New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: She-Hulk - New Trailer

Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    Episode 4 is by far the best so far. Donny Blaze was funny but in particular I liked the bit about the hype man. I've definitely lobbed that accusation at guys when I'm in the field arguing with people lol. There's always that one guy on the side coming in with the "yeah's" and the "that's right" at the end of another guy's sentences lol.

The interactions with Madisynn were hilarious. Actually, she kind of reminded me of another Madison, from Zombieland. Is Madison a meme?

I'm sure I'm not alone in the whole matchmaking thing but... years ago I found out I had an older sister that no one in the family knew about. We met and hit it off, and eventually she set about making me a profile on a matchmaking site to lend a hand, so to speak. It was funny and awkward, but needless to say I feel Jen's struggles. Speaking of which...

It hit me in the feels when the doc oncologist bounced the next morning. I was like... dude... for real? Maybe he'll come back and be like "you kind of me threw me off with a different persona", or maybe the point is that you can't even trust really nice sincere dudes because secretly they're still not. I don't know, but I was hoping they'd hit it off .

The courtroom stuff is becoming less and less noticeable as anything resembling an actual courtroom. But I'm okay with that because seeing Donny Blaze ask "is this not real magic?" and then change the color of his jacket was hilarious.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai
    Spoiler
    Show
    Donny Blaze was funny but in particular I liked the bit about the hype man. I've definitely lobbed that accusation at guys when I'm in the field arguing with people lol. There's always that one guy on the side coming in with the "yeah's" and the "that's right" at the end of another guy's sentences lol.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you elaborate on what a “hype man” is? That went right by me.

Also, do you often deal with people like this?

Spoiler
    Show
    The interactions with Madisynn were hilarious. Actually, she kind of reminded me of another Madison, from Zombieland.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn’t even see that until you said it here, but they’re almost the same character, except that Madisynn is drunk most of the time. I could easily see Madisynn having been based on Madison, since their voices sound almost identical.

Spoiler
    Show
    It hit me in the feels when the doc oncologist bounced the next morning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had the feeling he was underwhelmed by the perky and petite Jen, as opposed to the massive and powerful She-Hulk. He’s pretty bulked himself, so maybe that’s what he values, and that’s what he felt like he’d found in She-Hulk…only to be disappointed the next morning.

It does seem shallow of him, but the other options are even more shallow.

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you elaborate on what a “hype man” is? That went right by me.

Also, do you often deal with people like this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think originally a hype man is someone on stage with a performer who hypes up the crowd, and that's usually done, in part, by exclaiming something after the performer says or sings something.

On construction sites, in my experience, there's a lot of banter, back-and-forth, and arguments. And there's usually, among these groups of people, a tag-along that functions similarly to a hype man. The purpose isn't so much to hype anyone up. Rather, it's more that the person lacks the courage/confidence to offer up an argument or suggestion directly on their own, but once someone else speaks up, they feel more comfortable giving a little commentary. The truncated speech right after the other person's opinion makes it similar to a hype man on stage, hence the term. But the irony is that it's more like the other way around as I've seen it in person.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn’t even see that until you said it here, but they’re almost the same character, except that Madisynn is drunk most of the time. I could easily see Madisynn having been based on Madison, since their voices sound almost identical.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We need more iterations of Madison in media! There's something endearing about clueless people like this. Though Madison wasn't completely clueless. Donny Blaze would be similar if he wasn't actively trying to cheat the system.

Spoiler
    Show
    I had the feeling he was underwhelmed by the perky and petite Jen, as opposed to the massive and powerful She-Hulk. He’s pretty bulked himself, so maybe that’s what he values, and that’s what he felt like he’d found in She-Hulk…only to be disappointed the next morning.

It does seem shallow of him, but the other options are even more shallow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a possibility. Though I got the impression that he was ready to bounce even before he saw Jen. Still disappointing .

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She made a She-Hulk account to get results that her Jen Walters account wasn't getting. So, of course, she would get people that are interested in She-Hulk but not Jen Walters.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'll just say it - Madisynn needs a spinoff, stat

Preferably one where she and Wongers just review other movies and shows, and just bounce around the MCU in general.

I feel bad for Jen's Matcher profile prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The interesting thing was...BOTH of those things happened post-Hulkening, which is why I don't consider them a real representation of her life. Remember that the office scene at the start is a framing device. It takes place after she gets Hulked and then she's like "BTW I'm a Hulk let's flashback".

So we never get to see unmodified Jen Walters before she gets that massive confidence boost from being superhuman, except in the very brief scene where she's in the car with Bruce.

