New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Jumpers vs. 40k IC1: Worst. Isekai. Ever.

"Well, now. Isn't that an interesting thing." Edward looks at the maps and stoops to pick one up, if possible. He also reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small vial, which he pops open and drinks in a single swallow. "Yes, I'll help with this." He'll stride forward, using his walking-stick as he does (though it's quite apparent he doesn't need it) and he'll check his whale-oil pistol as he does. "I wasn't really expecting to get into a fight so quickly, but then I also wasn't expecting to meet you lot, either. Hmm. That's interesting. Do any of you feel different since your... arrival? Because I haven't noticed anything." After his first jump, during an ashfall, he didn't cough and thought that was odd. Later, between his first and second jumps, he was approached by a strange man with black eyes, and had a slight pain in his hand upon awakening. On his third trip, he was bound in a wagon and breathing very clean air shortly before a dragon attack, though he was vaguely aware of his Ritual Stone blessing.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "Feel different? Hm. Well I didn't get the opportunity to choose what advantages I'd start with before coming here, nor did I choose to come here. But I feel the same as I did last jump. Though after the magic the gathering jump, I doubt any change in my form would make much difference, at least aesthetically. I have at least two kinds of shapeshifting available to me maybe three, so any change I can alter as I want though I'd imagine something was done to make sure we're at least compatible with this universe's rules, or none of this would work."
    Iota is just like looking at you silently wondering: What are you all even talking about?
    "What...what are you..."
    "Questions til after the idiot warmonger cult is dealt with right? Right. Until then, just think of me as a very special kind of psyker, Iota."

Edward and Ezekiel will also notice that the vertical maps detail this long shaft going through the center of the hive all the way from the bottom to the top called a "heat sink", seems to provide geothermal energy to this entire mountain-sized city. Just to keep in mind.

Anyways, if your all on your way, you will soon find this scene of two gangs....well I say gangs, but thats not really describing it accurately. To describe it more accurately, its like there are two horde-like tribes of hundreds of people gathered in the street, each of them wearing caste off scraps of metal as armor, each one having crude weapons and firearms and freaky haircuts and mutants in their ranks and tattoos and the like. But while one of them seems....normal for this underhive as normal as can be, the other.....has a distinct red theme to it. Like, there is a consistent theme where their clothes are spattered in blood, they have the symbol of khorne consistently either tattooed or intentionally scarred into their skin, headresses fashioned into the shape of a dog with bloodstained teeth on their head, human skulls with dried blood as shoulder pads and hanging from their belts. This gang is more.....animated. Angry. Impatient. There is a crimson glint in their eyes, their muscles are more well-defined, they all seem to hold axes and swords also stained with blood never wiped off in their hands, gripping them as if their live depends on it, their behavior, their breathing almost animalistic, feral as they watch the duel between what seems to be two gang boss leaders while they chant:
    "Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood! Blood!"
    The gang bosses are dueling with swords- and the Khornate boss has a chainsword whirring with blood and death upon it, while the other one only has what looks like a regular one. The duel doesn't last long as the Khorne boss parries the blade away and stabs the chainsword through the other gang bosses gut spilling the crimson fluid of life everywhere upon the ground. As it leaks out, the khornate boss raises his chainsword in victory while saying
    "With honor, I have killed your leader! The strongest has won! With this offering to Khorne, you follow me now! Together, we shall unite and with the strength of rage and fury granted by the god of blood, shall we one day go forth to slaughter the surface, the upper hives, to kill all our oppressors for the injustices done upon us! Too long have we waited for their scraps like obedient dogs, for under Khorne we hunt as wolves in our freedom! And when the blood of the nobility is spilled upon the ground, Khorne shall look upon us and smile, for we will have become strong and vanquished our enemy with our fury! Revolution is paid for in blood, and we shall offer Khorne a bounty to destroy our chains! Come, join me in freedom!"
    The crowd of his own gang does not cheer. There is a pause. The speech didn't matter to them. He sighed. There was only certain words that mattered to them. Guess he had to say it.
    "Blood For the Blood God!"
    and his whole crowd erupts into cheers and roars, going crazy at the speaking of those simple words, that one prayer. Why did he bother saying anything else?
    "No!" says one of the normal gang members on the other side "Why should we follow you? The boss was strong but he also got our respect. He knew what we needed and how we could survive. He looked out for us. You just want us as fodder for fighting the PDF."
    The Khorne boss turns back to him, his eyes filled with anger at this show of defiance.
    "Very well. Looks like we found another offering to Khorne, boys!"
    It seemed another gang member was going to join his leader on the ground suddenly a voice rang out
    "Excuse me, khorne boss leader guy? I want to duel you."
    He turns to see Ensara walking in, unconcerned by all this, holding up her hand.
    "What!?"
    "You heard me, I want to duel you."
    the khorne boss looks at her with doubt
    "With such....puny muscles, such a slender form? Where is your weapon?"
    "Oh I don't need one." She has a lot of weapons actually, but she doesn't technically need them.
    Why?"
    "To assess you and these warriors of Khorne. You follow a god of war yes? So I'd hope you'd be good at fighting."
    "Hmph. Whatever. It matters not where the blood flows. Let us duel then."
    They position themselves across from each other, the gangs forming a rough circle around their duel. The Khorne boss revving his chainsword while Ensara activates her Eyes of Destiny, her green irises turn into blue ones with intricate designs on it reminiscent of the sharingan, falling into a defensive stance. The Eyes of Destiny could read the foes movements and copy any ki technique, she specifically picked it out so she could copy as many as possible. These eyes would tell her if there was anything to these Khornate cultists worth learning.
    There is a pause- then the duel began, by some unseen signal the khorne boss charges at Ensara, swinging his chainsword.....and she dodges it easily, light on her feet as a ballerina, but now she frowns.
    "Is that it?" she asks
    The khorne boss with sudden fury begins wildly swinging at her but she dodges again and again, weaving between and around each swing...
    "Is this all?"
    his wild slashes being contrasted by her movements almost seemingly like an artistic dance narrowly evading each strike like water flowing around the blade. No matter how much fury he summons, he can't hit her.
    "Is this the power that you speak so highly of?"
    She sidesteps an overhead swing.
    "Pathetic."
    Enraged he brings the blade to strike at her but this time she catches the chainsword, blocking it with her bare hand- yet....despite the blades spinning, her skin was not cut. Her skin was seemingly hard as steel, enduring the chainsaw blades grinding at her without harm.
    "Where is the technique? The discipline? The art? I didn't expect you to beat me but come on at least some....quality. Some skill. The Unconquered Sun granted his warriors with martial excellence in both blade and command beyond all others. Mars, the Maiden of Battles granted those she favored with strategical foresight. From what I see, the power your god, Khorne grants.....is nothing but sound and fury. blood, rage and muscles. Your movements are sloppy and clumsy. There is no control, no restraint, no creativity or improvement. Just slaughter without end. Your like those warriors who only live for the joy of combat....except there is no joy or skill- just rage. How disappointing."
    No matter how hard he tugs, the khorne boss can't pull the blade free.
    "One of you, kill her!"
    A khorne cultist leaps out screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" to try and kill her with an axe, but she kills the assailant with an offhand lightning bolt.
    "Cowardly psyker! You tricked me! Your just using sorcery to win! Thats CHEATING! This is why Khorne scorns your kind!"
    "Ahahahaha. Your god is even more pathetic than I thought: No technique, spurns the use of magic seeing it as unfair, gives you nothing but berserk fury....your not warriors. Your just butcherers, berserkers and madmen, everything a martial artist like me is against. And you don't even enjoy any of it, you just rage for the sake of rage, and spill blood for the sake of blood. What a pointless existence. You don't deserve this sword."
    She yanks the chainsword out of his grip, flipping it the air to grab its handle, beheads the boss then flicks all the blood off like a katana, somehow leaving the chainsword spotless and pristine before sending it off to Elsewhere. She falls into another defensive stance, ready to fight.
    "Sigh. Kill them however you like, guys. There are no skilled warriors here."
    The Khorne gang, enraged their leaders death roar and yell as they charge forward, waving their weapons for the chance to spill more blood.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-08-18 at 11:35 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"No, I don't feel any different. My jumpkit made some minute adjustments since I'm on a different planet, but other than that, nothing." Ezekiel says as he gathers up the rest of the maps and puts them in a pocket of his labcoat, before moving to follow the rest of the group.

