New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Second Darkness: Children of the Void [IC]

Santiago is the first to speak up, he looks quite exhausted as he sinks into a chair in the Gold Goblin.
    ”Maggie and I picked up quite a bit from my relatives and other smugglers around town. Avery Slyeg has the best head start on us, but I’m not afraid of their crew. However we should be cautious of Cleg Zincher’s gang, they are dangerous and unpredictable. I’m not very worried about the cyphermages, but they may know why Depora excavated a piece of the Cyphergate under the Gold Goblin.”

He looks over at Maggie to see if she has anything to say, as he starts idly cleaning his armor.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Tysra is in a disagreeable mood upon her return to the Gold Goblin, and listening to what the others have learned does little to improve her disposition.

"The news you have brought us, if accurate, is most displeasing." She glances briefly to Ozlech and Lev before return her gaze to the center of the table, seemingly intent on staring a hole through its surface. "The Gas Forges are the only forges in the region which burn hot enough to work skymetal. Thus, it is certain that the dwarves of Goldhammer's company are experienced in the handling of such rare material. Their competence is evident in the danger and difficulty of their craft, and though I cannot know if they have previously had an opportunity to retrieve these metals at their source, given the longevity of their kind, I believe it prudent to assume that they have. That we are two days behind such a company means we are at a distinct disadvantage."

She is silent for a moment before continuing.

"The only conceivable remediating factor I can see here is that some of the other companies may have little interest in retrieving skymetal from the earth. It seems possible, if not likely, that at least Zincher's thugs may be planning to obtain skymetal in the same manner by which they obtained their vessel. In that case, the greater Goldhammer's success, the more likely his company may be to be preyed upon by the least scrupulous of our competitors."
    Last edited by rypt; 2022-08-11 at 11:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto, unfortunately, has little to add to the conversation. He's not a very smart person, and doesn't think hard on things like many of the others would.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ago nods to Tysra with respect, considering her words. His fatigue seems almost completely gone now, as he looks down at his hands, a look of deep concentration on his face.”You make good points Tysra. Everyone, tell me what you think of this.” He pauses.
    ”Perhaps we can strike up a fair deal with Goldhammer. In exchange for protecting them from Zincher’s thugs, we could take a portion of their haul. Perhaps they’d even be willing to forge some of it for us. I’d like us to be on decent terms with our competitors. However, I know that some of you might not be interested in jolly cooperation with the other prospecting teams.”

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

"Dwarves aren't known to share," says Sol, taking in all of what each group could share (if anything). "At best, they'd only pay us as guards, not as equals."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Maggie walks back alongside Ago distinctly uncomfortably. Despite the others' eager contemplation, the aging and personable Gnome maintains an uncharacteristic silence. Finally, after Sol's concern is aired, she breaks her peace. "I just don't understand!" she blurts. "If this stuff is so valuable as they say, surely splitting the profits with competitors will still afford most involved a princely sum! Why all the violence? Why all the killing and such?" She seems on the verge of tears as she obviously struggles to make sense of the groups' findings.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm just not sure of the best way to go. I mean, we could strike a deal with the dwarves and hope they treat us right. Or, we could freelance and take what Zincher steals from Goldhammer. Finally, I guess we could just go and find our own metal and trade a bit of it to forge what we want." Lev looks around at the group, "Am I missing anything?"
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ago will reach down it put a hand on Maggie’s shoulder if she allows. He looks calm and gentle, unlike his usual sternness.
    ”I’ve asked myself that same question many times, and I’ve never been satisfied with the answer. Men will always want what they do not have, that is more true in Riddleport than anywhere else. But I believe that we have the power to earn our keep fairly, without bloodshed, and protect those who do the same. I think we should speak with the dwarves when we arrive at least, if we don’t like their terms, we find our own metal. He pauses, collecting himself.
    ”That’s what I believe we should do. If we come into conflict with Zincher we deal with it then.”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Maggie nods eagerly alongside Ago, smiling up warmly at the earnest Tiefling. "I agree! Dwarves are honest folk, we can reason with them!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra's eyes narrow slightly as she senses a growing consensus. "Though there is value to be had in considering our options, I would caution against committing ourselves to a course of action until we are able to directly assess conditions on the island. The quantity of skymetal carried by the meteor is unknown to us, as is the integrity of the terrain proximate to the meteor's impact. Scarcity and accessibility will undoubtedly inform the decision making of those who arrived before us, and it should inform our decision making as well."
    Last edited by rypt; 2022-08-16 at 08:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Sol nods to Tsyra, "Good point. Until we're at the Devil's Elbow, we really don't know what's what."