It changes the framing quite a bit, in my eyes.
    The office scene might have been post-hulk, but it was still representative of her pre-hulk life. About the only hulk reference there prior to the flashback was her paralegal saying "And if all else fails, try doing your other thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'll just say it - Madisynn needs a spinoff, stat

Preferably one where she and Wongers just review other movies and shows, and just bounce around the MCU in general.
    I wholeheartedly agree and would watch that
    I feel bad for Jen's Matcher profile prospects.
    Yeah, I think Palanan and Devlerbat make good points and it's true the doctor was probably attracted to She-Hulk qualities and Jen took him off guard. Still, doesn't feel good. But she'll keep trucking!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

The office scene might have been post-hulk, but it was still representative of her pre-hulk life. About the only hulk reference there prior to the flashback was her paralegal saying "And if all else fails, try doing your other thing."
    Hrm. I may not be explaining properly what I mean here.

So, basically, my point is we never get to see Jen's unadulterated reaction to stuff like that. She's already a Hulk, so she already has that inherent undertone of confidence. "There's nothing this person can do to me."

We don't see what Jen might have reacted like without that confidence. Would she have been as snarky? Or would she have just "held it in" as she says to Bruce? What does that look like? Would she have vented about it later?

That's the kind of thing I mean. Her mental state has already been altered by the first time we see her. The ONLY unfiltered reaction we see from her in the entire series is when the spaceship shows up and she panics which is...such a universal reaction it's hard to base anything off of character-wise.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

She's already a Hulk, so she already has that inherent undertone of confidence. "There's nothing this person can do to me."
    Where are you getting that from? She's still very much adjusting to her new condition. When she was attacked by those jokers with the Asgardian construction equipment, her initial reaction was to scream in terror before remembering she can hulk out.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Also I don't think she was public at that point. Only a few people knew.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

10. - Top - End - #250

Hrm. I may not be explaining properly what I mean here.

So, basically, my point is we never get to see Jen's unadulterated reaction to stuff like that. She's already a Hulk, so she already has that inherent undertone of confidence. "There's nothing this person can do to me."

We don't see what Jen might have reacted like without that confidence. Would she have been as snarky? Or would she have just "held it in" as she says to Bruce? What does that look like? Would she have vented about it later?

That's the kind of thing I mean. Her mental state has already been altered by the first time we see her. The ONLY unfiltered reaction we see from her in the entire series is when the spaceship shows up and she panics which is...such a universal reaction it's hard to base anything off of character-wise.
    It's not about what he can "do" to her. Microaggressions don't stop being microaggressions just because the person/coworker making them can't actually physically or professionally harm you. They're still a source of consistent anger that laid a foundation of control for her.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Where are you getting that from? She's still very much adjusting to her new condition. When she was attacked by those jokers with the Asgardian construction equipment, her initial reaction was to scream in terror before remembering she can hulk out.
    Also this.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's not about what he can "do" to her. Microaggressions don't stop being microaggressions just because the person/coworker making them can't actually physically or professionally harm you. They're still a source of consistent anger that laid a foundation of control for her.
    While I agree with that, there always exists "what someone can just do", given the circumstances. Terry Crews, who is roughly the size of my goddamn refrigerator, was sexually assaulted by a Hollywood exec and stayed quiet for some time because of the power dynamics. Not the physical power dynamics, but the social and professional power dynamics. And if Terry Crews isn't a decent real-world analog for a Hulk, at least physically, then I don't know what is.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    While I agree with that, there always exists "what someone can just do", given the circumstances. Terry Crews, who is roughly the size of my goddamn refrigerator, was sexually assaulted by a Hollywood exec and stayed quiet for some time because of the power dynamics. Not the physical power dynamics, but the social and professional power dynamics. And if Terry Crews isn't a decent real-world analog for a Hulk, at least physically, then I don't know what is.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that microaggressions can't be a harbinger for something far worse, or even that those worse things without the microaggressions aren't worth awareness or discussion. Rather, my point is that microaggressions are, on their own, enough of a source of "background rage" for their victims - minorities - that her quicker path to control than Bruce was anticipating is not implausible.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since I haven't seen it posted yet, Law and the Multiverse has done several posts on She-Hulk, most recently one on Episode 4 of the show. Other posts deal with the comics, but may provide some interesting information, including whether Jennifer could continue being a practicing court lawyer at all.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

New episode. Light, breezy, probably the most enjoyable yet. Also tied in some of the previous encounters and answered a couple of questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    In particular, whether the absurdly buffed pediatric oncologist would have dated Jen as Jen—which he outright said he wouldn’t have. Yeah, shallow jerk. And he was her star witness.

