New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Jumpers vs. 40k IC1: Worst. Isekai. Ever.

"Well, if you'll let me see your original pistols, I can see what I can do to replicate their characteristics- weight and recoil and suchlike- with a more powerful weapon." Frode told Edward.

"And I wasn't planning on opening hostilities with Cegorach. Just making sure I have something ready in case he decides to cause us problems."
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "Well I've spoke with Rhiannon and Eldrad and while they hate each other, they agree on a few points threat-wise: Chaos, Tyranids and Orks are probably the biggest most immediate threats in different ways: Orks are just....everywhere basically. While they seem like happy funny football hooligans they can actually be a threat if their numbers get large enough and if something like The Beast emerges again that could be bad for everyone but Orks, and their numbers increase the more fighting and war happens without being burned so their spores don't repopulate themselves. Tyranids are a comparatively new threat and much about them isn't known, but they are threatening in that they're the only united faction in the galaxy due to their hivemind and they can adapt their biology real fast when fighting a battle, not in the middle of combat exactly but more like if the first wave dies easily to some environmental thing, the second wave probably won't, and they are seemingly laser-focused on just eating all biomass. Forever. Orks to an extent can actually be negotiated with or manipulated or tricked to our benefit, but the problem with Tyranids is that they're just these big swarms eating everything that have this intelligence that is completely alien to our own simultaneously both animal level yet some organic super-computer while skipping sapience completely, unless one of us wants to experiment using our psychic power to try and control Tyranids on threats we want, the only way we can do anything about them is to pretty much get rid of them. Chaos is of course magic and can do all sorts of nonsense.

the C'tan are waking up but that isn't like....immediate. The problem is they're gods of the Materium. As in, they mastered science and technology to the point where they are gods without the Warp's psycho-magical nonsense. Which is a big deal when many civilizations in this universe use the warp to travel in some way. Necrons have similar levels of hypertech being the ones who captured them, but they're still in the middle of waking up as well and thus their numbers are low right now but liable to get bigger as time goes by, according to Eldrad however they are not all servants of the C'tan nor are they all walking egyptian robot zombies out to kill everything, in fact according to our information, there are several dynasties of Necrons out there in the galaxy just off doing their old thing, reclaiming planets that were once theirs and such. the Eldar of course can't tell us much more because the Necrons and Eldar's enmity go waaaaaaay back, but they're keeping tabs on their old enemies nonetheless. and this is where the conflicts start to get a bit greyer because if this is any indication, the Necrons have a civilization, personalities and so on.

The Tau are there, but not really a big threat, they're just kind of a rising power. the Imperium is more of a threat to the galaxy than the Tau due to all the crusades it has launched over ten thousand years its still quite massive size and the fact that it wants to kill everything that isn't them. While many of the minor alien races out there aren't nice themselves or dangerous in their own way, humanity ain't exactly winning any goodness awards either.

And if I may be so bold.....sure we can go to Cegorach directly and sure Kaerabryn can probably help negotiate, but if you want to be a better person, be a beacon of hope in a grim and dark universe such as this one, perhaps start by showing good will and helping out with things that both you and Cegorach may want dealt with? which you'd probably do with any of the Harlequins you'd seek out anyways. After all, approaching a potential ally with the fact that you've already helped them can be helpful to you, put them in good favor so to speak. After all, if you want this galaxy to take a better course, perhaps start by showing how this can be better with your actions? I personally don't care about being that-to borrow a Mass Effect term- Paragon. I'd be okay with simply burning much of the Imperium's government to the ground for being oppressive genocidal tyrants, killing all the tyranids, stealing much of the Necron's tech to play with, destroy the C'tan, killing and usurping the mantles of the Chaos Gods to prove that I'm the real demonic Chaos around here, teaching people the true meaning of freedom and then leaving for another Jump and hoping whoever I leave behind can build something better themselves, but I'd wager you lot want to y'know do things more "properly", whatever that means in a universe like this. If you really want to just waltz in and be rude the clown god and not care what he thinks of us, that is fine with me, the Eldar probably won't like it, but if we're as powerful as you say, then we can get the job done regardless.