To Ezekiel, the two gangs in front of them are highly reminiscent of an assortment of Bandits and Psychos. The crude weapons, the crazy hair, the mutants, heck, they even sound as stupid and crazy as the Borderlands hordes.

While Ensara is fighting the boss, Ezekiel leans over and whispers to Iota-Phi. "I can't be the only one who thinks she loves the sound of her own voice a little too much, can I?"

Ezekiel then calls Edward over. "Hey, Edward! How about you give us a demonstration of your skill in combat? Here, I'll lay down some cover." Ezekiel throws down another A-Wall shield and uses his Smart Pistol to provide some covering fire.
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-08-19 at 02:41 AM.
    We are FREE of
    BEER! As in, we don't have any beer.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, this is... not exactly my skill-set, you understand. I can give it a go, but this isn't the sort of conflict I favour." Regardless, Edward stands and gestures with his left hand, a swarm of rats (or other native vermin of similar size and ability) appears in the centre of the Khornate cult, viciously attacking whoever is closest and devouring the fallen corpses. He'll use the distraction of the rats to shoot his pistol at the cultists, though unlike Ezekiel he has to aim in order to hit- though not very much, as he's loaded the gun with explosive rounds. If any get too close, he'll unleash his Voice in the traditional manner to throw them back, though he'll avoid doing so unless he has to. After that he'll swing his walking-stick out and use it effectively, though he's better at one-on-one combat than when faced by large numbers of foes.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Alexandra's arms erupt in green fire which flies off before condensing into a dozen or so cartoonishly oversized boxing gloves. She makes a show of miming a professional boxer's stance... A very, very good show of it, and giving a few punches while the constructs beat in the faces of cultists while imitating her movements.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Jumper Gang Vs Khorne Culti-Whoops Victory:
    The Khorne Cultists charge at both you and the other gang here. They don't really care about where the blood comes from, they are wielding primarily melee weapons, they concerned with attacking directly in fury. The other gang pulls out their autoguns and begins firing along with you. The results are predictable as gunfire barks out in the underhive corridors, Khorne gangers falling to bullets, Iota' lasgun fire, explosions from edward's bullets, green fire punches that crack bones, its basically a slaughter. Ensara amidst all this finds herself dodging the bullets around her or deflecting them with her palm to hit some Khorne cultists head, quickly leaping back to the rest of the group and taking out any few cultists that broke through the gunfire with her fists alone- which few did. It was over very quickly- they were not well trained or well-equipped. The remaining gang shakes their heads and say
    "Stupider blokes than usual. Wonder why they talked about that Khorne guy. Usually when a cult comes down to kill us all, its those Red Redemptionists talking about the God-Emperor. Oh well. They're dead now. Come on mates, lets secure our supplies, the boss would want us to keep going, roight?"
    Ensara says to Ezekiel
    'Okay, thats true but I'll have you know that I'm connoisseur of others voices as well. Great as I am, I have yet to master singing to the point of moving gods to tears of joy, unlike some people I have heard!"
    There is a murmur of agreement, then they walk off to do that. Ensara turns to Iota-Phi 34.
    "So. Answers."
    "Lets get back to my workshop." he says

Back at Iota's worskhop, he will begin with
    "Explanation: Okay, first of all since you probably don't know. Those were Chaos cultists. We fought the Nurgle and Khorne worshippers, but there are two others. Basically those are Slaanesh, whose followers are all about pleasure, hedonism and torture and Tzeentch, whose followers are all about ambition, planning and sorcery. Its really good we got rid of them."
    "So where is the other two gods?"
    "Speculation: They might not be corrupting people here. The other two tend to target nobles and the learned, and tend to be more subtle. Its not impossible that they could target the underhive mind you, but some are more receptive to certain gods corruption than others."
    "How do they corrupt people?"
    Iota-Phi shrugs at this
    "If anyone knew that exactly, Chaos probably wouldn't be such a problem, but their corruption comes from the Immaterium or the Warp as most call it. Normal citizens wouldn't know its existence, the authorities likes to keep such information secret to the common citizens but basically, the Warp is also the method used to travel at faster than light speeds across the galaxy. Its filled with daemons and....horrors. If people knew that to travel to another planet was to go through a realm of nightmares, they think that no one would be willing to do it, since its very dangerous. I only know because I was once an Imperial Guardsman and thus have traveled off world, seen and experienced things most citizens haven't."
    "FTL travel is also Hell....concerning."
    "Which brings me to you four. Observation: You acted to purge these cultists immediately, yet if your from another planet, its from no planet within the Imperium as none of you have articles of faith from either Ecclesiarchy or the Mechanicum, and have expressed no particular faith. You are powerful and capable of things most citizens of the Imperium are not, yet you display an odd lack of knowledge about the planet your on and how the Imperium works. You speak of things like science and technology in familiar terms which is hard to find outside the Mechanicum or its more ancient records, and use technology no one has. You don't seem to hold any particular allegiance, yet you kill Khorne and Nurgle cultists without any particular signs of excess or ambition. You refer to unfamiliar terms that I have never encountered."
    He looks at all of you.
    "What ARE you? You can't be Inquisition, they have a reputation for ruthlessness. Can't be Chaos they tend to be....more extreme. I guess you could be Xenos in disguise, but why infiltrate an underhive like this? Can't be genestealers, you don't have the bald heads."
    "Can't we just be passing wandering mysterious heroes doing good because its good and right to do so?"
    "What? No. That sounds mythical and ridiculous. No one in this stupid galaxy is that good of a person."
    "I think thats just your opinion, man."
    "Unfortunately I've seen little to prove me wrong. Regardless, while you may fool the average citizen who has never been off planet, I see the truth: Whatever you are, you don't fit into anything. At least, not anything I've known, personally I've been providing information as how you say it, a scientist, but I think its fair you say information about yourselves in return. Please explain what exactly you are, I'd prefer to know how far into heresy I've fallen into."
    "You probably won't believe us."
    "I have fought xenos whose force of belief makes ramshackle gadgets work despite all common sense, cultists who summon demons from another dimension because they party hard enough, and xenos insects that devour worlds and somehow make spaceships out of biomatter, and I have long ago learned to distrust the Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer. I am well past being surprised at how much ridiculously worse a situation can get."
    Ensara looks at the other Jumpers
    "Well? do you want to tell him?"

