A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Golden Finger Brigade-- you are destiny! (PF 1e)

Definitely interested. Thinking about a Fey Sorcerer focusing on enchantment. Basically, a way to manipulate others to be a goad or a road grader for the BDH.

I'll have to consider my cheat.
    It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cassus View Post
    He can, but both will be weaker than if it's only one or the other.
    Can you elaborate on the creatures he can make on each option? Does both options include animal and humanoids?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mmm... That depends on where everything else ends up. The puppets would definitely be humanoid. Free-willed creatures probably not, or at least not for a decent number of levels.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

APPLICATION

Who are you? Gutzon Borglum, the librarian

Why did you join the Brigade when they invited you? Gutzon Borglum comes from a line of librarians who occasionally have worked with the Brigade. It was only natural for him to accept the call.

What ability did you ask for? Gestalt Bard (Chronicler of Worlds) with Alchemist (Mindchemist)

Why did you ask for that ability? Bard gives me an official caster level and shortbow proficiency, as well as Bardic Knowledge and proficiency in all knowledge skills, which is useful for a librarian. Alchemist gives me cognatogen, brew potion, a few formula to supplement my bard spell list, and allows me to add my INT to INT-based skill checks twice instead of just once.

What (mechanically) do you do? This character is all about leaving potions in the right place at the right time, identifying items to leave notes and clues for the hero, and crafting wonderous items to leave as treasure.

What (personality-wise) do you do? As a collector of secret lore and amazing stories, my character is a bookish academic who always knows just what to say to move the plot forwards.

How frequently can you consistently post? I'll post at least 4 times per week. I'll probably take Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off, but if I miss a day during the week, I'll catch up and post on the weekends.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Application
    Show
    Who are you?
    Solomon, The Muscle Mage.

Why did you join the Brigade when they invited you?
    He wants to embark on an adventure and gain his ability. He also wants to have his own story whenever he 'retires.'

What ability did you ask for?
    Gestalt Wizard with Voltatic, with no casting penalties on maneuvers. (or the Spark of Inspiration feat, without the usual casting penalties. Maybe with full BAB.)

Why did you ask for that ability?
    He is the latest child in a long line of mighty warriors, and while he has the physique for it his talents were the polar opposite of it, with magic being the calling he never wanted. So he wants some time to enjoy having talents like his ancestors.

What (mechanically) do you do?
    Buff, cast illusions, probably provide some knowledge, and try to fight on the front as he can. Once he has good enough magic, probably make extensive uses of disguises to help.

What (personality-wise) do you do?
    Reluctantly casts magic as he sees fit and tries to engage in melee as he can.

How frequently can you consistently post?
    1/day or at least 1/every other day.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-08-07 at 08:09 PM.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright-- Two hours from the time on this post (give or take ten minutes), I'll be posting the Brigade list. Right now, these are the applications I have--
    AvatarVecna-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...7&postcount=39

niw18-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=50

Yas392-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=51

Dakrsidder-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...3&postcount=52

Thunder999-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...4&postcount=57

Zhentarim-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...8&postcount=64

QuadraticGish-- https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...0&postcount=65

If I missed anyone or anyone else wants to put their name in the hat, now's the time to post about it!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mmm... That depends on where everything else ends up. The puppets would definitely be humanoid. Free-willed creatures probably not, or at least not for a decent number of levels.
    The larger option is humanoid? I thought they are more varied? If the "puppet" version allows the creation of humanoid, animals and others of smaller size, I will default to that one. Otherwise, it is the other.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    The larger option is humanoid? I thought they are more varied? If the "puppet" version allows the creation of humanoid, animals and others of smaller size, I will default to that one. Otherwise, it is the other.
    The "puppet" version would allow for making most shapes of creatures. The "free will" option would make (At least for a while, probably something scaling relative to CR) small and harmless creatures with intelligence. The "middle of the road" would be weaker versions of both.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The "puppet" version would allow for making most shapes of creatures. The "free will" option would make (At least for a while, probably something scaling relative to CR) small and harmless creatures with intelligence. The "middle of the road" would be weaker versions of both.
    Will go with puppet version then.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Interest check: Golden Finger Brigade-- you are destiny! (PF 1e, low to high-leve

I definitely spent too much time overthinking things I think, particularly given part of the premise is we are meant to be relatively unremarkable at first, unless I've mixed something up with another game I looked at. Cheats were hard too, so in the end I just decided do something simple.

