New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Wild Surge Scaling (Wild Magic Barbarian)

So I am running a game soon and one of the players is playing a Wild Magic Barbarian (Fairy lol.) I really like this subclass, but even before she decided to make this character, I had been toying with some ideas to houserule some scaling for some of the Wild Surges that feel lackluster at mid to high tiers (this campaign is designed to go to Tier 4.) I'd like your thoughts and suggestions, or even your own differing ideas.

1 Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d12 necrotic damage. You also gain temporary hit points equal to 1d12 plus your barbarian level.

I don't think this one needs any changes since the temp HP scaling is really nice. The damage is just gravy. A great one to roll early then Unstable Backlash out of once the temp HP are gone, too.

2 You teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. Until your rage ends, you can use this effect again on each of your turns as a bonus action.

This is so good already that it obv needs no changes. Amazing at any level.

3 An intangible spirit, which looks like a flumph or a pixie (your choice), appears within 5 feet of one creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you. At the end of the current turn, the spirit explodes, and each creature within 5 feet of it must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 force damage. Until your rage ends, you can use this effect again, summoning another spirit, on each of your turns as a bonus action.

This is just kinda bad as a bonus action waste past Tier 1 imo. How to scale it a bit without overtuning? I am considering adding the Rage damage bonus to the damage. Too much? Too little? Kinda iffy on this one. Ideas welcome.

4 Magic infuses one weapon of your choice that you are holding. Until your rage ends, the weapon's damage type changes to force, and it gains the light and thrown properties, with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. If the weapon leaves your hand, the weapon reappears in your hand at the end of the current turn.

This is a tricky one. It feels fine, but maybe a range increase to 30/90 at level 10? Or perhaps instead the weapon reappears in your hand after an attack at that level (as opposed to the end of the current turn.) Or maybe it's fine and I am overtuning.

5 Whenever a creature hits you with an attack roll before your rage ends, that creature takes 1d6 force damage, as magic lashes out in retribution.

Adding anything like PB or Rage bonus to this at low levels would make it way too good imo, so I am thinking of making it 2d6 at level 10 and calling it a day. Too much?

6 Until your rage ends, you are surrounded by multicolored, protective lights; you gain a +1 bonus to AC, and while within 10 feet of you, your allies gain the same bonus.

At level 10, the radius becomes 30ft. Feels right.

7 Flowers and vines temporarily grow around you; until your rage ends, the ground within 15 feet of you is difficult terrain for your enemies.

I think this one is fine. Just as useful at high levels as at low, and a range increase feels a bit overtuned to me.

8 A bolt of light shoots from your chest. Another creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d6 radiant damage and be blinded until the start of your next turn. Until your rage ends, you can use this effect again on each of your turns as a bonus action.

Single target Con save (or suck) with a nice rider. I am thinking of just adding Rage damage bonus to this and calling it a day. It's still low damage, but this gives it a teensy bit of scaling. Too much? Too little?

I know that the damage bonus from Rage is supposed to only apply to weapon attacks, but I like the scaling of it as opposed to PB for balance purposes on some of these Surges since it's a little more modest, and it feels appropriate to use as a scaling mechanism for magical Rage effects.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your thoughts, friends!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Wild Surge Scaling (Wild Magic Barbarian)

Most are fine as is. If you want to scale #3, #5 and #8, scale them like cantrips with an additional die each tier. I would leave all the others alone.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I like the idea of adding barbarian level to the 1st effect, but I think it is an add, at least based on what my D&D beyond says. But it seems like a good add for the scaling your looking for.

So, it's hard to get a straight comparator, because there aren't any bonus action damage cantrips, but it looks a bit like the Fathomless tentacle? So for the damage ones, I'd just add another damage dice at 10 and I'd stick a rider on the 3rd effect. Nothing massive, maybe disadvantage on the next attack made by any creature which fails its save?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Speely View Post
    So I am running a game soon and one of the players is playing a Wild Magic Barbarian (Fairy lol.) I really like this subclass, but even before she decided to make this character, I had been toying with some ideas to houserule some scaling for some of the Wild Surges that feel lackluster at mid to high tiers (this campaign is designed to go to Tier 4.) I'd like your thoughts and suggestions, or even your own differing ideas.

1 Each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d12 necrotic damage. You also gain temporary hit points equal to 1d12 plus your barbarian level.

I don't think this one needs any changes since the temp HP scaling is really nice. The damage is just gravy. A great one to roll early then Unstable Backlash out of once the temp HP are gone, too.
    This doesn't normally include "plus your barbarian level". Is that the change you're suggesting?

I think the issue with this is that you can't reuse it. So until level level 10, if you roll a 1 on your Surge, you can deal 1d12 damage if the enemies fail their save and you get those THP. And that's it, you get nothing else for the rest of your rage.

This needs something to continue doing for the duration of your Rage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Perhaps allow re-rolls as you level up? Maybe (Rage damage - 2) times per long rest. After the re-roll, you can choose which of the two effects. (Let's say the Lucky feat applies, that seems in the spirit. But not halfling Lucky/Bountiful Luck.)

EDIT: Whoops... I forgot they get an unlimited version of this at level 14. I still personally prefer this more gradual ramp-up, but you would then have to come up with a powerful subclass capstone. Again, I think the end result would be an improvement, but, it's more work. (I also like the idea that if you roll doubles, you can pick whichever effect you want. That's cool!)
    Last edited by meandean; 2022-07-05 at 11:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    This doesn't normally include "plus your barbarian level". Is that the change you're suggesting?

I think the issue with this is that you can't reuse it. So until level level 10, if you roll a 1 on your Surge, you can deal 1d12 damage if the enemies fail their save and you get those THP. And that's it, you get nothing else for the rest of your rage.

This needs something to continue doing for the duration of your Rage.
    For convenience's sake, I copy/pasted this from a source that is usually accurate, but apparently they added in the bit about Barbarian level adding to the temp HP. Thanks for catching that.

Given that, I would probably just add another D12 to the damage and temp HP at level 10. I think it's ok that it is a one-time effect since it's potentially effective before level 10, and after, you can change it out after those temp HP are gone.