Not saying all your options are good ones, just saying that they can be done. Until we all agree and confirm which one we take I'll just be here, giving my two obols er, cents, while learning oh.....Cosmos Techniques maybe another Ars Magnus later, don't worry I'll focus on techniques that aren't....destructive."

Ensara will then start practicing martial arts routines while focusing her ki in new ways to try and learn them so she can do them later.

Kaerabryn will say
    "Yeah, speaking as an Eldar, please don't kill our last remaining god. Khaine is still shattered into a million pieces and Isha is uuh.....still kidnapped/imprisoned by The Plaguefather and mostly just making cures for all his diseases. We kind of need him."
    "Oh hey there's an idea! Maybe we can go rescue Isha. Its not killing a god, and Isha doesn't want to be around some gross decay god anyways. it'd give us a lot of good will with Cegorach and the Eldar, and its sounds very audacious and adventure-like for heroes like ourselves."
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2023-04-29 at 01:42 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #213

Frode's eyes were flashing with silver-blue light as Ensara spoke, and murmuring to himself. When she finished, his eyes cleared to their normal dark colour, and he spoke in turn.

"Was looking at the Imperial databases, looking up some of the things you were talking about. Seems like bad network security is the truest universal constant, I'm not sure I even needed my powers to get into it."

He made a small gesture, and a hologram of a monstrous ork appeared above the conference table.

"You said another Beast wouldn't be good for anyone except the orks. What if that Beast was in the right place? I found a footnote in the Imperial records about an ork WAAAGH! that deliberately avoided a fight at Cadia to pass into the Eye of Terror some time ago. I can see into the Warp some, and there's WAAAGH! energy still there. Er, kind of."

Frode frowned. "It's... kind of cyclical? It seems to start strong, slowly fade away to nothing, then come back at the same strength it started at the previous time, over the course of about twenty-four hours. I'm not sure what's happening there. But anyways, if we were to use our abilities to jump-start that warboss into Beast-hood, I'd say there's a good chance that there'd be the biggest WAAAGH! anyone has seen in thousands of years jumping straight down Chaos' throat."

"Anyways, if we're going into the Warp anyways to try and find Nurgle, or where he's keeping Isha, at least, it might be worth taking a chance to try and find the orks who are running around in there, since they're almost certainly killing daemons. And if they've got a taste for that already, odds are good that they'd stay in there, or go in even deeper, instead of coming out to bother anyone else." Frode paused thoughtfully.

"Also, I'm pretty sure that I could implant a killswitch into an artificially-made Beast, so if he did decide he wanted to come out and attack someone other than Chaos, his head would just go 'boom', and that would be the end of that."

The Frode smiled, a little. "And I realize I have my own biases, but I can't say I'm very worried about these C'Tan. If they depend on technology, I can take it away from them. It's what I do; I haven't found a machine, or machine life-form, or anything of that nature, in three separate Clarketech universes that I could not make mine and use as an extension of my will. Some took more effort than others, but it has never been a true contest."

Frode gestured again, and the ork-face vanished, replaced by... something... amorphous and wriggling, that promptly winked out. "Apparently the Warp doesn't translate well into three-dimensional images." Frode commented. "Regardless, we should probably work to track down where we can find Isha. And maybe come up with a plan of attack. We don't want to just kill Nurgle, since that would set off all kinds of other problems that we don't need right now, but part of his aspect is endurance, which most likely means that it can take one hell of a beating and keep going. My first thought is a stasis field or a time missile, but I'm not sure how well those would work in the Warp. Time is very unstable there."
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

4. - Top - End - #214
    Colossus in the Playground

"Does everyone here have anti-corruption perks? What about disease immunity? Not gonna lie I'm not sure I want to stress-test my immune system against the creations of an evil god of plague."