7. - Top - End - #67

"I've got nothing to hide."

"I'm an artificial Demigod, a human granted immortality and vast physical ability by the blessings of a number of deities. I also possess extensive genetic mutations granting me a large number of biologically based supernatural abilities. I have also been imbued with cosmic power, and I am trained to a degree in sorcery though I tend not to rely on it. I am originally from an entirely differant universe. One without much of the things you are familiar with... Though, I was... vaugly aware of the existence of this universe."

"All of us are like that to some degree, people who... Jump, if you will, across the vast cosmos, gaining knowledge and power for... Reasons vary. But it's rare for us to encounter one another, and none of us planned to come here."

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

"I've... never met another who knows what it's like, and have avoided discussing my prior adventures before this. I don't want to boast. I have, however, been a priest-bureaucrat, a royal advisor, an assassin, the king of a city-state, a survivor, a revolutionary, a scholar, a whaler, a prisoner, a soldier, a thief, and a hero of legend, in about that order. I don't think I'm a demigod, but I have killed dragons, giants, kings, and koloss, although that last was more luck than judgement." As he speaks, Edward leans on his cane and rubs at his chest with his left hand, tapping the head of the spike hidden under his clothing.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"She's not lying. I've also travelled between universes. Though, unlike Alexandra and Ensara, I don't use any magic or divine powers and it will stay that way. I simply studied, researched and equipped myself with the advanced technology I found on my travels."

"I apologise for not telling you sooner, Iota-Phi.
    We are FREE of

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Iota Phi-34: Revelation
    "and I have been Exalted, Planeswalker.....Martial Artist, walked many worlds myself, serving many roles, been a hero to many people as well. I'm sure you'll learn more in time."
    He considers all this, as trying to calculate how possible all this is then says
    "Question: Are these worlds....these...other universe? Materiums? Are they better? Than endless war and constant paranoid vigilance?"
    "Well....none of them are perfect, they all have their own problems, but I'd say most of them are more peaceful and more hopeful."
    "and....is there any way to get out of this world other than as individual....Jumpers like you?"
    "Not that we know of."
    "That....is reassuring. there is no need to apologize, Ezekiel. Somehow knowing that there is someplace out there better, more peaceful, that no matter how insignificant I am, how much I fail, that even if the entire Imperium fell and was swallowed by the darkness....there are places out there that will never know the horrors I've seen and will never feel their touch no matter how hard they try....I can find solace in that.

Maybe I should be more skeptical but....I believe you. Perhaps by the will of the Omnissiah, I am meant to know this. Meant to be enlightened by you. Meant to help. I have faith in this."
    "Really? Faith in us? Just like that?"
    "According to my observations, Ensara....faith is one of the most powerful things in the universe, both figuratively and metaphysically."
    "What do you mean by that?"
    "Just.....don't be surprised when a ministorum priest or Sororitas does something they really shouldn't have been able to."
    "So like what, they have psykers among the priesthood?"
    "No. The Adepta Sororitas are extensively tested for genetic purity to make sure they completely pure human with no mutations or deviations from the pure human form- not even psykers. Yet somehow, their faith allows them to do these things anyways. But this is a tangent. The fact there are other worlds.....that are not the Warp.....this has great implications, and not I'm sure if I have the knowledge to properly figure out what they are. For all my heresy and free-thinking, I have little idea of what the ancients, the humans at the height of Mankind's technological Golden Age of Technology would've thought of this, or what'd they do-they're figures of a long forgotten age we only have myths of. I only know fragments of fragments of their knowledge, and while the Mechanicus possess designs to replicate certain inventions from that age, we don't understand the processes or principles behind such things to properly figure out anything else. If they recorded such information, it is long lost...or somewhere we have yet to find. Still this is a discovery perhaps beyond even that long lost Golden Age- myths say that stars were destroyed by Men of Iron and worlds consumed by grey locusts, but this...but nothing like this. I cannot even begin to think of what this might mean....but I have faith you are who you say you are. You....your minds may be closer to the Age of Technology's mindset than my own. You might see things that I cannot.

And if I come along with you...perhaps I can regain that lost understanding, that rational mindset even if it can't get back the technology. After all, your existence proves that the Mechanicus is wrong: that not all knowledge was known by the Age of Technology, that there are new things we can learn and discover, rather than just rediscovered. That perhaps it would be better to do some innovation without the STCs even if they are useful. It is not as if, as a heretek I have any place in the Mechanicus to go back to, and if you truly are from other worlds then you will need allies, people who can inform you about this world and help you. Even the Emperor had his Primarchs who in turn had their Space Marines to follow them, and help with their goals after all. Speaking of which....what ARE your goals?"
    "That...is a good question. We just arrived here today and are mostly just trying to figure out where we are and what to do about it. Edward here just arrived after us, I imagine he is the most confused. And due to the consistent nature of how ignorant the Imperium keeps everyone, I doubt we're done figuring stuff out. My usual actions when I find a tyrannical oppressive regime like this is to overthrow it and let people sort out something better while gathering what I want or what catches my fancy."
    "Observation: That....may not be the wisest idea? The Imperium is in a constant war of survival against both Xenos and the forces of Chaos, has been for ten thousand years. Many would say that its only because of the Imperium of Mankind that humanity has survived for so long. Just toppling it and letting people figure out something else would leave humanity wide open to attack from the forces surrounding it."
    "Okay but what am I supposed to do, just let these tyrannical jerks continue making life hell for everyone? What if humanity could do better than this? What if the methods used are only good enough or even wrong, and not what is best? Can we really say that the Imperium is the best humanity can do to survive in this universe?"
    "I don't think either of us know enough about the Imperium to say either way. Information is very....controlled, compartmentalized, in the Imperium. Many Adeptuses have their own customs, traditions, secrets and methods of doing things that they don't share with anyone else, and these organizations have conflicted with one another in the past. Who knows what dark secrets they are hiding? The people who probably know the most forbidden knowledge are the Inquisitors- and they would see you all as heretics or witches for one reason or another, they are beings that dwell in shadow and subterfuge, they are paranoid and don't trust anything"
    And it took a big leap of faith for Iota to trust you that your telling the truth right now.
    "Greeeaaat.....I think we need to figure out what we're doing here beyond surviving guys. If, more than surviving is what we want to do."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-08-23 at 01:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"That's a good question. Now, as you know, I hate to see knowledge and information locked away where nobody can access it. That's why I propose we steal some of these Adeptus' secrets and see if we can make use of them. As a scientist, I am always in pursuit of the secrets of the world - why stop now?"
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-08-24 at 05:35 PM.
    We are FREE of

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Iota Phi-34:
    "Very well Ezekiel, but there are certain things I know they probably aren't hiding for I know these secrets are tech heresy to pursue at all in the Adeptus Mechanicus:
    1. Twisting of the genes of the human form in ways not proscribed by the Emperor
    2. Empyric devices manipulating Chaos or the Warp, aside from the Gellar Field or the Warp Engine.
    3. resurrecting, creating, communicating with the dead, or the creation of the unliving
    4. the creation or resurrection of AI or Abominable Intelligences, such as the Men or Iron, especially ones capable of improving themselves.

