (basically climbing horizontally), or you could ascend farther east and descend the cliff to come at the entry from above.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Armariel
    Conditions: Infiltrator Armor, 3 Tiny Servants (7 hours)

Armariel stopped in the air and whispered: "No sudden movements. The sound of your boots seem to have them agitated."
    The elf furrowed his brow as he tried to remember what beavers normally reacted to.

He decided that the sound of a breaking dam would likely be enough for them to search for a weakened section. So he dropped his readied spell and took out another ball bearing. Touching it slightly to his armor, he instilled a repeating sound of breaking wood and then flung it back to where they had come on the walk way.

Spoiler
    Show

Animal Handling

(1d20+2)[16]

Using magical tinkering to create a distraction

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-08-16 at 02:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail Klisi
    Halfling Genie Warlock
    Conditions: Mage Armour (5 hours), Genie Flight (10 minutes).

Given the distance - and her list of available spells - there's little Abi can do to intervene or aid, so doing nothing seems the best option. Trying to look casual, she maintains her distance and looks away, only keeping half an eye on what's going on below so as to not provoke any further. She could call upon her patron's aid to solve the problem, but that's an extreme solution - one she doesn't want to make use of if she doesn't need to.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alive

Alive whispers quietly, "I knew we should have left it to the beavers."

They then wait for a few tense moments to see the result of Armariel's attempted distraction.
    Show

Town Square execution.