New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

furious Themberchaud is a total Empires of blood rip off!

The new D&D movie trailer has a bunch of people talking about Themberchaud, the festively plump red dragon from the 5e “Out of the Abyss” book, which came out in 2015. No one seems to notice that it was a TOTAL Empires of Blood rip off, which came out in 2010. What the hell!?! That’s copy right infringement, no? Rich gotta drop a big old law suet chonkier than her royal widnesses beautiful backside on WotC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Themberchaud is a total Empires of blood rip off!

Quote Originally Posted by Exo357 View Post
    The new D&D movie trailer has a bunch of people talking about Themberchaud, the festively plump red dragon from the 5e “Out of the Abyss” book, which came out in 2015. No one seems to notice that it was a TOTAL Empires of Blood rip off, which came out in 2010. What the hell!?! That’s copy right infringement, no? Rich gotta drop a big old law suet chonkier than her royal widnesses beautiful backside on WotC
    I don't think you can really trademark "fat red-skinned dragon".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't think you can really trademark "fat red-skinned dragon".
    He wouldn't have to trademark her, he'd need the copyright! Notably different.

That being said, it's not a great copyright claim either unless Themberchaud is a puppet ruler installed by mortal advisors who specifically eats because he thinks that getting bigger will make him more powerful. Especially since Hasbro would be able to point out that the whole notion of how dragons work in this comic is based on their IP in the first place.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    Especially since Hasbro would be able to point out that the whole notion of how dragons work in this comic is based on their IP in the first place.
    I second this motion.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-07-24 at 02:52 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I second this motion.
    I'm sorely tempted to sig this.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

There is no such thing as an original thought.

Imagine how few things you could write if you couldn't have characters that vaguely resemble characters from other pieces of media. I mean, there are so many characters in Order of the Stick alone, let alone every other webcomic and game and movie and book... the existence of another fat red dragon is not even approaching a copyright infringement issue.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Fat dragons precede the both, just look at DeviantArt.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Fat dragons precede the both, just look at DeviantArt.
    Fat dragons precede the both, and fat babies have no pride.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That being said, it's not a great copyright claim either unless Themberchaud is a puppet ruler installed by mortal advisors who specifically eats because he thinks that getting bigger will make him more powerful. Especially since Hasbro would be able to point out that the whole notion of how dragons work in this comic is based on their IP in the first place.
    Man the Spooooky Wizard who lives by the Coast should hire you instead of Mr. Jones and Mr. Phil Rodriguez.
    I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Meh, (civil law vs common law) + (language barrier) + (minimal law schooling) = imprecise wording to be expected.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorely tempted to sig this.
    With my blessing, by all means do so.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Meh, (civil law vs common law) + (language barrier) + (minimal law schooling) = imprecise wording to be expected.
    Oh, please forgive me if that came across as if it were any sort of slight or insult; regardless of any language barrier, the terms are frequently (and incorrectly) used interchangeably by lots of people as if they were analogous concepts. My intent was to educate, not dismiss or insult, always.

To compress a whole lot of stuff into a rather inaccurate but still broadly applicable summary, trademark refers to names, terms, and logos that are used to market a product (i.e., a mark of your trade) and has nothing inherently to do with the content of those works. Copyright, meanwhile, refers to the ideas within those works and the concepts contained thereupon. You'll note that The Order of the Stick is trademarked, for example, but that trademark doesn't apply to the contents of the strip, just to the logo and the name itself within this particular sphere. If someone made another comic called The League of the Branch, that wouldn't infringe on trademark, but if it starred a dark-skinned bald human warrior in blue armor with a green-hilted sword named Ray Gronhilt... well, that's a copyright case right there.

It's all very complicated which is why lawyers charge a great deal of money to successfully pursue these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Man the Spooooky Wizard who lives by the Coast should hire you instead of Mr. Jones and Mr. Phil Rodriguez.
    This would be a bad idea as I have not passed the bar and am not authorized to practice law anywhere, nor have I paid the Giant nearly enough money to be entitled to even a tiny cameo in his comic. Understanding the broad strokes of law due to research because I love learning about things does not qualify me to practice it in a professional setting.