Undiscovered Hereteks within the Mechanicus may pursue these but they'd be harshly punished for doing so, as such avenues are considered dangerous at best. So any secrets like that, don't expect them to be useful or safe if we find anything like that. Other than that, I suppose its possible that a Magos would hold off on announcing a rediscovery of something until they are sure its safe....or until they are sure they can get all the credit for it. After all, Magos Arkhan Land is still celebrated for his rediscovery of a single STC fragment in the 31st millennium that led to templates for the Land Raider and the Land Speeder and were named in his honor. Any Magos that rediscovers something new is practically guaranteed fame far beyond their lifetime. Knowledge is also power, and each Forge World is in competition for more even willing to kill their rivals, as the Imperium isn't centralized very much."
    "My god its like competitive college professors and researchers but with religious dogma and cutthroat politics. Wait....what millennium is it now?"
    "The 41st millennium, 990th year according to the local calendar."
    "So wait, he was this famous for ten thousand years?"
    "Yes. Is that strange?"
    "...Yes, ten thousand years is a pretty long time. The time between the start of recorded history and the modern day on Earth is somewhere about 5000 years, to think that he is still remembered after twice the amount of time is insane."
    "Huh, your planet has the Low Gothic name for Terra, odd. Anyways if there are any secrets the Mechanicus is keeping, it is on the Forge Worlds. A Hive World like this only has Adeptus Mechanicus temples to maintain the systems here, they wouldn't put anything important within the reach of the normal Imperium, as the Treaty of Mars recognizes the Adeptus Mechanicus as technically its own entity within the Imperium, with its own rules- any STC fragments or technology of that nature are required to be handed to the Mechanicus. Though, the Mechanicus still sends out many Explorator fleets, hoping to find the holy grail of technology: a fully intact STC. If they actually found such a thing.....well...they'd probably keep it secret and release the rediscoveries gradually over time to not rock the boat too much, but it'd still be a faster pace than the rate of rediscovery we have now, probably much faster. They would certainly need time to sort out all the technology that could lead to true AI anyways. So I doubt they have anything as miraculous as that.

But, what they've actually discovered or not is not the concern. If we go searching for whatever is hidden in the depths of Mechanicus Forge Worlds- which is a good chance that not even the Mechanicus itself knows of all the ancient knowledge they have stored there- then we have to get off planet first. The three problems with that are that 1: Hive Tarsus is the hive that has the orbital docks not Hive Sibellus, we need to get to a completely different hive for that And 2: not every ship the Imperium uses is warp-capable. Many ships are local system ones, meant for interplanetary merchants or defense of the local solar system. 3: even if we do have warp capable ship, we need the cooperation of one of the Navis Nobilite or Navigator- a special kind of mutant vital to guiding a ship through the warp, or you'd end up thousands of light years off from your destination in the void. If there is one kind of person in all of the Imperium I'd caution you to not kill no matter the circumstance-short of them being corrupted by Chaos- it is a Navigator."
    "Any other crew?"
    "Oh right, your from other universes. All ships in this universe require tens of thousands of people to crew them- each ship is a small community unto itself. It is why you require allies in this universe no matter your goals, as even traveling from one solar system to another is a dangerous undertaking requiring many people to operate the systems that allow this to happen. Unfortunately the only ships that are warp-capable are either Imperial Navy, or Rogue Traders, and your probably better off going after a Rogue Trader vessel, as they're one of the few entities in the Imperium allowed to operate independently. If none are in dock, your simply out of luck, but Scintilla is the capital of the Calixis Sector, so Rogue traders are most likely to come here. From there we can either take the longer journey to Mars the original Forge World and capital of the Adeptus Mechanicus, or we can go the local Forge Worlds that control the Mechanicus in the Calixis Sector: The Lathe Worlds, which probably have secrets that Mars does not. Both aren't without their dangers however."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

"I am going to point out that for most of that five thousand years between the recording of history and the present I left, most of humanity was illiterate and poorly educated, but some figures remained known and discussed despite that if they were deemed important enough, typically for religious or philosophical reasons, though I can't think of any figures older than about three thousand years despite that." And not many of those, either. "I'm not much of a scientist, but I studied the technology of one world and am able to replicate it. It... might be a bit tricky to replicate it here." The whale oil-powered devices of Gristol potentially draw upon the Void, as whales are linked to that etheric space and their bones can be carved into runes and charms that draw upon the Void directly. Such a technology might, perhaps, be seen as drawing power from the Warp, or indeed actually achieve such due to the similarities of the space and its role in the setting.

"I'd be willing to help Ezekiel, though. None of the worlds I've been to were particularly advanced, technologically speaking. One was going through an industrial revolution, one had nothing more advanced than a pocketwatch and no guns, and the last was further behind although some ruins proved this was not always the case." Alas, the secrets of Dwemer automatons died with them, and Edward wasn't able to reverse-engineer any. His Tallboy may perhaps have some Dwemer reinforcements, but it remains a piloted walker.

14. - Top - End - #74

"I think that, first thing first, we need to establish a safe base of operations. I do seriously doubt that the locals are going to appreciate my display of Atmokinesis earlier and should someone decide to come looking in the Underhive for the 'dangerous rogue psyker...' I'm more than willing to kill them if they don't back down. I'm not willing to risk innocent civilians being killed by bigots and zealots."

