A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 189 of 189
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The poster with the silhouettes is by far my favorite. Each character has an easy visual hook that lets you know who they are and what they do—staff and robes for the wizard, axe for the fighter, instrument for the bard, etc.

    That speaks to me far more than a clutter of faces, or worse yet a circle of faces looking down on me. The silhouettes are quick, evocative, and tell me this is a D&D party from the days of yore. That right there makes me want to see this.
    A good silhouette is a good character design. For example, Indiana Jones without accouterments is just a silhouette of a guy. Could be anyone. But a wide-brimmed Australian fedora and a coiled whip and his waist and you have an instantly recognizeable character.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The poster with the silhouettes is by far my favorite. Each character has an easy visual hook that lets you know who they are and what they do—staff and robes for the wizard, axe for the fighter, instrument for the bard, etc.

    That speaks to me far more than a clutter of faces, or worse yet a circle of faces looking down on me. The silhouettes are quick, evocative, and tell me this is a D&D party from the days of yore. That right there makes me want to see this.
    Early World of Warcraft was quite good at this - you could tell race (and thus faction), and make a fair guess at class of just about any character from just their silhouette. It worked on almost a subconscious level, and was a marvel of design work. (They tossed it all out the window later, possibly without even realizing what they were doing, after team turnover.)

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Posters are less advertisements designed to get you into the theaters, and more reminders that the film exists, a bid for attention in an overstimulated world.
    I think this is it. The only time I see movie posters is on internet forums where the movie is already being discussed. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual, real-life movie poster.

    Since I only see the posters in forum threads for the movie, I am generally already aware of the movie, and often already interested in it.
    The only exception would be movie posters that are so terrible that I come across discussion of the poster without being aware the movie exists. So maybe it's even beneficial to make a terrible poster?

    Good movie posters only serve a purpose if there is an opportunity for me to see the poster without already being interested in the movie.
    Trailers do this! Several websites like youtube put trailers in my recommend list for movies I was unaware of; movie theatres do the same; I guess television does, too.

    So indeed the poster is just a heads-up: hey, remember this movie exists. These people are in it. See ya.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    I only ever see posters at the cinema, when I'm already on my way to watch that movie. And I guess there's banner ads on websites that are based on the posters.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    I think this is it. The only time I see movie posters is on internet forums where the movie is already being discussed. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual, real-life movie poster.
    Not to self, Murk cannot remember the last time they went it an actual, real-life movie theater.

    Imean, really, they haven't gone away because of the internet. Big cities still have movie ads like they alway did. Movie theaters still have movie ads like they always did. Where did you used to see them that you don't anymore?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-12-09 at 10:55 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not to self, Murk cannot remember the last time they went it an actual, real-life movie theater.

    Imean, really, they haven't gone away because of the internet. Big cities still have movie ads like they alway did. Movie theaters still have movie ads like they always did. Where did you used to see them that you don't anymore?
    Honestly, don't know!

    Twenty years ago I remember seeing movie posters at train stations or bus stops or even in magazines and newspapers.
    (Granted, it's been a long time since I've touched a newspaper)

    I do go to real-life movie theaters every now and then, but I don't actually think they have these big movie posters hanging on the walls anymore. Not so sure, but I often only see cardboard cut-outs (for the big budget movies) and screens with short trailers.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On Paper
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Not to self, Murk cannot remember the last time they went it an actual, real-life movie theater.

    Imean, really, they haven't gone away because of the internet. Big cities still have movie ads like they alway did. Movie theaters still have movie ads like they always did. Where did you used to see them that you don't anymore?
    It's less that you don't see them anymore, you do (movie theatres, billboards, ect), and more that a poster is far less likely to be your first exposure to a film, and your next step upon seeing a poster isn't going to be to look up film times in the newspaper if you're intrigued, it's to go watch the trailer online.

    Thus, the importance of the poster is far reduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Honestly, don't know!

    Twenty years ago I remember seeing movie posters at train stations or bus stops or even in magazines and newspapers.
    (Granted, it's been a long time since I've touched a newspaper)

    I do go to real-life movie theaters every now and then, but I don't actually think they have these big movie posters hanging on the walls anymore. Not so sure, but I often only see cardboard cut-outs (for the big budget movies) and screens with short trailers.
    The really huge ones are called bus shelters, and it looked like they're still being made and distributed. They're made out of vinyl and require much more wall space so they're less common overall.

    For the rest, I can't say, but the last time I went to NYC I sorely remember seeing an enormous amount of ads for movies and TV shows and wondering how much it actually affects the take they get in, because they were everywhere.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

    I think movie posters play a minor part when people seek interest to see what movie is playing in theaters.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •