New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [M&M 3e] Fusion/Fission Power

I've got a power in mind where I can combine items or split them apart. Like, two modes:

1) I touch one item, and it turns into two lesser versions of the same item, roughly half as effective (one rank less effective). Turn a pistol into two weaker pistols, touch a door and turn it more brittle while spawning a second door of the new brittle material within reach. Turn a 100 dollar bill into two 50s.

2) I touch two items that are rather quite similar to each other, and combine them into one new version of the same item, roughly twice as effect (one rank more effective). Not just two pistols, but two pistols of the same manufacturer/brand, for example. Two bricks that are really close to the same size and competition.

Closest I've got currently is permanent Create and Transform use. The first mode (fission) would be a permanent Transform on the existing item into a weaker version of itself, and then Link that to a permanent Create that creates an exact copy of whatever the Transform result was. The second mode (fusion) would be perma-Transform one item into a better version of itself, and perma-transform the other into...air? Nothing?

It's not very elegant, and I'm hoping somebody has a better idea for how to make this power mechanically.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M 3e] Fusion/Fission Power

I think you can probably get away with just Transform 3 (two things to an improved version, or one thing to two weaker versions) and use power stunts for any odd edge cases where Create makes more sense.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [M&M 3e] Fusion/Fission Power

Just using transform should be fine as long as you are not using it to save points by using it to skip taking the classical defensive and offensive stuff(saves, damage and the like) so you should probably not use it to make a gun that deals your pl in damage for cheaper than an equivalent ranged attack but otherwise it is likely to be fine.
    Last edited by noob; 2022-07-24 at 03:18 PM.