New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Second Darkness: Children of the Void [IC]

Ago politely moves past Scruff and Maggie, but so as not to threaten the spirit by getting to close moves along the east by Tsyra. "You seem spirit, not demon, and though I am vigilant, I know that not all spirits are malevolent. Tell us your name, and if we may peaceably find rest for you."

"Yes," Maggie seconds. "It hurts my heart to see a spirit unsettled, for I am a shaman and friend to those who are friendly spirits."

"My name is Virashi, and I was Yaris' siren love," she says. "I don't know what hope there is for me, but you speak to me with kindness, and if there is a question I may answer, I will do so."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto follows in after the others and addresses the Spirit. "Visto is happy to hear this. Visto and Friends have been worried about dangerous creatures living in this cave. A dangerous thing killed one of Visto's Friends just yesterday.Is there anything Spirit Friend could tell about this cave?"
    Last edited by meemaas; 2024-01-21 at 05:11 PM.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

3. - Top - End - #903

The others push in as well, pushing the hole line a little farther south and slightly around. Val-Doreth remains outside to be on guard.

She answers as best as she can, "When the dark-skinned elves came, I had hoped they had the information about my love Yaris. Upon approaching me, though, they answered only with violence, defeating me and vanquishing me until I rejuvenated an unknown number of days later. When I was back in my powers, rage filled me and I lashed out these darkened elves, but they defeated me again, this time isolating me here with a magical barricade that kept me here and being unable to use my voice. Unable to move beyond the boundaries of my chamber, I have spent the past several weeks suffering their proximity while I spent all hours of the day and night in torment.

"I see, of course, that you are not of them, and I do not hold the earlier actions of the dark elves against you. I was rewarded with a story of pain, but at least I know now of my lost love. Among themselves, they do not refer to themselves as dark elves, but 'drow.' They are led by a drow female named Shindiira, a powerful and unholy priestess of an unknown force, but skilled in arms as well. Then, there is her lieutenant ... a drow male who wields magic of nature perverted. Their primary enforcer is Chmetugo, a shadow demon that serves Shindiira. Then, there are the rank and file drow males that have been turned into some type of undead, I am guessing so she can force their loyalty with her dark powers."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As a reminder, none of you have ever heard the term "dark elf" or "drow" before.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto takes in what was said, and speaks again, "This Chmetugo, would Friend Spirit know if it was here yesterday? Or when the Dark-skinned Elves were last here?" Visto pauses for a moment, before adding something else. "Can Visto and Friends help Friend Spirit?

5. - Top - End - #905

"I do not know anything beyond the magical barricade," says Virashi. "You told me the tragedy of my beloved, remove the accursed dark creatures, and perhaps that will give me rest."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra contemplates Virashi's words before addressing the spirit. "I have never heard of such a thing as a 'drow.' Perhaps the term is of some significance to whatever cult or malicious enterprise they serve. Curious too that only the males are condemned to undeath. We encountered two such sentries guarding a cliffside door yesterday afternoon. They were destroyed without difficulty. When we returned later in the day, however, we were ambushed by this 'Chmetugo.' The demon killed one of our company, a human named Lev. It would likely have killed Santiago as well had it not been for the intervention of Jal-Valdoreth." She looks to each of them in turn. "It is most troubling to learn that such a deadly creature is merely the servant of another that inhabits these caves."

She gestures with her empty hand towards the once barricaded passageway. "I believe that the barrier that confined you here has been destroyed. Until such a time as we are able to bring you peace you are owed, know that you are free to move about as you see fit."
    Last edited by rypt; 2024-01-25 at 12:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #907

"I shall help you revenge yourself on your fallen, if you allow me to help you avenge myself on my would-be captors," says Virashi.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra looks to the others. Absent any objections, she turns back to the spirit and touches a hand to her holy symbol. "Findeladlara smiles upon your generous offer. These caves are your home, and so we are your guests. Uninvited perhaps, but I hope not also unwelcome." She bows her head slightly in a gesture of respect. "If it is vengeance you seek, then we shall seek it together."

9. - Top - End - #909

Ago says, "Right, let us move on them now and he heads out of the smaller chamber."

Tsyra?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto follows after Ago, happy to be helping the friendly Spirit.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra will follow Santiago as well, keeping within the glow of Maggie's light.

12. - Top - End - #912

Ago leading the fray, he moves to the intersection where the demon had attacked .... but now it is quiet.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is this where Lev fell?" Tsyra asks Santiago, speaking only as loud as necessary. She will examine as much of the chamber as the light will allow, checking for Lev's body, or any sign of it being moved elsewhere.

If there is no sign of Lev's body, nor evidence of its relocation, she will ask those with a source of light, darkvision, or in Virashi's case, possible knowledge of the cave's layout, "Where else does this chamber lead?"

14. - Top - End - #914

Does the party move south so that the light can go into the southern area where Lev fell (and beyond) and do a search?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915

The sound of waves crashing against the cliffs echoes in this chamber through a narrow fissure in the eastern wall. A low table sits against the west wall, on which the remains of an unusual creature are splayed. The doglike beast’s body is partially dissected and surrounded by a variety of tools and half-filled bottles.

