New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default My players just met the bagman

They'd put a particular magic item which summons evil and undead creatures (a death beacon) into their bag of holding. So I decided there was a chance, every time they used the bag, that it had attracted the bagman. The chance started at 1% and went up by 1% each week. Five weeks in one of the players rolls a 5 and gets dragged into the bag. The astral soul monk grabs her with her astral arms, there's a brief tug of war and then the warlock misty step's the party member away from the creature. It partially emerges from the bag, looks around, decides the party is too big to fight all at the same time, takes a big long inhale through its nose to get their scent and vanishes back into the bag. So now the party is in the middle of the wilderness with a death beacon attracting every evil and undead creature within two hundred miles, it's right before their long rest and they are tapped out from the boss battle earlier in the day, their backup is exhausted (literally, one to two levels of exhaustion each), they need to get the beacon three hundred miles north through populated terrain to address the undead hordes ravaging the mountains north of the Kingdom, and they are terrified to have the bag of holding anywhere near them or to put the beacon back into it. Which is where I brought the session to an end.

Fun night. Actually getting that 'Oh c***, what do we do now?' reaction from my players was rewarding. I'm looking forward to seeing what solution they come up with next week.
    Last edited by jjordan; 2022-07-02 at 09:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My players just met the bagman

Does that beacon work across planes of existence, then? The contents of a bag of holding are in an extradimensional space, so effects that do not explicitly work across planes would not be active.
    Besides this, what kind of discussion are hoping to invite here? Or was this merely you wanting to vent about a fun (to you) event?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems to me Mr. Bagman alerted everything of their presence with an action and went to take a nap.

This is one of those times for which I would have saved a Leomund’s Tiny Hut or Rope Trick or Instant Fortress.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dualight View Post
    Does that beacon work across planes of existence, then? The contents of a bag of holding are in an extradimensional space, so effects that do not explicitly work across planes would not be active.
    Besides this, what kind of discussion are hoping to invite here? Or was this merely you wanting to vent about a fun (to you) event?
    Just venting about the fun we had. We've been playing for the past two years on a weekly basis and the players (three of them new to RPGs) are just now starting to emotionally invest in the game. It's nice to see them have some genuine reactions and really relaxing and enjoying the game.

The presence of a bagman suggests that the extradimensional spaces of a bag of holding are not completely isolated from other environments. I interpreted the extradimensional spaces to be carved out of astral space and the bagman to be a creature of astral space with the ability, that others lack, to enter into the extradimensional spaces. Other astral creatures may be attracted by the beacon but not have the ability to enter the specific extradimensional space. The players are currently speculating about the possibility of other creatures showing up and the bagman returning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Sounds fun! Or "fun". Thanks for sharing.
    The DMG does not mandate 6-8 encounters per day.