New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Is there any way to make a monk not suck?

What I mean is that is there any race/class/feat that prevent a monk from sucking?

I've been thinking about it myself: would Half-dragon paragon 3 / Monk X work? I think the breath weapon could make up for something, but is it worth taking 3 paragon levels?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Is there any way to make a monk not suck?

FINALLY! A NEW MONK DEBATE THREAD! FEED THE BEAST! FEED IT!

That aside, yes, there's a way. Add 1 level of psion, get lots of Knowledge (the planes), be a Kobold, and let it rip.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

not without houseruling some stuff, frankly.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Sure. Don't play with powergamers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Half dragon is definitely not the way to go when improving a monk, especially considering the general debate as to whether the half dragon is even worth the level adjustment.

The best build for a decent unarmed combatant is monk 1/Swordsage 19. Otherwise you are shooting, er...punching yourself in the foot, whatever.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I like Decisive Strike as a class sub.

If you wanna burn the feats, Improved Critical + Roundabout Kick can (sometimes) be cool. I know there is some feat that lets you add some ridiculous amount of acid damge, all the monks in my group were using it, but I forget what its called.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. Play a Swordsage, and add some fluff to make it seem more monkish.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm sorry, that I'm still a bit on the newbie side.

*sigh*

Just... Just forget about it. Pretend that I didn't ask.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Fist of Zuoken/Psionic Fist (depending on if you're looking at the SRD or at the XPH) makes it slightly more palatable. Going Monk/Fist of Zuoken/Illithid Slayer also has a lot of merit, though you lose out on a lot of what makes you a "monk."

Alternatively, mixing in some of those class-level stacking feats makes it more feasible too. Personally, I've been eyeballing a Lawful Good Paladin/Ninja/Monk with Ascetic Knight (CAdv, stacks Paladin and Monk levels for smites and unarmed strike progression), Ascetic Stalker (CScn, stacks Ninja and Monk levels for Ki Pool and Unarmed Strike), and Serenity (Dragon, I think, makes your Cha-based Paladin abilities Wis-based). It'd certainly be interesting to try out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

the way to make a monk not suck? don't play one. or don't play with people who optimize their characters.

11. - Top - End - #11

Nah, we have to thank you. We were bored and didn't have much to do, and you've given us a week or more of debating. How could we forget that?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

No but I have a way to get Gargantuan sized Unarmed Damage.

Goliath (large size for fists) + Permanent Enlarge Person (To get huge sized damage) + Improved Natural Attack (Gargantuan sized damage).

Now if you're playing an Unarmed Swordsage then get the the Stone Dragon Stance that makes you do damage at 1 sive larger so you do Fist damage at Collosal Size.

Then get Superior Unarmed Strike and a Monks Belt. At level 9 you will do damage as a Level 18 Collosal Size Monk.
    Now what's not to like about that?
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

13. - Top - End - #13

Powerful build doesn't work that way. YOU aren't a size cathegory larger, so your fists aren't. Unless this is one of those "RAW starts being so stupid it's not funny" situation.

It's also better to you a psionic Expansion, which gets you to huge, and use a psionic Permanence to be permanently huge sized. Collossal+ damage, here we come!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, well, since we're already in the fray, can monks use gauntlets (say, with spikes) to increase their damage? Or does it not count as "unarmed" anymore?

15. - Top - End - #15

Yes, they can...but they're not proficient with it. They're nerfed on purpose, I say!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Powerful build doesn't work that way. YOU aren't a size cathegory larger, so your fists aren't. Unless this is one of those "RAW starts being so stupid it's not funny" situation.

It's also better to you a psionic Expansion, which gets you to huge, and use a psionic Permanence to be permanently huge sized. Collossal+ damage, here we come!
    Ogre then.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

17. - Top - End - #17

GreataxeFighterGuy

Monks suck at combat compared to other combat classes, but they have a lot of positives.

-They have ridiculous listen and spot scores, because those are class skills and monks usually have very high wisdom scores.

-They're great at intercepting fleeing enemies, with their ridiculous land speed.

-They have high saves, making them harder to take down with Save or Die spells.

-They're the best to have in a prison-escape situation.

-Trip and stunning fist can be very useful.

-With high tumble scores, they can move to where they need to be quickly.

Monks are nice as long as they're not the primary melee combatant. However, they do have a lot of shortcomings against a lot of things. But so does everyone else.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I just had the funniest mental image of a dragon with boxing gloves.

Dragons with monk levels.... >.<

19. - Top - End - #19

And they can diplocheese. Never forget their greatest feature!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

can monks use gauntlets (say, with spikes) to increase their damage? Or does it not count as "unarmed" anymore
    if you spend a feat on simple weapon proficiency you can use gauntlets, and that goes a long way towards improving your monk.

besides that their is a feat from secrets of sarlona, that allows your monk levels to stack with levels in a psionic class, for the purpose of determening unarmede damage and flurry (it might do more, dont have the book with me atm)
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier
    or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    Unarmed strike damage is modified by size, and is altered by powerful build according to the bolded part above.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craig1f View Post
    -They're great at intercepting fleeing enemies, with their ridiculous land speed.
    In other words, they start to shine when the party has already won the battle. That about sums it up
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

23. - Top - End - #23

Niiiiiiiiiice. This means:

Large fists by default + 1 increment from imp. nat. attack + 2 from uncarnate augmented expansion + stone dragons stance = colossal+ right there. Any way to get to Colossal++ or higher?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

And they can diplocheese. Never forget their greatest feature!
    In which they are outclassed by the Aristocrat. Not entirely unlike many other fields of expertise, such as, say, combat.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ANOTHER monk thread? Aw hell, here we go again. I still stand by the fact that the monk does not suck. However, he is commonly viewed this way because his abilities are so spread out that he doesn't really fill any common role. Among the things he has going for him are fantastic saves, incredible movement, high AC (without armor too!), very few things he neds to buy, flurry of blows (I'll talk about that in a minute), and a bunch of cool fluff stuff like immunity to poison. However, he is deemed useless by many because he doesn't do other stuff as well as other characters. He can fight, but not as well as a fighter. He has skills, but not as many as a rogue. The problem with the monk is that he's unspecialized, but as such, can make a decent 5th man if you already have the other roles filled (he'd act as a Plan B).