"Also, we do have to sleep sometime. I have a manor attached to my warehouse, but you know how it is, the entrance to the warehouse stays open while I'm in there. Need somewhere safe to plant the entrance if we want to use that as our base... I don't know if people can get in without my permission, but..."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "Indeed while I'm a strange transhuman being who has transcended the needs of physical bodies, not everyone is. My inner world within my own soul houses an entire city, fortress and laboratories and doubles as my warehouse, which has numerous humans from other worlds, demons- don't worry they're just alien not really evil-, and golems and other constructs of artifice, but my own inner world is far weirder than anything than you'll encounter in any normal reality. You might not like it there."
    "Hesitant Question:....How weird?" Iota-Phi asks
    "The land and plantlife are made entirely of reflective silver. Fruit grown from the trees of this world not only taste and nourish like the real thing they do it better because its something I emulated from Szoreny whose entire thing is reflecting somebody than refining the reflection to be better than the original. The sky is pure white, the sun is pure black, the ocean is a rainbow of colors that rise into the sky as clouds of inspiration and passion that rain down upon the land bringing the mania of new ideas upon those the people it rains upon. mountains rise from the ocean full of ores of rare metals that I consumed from other worlds because I emulated Metagaos ability to incorporate what he eats into himself so I literally am what I eat, which the inhabitants of the city mine from. these mountains are formed from volcanos that spill out emerald lava of rage and bitterness. Swamps of scrap metal and discarded parts are gathered by scavengers to be recycled, repurposed and reused to make whatever they can. also the city is a largely laissez-faire las-vegas like place full of casinos and hedonism without much order to it kinda ruled by my own Third Circle Soul."
    "......Whyyyyyyyyy?"
    "Because its apart of a power that creates my own world that reflects my inner nature because that world is technically me, as are all the Third and Second Circle Souls within it. Because I was granted this power by primordial beings called Yozis who are too vast to merely be a single person and thus could only be interacted with from our perspective through their souls. This power, my Exaltation, emulates their nature like that. By the way remind me to summon Ligier whenever there is an eclipse or a new years, he has been imprisoned for like five thousand years and letting him out to have some enjoyment with places that aren't Creation keeps him from trying to come up with plans to break the bindings that always fail."
    "...Why those events specifically?" Iota asks
    "Oh that kind of summoning can only occur during those windows of time. Normally the requirement is Calibration but since that doesn't exist anywhere except Creation, I find the closest analogues that work are either new years eve and day, or an eclipse. Weird occult requirement, why I stick to my mana magic for fast summoning."
    "....Your a lot and I think I'll have a lot of questions about you the more time we spend with each other. Right now you sound like a cross-between a Daemon Prince and the warp realm they rule, and that terrifies me." Iota says.
    "Yeah, this is why I have been keeping my powers mostly hidden, they can be a bit hard to explain and the explanations don't make them any less weird- yet its because they're so weird that I love them. Anyways I'm up for more knowledge and inventions, I've been an artificer since my second jump so technology is an interest of mine as well. Though specifically: what are the guns like in this universe?"
    "....There are a lot of guns that do many destructive things. Those cultists are pretty much using the lowest tech guns because they're cheaply affordable, even my lasgun is something produced cheaply by the Imperium for logistical reasons."
    "Excellent, while I'm a great martial artist and sorcerer, I only have a mastery of flame pieces from Creation and not actual guns, so this universe may a good opportunity to rectify my skill in that and get started on a gun collection."
    "...Why?"
    "Why not? Got to have fun with this somehow. But yeah I technically have a place for people to live just.....a very weird place."

Meanwhile, The Inquisitors:
    Lord Inquisitor Caidin had been contemplating the argument while eating sandwich. The other Inquisitors had been waiting for him to finish and then he speaks
    "I think Inquisitor Rhiannon and Amendera have the best points: there is no need for burn the whole underhive. Flamer fuel is probably best saved for when we need to fight tyranids and orks. But the underhive is not contributing to the wider Imperium's benefit and thus I propose a more efficient use for them: you Jethro Vevarn will round up the underhive and put them into a penal legion in the Imperial Guard and ship them off to the Octarius Sector. They probably all did something or other just from living there, the Orks and Tyranids are fighting each other constantly there and the blockade can always use more bodies to shore up the defenses as it were."
    "But the mutants-" Jethro begins
    "-Will have bomb collars on like the rest, Inquisitor Vevarn worry not, they will die whether they fight or run away in such a legion. They already fight each other down in the underhive who cares if they die against the xenos? This way they might buy some time for others of the guard to make a minor dent in the Octarius problem or at least hold the line for fifteen more hours. Much more useful and you can shoot any who resist, after all only a heretic would resist the honor of joining the Emperor's Imperial Guard to serve as apart of his hammer. Meanwhile Rhiannon and Amendera I task you both with hunting and killing or capturing the Alpha-Plus Psyker, best case scenario we can put them into a Psy-Titan, that might be a good thing to send to the Octarius sector, Xenos won't know what hit 'em, and if not eh well, a dead psyker is a psyker that isn't destroying Imperium assets, which is a victory of its own.

Now I'm sure you all need some time to prepare, drafting millions of criminals and forming a team to hunt down a powerful rogue psyker are bit of a undertaking, make your preparations you start tomorrow, that is all. Now if you'll excuse me I have to attend a social meeting with the Planetary Governor over the finest amasec on the planet..."
    Lord Inquisitor Caidin then walks off leaving them to their tasks. Jethro Vevarn can only seethe at the obvious corruption in Caidin as he walks away to organize Enforcers and Arbites from local precinct-fortress for some mass arrests.
    "Really, allowing them to serve in the Imperial Guard....more glorious an end than they deserve." he mutters.

Amendera and Rhiannon walk alongside each other as the Inquisitors disperse.
    "You sense the psyker down there?" Rhiannon asks
    "Yes. Its quite obvious. Do you think it could potentially be.....something like Him? proof that humanity is finally evolving into something akin to the Emperor?"
    "We've seen Alpha Plus Psykers before, they are all insane. One anomalous example doesn't change that." Rhiannon says
    "But what if its the first? The first that can control themselves?" Amendera asks
    "Then we're all frakked, because more will be coming." Rhiannon shakes her head back. "Humans given power like that untested never turn out well. They would make deals with daemons and defy the Imperium all the same, just with a clearer mind to destroy us all with."
    "But its strange is it not?" Amendera questions
    "Yes, and strange in our line of works means doom for the entire planet if left uncontrolled. A powerful rogue psyker in the underhive is nothing but trouble. You form the team to capture them, I will form the team to take her out if you fail. You want this psyker to be useful so badly, make sure my assassin doesn't need to shoot them."
    "Very well."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Use of AI is considered heresy? I'll have to keep that in mind. Granted, I think I'll be committing quite a lot of heresy down here, so it's ultimately nothing to worry about."

"That's a good point - we should get to establishing some kind of safe house. I can have Excess guard it, to keep intruders out while we sleep. While we're on the topic of material possessions, then, I would quite like to have a vehicle to make traveling easier. My Titan sacrifices mobility for heavy armour and heavy armaments, so it's not going anywhere faster than I can run."

"Wait, sorry, did you say you were eating metal somewhere in the middle of that spiel?"
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-08-29 at 04:40 PM.
    We are FREE of

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"You have multiple souls? That's interesting. Mine's a dragon." And it has a hole in it where a piece of somebody else's soul has been nailed to his soul using a metal spike, but the exact mechanics of hemalurgy remain a mystery to Edward. He'd be less happy with it if he knew the basics of the magic. "I've been stockpiling food in my warehouse, so we've got that to sell if needed. I've got a decade to top it all up again, though canneries didn't exist in my most recent trip so there's not as much as I'd have hoped." The limited ability of time to infiltrate his warehouse ensures that even the stuff he's had for nearly thirty years is still good. Well, that and the fact it's been canned.

18. - Top - End - #78

"...My soul is like, 15 times the size it should be."

