New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About Mit

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Do weapon enchantments count towards apparating without an arcane/divine spell?

If so, then show me a time when someone had the exact opposite of enthusiasm when it came to being allowed their favorite pastime.
    Murdering people is definitely Belkar's favorite pastime, but I'm not sure this qualifies as the 'opposite of enthusiasm'

OQ if met with questioner approval.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About Mit

If it ends up being being an OQ, let's go back to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Find an implied pun that isn't stated outright.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    Murdering people is definitely Belkar's favorite pastime, but I'm not sure this qualifies as the 'opposite of enthusiasm'

OQ if met with questioner approval.
    Nope, but I will hint that it is Belkar related.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nope, but I will hint that it is Belkar related.
    Does this count? If so, back to ORione's question.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

5. - Top - End - #185

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Does this count? If so, back to ORione's question.
    Also no. Next hint: the permission to go for it comes directly from Roy.

And agreed, I'd vote for us to go for ORione's question next after this one's found.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2022-08-01 at 05:03 PM.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

6. - Top - End - #186

BardGirl

7. - Top - End - #187

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNinja View Post
    Alright, I'm going to assume I phrased something badly at this point and made the trivia question confusing.

Answer: Belkar getting express permission to hurt someone as much as he wants, and being utterly unenthusiastic about it; I believe this is the only point in the whole comic where this occurs.

Back to ORione's question then.

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Find an implied pun that isn't stated outright.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2022-08-02 at 04:45 AM.
    ~Robin McKinley

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Alright, I'm going to assume I phrased something badly at this point and made the trivia question confusing.

Answer: Belkar getting express permission to hurt someone as much as he wants, and being utterly unenthusiastic about it; I believe this is the only point in the whole comic where this occurs.

Back to ORione's question then.
    You've phrased it just right, IMO. Just a hard one. Well done!

My judgments and medals!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Holy/holey is one.

Find a word that should only be ambiguous in writing.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yokyok View Post
    Holy/holey is one.

Find a word that should only be ambiguous in writing.
    It's the focal point of the whole strip, including the title.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Fond me a hefty chunk of steel (Presumably, but not called out as any other metal) that comes into being (i.e not explicitly just summoned from somewhere else) from thin air - without the use of arcane or divine spells.

My judgments and medals!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Fond me a hefty chunk of steel (Presumably, but not called out as any other metal) that comes into being (i.e not explicitly just summoned from somewhere else) from thin air - without the use of arcane or divine spells.
    The chunk of starmetal that the Order recovered from the dragon lair in the Wooden Forest (#188). It fell from the sky and happened to be big enough not to burn up in the atmosphere (#297 5th), so it came from thin air in a fashion. OQ.

13. - Top - End - #193

I was actually planning to use that to jokingly answer when the question came up again, but the phrasing was clever enough to discount it. It's not steel and it doesn't come into being.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I was actually planning to use that to jokingly answer when the question came up again, but the phrasing was clever enough to discount it. It's not steel and it doesn't come into being.
    Indeed - though I certainly appreciate the attempt to circumvent me

My judgments and medals!

15. - Top - End - #195

I don't think I'll be able to reach the dizzying heights of when I was able to continuously respond "Yes. Cleric 1" when the CLG threads were abuzz trying to see if we could determine minimum level for the vamped Exarch, but it's still fun to try.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

The way it read and after all the rejected answers I figured you were looking for exact phrasing on "the exact opposite of enthusiasm."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Don't give in so easily, good folks! I know of a possible answer which kind of involves the starmetal, kind of fits and probably still isn't the intended answer! Now, the default raw material for weapons is steel; it is therefore reasonable to assume that any given bladed weapon we see is made of steel. Therefore if we see, say, an ogre with an axe, the weapon's head should be considered steel until and unless proven otherwise. Further, based on the size of weapons Thog's seen to wield on-panel as compared to his own size, we can determine that greataxes do not possess particularly short hafts (relative to the haft of a polearm), but do seem large enough to be a pain to fight with without the use of both hands.

Subsequently, we can safely assume that the weapon popping into existence alongside the ogre carrying it is a greataxe of large size, and therefore weighs 24 lbs.; even if a mere two thirds of it is made up by the axe head (which should be forged from steel), we are still looking at 16 lbs. of steel, which I would call a hefty chunk.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Don't give in so easily, good folks! I know of a possible answer which kind of involves the starmetal, kind of fits and probably still isn't the intended answer! Now, the default raw material for weapons is steel; it is therefore reasonable to assume that any given bladed weapon we see is made of steel. Therefore if we see, say, an ogre with an axe, the weapon's head should be considered steel until and unless proven otherwise. Further, based on the size of weapons Thog's seen to wield on-panel as compared to his own size, we can determine that greataxes do not possess particularly short hafts (relative to the haft of a polearm), but do seem large enough to be a pain to fight with without the use of both hands.

Subsequently, we can safely assume that the weapon popping into existence alongside the ogre carrying it is a greataxe of large size, and therefore weighs 24 lbs.; even if a mere two thirds of it is made up by the axe head (which should be forged from steel), we are still looking at 16 lbs. of steel, which I would call a hefty chunk.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I guess I should have clarified that it needed to actually happen in the comic... Whelp

My judgments and medals!

20. - Top - End - #200

Is a chain shirt a chunk of steel?
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    I believe we have a winner.

22. - Top - End - #202

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    I believe we have a winner.
    All the way back to Page 1. Cheeky little blighter.
    ~Robin McKinley

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Yes indeed! That was my intended answer.

My judgments and medals!

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueWizardGirl

When does a difference in degree result in a difference of actions?
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes indeed! That was my intended answer.
    (Onjection! That's not a hefty chunk of steel; that's numerous decidedly non-hefty chunks of steel fastened together! I call FOUL!)

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post

26. - Top - End - #206

HalflingPirate

All the way back to Page 1. Cheeky little blighter.
    I award you two merit points for the throwback. Now you're sure to win the house cup.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

(Onjection! That's not a hefty chunk of steel; that's numerous decidedly non-hefty chunks of steel fastened together! I call FOUL!)
    Does "chunk" necessarily imply solidity and unity in English? I guess my head translates it as גוש, which could be used for something made out of multiple parts, as long as it's all stuck together.

My judgments and medals!

28. - Top - End - #208

ClericGuy

When the degree of danger the world is in results in a difference of what Serini does in protecting the Gate?

If so, then show me two points in the comic where messing with someone's animal results in outbursts of anger.
    ~Robin McKinley

29. - Top - End - #209

BlueWizardGirl

Hint: Roy is the one who points out the difference.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roy's fancy fighter degree sure paid off when he decided to stage an ambush because of it.

There's also, of course, a few degrees for a course of action when riding a worm.

If that's right, then how about this:

Serini is pretty good with her crossbow, but she has a regular bow hanging somewhere she probably used once. Where is Serini's bow-that-isn't-a-crossbow hanging?
    Last edited by ManicOppressive; 2022-08-03 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.