Looking to the rest of the group, he says, "Which brings us to transportation. I've talked with a ship's captain named Josper Creesy of the Flying Cloud. It would have cost us 50 gp per passenger (yes, animals count as passengers, Maggie), but a friend contacted me and is willing to foot that bill. Visto, Ozzy ... you remember Kwava? He is interested in this trip we're taking, and while he wants to wait to see if there is a 'living' elf that fits the renegade description in the Riddleport area, our discovery of this strange ghast-elf might be the one we were told about, and her journal points us to Devil's Elbow. So, that is a shp and passage paid, which just means we need to be onboard ship by 2100 tonight for an early, dark-hours maneuvering watch with the tide. I'm already packed. Are the rest of you ready with what you need?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-08-19 at 02:04 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ago stands to go collect his things, his jewelry jingling softly.
    ”I’ll be ready. May Abadar keep you all.”
    He leaves to retrieve his weapons and armor.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Maggie frowns briefly at mention of cost and Scruff needing his own ticket. Her relief that some unfamiliar patron intends to foot the bill is almost tangible. "Oh, good!" she breathes. Wide-eyed by the sums involved, she murmurs, "I certainly couldn't afford that trip without help."

At Ago's words, she nods eagerly. "I always enjoy being out at night anyway. There's so many stars to see!" She turns to Sol. ""I just need to go retrieve my bag from the room upstairs. I... Well, I don't have much, so I'll just bring it all!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Lev shakes his head, "I'll need to make some arrangements and grab some things back at my room. I'll meet you all at the docks." He turns and makes his way out the door.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    Adding another 50 gp, his Gear Maintenance Kit, & Scrivener's Kit to his load out.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozzy

Checking over his bandoliers that everything is secured, Ozzy will confirm his readiness, ”Ready to go on our little night cruise. S’long as the captains steady and unlikely to run aground.”

He will move to the docks with the others once all are ready.

16. - Top - End - #76

The party rendezvouses at the dock. The Flying Cloud is a four-masted vessel built for speed. With a narrow beam, sharply raked stem, and square rig, the distinctive design (itself based on the design of the larger Chelish clipper) gives the ship great speed on the waves when under full sail. The Flying Cloud flies the flag of Riddleport on her mainmast (although the captain keeps a dozen flags in storage and feels no real ties to any one port). Captain Josper Creesy, a relatively young man, seeks to make a name for himself and his ship by setting speed records all along the Arcadian Coast.

The young Captain Creesy hurries everyone onboard. "Come, come! Welcome to the Flying Cloud. I was informed of the badger, but it will need to be penned in the Orlop Deck for everyone's safety - including its own. But don't worry, you'll be bunking down there, anyway. I'll show you down there, and after that, I invite you to dine with me in my cabin to talk of our voyage early on the morrow."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-08-22 at 04:51 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Maggie frowns demurely, but keeps her peace for now. She nods knowingly, acknowledging the truth of the captain's words. When the party is shown belowdecks, she spends several minutes closely inspecting the "lodgings" for Scruffy. "You'll be safe down here, big guy. And don't worry, if anything happens, I'll come get you, straight away!" Lastly, she retrieves a thick slab about as long as her arm of dried, salted meat. She gives it to Scruff, closing the door to her cage herself. "Stay, big guy." With a final, fond pat, she removes her arm from the enclosure and scurries back to catch up with the captain and the others.

18. - Top - End - #78

With everyone packed (and I mean packed) into the captain's cabin. Captain Creesy wishes to get to know you a little and find out why they're heading to Devil's Elbow, and during the dinner he all but interrogates them on their plans and goals once they arrive on the island. Speaking of which, he treats the PCs to a fine meal of fresh reefclaw and vegetables with warm bread and chilled wine. He makes a quip to them to not get used to such finery once the ship is underway, but for now they should enjoy the meal.

What do you tell him about what you seek?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Standing on the deck of the Flying Cloud, Ozzy doesn’t hide his admiration of the four masted vessel, easily the largest he has boarded legitimately, and nods at the Captain’s speech before following.

In the captain’s quarters at dinner, Ozzy takes the opportunity to speak and introduce himself and Ginny. ”My thanks at your warm welcome Captain. I am sure lodgings will be more than adequate for our needs aboard your vessel. Though do forgive us our lack of manners as we break bread with you this evening.” Ozzy greets the Captain warmly before continuing, “I am Ozlech Darkwing, though please do call me Ozzy, and my feathered companion here goes by Ginny. As for what we seek, we seek what most with ambition to brave the seas seek! Wealth! Wealth to make us the envy of any pirate in Riddleport. Ending up with just enough wealth to never get reacquainted with hunger would be fine too if we fall short of our goal.”
    Last edited by bcool999; 2022-08-24 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited post for Update

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Omigosh this is so delicious!" Maggie exhorts. "Thank you so much for sharing with us!"