"If we don't have both of those we're gonna need like... Some prep work. I can probably make Hazmat suits out of the Green Flame but the Green Flame is an inherently chaotic form of magic so I wouldn't really trust it as a defense against Chaos Corruption."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

"Corruption like this universe has isn't something I've encountered before, but Scadrial's atmosphere was decidedly hostile, so everyone who visits it gets a blanket immunity to poisons and resistance to disease, especially airborne strains. And I heal to my ideal self, which should help against mutation." But it might not, if Edward's twisted enough his idea of what his ideal self changes. Also, the poison resistance is era-locked; after the end of the world and its rebirth, the planet is a lot healthier and humans don't need to survive constant ashfalls from constantly active volcanoes clogging the air and simultaneously protecting the planet from overheating as it's too close to its sun.

"It... might still be an issue? I mean, that ork is fighting, and that's Khorne, isn't it? They might not be in as right a place as it looks on the surface." There's a reason Tuska the Daemon Killa appears in both the seventh edition codices of Chaos Daemons and Orks, unless Earl's misremembering the era of the codices he owns (and the daemon one isn't in said collection either way).
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "Oh I have disease immunity, as an Infernal charm, there's like three yozis off the top of my head that can make diseases and one of them is basically radiation so I'm immune to that to. anti corruption, those are Integrity charms also works against transforming my body to, and from Anima I'm drawing power from literal conceptual nothingness to enhanced my resistances against everything and have no need to eat, drink or sleep. No exact perks, but being an Exalt has pretty good protections like that if you invest in the right skills.

As for The Beast, well here's how it works: the way something like The Beast emerges is tied directly into the Ork lifecycle, how their entire society....biology....ecology works, according to Eldrad and Rhiannon. The way Orks reproduce is that when one dies they release spores to cover the place and those spores grow into new orks or life forms that are ork adjacent such as Squigs and Grots. And orks? are constantly fighting. its their single instinctual purpose in life, their joy, as vital and enjoyable to them as like, food or drink is to us. Its what their entire species is designed around, because they were designed long ago to be weapons of war. Same war the Necrons and Eldar fought each other in. The orks that DON'T die, that win, get bigger and stronger and the orks always follow the biggest and strongest ork around. Always. They literally believe the biggest and strongest of them should be in charge, and because of their biology and their psychic field thing that might be allowing their stupidity to warp reality in small ways, the phrase "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" might literally be true for them. and Orks will always fight each other until a stronger ork emerges to lead them in absence of a leader, whether that emerges because of their biology or reality warping is...who knows. The reason The Beast emerged is uh....well basically y'know the Horus Heresy and the Great Crusade? how that was a lot of fightin'? well....that killed a lot of orks to, which spread a lot of spores which lead to more orks, thus more orks to fight each other for supremacy to The Beast emerging.....2000 years later. Its kind of a "critical mass" thing. Engineering one emerging by ourselves....not sure how that would work, given the timespan involved.

Worse: The Beast was known to be more intelligent and make other orks more intelligent when it existed. If we succeed in making a Beast, they're not going to be your average dumb ork or somewhat clever ork warboss, your going to have a being that will be able to rally the entire ork species to bring the Imperium to its knees, create attack moons from actual literal moons, and appoint ork ambassadors to do diplomacy with, and organize ork civilization itself and make ork cities. I'm not kidding, those all happened in the War of the Beast. Like, the whole psychic Waaagh field thing they have is kinda like....a beacon in a sense to other orks, they gather to bigger stronger orks especially when fighting is happening. Like your not making something that will just stupidly fight Chaos, you'd be making this titanic ork genius of war and technology comparable to like, a primarch, maybe even the Emperor, and don't let the capability for diplomacy and super-intelligence fool you: they'd still want to fight and do war forever. The Ork ambassador was basically demanding the High Lords of Terra to surrender or face death. Its very possible that if a Beast is made they will figure out a way out of the Warp and be a threat to everyone else while making all the orks gather there. that and a lot of the Chaos aligned primarchs are still alive and like immortal while all the loyalist primarchs are mysteriously missing or dead. The last time this happened, Vulkan killed the Beast and Vulkan is literally one of the few people that are immortal without demon powers. If a Perpetual Vulkan could take out The Beast, there is a good chance demon-primarch Angron could do it to.