If you want a quick homebrew fix, make flurry of blows a standard action. Right there, he's instantly awesome. Maybe also full BAB if you really want to. Then just take spring attack and voila! You've got a combat role: hit and run! Combined with mobility, dodge, a monk's high movement and ranks in tumble, he'll get around any battlefield pummeling the crap out of anyone he passes.

On another note: I'm currently playing a monk/drunken master and it works great. Since the drunken master adds extra damage onto his unarmed damage (something the monk has plenty of) I'm quickly becoming a damage-dealing monstrosity (not on the level of a wizard, but at least a fighter). Not to mention all of the cool improvised weapon stuff (10-foot reach weapon ladders? Yes please!)
    Anyone who said anything is foolproof obviously underestimated the resourcefulness of complete idiots.

Spoiler
    Show

OFFICIAL DEFENDER OF MONKS, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL!

Current characters:
    -Wild Elf Warlock
    -Orc Dragon Shaman

Shameless Plug! Help us grow!

26. - Top - End - #26

Not filling any common role EQUALS sucking, for most.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Greater Mighty Wallop. +1 Size Category per 4 levels of a bludgeoning weapon.

LA+1/Monk 1/Wizard 3/Psion 3/Cerebremancer 10/Full Casting PRC 2.

Powerful Build: Large
    Improved Natural Attack: Huge
    Expansion: Gargantuan, Colossal
    Stone Dragon Stance: Dimunative+
    Greater Mighty Wallop: Tiny+, Small+, and Medium+

EDIT: Also - Making Monks Not Suck.

EDIT#2: Oops, forgot to note that you should take Expanded Knowledge(Expansion) for your Psion.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-11-28 at 12:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

awesome not-sucking monk builds

Monk1/Wizard12/Archmage5/Wizard2

Monk1/Cleric5/RSoP10/Cleric4

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    Well, I'm sorry, that I'm still a bit on the newbie side.
    *sigh*
    Just... Just forget about it. Pretend that I didn't ask.
    Sorry for the rude responses ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Alternatively, mixing in some of those class-level stacking feats makes it more feasible too. Personally, I've been eyeballing a Lawful Good Paladin/Ninja/Monk with Ascetic Knight (CAdv, stacks Paladin and Monk levels for smites and unarmed strike progression), Ascetic Stalker (CScn, stacks Ninja and Monk levels for Ki Pool and Unarmed Strike), and Serenity (Dragon, I think, makes your Cha-based Paladin abilities Wis-based). It'd certainly be interesting to try out.
    I like this!

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    Goliath (large size for fists) + Permanent Enlarge Person (To get huge sized damage) + Improved Natural Attack (Gargantuan sized damage).
    Enlarge Person doesn't work on Goliaths. Nor Ogres.

Yes, they can...but they're not proficient with it. They're nerfed on purpose, I say!
    Technically, they're no more proficient with unarmed strikes than with gauntlets. Personally, since this needs to be houseruled anyway, I don't like the image of Monks wearing gauntlets, so I'd prefer to allow them to "enchant" their fists via magic bracers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    You know, I just had the funniest mental image of a dragon with boxing gloves.

Dragons with monk levels.... >.<
    He'd have to be pretty high level before his Monk unarmed attacks would do more damage than his normal claw/bite/tail/wing natural attacks. Could be an interesting monster concept, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Actually, it does.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

Unarmed strike damage is modified by size, and is altered by powerful build according to the bolded part above.
    Sorry, but that's a ridiculous interpretation of Powerful Build's text. The subject of unarmed strike damage is totally out of line with the examples given, like grapple/trip/bull rush modifiers. Besides, the term "modifier" is defined a little more precisely than that:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Modifiers

A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus, and a negative modifier is a penalty.
    I don't think the amount and kind of dice that are rolled for an unarmed attack qualifies. Powerful Build doesn't improve unarmed strike damage (although it would make sense as a houserule ... but Goliaths really don't need the help).

Quote Originally Posted by Snadgeros View Post
    If you want a quick homebrew fix, make flurry of blows a standard action. Right there, he's instantly awesome. Maybe also full BAB if you really want to.
    I don't agree with much of what Snadgeros said, at least not in a campaign where people optimize more. (It could all be very true in his campaign.) But these are indeed two easy fixes that go a long way toward making the Monk much more powerful. Although personally I find the Full BAB Fix very unaesthetic, as it turns the Monk into something he's not, in my book. But I wholeheartedly recommend the Flurry fix.

Not filling any common role EQUALS sucking, for most.
    True ... unless your party finds creative ways to work together and to work around the lack of certain roles in itself.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dode View Post
    Monk1/Wizard12/Archmage5/Wizard2
    Try.. Wizard 5/Incantatrix 8/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 with a Monk's Belt and Cardemine Monk. That makes a Monk that doesn't suck.