New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Soul knife question

Quick question. Under the soul knife quick draw ability, it says that you can only manifest a mindblade once per round. The normal move action shaping of mindblades doesn't mention this limit. So can you expend multiple move actions to manifest a mindblade more than once, or are you capped at just once per turn period?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Soul knife question

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Quick question. Under the soul knife quick draw ability, it says that you can only manifest a mindblade once per round. The normal move action shaping of mindblades doesn't mention this limit. So can you expend multiple move actions to manifest a mindblade more than once, or are you capped at just once per turn period?
    The SRD cuts out a lot of rules text because they were overzealous to not get hit with copyright infringement. The full ability description:

Quote Originally Posted by XPH, pg28
    Free Draw (Su): At 5th level, a soulknife becomes able to materialize his mind blade as a free action instead of a move action. He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however (if, for example, he must make a Will save to materialize it within a null psionics field).
    As you can see, the once per round is referring to how you can only make one attempt to manifest in a null psionics field or something similar. To clarify, you only make attempts to manifest when under the effect of a NPF or something similar:

Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), a soulknife can attempt to sustain his mind blade by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the soulknife maintains his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the soulknife can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his mind blade while he remains within the psionics-negating effect.
    The bolded line is a separate action. The ability works like quickdraw and you can materialize your mindblade as any number of free actions per round.

The Multiple Throw ability is redundant and I recommend ruling it as a standard action or, as a literal read would suggest, as free extra attacks in a round.
    Last edited by Darg; 2022-06-28 at 11:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thank you very much for the clarification. I was actually going to use it in an Iajutsu build. My DM ruled that manifesting a mind blade counts as drawing a weapon, so being able to draw, strike, free action dismiss, repeat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Oh, that's a clever trick! I'm tempted to brew something up using that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AsuraKyoko View Post
    Oh, that's a clever trick! I'm tempted to brew something up using that.
    Look this. )
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Look this. )
    Ooh, nice link. I will look through it. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought about that combo. I was even going to go with Kalashatar as well, since this would be for Eberron. Lol.