Like such a make a Beast plan could work for a time, its just a question of how long its a problem that needs solving itself, if we can figure out a way to make one appear."

She creates small rift in space using ki to fire harmless little meteor-pebbles at random targets, a small-scale version of the first attack of Cosmos to try and get the technique down, bouncing harmlessly off whatever they hit.

7. - Top - End - #217

"Hmm. I should probably give all of my ideas when I start talking, eh? The other part of my 'build-a-Beast' plan would be a quick jump to Earth for me, to take a look at the Golden Throne that this Emperor is stuck in. Word is that it's failing very, very slowly, and the Emperor dying, even if he didn't immediately pop back up as a new Chaos goober and throw the Warp into unnavigable turmoil, would be a Problem. Of course, him waking back up would also be a problem, since there are factions that don't particularly want to listen to him anymore, and the Empire of Man imploding into the biggest civil war the galaxy has ever seen is not something anybody needs right now."

Frode actually started to pace, back and forth as the three image inducers he had created spun in wild, alternating orbits around one hand, then the other, then in a figure-eight between them, and once even briefly rotating around his head for a while.

"The reason I bring up the golden whatsit is because it had another purpose before it was turned into a mediocre interstellar lighthouse and wannabe iron lung. According to what I've read in the Imperial databases... they're a mess, by the way, I've known some archivists that would have an aneurysm if they saw it, either that or try to choke the nearest person responsible for it... the Emperor was working on a human Webway, with psychic shields around the whole thing, blocking the entire Imperium off from Chaos entirely."

Frode gestured widely, half admiringly, half in irritation. "I'll give him this much, he's not lacking in ambition. If I can get a good look at the technology, I can almost certainly get it going working on that again, while also fixing it so it's gradually healing him, instead of just making him die slower. And I think... hang on, I just remembered something. I've been a bit distracted, but I got a message upon arrival..."

Frode's eyes flashed their usual silver-blue, then he blinked and looked shocked, and his eye-lights started to strobe in a very odd fashion, pulsing erratically and shifting colours a few times before the light faded again.

"I'm going to have to be very careful with that. But apparently I got a perk that allows me knowledge of all the technology of a given universe. All of it, with no exceptions. I looked up the Golden Throne, and I nearly got lost in it all. The way my abilities work, I could end up standing in one place for the rest of eternity, studying all the information I have at my fingertips. Or at least for a million years or two."

Frode shook his head. "I would consider it a favour that, if you ever come across me acting like that, you could slap me upside the head or something. Anyways, I was able to find the information on the Golden Throne, and I can see a number of easy ways... at least, easy for me... to get it to do what we want."

He glanced at Rhiannon. "As an inquisitor, you presumably have at least some knowledge of how the Imperial Cult works; how could I manifest, visually, in a way that the Custodes would see as a miracle to be marvelled at, rather than an invasion to be killed?"

Then he interrupted himself. "Oh, right, sorry Trader Rhiannon, one moment..."

The dance of the image inducers slowed down a little, and the three metallic objects were no longer quite as slim, although still fairly sleek. The spun to a halt, hovering above his hand for a moment, before they sped outwards to hang in the air, one each, in front of Alexandra, Edward and Ensara. "These are still image inducers, but now they also project a fog of nanobots that will destroy any and all diseases on contact- basically an anti-bacterial, antiviral, anti-whatever-microscopic forcefield. If this Nurgle thing can create diseases directly inside our bodies... and I can't figure that out, at least from the Imperial records... then touch the raised button near the top, it gives the nanobots permission to enter your bodies and maintain your health, based directly on reading your DNA. Just touch the raised button again to get them out. Oh. They're communicators, too- should be viable at any range and cross-dimensionally. Thought it might be a good idea to have a method of communication that's not dependent on this universe' tech- I might be wrong, but as far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any way for a non-jumper to intercept our communications on these."

