New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: What's the leading pantheon in the east?

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    A fair question - but if you ask it, you then have to ask yourself why the absence of a Halloween Pantheon, a Thanksgiving Pantheon, or, heck, a Valentine's Day Pantheon isn't necessarily relevant to the geography of the worlds the gods weave. And at that point, where does it end?
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point. The pantheons as we know them have been discribed relative to the cardinal points of a compass. One of the four points of that compass is missing, and therefore the non-existent deities who would have formed the Eastern pantheon did not build an Eastern continent in this world..

So, obviously and of course other non-existent pantheons also did not create continents.

As for Holiday-themed pantheons, I'm sure in all the many tries it's been done at least once. Can you see Odin as Father Christmas? I'm guessing the Eastern pantheon would have had Summer, but alas, there are no good Midsummer holidays any more.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point. The pantheons as we know them have been discribed relative to the cardinal points of a compass. One of the four points of that compass is missing, and therefore the non-existent deities who would have formed the Eastern pantheon did not build an Eastern continent in this world..

So, obviously and of course other non-existent pantheons also did not create continents.

As for Holiday-themed pantheons, I'm sure in all the many tries it's been done at least once. Can you see Odin as Father Christmas? I'm guessing the Eastern pantheon would have had Summer, but alas, there are no good Midsummer holidays any more.
    It was a joke about your typo.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

D'oh! I missed the typo. Now I'll have to look for it so I can get the joke!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Okay, so in the past world Rabbit was the chief deity of the Easter Pantheon. That's now canon.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I mean, we don't know that; there could have been an Eastern Continent on the First World, but there's no reason why that feature should have been retained in subsequent iterations.
    Shojo said: "The gods were divided, as they are today, into several pantheons. We know them now by the regions of the world that worship them."
    Emphasis mine.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness page 36
    Show
    And Redcloak's story goes (after the capture of the Snarl):
    Redcloak: When the creation was done, the leader of the southern Gods, Dragon, proposed an agreement between the three groups.
    Dragon: we all know what happens should we ever come into conflict over how to run this new world. I therefore suggest that each of our three panthneons be granted special dominion over one-third of this planet, to guid as we see fit.

So, it seems pretty clear to me that the division of the world into strict areas of influence per pantheon started on world #0000000000000000002.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Because for the last 700,000 worlds there was nothing but a big ocean to the east of the main continent, and <insert god here> has gotten bored of that.
    We are all looking at you, Njord.

Shojo said: "The gods were divided, as they are today, into several pantheons. We know them now by the regions of the world that worship them."
    Emphasis mine.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness page 36
    Show
    And Redcloak's story goes (after the capture of the Snarl):
    Redcloak: When the creation was done, the leader of the southern Gods, Dragon, proposed an agreement between the three groups.
    Dragon: we all know what happens should we ever come into conflict over how to run this new world. I therefore suggest that each of our three panthneons be granted special dominion over one-third of this planet, to guid as we see fit.

So, it seems pretty clear to me that the division of the world into strict areas of influence per pantheon started on world #0000000000000000002.
    Well, fair enough. One can't fight canon!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Well, fair enough. One can't fight canon!
    Canonically, Shojo was not being 100% accurate and he can be off on the details (as he already has been).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-09-16 at 11:02 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Canonically, Shojo was not being 100% accurate and he can be off on the details (as he already has been).
    Sure, but even in crayons, if a character (Dragon, here) is shown to say something, I think it best to assume that it is exactly what they said, as so far crayon scenes were only ever shown to lack context, not be untrue on anything shown.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #69

Sure, but even in crayons, if a character (Dragon, here) is shown to say something, I think it best to assume that it is exactly what they said, as so far crayon scenes were only ever shown to lack context, not be untrue on anything shown.
    Eh, I don't agree. Its safe to assume the broad strokes are probably not babpy correct but I'm not going to rely on specific, exacting wording at all in crayon.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I don't agree. Its safe to assume the broad strokes are probably not babpy correct but I'm not going to rely on specific, exacting wording at all in crayon.
    But it's not "specific, exacting wording", it's an entire panel dedicated to explaining the gods came up with the one-pantheon-one-continent system in response to the Snarl's rampage as one of the preventive measures we've seen them abide by in the last two books.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #71

But it's not "specific, exacting wording", it's an entire panel dedicated to explaining the gods came up with the one-pantheon-one-continent system in response to the Snarl's rampage as one of the preventive measures we've seen them abide by in the last two books.
    You're basing everything on the word of a guy who wasn't there, claiming knowledge that is explicitly told to us to not be perfectly accurate.

Id call that "specific, exacting wording".

So would the Eastern demigods, they said "things claimed to be said by us by people who did not hear it and are already wrong about which world they are on to start with probably shouldn't be assumed to be perfectly accurate in all ways until shown otherwise".

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

You're basing everything on the word of a guy who wasn't there, claiming knowledge that is explicitly told to us to not be perfectly accurate.

Id call that "specific, exacting wording"
    I think the word you're looking for is hearsay, this has nothing to do with specific and/or exact language.

Again, every time we've been shown crayons they were factually correct, only lacking context. And the parts that were wrong in Shojo's story were in Shojo's narration not in the parts actually drawn. When characters lie or are wrong, we aren't "shown the lie" as in Rashomon.