After a time, she considers her answers to his questions. "Well, I just want to do what I'm supposed to. The world is a strange place, and the powers I serve want me to do something about it. At least, I think they do. I don't super mind, anyway. It feels good to help people!"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Santiago takes his time eating, seemingly enjoying every bite. After a while he gives his own answer to the captain’s questions.
    As he speaks, he picks food out of his sharp teeth with a piece of cutlery.
    ”My name is Santiago. As one of Abadar’s knights, I have a vested interest in making sure nothing malicious crops up on Devil’s elbow as a result of the new skymetal. But. On a personal note, I’m also traveling with these folks as a favor to my late brother, who knew them.”

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Visto is happy to meet Friend Captain. Visto came to help other Friends, and hopes not to fall in the water. Visto does not like the water." Visto shakes just a little when mentioning the water, but otherwise helps himself to food while listening to the others.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

This is Tsyra's first time aboard a seafaring vessel of any kind, and given her affinity for solid ground, her inexperience and discomfort are evident in equal measure. Too proud to ask for help, and too stubborn to complain, she seems intent to simply endure the voyage.

When asked about her interest in Devil's Elbow, she answers directly. "There is a relic of our people, an ancient blade forged by one of my ancestors. It was broken long ago, but should I acquire the right variety of skymetal, I believe it can be repaired. Findeladlara wills it so."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Lev smiles his most charming smile at the Captain, "I am a storyteller and songsmith. As such, I am along simply for the joy of recording the deeds I observe on the journey. Although, surely there will be more of such a fine repast once we are underway. A man of your station wouldn't dine on what his men are reduced to, would he?

Spoiler: uh...
    Show
    Lev is laying it on thick in the hopes that the Captain will invite him to dine with him during the trip...

Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Captain Creesy listens to everyone, smiling at some of the questions posed to him, and this is all mixed in with various small talk as well, of course. He seems to be very taken by Ago and Maggie, who stand out in the group as the most personable. He warms up to them, and by extension the rest of the PCs, and his interrogations swiftly transforms into actual conversation. He's eager to talk about his desire to set sailing speed records between Varisia and Andoran, but admits he's still a few months away from making the attempt. A local, Captain Creesy is well-versed in the stories of the region, and smiling, he asks, "So, the Devil's Elbow, eh? You of course have heard of Virashi's Curse, yes?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ago raises an eyebrow, looking concerned.
    ”I’ve only recently returned to Riddleport after many years away. I’ve never heard of this curse. What is it?”

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler: Captain Creesy Tells the Story of Devil's Elbow & Virashi's Curse
    Show
    "Well, the way I hear it," Captain Creesy begins ....

"Devil’s Elbow is a mountainous island, heavily forested with pine trees, firs, redwoods, and cypress trees. Reefs and dangerous rocks surround the island except for one narrow approach to a sheltered cove on its northern side, and most of the island’s shores are rocky cliffs averaging 100 feet in height. The island terrain itself is rugged, with its highest peak being 800 feet above sea level. Birds, bats, and other flying animals are common fauna, and there’s a relatively large population of deer, wild boar, wild dogs, stirges, giant centipedes, snakes, donkey rats, and rabbits on the island as well. Most of these animals and vermin were introduced to the island by settlers from the south 5 decades ago.

"At that time, Devil’s Elbow was known primarily among the local Varisians and goblin tribes of the nearby mountains as the lair of a cruel and capricious siren named Virashi. When disenfranchised explorers and settlers began drifting into the region in great numbers 70 or so years ago, dissatisfied with the way Magnimar was growing, several settlements sprang up along the shores here. While two of these settlements (Riddleport and Roderic’s Cove) fared well and even flourished, most of the settlements, faced with goblins, dangerous wildlife, and the difficulties of the remote region, did not. The village of Witchlight, founded in 4680 AR by an exiled Chelish merchant named Yaris Neraken, was one such village.

"When he was scouting locations for a suitable site, he and his ship wrecked on the reefs surrounding Devil’s Elbow. Yaris, the only survivor of the wreck, found himself in the care of a strange and enthralling creature with the body of a bird and the face of a beautiful woman—the siren Virashi. He spent many months as her plaything, but in time an amazing thing happened. The two fell in love. Virashi released Yaris from enthrallment, and while he remained at the siren’s side for many more weeks, he pined for the comforts of civilization. He eventually convinced Virashi that, were he to establish a thriving community on the island above, not only would he be able to enjoy soft beds and fireplaces but the money he brought in would allow him to drape the siren and her lair with riches. It didn’t take much to convince the avaricious siren of the benefits of this idea.