He inclined his head towards Edward. "And if I'm reading the Imperial's records correctly, then it doesn't matter where anyone or anything fights; Khorne feeds off it. And orks fight no matter where they are, so I was thinking we may as well get some use out of them being all fighty all the time."

"Anyways, my apologies, Trader Rhiannon. The manifestation I asked about?"
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-01 at 08:54 PM.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Knowledge of Golden Throne:
    Yeah if you looked that up, you at least know its basic function: It sacrifices psykers to power the Astronomicon and sustain the Emperor's life. This is a completely intended part of its design. Its not accidental or a thing that just so happens can be done with it, but something that it is intended to do. Furthermore, a powerful psyker is required to be on the throne at all times to make sure the Astronomicon is alight. Furthermore it was not built by the Emperor himself, but discovered in the sands of what used to be Asia and is a relic of the Dark Age of Technology, meaning humanity at its height in a culture of rationality, logic and atheism decided to build this. Whoever designed this, did not care about the lives of psykers, and merely fixing it will only lessen the amount of psykers needed to be sacrificed down to 1/4th of how many get sacrificed currently, not get rid of them altogether, which is still the sacrifice of 2500 lives rather than ten thousand over two to three months. That is all you can get from this brief skimming of the vast information involved in such advanced technology.

Sabre: React to Shocking Revelation
    "Wait, WHAT!?" all the Imperium humans and Kaerabryn suddenly exclaims at the news that Frode casually reveals
    "What do you mean he was working on a human webway!?" exclaims Rhiannon "I didn't know about that! Why did no one know about that!?"
    "Why did he keep that secret!?" says Kaerabryn says confused "The Eldar and humans have negotiated before! We never liked each other, but you'd think a plan to cut off Chaos would be beneficial to both of us! Why didn't he just ask!?.....Or maybe he was planning on using them against us...."
    Navigator Chrimyra answers
    "Wait....a think I know why or at least a possible reason. The Navis Nobilite. Houses like mine are incredibly politically and economically powerful because of the Warp and the vital role we fulfill to transport people across the void. A Human Webway would make the Naiv Nobilite.....obsolete, if not immediately then quickly as such a webway gets built more and more. Their political power would dissolve and perhaps he wanted to avoid them moving against him."
    Rhiannon responds
    "You mean the thing that could lead to the prosperity and bright future for all of humanity.....was kept secret and died in the crib because of FRAKKING PETTY POWER POLITCIS!?" Rhiannon rages
    "Basically, yeah" Ensara comments casually
    "But....He's the God-Emperor! He should've been able to just command them or threaten them into compliance! He's the rightful Master of all Mankind! He conquered the stars with a burning blade uniting all of humanity with his loyal sons at his side! How could he have been beholden to a bunch of upjumped mutants with a third eye?"
    "well....not every problem can be punched, I say this as an Exalt with a lot of experience in punching. The Navis Nobilite decided if they weren't okay with not being on top could simply refuse to not navigate any ships, grinding all travel in the Imperium to a standstill- or at least, near standstill, since there is shorter shallower warp jumps that do not need the navigators but only a few light years in length, significantly increasing travel times. For most systems this wouldn't actually change much because most societies whether it be a planet or solar system in the Imperium are supported locally anyways, they have to with how unreliable warp travel can be. But it would impact the Imperium's government and military quite significantly since responding to any threat relies upon longer warp travel.