Spoiler: Application
    Show

Welcome! If you're looking to join the Golden Finger Brigade, you'll need to tell me the following. Additions are fine; subtractions are not.

Who are you?
    Kyras, a relatively young half-elf. He made a living on the streets of various towns and cities off a combination of personal abilities and some rudimentary con acts.

Why did you join the Brigade when they invited you?
    While Kyras had some potential in his path, he did understand it was one likely doomed to end up poor, imprisoned, or both. A chance to actually put his abilities to use, gain more, and avoid the potential downfalls of his previous path? And all he had to do was help set up some poor sod for a life of fame? It was easy enough to win him over.

What ability did you ask for?
    Monk gestalt, preferably Cha monk but that matter less, just makes some abilities a bit less unusable.

Why did you ask for that ability?
    While Kyras is naturally sneaky, and doesn't have the temperament for learning magic truly a little bit of subtly and just the slightest touch of power is valuable to him.

What (mechanically) do you do?
    Leaning more towards subtlety, disguise, and potential assassination without the need for spells. Magic is detectable, but both monk (with the right archetype) and vigilante offer plenty of options for creating a competent non-caster. Sometimes a small piece of metal in the right place is far more useful than elaborate magic.

What (personality-wise) do you do?
    Kyras is somewhat shrewd and cautious, he preferred to stay out of the limelight for anymore than required even before this, and with this it would have only increased. He can be more jovial if you can get him used to you, but if given the chance he'll happily sit back and let someone else steal the show. Maybe even help them do it.

How frequently can you consistently post?
    At least a few times a week, I'm very rarely busy for an entire day, although obviously schedules can change.

There though, a quick writeup. A non-caster relying off more traditional mundane skills for the most part, although a special ability of monk stuff means if this lasts to higher levels it could eventually start to push that into some supernatural capabilities. It was tricky to decide what to write for some of it, just kinda classic orphaned urchin rogue-y type for the most part.

Picking a cheat was hard, so went with something fairly simple, just some more non-caster abilities to improve the goal of being more of a traditional rogue than a spellslinger cheating their way into success. It would definitely be pushing vigilante in a way it was not designed as much for I think, having two identities designed to be subtle in their own ways.

I also considered a "be the magical pet mascot" build but that seemed too outlandish, even if something about temporary gift from the gods could probably let you write yourself out of the story relatively easily and kitsune would let you get the small animal form easily, or you could just use a cheat for it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Magical pet mascot" is definitely different from everyone else, but this is an outlandish game on a number of levels. What did you have in mind, or why'd you discard that idea?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright! The hour has struck. Thank you all for your interest in the game and your ideas. I'll keep my list of applicants in case there's a need for alternates, and of course feel free to follow the threads.

The four players who will form the Golden Finger Brigade:

AvatarVecna-- Reginald Ventnorwall
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...7&postcount=39

Yas392-- Nueva Dawnstar
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=51

Dakrsidder-- Dude who does odd jobs
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...3&postcount=52

Zhentarim-- Gutzon Borglum
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...8&postcount=64

Come on over to the OOC thread!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground

"Magical pet mascot" is definitely different from everyone else, but this is an outlandish game on a number of levels. What did you have in mind, or why'd you discard that idea?
    It felt far too easy to wind up trapped defeating the point, you'd be constantly forced into finding ways to let you be a central character without being a character that sticks around. Mechanically it's easy, just change my application to say "kitsune" instead of "half-elf" and you can even pull it off sometimes if it matters, but it still runs into the previous complication.

Hence my actual post was just taking the line of character that doesn't get by by being a pile of magic, which could push out if required but mostly preferred a simpler approach. The real problem with it was balancing vigilante vs monk vs rogue.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dammit and I had my sheet done too. Just forgot to upload. Guess Ill put it here do it can be a possible alternate. You guys who got in have fun.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2678383
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Glad to see the game starting! Have fun playing everyone, I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure!