New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Spoiler-Free Thor 4 Question

I don’t want to risk any spoilers in the other thread, but I have to ask—is this movie worth seeing in the theater?

I’m still leery of spending time in a packed movie theater, and the last time I did this it was a disaster (Jurassic World: Dominion).

Is Thor 4 something that needs to be experienced on the big screen for the full effect? Or I am better off skipping the theater and just watching it on Disney+?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Spoiler-Free Thor 4 Question

By most accounts I've seen the movie is very middle of the road, so not really worth rushing to see but probably worth the watch on D+ when you can just chill at home and enjoy it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    By most accounts I've seen the movie is very middle of the road, so not really worth rushing to see but probably worth the watch on D+ when you can just chill at home and enjoy it.
    I will add to this (with the caveat that I haven’t actually seen it myself, just read reviews) that it seems to be ‘Ragnarok, but even more so’ as far as humor. Whether or not you enjoy that will probably affect your enjoyment of the movie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I don’t want to risk any spoilers in the other thread, but I have to ask—is this movie worth seeing in the theater?

I’m still leery of spending time in a packed movie theater, and the last time I did this it was a disaster (Jurassic World: Dominion).

Is Thor 4 something that needs to be experienced on the big screen for the full effect? Or I am better off skipping the theater and just watching it on Disney+?
    It was fairly ok, but I would also say catch it in a theater if you can because it was big bombastic and full of bright colors and loud music in a way that the big screen really captures well.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

My opinion is that this is Ragnarok done right.

I think its the best Thor movie and the best phase 4 movie, but I think I am in a minority there.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Comparisons to Thor: Ragnarok aside (which I disagree with, btw, Ragnarok was a comedy while Love & Thunder is a drama), it's a pretty good film but I don't see any reason it needs to be seen in a theater. If you don't care about the standard reasons for seeing a film in the theater (big screen, sound quality, ambiance, snacks), then don't do it. It's not any more special than other action films.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Comparisons to Thor: Ragnarok aside (which I disagree with, btw, Ragnarok was a comedy while Love & Thunder is a drama), it's a pretty good film but I don't see any reason it needs to be seen in a theater. If you don't care about the standard reasons for seeing a film in the theater (big screen, sound quality, ambiance, snacks), then don't do it. It's not any more special than other action films.
    That’s actually a pretty good point and why I prefer Love and Thunder.

Ragnarok is a goofy comedy where a lot of dark and serious things happen in the story, but are all brushed off as jokes, whereas Love and Thunder is a drama movie that also has lots of humor in it to balance out the darkness.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

This is ultimately a question of how much you value your time and the price of a cinema ticket.

It was worth it for me, but I can wander in after work and eat the price of a ticket pretty easily. So even though I thought it was strictly middle of the pack for Marvel movies I don't feel like either my time or money were wasted.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

It's not terrible, it has some good ideas, but it's very muddled and cut to the bone. Tonal whiplash all over, some jokes that don't really land, a lot of plotlines that really needed more time to breathe. I've made the comment that this should have been at least two movies, maybe three, there's too much stuff in there.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If the theater is close and you can pay matinee price? worth it, that's what I did. If you've got kids, I'm sure they'd appreciate the theater experience- not sure what other kids movies are out there that would be as fun for the parents. It's a fun, silly movie with big action and great soundtrack, with some heartfelt moments (as you'd expect from Taika Waititi and Marvel).

If watching it on Disney+ means watching it on a tiny screen - I think you'd be missing out. If going to the theater will be a huge ordeal or really expensive and you've got a nice big TV or home theater that you'd watch it on - wait for home, I guess.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

It is a pretty movie. If you enjoy good cinematography on the big screen, then sure, that part of it is theater worthy.

The movie overall is just mediocre. It's not Jurassic World levels of dumb, it's just sorta disconnected and...off. Watchable, but not great. If you are passionate about the MCU and watch everything, have at it. If you're feeling a bit burned out on phase four, it's skippable.