New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About Mit

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Is it Crystal and Bozzok breaking each other's weapons?

(OQ if so, I'm probably going to be asleep before I can think of a question.)
    That's not quite what I was going for. Bozzok is pretty clearly surprised by what happened, so I don't think it was really a Sunder attempt, just Crystal breaking her own weapon.

And since it's been more than a day and I'm not sure this answer shouldn't count, I'll give a big hint: the target of both Sunder attempts is the same person, and is not a humanoid.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About Mit

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    That's not quite what I was going for. Bozzok is pretty clearly surprised by what happened, so I don't think it was really a Sunder attempt, just Crystal breaking her own weapon.
    Boz has a STR bonus and a two-handed weapon. Of course he'd be surprised that Crystal can break his sword with what's most offen described as a dagger of sorts. I can't think of any other RAW explanation for why both weapons break either.

And since it's been more than a day and I'm not sure this answer shouldn't count, I'll give a big hint: the target of both Sunder attempts is the same person, and is not a humanoid.
    Is it by any chance a world famous panel?

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Boz has a STR bonus and a two-handed weapon. Of course he'd be surprised that Crystal can break his sword with what's most offen described as a dagger of sorts. I can't think of any other RAW explanation for why both weapons break either.
    Yeah, me neither, but you can't do simultaneous Sunder either.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Is it by any chance a world famous panel?
    That is definitely closer to what I intended, and qualifies in my book. I was thinking of an octopus rather than an hydra, but the principle is the same.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

The idea of "sundering" an actual appendage doesn't feel right to me.

Anyway, it's been two and a half days with no question, so I'll toss one out:

Who's worried that they could do a cutaway to [them] at any moment?

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The idea of "sundering" an actual appendage doesn't feel right to me.

Anyway, it's been two and a half days with no question, so I'll toss one out:

Who's worried that they could do a cutaway to [them] at any moment?
    The thing is, it's explicitly called out in the rules that a Sunder attempt is the only way to destroy a tentacle (or a neck, in a hydra's case).

Also, Xykon.

Edit : With the link, it's better.

Edit 2: How much does a telescope cost?
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-11-28 at 03:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing is, it's explicitly called out in the rules that a Sunder attempt is the only way to destroy a tentacle (or a neck, in a hydra's case).
    Oh, okay. I'm not versed in the rules at all, beyond the bare minimum I have to be for my participation here.

Also, Xykon.

Edit : With the link, it's better.

Edit 2: How much does a telescope cost?
    1000 GP.

Leaving it as an OQ since I don't have time to figure one out.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

When was Elan the first person to figure out why an action taken by another character, failed to occur as expected?
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2022-11-28 at 12:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    When was Elan the first person to figure out why an action taken by another character, failed to occur as expected?
    He figured out Girard's illusion.

What is supposed to weigh roughly 1016 kg?
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2022-11-28 at 01:03 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

9. - Top - End - #759

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    He figured out Girard's illusion.

Hold up. That's figuring out they had been hypnotized, not figuring out why an action failed.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hold up. That's figuring out they had been hypnotized, not figuring out why an action failed.
    He figured out why Nale failed to crash the wedding, didn't he?
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

11. - Top - End - #761

ClericGuy

He figured out why Nale failed to crash the wedding, didn't he?
    .... Fair enough I suppose. I'll be back with a rephrase.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

12. - Top - End - #762
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's been two days, could we get an hint or the answer to keep the thread going?
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    It's been two days, could we get an hint or the answer to keep the thread going?
    Oh, right.
    Well, the item in question probably weighs far less than 1016 kg; the statement I'm looking for is a hyperbole made under stress.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh, right.
    Well, the item in question probably weighs far less than 1016 kg; the statement I'm looking for is a hyperbole made under stress.
    Yeah‚ that barrel weighs between 907 and 1016kg depending on the nationality of the person you're asking. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html

OQ
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-11-30 at 06:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah‚ that barrel weighs between 907 and 1016kg depending on the nationality of the person you're asking. https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html

OQ
    Hah, yeah, I had the inkling it might be a reference to a ton, although I got 907kg when I did the conversion. Also I didn't actually look for any strips to answer the question with.