Since everyone is sharing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara: Stop Rambling
    Sigh. Apparently she wouldn't be able to go on her beloved rambles like she wants if this is the response. Worry not rambles! Ensara will you meet you again one day. Perhaps create a new dedicated second circle soul to rambling? Maybe not, its a bit narrow.
    "Well yes I can eat metal, but I don't need to- strange transhuman being remember? Since you can't keep up with my rambles, to be simple I have transcended physical needs like food, water, air and such. If not in one way then another, it doesn't really matter how at this point."
    She turns to them.
    "I simply shared what my soul is to offer a place to stay that isn't a polluted hive underbelly and eats....what do people commonly eat on this world, Iota?"
    "Its a Hive World, therefore all food is either imported from nearby agri-worlds or is made from recycled human corpses, as the environment outside the hives is a completely polluted wasteland barely capable of sustaining the oxygen needed to breathe and unable to grow anything itself, largely due to the constant production of the hive cities themselves. Though the underhive mostly eat rats and mutated animals that somehow still survive down here."
    "What about water?"
    "Also recycled."
    "and this is....normal throughout the Imperium?"
    "Indeed. It is estimated 85% of the inhabited worlds of the Imperium have a hive city present upon them. Hive worlds live entirely on recycling and importing everything just to keep functioning. This is because hive worlds are meant to produce various goods and manpower for the Imperium, the goods for various things in Imperium society, and the manpower to be recruited into the Imperial Guard to fight the wars that the Imperium is in. Penal legions are commonly recruited from them due to well...the place your in now."
    "So if we tried to stage a revolt on this planet...what would happen?"
    "If you succeeded, it is likely that this planet would be cut off from its agri world imports simply due to its status changing to a War World. The planetary defense force would of course attempt to buy time for you for the actual Imperial Guard to arrive. Scintilla without such imports would face shortages or even starvation, as such planets when cut off from the warp have been known to descend into cannibalism and anarchy. The difference is, the Imperium would send in the Imperial Guard to kill us on top of that."
    "But....why? If you what say is true, and Hive world is so dependent on imports then why? they could just starve us out instead of wasting manpower."
    "It matters not. We would be committing secession and possibly heresy. Responding to such secession is a matter of dogma that all humans belong under the God-Emperor's rule as apart his divine plan. They would use force to get the planet back into the Imperium and would want to kill any who defied the Imperium anyways. Manpower is not a factor, the number of humanity in the galaxy is beyond counting. There are always reserves, always more bodies for the Imperium to recruit to overwhelm the enemy. The Imperium is willing to spend any amount of lives needed for victory."
    "Okay, as I was saying, a place to stay that isn't a polluted hive underbelly and eats bad imported food and recycled human meat. But none of you are interested, enjoy finding something palatable in this universe."
    "Observation: The nobles in the spires for sure get the best food. Since you don't seem to care about the law, you could try to taking food from them? As for transportation, there are many kinds of vehicles in matters of space, land, sea and sky. Your going to have to be more specific, and again, we're going to have get a warp-capable spaceship if you want to go off planet anyways, so thats technically a vehicle and traveling across lightyears is technically more a lot more mobile than your suit."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-08-29 at 09:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Sell?" Ezekiel asks Edward. "Surely, we could just eat the food in your warehouse. Even if not a permanent solution, it will give us time to think of one while we work toward our other goals."

"You guys have souls?" Ezekiel jokes. A little edgy, sure, but it works in the moment.

Ezekiel would retaliate against that 'can't keep up' comment, but he's not in the mood to start an argunent so instead he just rolls his eyes. Anyway, he was listening, it just took a bit of time for exactly what Ensara was saying to set in.

"I can think of at least two reasons why we shouldn't live in your soul world. For one, the laws of physics there have clearly massively diverged from our own, and I would be compelled to run as many tests and experiments as possible to figure out what the new ones are. Would you want that?"
    We are FREE of

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    She seems to read his eye roll and what its expressing and says
    "Oh, sorry sorry, that was arrogant of me, stupid hubristic demigod attitudes....anyways technically my inner world is already inhabited by an entire laboratory of scientists from Izzet Guild and Kaladesh far madder and more passionate than you, and technically long story short, you probably can't actually do anything to my inner world to mess it up or alter it unless you possess special magic to make sure spirits from Exalted can permanently die, which my souls count as. But if your so insistent on not wanting to, I get it, its weird, I'm weirder than most, we don't know each other, and I'm all about respecting individuals choices unless I reeaaaaallly need to mind control somebody to do something important, like "prevent a lot of innocent deaths" important just as an example. So, if you need for me anything I can just go somewhere nearby to practice my Gunhell ki techniques and not annoy you, don't worry I have super hearing I can probably still hear whatever conversation you have with Iota while doing so."
    She says offering that while spreading out her hands.

Meanwhile Iota-Phi says:
    "I wouldn't joke about not having a soul. That is actually possible, if very rare. The Soulless or Blanks are known to have anti-psychic effects around them, being completely immune to demonic possession, and shutting down psychic abilities with their mere presence. Their presence furthermore is painful to Demons and psykers, and is radiating a sense of "wrongness" to everyone else, to the point of people harboring hostile feelings towards them with undiscovered Blanks not living long as a result. Thus those born with the Pariah Gene are a very valuable asset in the war against Chaos."

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Ensara:
    She seems to read his eye roll and what its expressing and says
    "Oh, sorry sorry, that was arrogant of me, stupid hubristic demigod attitudes....anyways technically my inner world is already inhabited by an entire laboratory of scientists from Izzet Guild and Kaladesh far madder and more passionate than you, and technically long story short, you probably can't actually do anything to my inner world to mess it up or alter it unless you possess special magic to make sure spirits from Exalted can permanently die, which my souls count as. But if your so insistent on not wanting to, I get it, its weird, I'm weirder than most, we don't know each other, and I'm all about respecting individuals choices unless I reeaaaaallly need to mind control somebody to do something important, like "prevent a lot of innocent deaths" important just as an example. So, if you need for me anything I can just go somewhere nearby to practice my Gunhell ki techniques and not annoy you, don't worry I have super hearing I can probably still hear whatever conversation you have with Iota while doing so."
    She says offering that while spreading out her hands.
    "For the record, if we end up bunking in my manor don't say things about 'needing' to mind-control people around Molly. She, uh... It's not my story to tell but she'd take issue with it."

"Or just like in general, if you end up meeting my companions. Pamela probably won't care for it either."

Meanwhile Iota-Phi says:
    "I wouldn't joke about not having a soul. That is actually possible, if very rare. The Soulless or Blanks are known to have anti-psychic effects around them, being completely immune to demonic possession, and shutting down psychic abilities with their mere presence. Their presence furthermore is painful to Demons and psykers, and is radiating a sense of "wrongness" to everyone else, to the point of people harboring hostile feelings towards them with undiscovered Blanks not living long as a result. Thus those born with the Pariah Gene are a very valuable asset in the war against Chaos."
    Alexandra noticeably twitches.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

"Of course we can eat the food, but... a week of jellied eels packaged by Pratchett's cannery results in unpleasant gas. Trust me, I've done it before. And if we want more clothes, perhaps to blend in with local fashion, we'll need money, and food will always sell." It's not just jellied eels, of course. There's tinned vegetables produced on Scadrial, which are ashy and might not be palatable to anyone who hasn't visited that world and got the inherent adaptations to the local environment, and processed whale meat, and more recently he's worked on pickling vegetables and fish from Tamriel. "If there even is fashion here."

Edward doesn't comment on the discussions of mind control, though he does seem a little nervous at the suggestion.

24. - Top - End - #84

"Oh, I was going to say something about that: I have access to a sizable amount of the local currency and my 'home' came with running water and basic amenities."