Thanks to its position and the narrow shelf it opens onto, this chamber serves as a perfect place to watch the land approach to the caves, providing an unobstructed view all the way up the cliffside without appearing obvious from outside.

The body on the makeshift table is, of course, a dead akata that someone had been examining.

Nothing else of note is in this cavern.

What now?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto looks out at the view of the land approach to the cavern, before checking out the bottles, interested in what the contents might be.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra steps away from the fissure and nearer to Virashi. "We have come to know these creatures as 'akatas,'" she says to the spirit. "Have you seen such a creature before?"

18. - Top - End - #918

"I have never seen such a disgusting little monster," Virashi says.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

"They roam Devil's Elbow in great numbers," Tsyra explains, "delivered here by the falling star. I do not know whether or not they were brought here deliberately, but it is these drow who are responsible. Somewhere on this island, perhaps in these very caves, they have either created or discovered magical glyphs with the power to tear stars from the sky."
    Last edited by rypt; 2024-03-13 at 01:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #920

"C'mon, gang," says Ago, prompting the team, "let's keep going."

Surprise Round ...

S23: As the group gets into formation, Tsyra is third in line going up the tunnel to the north. She senses danger to the north, though she doesn't know what it is or the nature of it. This is pure instinct, not sensory input. What does she do?
    Spoiler: Surprise Round
    Show
    Not only are you limited to SA or MA (not FRA/ FAA) plus ability to take FA and SwA, she is limited during surprise round to three words or less vocally, and no off-round vocals.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra suddenly darts forward, raising her kinetic blade to meet an unknown threat. "Our enemy approaches!"

Show
    Free action: If not already formed already, form slashing kinetic blade.

Swift action: Adopt scarlet einhander stance.

Move action: Move 2 squares north of Jal-Valdoreth.

22. - Top - End - #922

S23: Tsyra suddenly darts forward, raising her kinetic blade to meet an unknown threat. "Our enemy approaches!"

S19: Jal-Valdoreth looks east - outside of the thin bit of green light escaping through the tunnel from Maggie - and calls out, "Creatures of death!"

She steps just out of the light to the east and there is a bright flash - too quick and bright for Tsyra to see anything in the darkness.

S18: The sound of something clicking, followed by something dropping to the ground.

S17: Virashi flies through everyone (very unsettling) - even Tsyra - and gets just north of her and 5' off the ground. "Their undead warriors."

S14: Tsyra feels a sharp pain in her belly, but tries to ignore it for now (17 DDP).

End Surprise Round, Begin Round One ...

R1T23:
    Tsyra, you can't see but for Maggie's faint green light escaping the tunnel. You do hear the sounds of rushing water echoing behind you, as if there is a great chamber to the west with an underground river. Luckily, because you do have the green light, you did just see the angle of attack to determine that the one that stabbed you with a rapier blade is to your east. What do you do?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsyra grimaces as she looks down the tunnel towards Maggie. "Bring forward the light! An enemy strikes from the darkness to my east." She readies her earthen blade to strike at this foe once it is revealed.

Show
    Standard action: Ready a kinetic blade attack against any adjacent hostile target revealed by light before the start of her next turn.
    Attack: (d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[13] plus (1d6)[5] from scarlet einhander.

24. - Top - End - #924

R1T23: Tsyra grimaces as she looks down the tunnel towards Maggie. "Bring forward the light! An enemy strikes from the darkness to my east." She readies her earthen blade to strike at this foe once it is revealed.

R1T22: "On it!" answers Maggie. "Scruff, with me."

She then carefully spins her light-staff protectively to keep up defense as she moves forward. She only gets 10' before Tsyra sees an opponent and attacks, but the dark-skinned warrior moves far faster than expected and dodges the attack. Meanwhile, Maggie continues out of the tunnel and a little west. "Two bogeys in line northeast of me, 10' close."

R1T19: "I don't know what type of creature it was, but I know what type of creature it is," says Valdoreth. "They are zombie lords, 'undead' if that helps your tactics. As a zombie variant, use cutting weapons if you can."

She glares at Blue with a righteous fury, a faint glow forming around her and steps to flank with Tsyra, completely heedless of Red behind her. Forming from her wrists is a glowing, sword-like construct that is as long as a two-handed sword, but possessing graceful curves and a more balanced look. She swings at the zombie, but it dodges her attack effortlessly.

R1T18: Red, at whose feat is a released hand crossbow, steps into flank against Valoreth. He draws his rapier and forcefully stabs the deva in the back for 12 mod.

R1T17: Scruff follows Maggie, getting behind her.

R1T16: Virashi withdraws into the rock behind her.

R1T14: Blue spins around to take advantage of the flank, but Val deflects the blade.

R1T8: Sol flies forward and takes a position 5' off the ground and near Tsyra and Maggie. He takes a shield extract.