At least, so far.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-09-16 at 12:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

I think the word you're looking for is hearsay, this has nothing to do with specific and/or exact language.

Again, every time we've been shown crayons they were factually correct, only lacking context. And the parts that were wrong in Shojo's story were in Shojo's narration not in the parts actually drawn. When characters lie or are wrong, we aren't "shown the lie" as in Rashomon.

At least, so far.
    The world they are in not being the second world seems like is more "factually incorrect" than "lacking context". As in, entirely the former and not at all the latter.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

The world they are in not being the second world seems like is more "factually incorrect" than "lacking context". As in, entirely the former and not at all the latter.
    Yes it is. Everything Redcloak and Shojo said happened happened. A second world was created to entrap the Snarl and the Gods made new covenants too ensure no new Snarl would see the light. The world the characters live on is indeed a prison for the Snarl under this covenant. There just lacks the crucial information that the second world was destroyed too and a whole lot of other worlds were build and destroyed before the current one.
    This world being the second isn't what matters to Shojo, Redcloak and their respective audience, what matters is that it isn't the first and that the entity that destroyed the first may destroy the current one as well. This isn't belied by the new information, it just adds a whole lot of context. Hell, The Secret Lore of the Sapphier Guard never even says outrigjt that the current world is the second one. Everybody just assumed.
    And again, I think it's worth making a distinction between what Shojo, Redcloak or Sigdi say in the narration boxes and what is actually shown in panel in crayons.

And, frankly, I trouble to see why and how it would be revealed that there already existed a pantheonic divide of the world before the Snarl, how that would impact the story and how such false information would come to be.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

If the whole world is destroyed, the continents go with it. In subsequent world's without an Easter Pantheon, why would anyone build an Eastern Continent?
    Yeah, but that's a much more general observation than what you said originally:

When the Eastern Gods were destroyed, everything created by their quiddity was also destroyed
    We don't even really have evidence that the above is true.

16. - Top - End - #76

When the Eastern Gods were destroyed, everything created by their quiddity was also destroyed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    We don't even really have evidence that the above is true.
    I mean, we kind of do. According to Thor nothing other than the Snarl has their quiddity in it anymore, so everything else that had it was canonically destroyed.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, we kind of do. According to Thor nothing other than the Snarl has their quiddity in it anymore, so everything else that had it was canonically destroyed.
    We have evidence that everything the Eastern Gods created was destroyed, but there's no evidence that it was destroyed when the Eastern Gods were destroyed. It may have lasted until the Snarl finished destroying the first world.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-09-17 at 07:52 AM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

18. - Top - End - #78

We have evidence that everything the Eastern Gods created was destroyed, but there's no evidence that it was destroyed when the Eastern Gods were destroyed. It may have lasted until the Snarl finished destroying the first world.
    Ah, I see! What's called to question is that the two destructions occured simultaneously of which we indeed don't have a direct confirmation; still, given that the Easterners and the first world were undone within the same 27 minutes long interval, in practice, the distinction is virtually meaningless.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ah, I see! What's called to question is that the two destructions occured simultaneously of which we indeed don't have a direct confirmation; still, given that the Easterners and the first world were undone within the same 27 minutes long interval, in practice, the distinction is virtually meaningless.
    I think the problem is more that the original claim ("When the Eastern Pantheon was destroyed, everything with their quidditiy was also destroyed.") makes it sound like a causation instead of a correlation.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems to me that the Snarl wiping out the Eastern Pantheon is the precipitating event that leads to the unmaking of the first world which was the only world in which they participated in creating. It is, perhaps, extremely precise to acknowledge that the destruction of that world did not occur precisely at that moment and that the remaining gods could possibly have chosen another course of action, but I also think that it's safe to say that, had the Snarl not destroyed the Eastern pantheon, the gods would not have destroyed the first world when they did. Therefore I think it's appropriate to say there is a causal relationship between the two events, not just a correlation.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2022-09-17 at 09:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Snarl destroyed the first world, not the gods. And even if the gods were the responsible ones, there's a difference between indirect "Oh god, Zeus is dead! Let's destroy everything he made." causation and direct "Zeus died, so everything he made winked out automatically." causation, y'know?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I think the problem is more that the original claim ("When the Eastern Pantheon was destroyed, everything with their quidditiy was also destroyed.") makes it sound like a causation instead of a correlation.
    Yes, this gets at the point I was trying to make. Much better articulated than I did.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    The Snarl destroyed the first world, not the gods. And even if the gods were the responsible ones, there's a difference between indirect "Oh god, Zeus is dead! Let's destroy everything he made." causation and direct "Zeus died, so everything he made winked out automatically." causation, y'know?

Yes, and as our resident flower has stated, while there could be a situation where that distinction is relevant, it's not really relevant to the discussion at hand.

Last edited by pearl jam; 2022-09-17 at 02:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

That just means the giant can fight canon. For mere mortals like us canon has the final say unless it actively provides conflicting options.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Smoutwortel View Post
    That just means the giant can fight canon. For mere mortals like us canon has the final say unless it actively provides conflicting options.
    For mere mortals like us, the canon is "this is a personal account that may be biased, incomplete, or incorrect".