$20 million translates to how much in Thrones? It's gotta be a lot, right? 20 million is a lot of buying power.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "Okay yeah, I'll admit I said too much there. Just know I probably agree with her in principle and that I don't intend to do it while working with you at the very least."
    "trained Psykers are able to mind control people as well in addition to many other things, such power is why they are feared even if they are in Imperial forces for if they turned traitor they can subvert many wills against the Imperium without being traitors themselves."
    "Thank you Iota." Ensara says, not sure that information helped at all.
    "Wealth explanation: there are two kinds of wealthy in this universe. Planetary nobleborn or merchant wealthy, and rogue trader wealthy. The former is a normal wealthy living a life of luxury no normal man can ever achieve, the latter is unimaginably wealthy beyond counting."
    "Whats the difference?"
    "The difference is that a nobleborn has enough wealth to have a mansion and thugs from the local planet, while a merchant has wealth from trading between planets of a local solar system. A Rogue Trader, has enough wealth to purchase rare technology from xenos and older ages even those nobles will never see, and travel around the galaxy in vessels capable of carrying out Exterminatus upon a planet, their house having many many assets across multiple planets and star systems and being the only ones able to legally trade with people outside the Imperium. If your money is so easily counted, then its probably only nobleborn wealthy.

As for fashion, I am certain that is only a noble thing, and all the other flesh humans just wear what is common to their world. Tech priests like I once was have no need of fashion, wearing only the red robes of the Priesthood of Mars."
    "I mean....my wealth perk isn't a fixed amount. Its just a nebulous but legitimate source of income that adjusts itself to each world I go to that makes me wealthy and live a lavish lifestyle....don't know how that works with THIS universe yet. I haven't checked, my wealth is all stored in my inner world so....I'll have to go figure that out."
    Ensara then sits cross-legged and begins meditating.

Spoiler: Inner World of Ensara:
    Show

She finds herself in her palace. This self was but a projection of herself into her own world. After all, her physical body can't really be inside of herself. That would make no sense. She passes by the various decorations and oddities she has gathered over three worlds. Yes its all pretty grand and detailed and full of history and whatnot, but right now she needs to get to business. She walks until she finds herself in the portal room. Named so, because due to how things work her source of income must be legitimate but also must connect to her own inner world. Thus a portal was set up that connected to whatever legitimate source of wealth she ended up with, and had loyal followers of her to manage it in her stead. The leader of those that manage her wealth was Fan Ling, once a human woman in Creation who competently managed her wealth there, Ensara elevated her with a transformation into being a First Circle Demon as a reward for her efforts. Her skin and hair were now blue geometric crystal, her eyes glowing with a blue light and she radiated an even more orderly and logical presence than she did as a human.
    "Fan Ling, we have entered a new world, what are the changes?"
    "I have noticed, my lady. Our wealth is now in something called Throne Gelt. Ours takes the form of coinage with this God-Emperor's face on one side and an aquila on the other, but trades today alone has seen people paying in various things in other currencies that are less known but Throne Gelt seems be the closest thing to a standardized system of wealth."
    "What is our business like now?"
    "It seems to be a merchant corporation operating within a big solar system, its wealth derived from the local economy with no real galactic one. The merchants we now run seem to see you as some heretical spirit the highest members worship in secret."
    "....How is that legitimate though?"
    "Its legitimate in the sense that its an actual business that generates wealth through legitimate means, and its an arrangement where they willingly give your share of the wealth to you. Its probably not legitimate in the eyes of the religion of this universe, but it does not seem to count for anything legally for some reason."
    "Strange, I was of the impression that this emperor-worship was a state religion of this galaxy-spanning empire. How would it not be legitimate?"
    "I have no idea, my lady. It sounds like something worth investigating." Fan Ling says
    "Indeed..." Ensara "something worth investigating."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-09-01 at 08:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh. Okay, well, if you want to go and do that, that's fine." Ezekiel responds to Ensara.

When the Soulless/Blanks are brought up, Ezekiel doesn't even try to hide how interesting the concept sounds to him based on Iota-Phi's description. "Are they now? What I wouldn't give for a little psychic resistance... To be completely honest, I'd be very interested in meeting one some time, no matter how wrong they are."

"Ah, I see - you meant food as in 'food, allegedly'. In which case, trade would be the better move. We make some money, and they at least get to eat something that's a step up from rat meat and Soylent Green. I'm not taking off the coat, though, if that's what you're suggesting." Not for a thing.

"Right, that's what you were giving Iota-Phi, wasn't it." He'll remember that, so he can borrow some later.

"Ah, I see. It's like the difference between business owners, and megacorporations. Seriously, I knew of some companies large enough to go to actual war over entire planets." Looking at you, Atlas and Maliwan.
    Last edited by Gold Leaf; 2022-09-02 at 07:12 AM.
    We are FREE of

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

"It's a semi-self replenishing source of food ensuring I've got plenty to eat and do not risk starvation so long as I can access it. It tends to replicate the most recent item I have added, with bulk playing a large part in that. Most of the food I have added I chose for its long shelf-life and availability in large quantities, especially as some of the worlds I have visited have been undergoing various calamities that interfere with logistics and food supplies. My most recent trip was to a world that did not yet have canning technology, so there's salt fish, smoked meat, and pickled vegetables as well. If there's a locally-produced long-life rat-based food product, I'd like to add some of that at some point, since I would prefer to avoid eating the corpse starch." Although probably algae cubes would be better. "I also wasn't worried about the coat; everywhere has some kind of coat, I think. I'm more worried about my cravat; they have been popular amongst the upper classes twice, totally absent once, and superseded by newer fashion where I started." Given the expanse of the Imperium and the wide range of differing planets, it shouldn't mark him as any stranger than any other off-worlder, though Edward doesn't know that.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Iota-Phi:
    "Calculating......The odds of you meeting a Blank are very low, but they are generally gathered on the Black Ships much like the Psykers are. To be taken to Terra. From there? Who knows. Such ships only come once in a blue moon, I've heard about once in once in a hundred years apparently? After all, if your going to take the reality-warping humans who could potentially cause trouble why not also take those who can suppress them? The surest way to meet one therefore is to go to Holy Terra itself, same solar system as Forge World Mars, though I warn you: Sol System is the most heavily defended solar system in the galaxy."
    He considers Edward concerns
    "...Statement: I am a tech priest. I am no longer well versed in normal human means of fuel consumption and cannot direct you to such things. But claification: a hive world like this does require a lot of food imported from agri worlds to function, it cannot survive solely on corpse starch, as maintaining a high number of humans is the entire point of hive worlds anyways, so its likely there are food places for flesh-beings such as you.....just not in the underhive where nothing is made. You are in essentially this hive's slums right now."