R1T6: Visto, what do you do?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto refocuses his Essence, conjuring up a number of small motes of light, and then quickly launching them forward to light the way and provide visual support for his Friends. After confirming the path forward, Visto moves after them to get closer to his Friends and help with the battle, as the Storm he commands starts to build up on the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nonaction: Generate 1 Temporary Essence and invest it into The Sirocco.
    Swift action: Reallocate 2E from Wings into Bangles of Roving Light, activating it and generating 4 motes of light (Random Colors) As part of this action, Visto will send them forth in the direction of his allies, using one to light the way between himself and the green light he sees, and moving the others beyond that point, stopping them at 15 foot intervals past the point where he can see on the map.

Move action x2, if needed: Move North towards the rest of his allies, stopping one he's within 15 feet of one of them, or as far as his move action(s) can take him, whichever comes first.

At the end of his turn, The Sirocco deals (1d3)[1] Nonlethal Fire damage to all targets within range except those affected by Weatherproofing, which I know is pointless, all points considering, but the decision to change veils at the start of combat predates the point where Visto knows what they are

26. - Top - End - #926

R1T6: Visto refocuses his Essence, conjuring up a number of small motes of light, and then quickly launching them forward to light the way and provide visual support for his Friends. After confirming the path forward, Visto moves after them to get closer to his Friends and help with the battle, as the Storm he commands starts to build up on the way, though with Ago lit up in the passage, Visto only moves 10' forward to be within 15' of the paladin.

R1T5: Ago moves forward while readying his shield and drawing his scimitar. Unfortunately, in his attempt to quickly draw and cut, he nicks his palm on his scimitar (3 bleed).

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T23:
    Tsyra, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-03-23 at 09:32 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ogre in the Playground

With both zombies focused on Valdoreth, Tsyra slashes at Blue's exposed flank.

Show
    Standard action: Attack Blue with kinetic blade.
    Attack: (d20+10)[19] (Flanking bonus not applied)
    Damage: (2d6+5)[8] plus (1d6)[2] from scarlet einhander

Immediate action: If Tsyra is granted breaker's dodge at the end of her turn and is subsequently attacked with a manufactured weapon, she will use breaker's dodge to attempt to negate the attack.

28. - Top - End - #928

R2T23: With both zombies focused on Valdoreth, Tsyra slashes at Blue's exposed flank, and with flanking and the still-extant bless, the blade just manages to cut into the enemy's back for 10. With that stroke, she is given inspiration to her last remaining maneuver, while at the same time feeling the 17 she had forestalled.

R2T22: Maggie calls out, "Val! Get ready to dive south in a withdrawal if you fail against my spell!"

Maggie casts a spell, and a tremendously brilliant flash covers the two zombie lords and Valdoreth. The warning helps and Val is only dazzled. Unfortunately, her long and loud warning also made the two undead dodge pretty well, but the spell burns their evil natures and Blue takes 5 light + blind and Red takes 3 light + blind.

"That's weird,"
    admits Maggie. "They both dodged crazy-good, but are still blinded. Sic 'em, Scruff!"

R2T19: "I don't think the blinding is from your spell, little one, so much as it is that they seem to have sensitive eyes. Worry not about me, and more of that would be good!" exhorts Valdoreth. With the opposition temporarily off-kilter, she takes the time to place holy energies on Ago. "Bird-friend, close Santiago's wound!"

R2T18: Red takes a swing that looks like it would've taken Val's head off were he not blind.

R2T17: Scruff moves past Maggie and Sol to bite Blue for 6.

R2T16: With the battle crammed as it is, Virashi looks out over the water behind the party. "Behind us is a massive cavern. On top of a platform to the south are two more guards, sneaking this way."

She begins to sing an ancient lay that stirs the hearts of the party!

R2T14: Blue scores a lucky, blind stab in Val's foot for 4 mod.

R2T11-10: Mixed in little bursts in her song, Virashi says, "I also hear a female casting..."

R2T8: Sol flies over Scruff and tries and fails to stop Ago's bleeding. "Visto, like the lady said. A little help!"

"... over to the ..."

R2T6: Visto, what do you do?

Ago on deck ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-03-24 at 02:50 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto, upon hearing the call for aid, focuses his attention on helping Ago. He moves the rest of the way into the room, and upon catching sight of his Friend, releases a small drizzle of healing rain upon his Friend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nonaction: Generate 1 Temporary Essence. Invest both it into Soothing Rain

Swift action: Reallocate 1 Essence from The Sirocco into Soothing Rain

Move action: Move after the others, stopping once Visto can see Ago

Standard action: Activate Soothing Rain on Santiago, healing for (6d8)[29]

30. - Top - End - #930

R2T6: Visto, upon hearing the call for aid, focuses his attention on helping Ago. He moves the rest of the way into the room, and upon catching sight of his Friend, releases a small drizzle of healing rain upon his Friend to stop his bleeding.

R2T5: Refreshed, Ago's scimitar flashes out at Blue's sword wrist to strike for 15 before stepping east.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T24:
    A torchlight appears somewhere to the west and a mote of flame misses Virashi, landing to extinguish at Maggie's feet.

R3T23: Tsyra, what do you do?

Maggie on deck, Valdoreth in the hole ...
    Show