All things Titania-related were hilarious, including her takeover of the show’s logo and the “Titaniacs.” I do have to wonder how Titania was able to organize a product show so quickly, but maybe the Titaniacs have connections.

The superhero designer was a bit of a cliché, and had nothing on Edna, but the real fun was the oddball things he had in the background, including (apparently) a super-suit for someone with a beer gut. And of course, the obligatory Daredevil reference.

Is this the best thing ever from the MCU? Hardly; but it’s fun, enjoyable, has its own logic and its own goofy humor. She-Hulk is probably the only superhero we’ve seen screaming into a pillow, and it’s touches like that which make me enjoy it all the more.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

New episode. Light, breezy, probably the most enjoyable yet. Also tied in some of the previous encounters and answered a couple of questions.

Spoiler
    Show
    In particular, whether the absurdly buffed pediatric oncologist would have dated Jen as Jen—which he outright said he wouldn’t have. Yeah, shallow jerk. And he was her star witness.

All things Titania-related were hilarious, including her takeover of the show’s logo and the “Titaniacs.” I do have to wonder how Titania was able to organize a product show so quickly, but maybe the Titaniacs have connections.

The superhero designer was a bit of a cliché, and had nothing on Edna, but the real fun was the oddball things he had in the background, including (apparently) a super-suit for someone with a beer gut. And of course, the obligatory Daredevil reference.

Is this the best thing ever from the MCU? Hardly; but it’s fun, enjoyable, has its own logic and its own goofy humor. She-Hulk is probably the only superhero we’ve seen screaming into a pillow, and it’s touches like that which make me enjoy it all the more.
    Last three episodes feels like the show has found its footing. It's been enjoyable to watch and funny.

I especially enjoyed the knock-off Avengers merch; that is absolutely something that would exist in that world. Recently, I went to Disneyland where you can buy a Moljnir or Infinity Gauntlet that lights up and also doubles as a drink holder.

Spoiler
    Show

The designer could have been better, felt like they hewed a little too close to Edna, without making him standout more.
    Last edited by Joran; 2022-09-16 at 02:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

"last three episodes" happens to coincide to any post-setup work the series had to do. Since episode 3, She-Hulk has started her episodes already employed and ready to take on/participate in a case, and the show's plot beats revolved around that specific structure.

And... Well, when you have your plot structure as a procedural already hammered out, things get easier to play with and have silly fun.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Really enjoyed this episode, wasn't a massive fan of the final 'twist,' but otherwise, easily the best episode of the season so far. Though, probably not a good sign when the best episode of your legal dramedy is the one with no legal action in it...

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Very true.

On the other hand, the story addressed stuff Jennifer clearly had hanging over her psyche for a while, and i am happy we are actually addressing them.

And good for the abomination. He looks genuinely happy

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

So, wedding episode. Light, fluffy, setup for this week.

This week’s episode: hilarious and thoroughly fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    They had me at Miss Piggy. Everything about the fling was breezy, silly and on-point.

The pathetic co-dependent D-list villains were a hoot, although I was halfway expecting them to gang up on Jen as soon as she de-hulked down to Just-Jen size. Since they didn't, I’m presuming that they’ll come to her rescue during the dramatic, action-filled season finale.

As for Wedding Guy (Josh, was it?) I was halfway expecting that he’d been kidnapped by the Hulk Haters. His being one is a little more direct, but it does mean he’s the World’s Best ActorTM for faking his being The Perfect GuyTM.

Even though the story is featherweight and the tone's as fluffy as Princess Silky-Feathers, there’s some real social commentary here, about the obsession with phones and how they distort our expectations and perspective. It may not be original commentary, but it’s still on-point and worthwhile.

Really enjoying this for what it is.

20. - Top - End - #260

They were more like E-List Villains (I didn't think they'd get more obscure than Mr. Immortal and the Wrecking Crew but boy howdy they managed it) but otherwise I agree, this is a fun show.

There's also been a lot of teasing for
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Leader (who is technically part of the MCU) and it makes me wonder/worry about what plans they have for her blood.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

They were more like E-List Villains (I didn't think they'd get more obscure than Mr. Immortal and the Wrecking Crew but boy howdy they managed it) but otherwise I agree, this is a fun show.

There's also been a lot of teasing for
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Leader (who is technically part of the MCU) and it makes me wonder/worry about what plans they have for her blood.
    I'll grant you Mr. Immortal, but Wrecking Crew isn't THAT obscure. At least when I was regularly reading comics they were regular opponents of Avengers, Thor, and Spiderman.

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by tomandtish
    I'll grant you Mr. Immortal, but Wrecking Crew isn't THAT obscure.
    I’d never heard of any of them, but it’s been a long while since I’ve read any comics.

