New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default OneBookShelf (owner of DTRPG and DMs Guild) is "joining forces with" Roll20...

...and the announcement has a lot of buzzwords with not a lot of information. They say the current CEO of OBS will join the board of Roll20, which makes it sound like Roll20 is buying OBS. But then they say Roll20 is "partnering with" OBS. So is this a case of two companies working together, or are they actually merging into one company?

As someone who has bought a lot from DriveThruRPG in the past and doesn't have much experience with VTTs, this announcement of whatever it is doesn't make me particularly eager to give more money to either company (or is it just one company now? I don't know!)
    Last edited by 137beth; 2022-07-14 at 10:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OneBookShelf (owner of DTRPG and DMs Guild) is "joining forces with" Roll20...

The idea I got was that you will be able buy products from One Book Shelf directly through Roll20, and possibly share those with your players. I'll admit I didn't read through the announcement terribly carefully, though.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OneBookShelf (owner of DTRPG and DMs Guild) is "joining forces with" Roll20...

My hope is that books you buy on DriveThruRPG/DMs Guild will be available as compendiums for roll20 games.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What is also interesting is that One Book shelf does a lot more than RPGs. They are connected set of 5 or so sites that sell a variety of fan-made content and take a 30% cut of it all.

I hope this means that Roll20 will NOT be limiting or influencing the future expansion of One Book Shelf products and services to fit their own "core demographic".
    *This Space Available*