However, responding to threats over a large distance wouldn't be a problem anyways if one simply....made sure all the local defenses are up to snuff and you didn't need a distant army to come running each time some ork Waaagh showed up. Essentially make the PDF's more vital to and better at defending a planet than distant reinforcements that will take time to arrive. But the Emperor probably wasn't making his decisions in the mind of his empire being complete yet. At the time the Great Crusade was still happening, the galaxy was still being conquered. Thus all his forces were designed to go on the offensive, to rapidly go from system to system conquering planets in the name of his Imperium. Maybe if he truly cared about people, if he wanted the best outcome- he'd simply stop conquering a bit earlier, said that what, two thirds of the galaxy was good enough and started reforming his armies and defenses a little sooner, told people what exactly his plans were when they stopped the conquests, the violence, the crushing of all resistance perhaps then it would a slight bit believable that his intentions were good. Reform the PDF's well enough so they could defend against anything, and he would not need to worry about appeasing the Navis Nobilite. Give every PDF the training of a storm trooper, the cheap power armor of an adepa sororitas, the vehicles of the imperial guard, perhaps even the more easily made cybernetics of the mechanicum, and who would need the glorious space marines of the imperial guard to come save them? The entire point of keeping the webway secret was not the for benefit of humanity, but the benefit.... of his armies.

Maybe he planned on reforming later but....I question his priorities. The Emperor is very similar to an Exalt, and I've seen more than one Exalt meet their downfall from trying to grab it all, from expanding their empire too much, from thinking they had everything under control and that human lives could take a back seat for a moment to whatever vision of an ideal world or clever plan they had in their head at the time. The good or at least the competent Exalts...they tend to know when to quit. When they've done enough, when to sit back for a moment before going for too much, too fast. The Emperor doesn't sound like he ever learned that lesson."

"You don't know that. you don't know any of that." Rhiannon says "Frode says he can revive the Emperor, and the Emperor opposes Chaos like no one else- his power literally repels and destroys it! I bet you if he is revived, he can solve everything, or at least be of great help in doing so."
    "Bet you anything he won't." Ensara says back. "and I'm totally willing to make the bet real if we decide to revive the Emperor, I'm confident that it won't be a good idea, and am willing to let it happen to see the results, just because its interesting."

Rhiannon Answer:
    "Miraculous for the Custodes? Hm. The Custodes are very high up in the Imperium. They're the ones that guard and attend to the Emperor himself. I'd say anything less than Primarch wouldn't be allowed in, aside from that one case of Alicia Dominica and her killing Vandire afterwards. No one really knows what happened there, we just have faith that she got a mission from the God-Emperor himself to kill him. So, disguise yourself a Primarch probably? Ugh recommending that feels heretical."

Ensara:
    "and oh, you have a knowledge perk that good? Hm, I'll have to something like that next Jump, could be very useful. If your feeling inclined I'd love to take any copies of Archeotech, Necrontech, any non-warp based technology in this universe so I can study and perhaps replicate them. The more I have, the more I stop focusing on collecting things I like and more on altruistic pursuits like you seem to be focused on.

You could also probably make or have knowledge of a complete STC, which if ever found would revolutionize things for humanity at least, but given how humanity is right now, I wonder if giving them such all the tech is a good idea or if they will just use weapons to genocide aliens and themselves more efficiently. Perhaps I could start on doing work to change peoples minds to be less horrible and hateful and whatnot and maybe some clarketech you have can make my social influencing of them more efficient and widespread than planet by planet, but I doubt such a thing would be without its dangers. You can't change a regime like the Imperium without some blood being shed, with out some things being destroyed. A completely peaceful transition from the horrible dystopia that the Imperium is to something good is an overly idealistic fairy tale, and this universe does not deal in such things especially. Some endings are inevitable, and some of those are violent no matter how much we wish otherwise. For oppressive jerks and tyrants, such an end is often deserved in my opinion however so...not much of a loss to me."