"Yaris returned to Magnimar and managed to convince several investors that the rumors of Virashi were little more than that, and that he would be able to build a thriving settlement on the island. Once they arrived, he chose a site at the center of the island that overlooked the Varisian Gulf to serve as his new village’s foundation, and commissioned the creation of several watchtowers and lighthouses to warn what he hoped would be a steady influx of merchant traffic away from the dangerous reefs. Yaris returned to Magnimar and managed to convince several investors that the rumors of Virashi were little more than that, and that he would be able to build a thriving settlement on the island. Once they arrived, he chose a site at the center of the island that overlooked the Varisian Gulf to serve as his new village’s foundation, and commissioned the creation of several watchtowers and lighthouses to warn what he hoped would be a steady influx of merchant traffic away from the dangerous reefs.

"Yet as the construction of Witchlight and the watchtowers continued, it became apparent that Yaris’ dream was unraveling. What was initially intended to be a self-sustaining settlement became more and more reliant on supplies from Riddleport, and that city was only too eager to gouge Yaris for every penny. As dissent increased among his people, Yaris’ bad luck seemed only to grow. The western watchtower burned partially to the ground only a week after construction was complete, killing nearly a dozen laborers and Yaris’ brother in the process. Several weeks later, a ship bearing a huge shipment of grain ran afoul of the reefs surrounding the island, and the giant centipedes that had infested the ship made it ashore and quickly bloomed into one of the island’s most obnoxious and dangerous pests. The spate of bad luck gave rise to whispers of “Virashi’s Curse,” and more and more locals began to speak of seeing a ghostly woman-faced bird in the forests and on the rocky shores. Yaris railed against these rumors, but was unable to offer proof that Virashi wasn’t behind the “curse” without revealing his secret. Then, at the onset of winter during a particularly violent storm, the final blow struck. A shipment of diseased cattle brought to the island to augment meager food stores saw an outbreak of the deadly disease anthrakitis that killed off a third of Witchlight’s population. Distraught over the fact that his dream was falling apart, Yaris went down to seek comfort with Virashi—but he was followed by a suspicious priest who believed Yaris had made a deal with a devil that had gone sour. The priest’s fears were confirmed when he witnessed Yaris and Virashi embrace. He returned to Witchlight, roused a mob, and under the protection of a silence spell, led the mob down to Virashi’s cave the next morning and slew the siren as she slept in her lair.

"Yaris woke the next day to a horrific sight—the body of his lover hanging from a pole above a fire in the middle of Witchlight. Overcome with grief and shock, Yaris threw himself from the eastern watchtower onto the rocks and surf below. This was the final blow to the settlement—without Yaris to provide encouragement, the remaining citizens of Devil’s Elbow packed up and left for easier lives in Riddleport, Magnimar, or beyond. By the end of the week, Devil’s Elbow had been abandoned.

"For the past several decades, Devil’s Elbow has remained uninhabited. Travelers on ships passing close to the island sometimes claim to see lights burning in the island’s watchtowers, further inspiring rumors that the place is haunted. These rumors are given weight every few years when adventurers decide to sail out to the island in search of Virashi’s hidden treasure, since many of them do not return, and those who do come with tales of monstrous centipedes, strange noises, and mysterious lights in the woods. This, combined with the fact that an unusual number of ships seem to wreck and sink in the waters within a 5-mile radius around the island, secured the region’s ill repute, and today, very few visitors come to its deserted shores."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ago looks grim as the captain finishes his story. He takes a deep breath before he speaks.”Thank you again for giving us a lift captain, considering the dangers.” He looks at his companions, more resolute than before. ”Whatever horrors await us, we will stand firm against them.” thinking about something, he cuts in one more time.
    ”Especially if there’s ghosts…. I hate ghosts.”

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Listening to the Captain’s telling of Virashi’s curse, Ozzy smiles and says, ”A chilling tale well told Captian. Though I suspect Devil’s Elbow isn’t quite so deserted as the story says as this is not the only ship flying sails to the island from Riddleport. Still knowing of the centipede infestation will help ready us to face any we find.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Maggie listens, wide-eyed, utterly rapt by Creesy's well-spun tale. As he comes to a close, she finds herself almost blinking back tears. "What a horribly sad story!" she murmurs. "Poor Virashi..."

Lost in thought for a few moments, she perks up as her companions share similar sentiments. "You're sure you can navigate the reefs? I'd hate to try and swim ashore with Scruff..."