A few years ago I briefly browsed a few titles in a comics store, but they were incomprehensible and more than a little full of themselves, so I didn’t feel much inclination to look further. Pretty much all these characters are completely new to me.

Speaking of Mr. Immortal...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...I liked his segments, because even though he's obscure and played for laughs, we get a compact psychological portrait of someone using superpowers as a way to avoid responsibility and commitment.

Again, not being current with comics, I don't know if that's been done on a broader scale; but I liked how it was managed here.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

The Wrecking Crew have been around for years and are one of the recurring foes of Thor, though they have fought just about every superhero at some point.

Most notably, they participated in the nearly fatal beating of Hercules when Avengers Mansion was taken over by the Masters of Evil.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2022-10-06 at 02:29 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

New episode, new degree of excellence. Silly shenanigans, thoroughly hilarious—with a bit of a detour at the end.

Spoiler: The Long-Awaited Appearance
    Show
    So, we finally got Daredevil, and they nailed the banter. He came across as genuinely likable, and while they certainly fast-forwarded the relationship, watching Daredevil do the walk of shame was hilarious.

Also, I have zero legal expertise, but the back-and-forth between Matt and Jen in the courtroom sounded like a real exchange with actual grounding in law, which isn’t something I’ve really felt before. Overall the episode felt sharper, tighter, more grounded and more energized than anything we’ve seen so far.

As for the ending—a lot going on, including some not-entirely-subtle commentary on the “best female” aspect of the annual award. More specific to Jen, we finally get some real hulk rage from her—and in the process call into question some of the assumptions about how well she’s really able to handle her anger.

Did anyone happen to see the affiliation of the cops who cornered her at the end? We’ve already seen DoDC in the background in this series, so I’m guessing they’re DoDC “superhero containment” personnel, or something along those lines. But the real question is, are they DoDC henchmen or goons?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    The Wrecking Crew have been around for years and are one of the recurring foes of Thor, though they have fought just about every superhero at some point.

Most notably, they participated in the nearly fatal beating of Hercules when Avengers Mansion was taken over by the Masters of Evil.
    Back during the original Secret Wars (in the 80s) they beat She-Hulk almost to death as well (Titania participated also).

New episode, new degree of excellence. Silly shenanigans, thoroughly hilarious—with a bit of a detour at the end.

Spoiler: The Long-Awaited Appearance
    Show
    So, we finally got Daredevil, and they nailed the banter. He came across as genuinely likable, and while they certainly fast-forwarded the relationship, watching Daredevil do the walk of shame was hilarious.

Also, I have zero legal expertise, but the back-and-forth between Matt and Jen in the courtroom sounded like a real exchange with actual grounding in law, which isn’t something I’ve really felt before. Overall the episode felt sharper, tighter, more grounded and more energized than anything we’ve seen so far.

As for the ending—a lot going on, including some not-entirely-subtle commentary on the “best female” aspect of the annual award. More specific to Jen, we finally get some real hulk rage from her—and in the process call into question some of the assumptions about how well she’s really able to handle her anger.

Did anyone happen to see the affiliation of the cops who cornered her at the end? We’ve already seen DoDC in the background in this series, so I’m guessing they’re DoDC “superhero containment” personnel, or something along those lines. But the real question is, are they DoDC henchmen or goons?
    I do have to say though....

Spoiler
    Show
    Daredevil's new costume looks horribly bad

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I do have to say though....

Spoiler
    Show
    Daredevil's new costume looks horribly bad
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even for a homage to his first outfit that was abandoned for good reason?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even for a homage to his first outfit that was abandoned for good reason?
    Can i have an exaplanation on this "good reason"?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

I have zero attachment to Daredevil or any of his costumes, so I’m neutral on the current version.

However…

Spoiler: Condiments
    Show
    …Jen’s comment about the ketchup-and-mustard color scheme was spot on.

Spoiler: Getting Theatrical
    Show
    Did anyone notice the billboard for Rogers: The Musical?

Evidently it finished its New York run and headed to L.A.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Can i have an exaplanation on this "good reason"?
    Well, here are the images.
    Spoiler: Spoilered for size and plot
    Show

Basically, all red was chosen because of how garish it is.

Other than prequels and Mark Waid's homages, that yellow suit is not popular.
    Last edited by t209; 2022-10-09 at 01:54 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing Daredevil again was great. Looking forward to him getting his own show again.

The ending was some nice commentary on revenge porn, an issue many women have to deal with.

Oh, and boy did Damage Control get there fast. They were waiting with guns aimed as she came outside, all of five seconds after her rage. Did Intelligencia tip them off or something?