16. - Top - End - #766

ClericGuy

Rephrase time then! Find me a time when Elan was the first to realize why an action taken by an ally, did not have the expected results.
    ~Robin McKinley

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah, yeah, I had the inkling it might be a reference to a ton, although I got 907kg when I did the conversion. Also I didn't actually look for any strips to answer the question with.
    Yeah it confused me too. Apparently a "ton" in imperial units is different from a "ton" in freedom units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_ton

18. - Top - End - #768
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Yeah it confused me too. Apparently a "ton" in imperial units is different from a "ton" in freedom units.

Yeah, we use U.S. Customary units, not imperial.

Though that does remind me of one of my favorite visual jokes regarding metric vs imperial.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post

Honestly, I can fathom using 2000lbs instead of 1000kg for a ton for americans who want to stick to their system of measure. Confusing as all hell that ton and metric ton are two different things, but I can understand that. But using 2240 lbs for a ton in the UK is just asinine. It's not a round number in either system. If they wanted to be closer to a metric ton, you know what they could have done? Just use the metric ton! 2204.6 isn't much worse than 2240. I just don't understand where that value comes from.

Edit: Nevermind, it's even worse than I thought. "The long ton arises from the traditional British measurement system: A long ton is 20 long hundredweight (cwt), each of which is 8 stone (1 stone = 14 pounds). Thus a long ton is 20 × 8 × 14 lb = 2,240 lb." Basically, it had to be divisible by 8 and by 14, because there are literally three arbitrarily decided weight units that use these multipliers to go from one to the other. And when I say arbitrarily, I mean it. From Wikipedia: "STONE also denotes a certain quantity or weight of some commodities. A stone of beef, in London, is the quantity of eight pounds; in Hertfordshire, twelve pounds; in Scotland sixteen pounds." They just averaged the various values. That is utterly infuriating. How can such a baseless tradition survive so long and even be the base of so many unwieldy things?
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-12-01 at 03:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770

ClericGuy

Rephrase time then! Find me a time when Elan was the first to realize why an action taken by an ally, did not have the expected results.
    24-hour hint: the action being taken by an ally was an attack action.
    ~Robin McKinley

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, is it #1222 12th panel, when Roy tries to attack Xykon? I'm not sure that matches because it seems like Elan just states the obvious thing that Roy already knew.

22. - Top - End - #772

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Uh, is it #1222 12th panel, when Roy tries to attack Xykon? I'm not sure that matches because it seems like Elan just states the obvious thing that Roy already knew.
    Yup, that's it. Roy looked down at his sword in confusion while Elan immediately realized that it was because Roy's sword crossed the rune line of the swap-overs. Your question Jonas.
    ~Robin McKinley

23. - Top - End - #773

ClericGuy

Guess I'll take the OQ then. Find me a small prey animal who is saved by the actions of a main cast member.
    ~Robin McKinley

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

By "small", do you mean Small, or can it be Tiny?

25. - Top - End - #775

ClericGuy

By "small", do you mean Small, or can it be Tiny?
    Oh right, size categories. Yes, Tiny is possible. Let's say, anything from the size of belkar's riding mount, downward.
    ~Robin McKinley

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

The rabbit saved by V. Page 2, third row, last panel.

OQ.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

27. - Top - End - #777

(Why, why! Size categories do make one appreciate the quaint clarity of meaning possessed by words like little and big.)

28. - Top - End - #778
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The rabbit saved by V. Page 2, third row, last panel.

OQ.
    Sure it's not the fish one row above?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Find me a king of hearts

30. - Top - End - #780

Quote Originally Posted by expectocat View Post
    Find me a king of hearts
    How about four?