Spoiler: Ensara's Inner World:
    Show

"what confuses me however, Fan Ling"
    Ensara says
    "Is that I took the highest wealth perk my Exalted jump gave me. Why aren't I a rogue trader?"
    "Well my lady, from what I've gathered becoming a Rogue Trader is more than just wealth. It requires a Warrant of Trade, given out by the High Lords of Terra or inherited from someone who used to be a Rogue Trader, with entire Rogue Trader Dynasties forming being given one. These are only given as reward in battle or for political reasons, and have certain legal rights and obligations." Fan Ling answers.
    "ah I see. My perk only affects the amount of wealth I get as income, getting a Warrant of Trade would technically be something different from raw wealth. That makes sense. Did you have any contact with this worlds demons?"
    "No."
    She says the next part to both Fan Ling and Zinara:
    "Good, standard safety measures: if any demon tries to make a deal with anyone, they are to be refused and told that all demonic deals must go through me. Furthermore this universe does not seem friendly to things its unfamiliar, foreign or does not understand so I doubt this universe will allow much opportunity for externalization of my world-form to do trade. Take defensive measures, assume anything we gain from this universe must be taken not traded until I say otherwise, anything that gets into my inner world without my explicit permission or accompaniment is to be killed. I am not sure if there is anyone out there who will be receptive to our whole "freedom, progress and individuality" thing we got going here, so I might try to bring some people in assuming I can enlighten them, but Little Malfeas might be isolated for a bit."
    "Understood" Fan Ling says.
    Ensara then ends her projection

She opens her eyes.
    "Okay so I did a brief check with my financier, apparently I own a merchant corporation that handles an entire solar systems interplanetary trade somewhere, but are not a Rogue Trader in this universe, that requires a Warrant of Trade. What I'd miss?"
    Iota tells her.
    "Ah. Hm. If I knew where any of the planets were located I could simply try planeswalking around to get things but right now I'd simply be teleporting around the vastness of empty space. But curious thing: apparently for some reason the dictates of the religion worshipping the Emperor aren't considered "legitimate" in terms of what is or isn't allowed at least, source of wealth wise. Quite odd."
    "Confusion: But....the Cult of the Emperor has existed since.....well the Emperor's time. I think? I am not certain about this. Its certainly been around longer than anyone can remember. I know the Adeptus Mechanicus is older because the oldest records they have originate from the Age of Strife and they can't have possibly started worshipping the Emperor before the Great Crusade. The Ecclesiarchy is one of the largest most powerful institutions it has, it forms the bedrock of the entire Imperial belief and culture, how could it possibly not be legitimate?"
    "That is a mystery worth investigating now isn't it? As for fashion...well wuxia/xianxia garments are a bit out of place I must admit, easily fixable, unfortunately this Imperium seems so afraid of anything nonhuman that I won't be able to shapeshift into anything more fun."
    Like all her beautiful demonic forms. (See? She can keep self things to herself.) She was Nadir Caste, despite her great power in sorcery and martial arts her original specialty in Creation was in subterfuge and stealth, going unseen and undetected- and an Exalted of her kind of power was more stealthy than any mortal person could be or ever detect, more stealthy than most other Exalts. She could work in the shadows and blend in once again if need be.
    "So we need fashions to blend in, good food, a ship and a Navigator and we're aiming for seeking out the technological secrets of the Adeptus Mechanicus, anything else we want to plan to do?"

Manyclops will suddenly rush in
    "Hey, you, new blokes with that weird light of hope in your eyes, bad news! I got a tip from a malifixer that um, that the Arbites are suddenly talking about organizing to round up the entire underhive and ship us out as a penal legion. Thought you might want to know, it'll take a while, at least until tomorrow since it takes a lot of organizin' and mobilizing to round up and collar millions of people but I thought you might want to know so you can get out? Its real weird cause it ain't the normal tithe time of year, but....its happenin' for some reason. Me and gangs are probably going to preparing to fight....no matter how useless it is."
    "Alarm: It is indeed, useless." Iota-Phi states "A normal Arbites or Enforcer is equipped with flak armor which protects against things like autogun rounds easily, if not something even more protective like carapace. The normal firearms available to the underhive will not be sufficient to harm them. It is probably not possible to cobble together enough laslock rifles in only a day either and would faire little better. If they are truly doing this, the underhive is going to become a battlefield, and it is likely the underhive will lose."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-09-05 at 06:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Alexandra's eyes turn stoney.

"Tell me, friend? How might I find these arbites so that I may educate them on the error of their ways or, failing that, send them to explain their sins to whatever god they worship?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Manyclops and Iota:
    They exchange glances. They know the base is the Precinct Fortress of Scintilla known as the Hall of the Just, and it is lead by Grand Marshal Goreman, the leader of the Arbites for the entire Calixis sector. They knew it had a reputation among the underhive for brutality over strict adherence to Imperial law, as thugs and simpletons whose enforcement of the law is too unrestrained. Grand Marshal Goreman had many honors for his efforts to keep order, but that he does it savagely and contempt for the civilians under him, the Arbites he commands favoring quick and brutal methods of punishment over protracted research and actually make sure the laws are being upheld correctly. Rumors say that he purged his precinct from top to bottom to be rid of people who did not hold his interpretation of the law under a leader who allowed it, spoke out against a more bookish and careful commander before he came into power, and was in general rumored to be someone who wants to beat discipline into the masses forever. So they nod, deciding 'screw 'em' and Manyclops says
    "Oh yeah, the leaders in the Precinct Fortress known as the Hall of the Just near Hive Tarsus. His name's Goreman, Grand Marshal Goreman. The precinct fortress is on equatorial continent, in the desert right next to Tarsus, never seen it meself, but its supposed to be this big black obelisk risin' from the desert. Can't miss it. This continents the northern temperate one. Do whatever you want with him."
    "I'll come with, messing with the law is always fun. Anyone else want to come? I can teleport you."

Meanwhile, Grand Marshal Goreman:
    "Alright listen up!"
    Goreman bellows with his gravelly voice, commanding respect, walking quickly through the fortress
    "I want an arbitrator or proctor on every enforcer squad you all command, you are to bring as many electro net launchers, shock mauls, suppression shields, and so on we can spare. This will be a riot and we will be capturing all of them to serve in the Guard! By the God-Emperor these hive scum will learn some discipline in their lives before they give them up or my name's not Goreman!"
    "Uh Lord Marshal, what are their actual crimes?" a new arbitrator asks
    "Actual crimes? They're underhive scum! What aren't their crimes, recruit!? laziness, disobedient wastrels, living worthless aimless lives, thats their crime for you. Idle hands are the heretics workshop as the priests say. Not even serving in an Adeptus without discipline, strength or faith. If anything we're giving them a gift! The gift of service, of duty, and discipline to serve something higher than themselves! And should count themselves lucky that they even get to toil for the Adeptus at all, should be thankful that they get to support the government they live under. What do we get instead? Riots! Disobedience! Sedition!"
    "But on whose orders?"
    "Thats the best part, recruit!" Lord Marshal Goreman says with a dark smile. "An Inquisitors Order. Overrides all the regulations and whatever intellectual fops might have a problem with it! Might as well have come from the God-Emperor himself! Its like Sanguinala came early. Why if this works, I might just decide to do the same for Gunmetal City, Tarsus and Ambulon too, get the whole planet free of these scum while we're at it. You know, like spring cleaning. We're doing the Emperor's work tomorrow, arbitrators, the Emperor's work!"
    He couldn't help but be elated at this opportunity. He always did think those pesky regulations were getting in the way of enforcing the law on those lazy wastrels they call 'citizens'. From this we can safely deduce that Goreman has never seen the inside of a manufactorum or knows what goes on within one. If he looks upon a manufactorum it is to perhaps to wonder why they go to make so much smoke or what purpose making smoke serves but doesn't question it because the Emperor said they should so probably serves some purpose he has yet to understand while drinking recaff, the sacrifice of a man's 16 hour work day to make that recaff and everything else he uses or owns passing beneath his notice.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I'm not making Goreman up. He is an actual Dark Heresy NPC and these are things he has actually done. This is however my interpretation of him, of course.