New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 3.5 Encounter generator for more then just the first monster manual

Is anyone familiar with an online random encounter generator that includes books other then the first monster manual? My players are (not surprisingly) sick of fighting the same old monsters, so I want to give them something new!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Encounter generator for more then just the first monster manual

There are several encounter tables in the environmental books, and in the campaign setting books, you could work with that. No generators I'm aware of, though.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

When I needed such for my game I created it myself. It isn't generator, just google table.

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    There are several encounter tables in the environmental books, and in the campaign setting books.
    And in modules.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-06-27 at 02:02 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

You generally won't find generators online for those outside the SRD - because outside said SRD, the content is not OGL, and accordingly you can't publish tables of them without invoking the wrath of a random IP Protection/Compliance Officer in WOTC.

That said, try searching around on Chartopia - I have seen encounter tables on there for Stormwrack at least, so you might have some luck with them there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    You generally won't find generators online for those outside the SRD - because outside said SRD, the content is not OGL, and accordingly you can't publish tables of them without invoking the wrath of a random IP Protection/Compliance Officer in WOTC.

That said, try searching around on Chartopia - I have seen encounter tables on there for Stormwrack at least, so you might have some luck with them there.
    I wouldn't imagine it would invoke any wrath if all it included was the names, CR, and reference to book and page number
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    I wouldn't imagine it would invoke any wrath if all it included was the names, CR, and reference to book and page number
    Look up what happened to a site named monsterfinder.dndrunde.de . It was basically precisely that, with an added column of "Environment", and it nonetheless got the CaDbomb from orbit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    Sometimes just names is enough.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Look up what happened to a site named monsterfinder.dndrunde.de . It was basically precisely that, with an added column of "Environment", and it nonetheless got the CaDbomb from orbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Sometimes just names is enough.
    What a bunch of shortsighted jerks. "No, you may not ever, under any circumstances, tell people about all the cool things in our books that they'd need to buy if they want to know the details about"
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You can also go after some homebrew monsters if you want something creative. I've been making a bunch of wacky monsters recently, many of them designed to carry class levels and serve as interesting replacements to the normal goblin/hobgoblin/orc/bugbear/gnoll/ogre grind.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.