9. - Top - End - #219

"Oh. Hmm. I really wasn't planning on walking into the palace. Was just going to appear in a blaze of golden light or whatever before I phased into and merged with the Golden Throne to get a better feel for its inner workings. Speaking of which, Alexandra? Are you able to duplicate the... holy magic, for want of a better way of putting it... psychic frequency from this universe? Something that would roughly duplicate the Emperor's so that I'd be flagged as friend rather than foe, psychically speaking?"

Then Frode made a face. "And no, I'm not waking the Emperor right now. He's staying asleep even if I have to replace his entire bloodstream with elephant tranquilizers. The Imperium of Man isn't stable enough to have that magnitude of change right now. Besides which, I doubt even that idiot Deadpool's healing factor could overcome ten thousand years of decay that quickly. If I rush the wakeup without allowing for a good bit of healing time first, the shock might straight-up kill the Emperor, which would kind of defeat the purpose of repairing the Golden Throne in the first place."

He waved a hand, and the smartphone-sized, curved slabs-of-metal-with-buttons hovering in front of the other Jumpers' faces wiggled a bit, as if for attention. "These should either protect us from Nurgle when we go into the Warp, or else hopefully repair us faster than he can do damage. A word of warning, though- nanobot cell repair is very taxing. If you have to allow the nanocloud inside your body for repairs, do not use them a second longer than necessary; there are a number of extremely unpleasant side-effects of over-exposure, from scar tissue in... less than ideal places... to organ damage to dying of starvation where you stand. I'm hoping that the external nanocloud will protect us. If not, though, nanite cell repair is the best solution I have on hand against plague magic."

"In any case, I'm hoping that repairing the Golden Throne will allow the Imperial Webway project to restart... although there was one thing... I saw something about anti-psychic material that the Eldar used to protect their webway that the humans could not duplicate."

Frode hesitated, a bit awkwardly, and gestured vaguely at Kaerabryn. "I don't believe we were introduced, but you did say you were an Eldar. Do you know if your people have examples of that material, or the ability to produce it anymore? I am able to create psionic dampers easily enough, but they rely on a generated energy field that is susceptible to the power flow being disrupted. If there is a material that produces the same effect passively, it would be a great help to protecting the new extensions on the Webway." He paused, again, and added "And in any case, I've found that using the same processes and materials to expand on an existing project means that there will be a lot fewer teething problems since you don't have to struggle to integrate two different systems to do the same job side-by-side, and without interfering with one another."

Then he turned to Ensara. "As I've said a few times now, you're more than welcome to explore my sub-warehouses when we have a little downtime. There are examples of Clarketech from three universes in there, along with hybrid technologies I have created over the course of slightly over three thousand years. And I don't mind at all sharing this knowledge perk with you, at least once I figure out how it works well enough to use it safely... and to be able to have that information anywhere aside from locked inside my head. Maybe in my cybertronian form..?"

"And as far as social reform goes, any one of us, as Jumpers, have the personal power to change the course of empires on a whim. You'd be amazed how far 'play nice, or your toys will be taken away' can go in the right circumstances. And if those who are currently in power won't play nice? Well, a stasis prison keeps them out of our way while retaining them should we happen to need their knowledge for something." Frode shrugged. "And if need be, a Life-Model Decoy of them would ease the transition of power to someone more amenable to what we are trying to do. Although there we'd have to be a little careful- without a full engram transfer, it's easy for LMDs to be exposed, and if they have a full engram transfer, you might as well not have replaced the person."

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

10. - Top - End - #220

"I don't think so. If you mean the emperor's Anathema thing, the anti-chaos... thing he does... I think that's a unique aspect of his nature. If you wanted me to replicate that, I'd need to... Honestly, it'd probably be easier to just become a Living Saint for Real."

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #221

"Oh, no, sorry- I meant the... glowy faith-magic... thing some people do around here that seems to be the Emperor's power, somehow. I'd hoped you'd seen it and could imitate it enough to show me. Unless that's an aspect of his Anathema thing? I don't really need to use it against Chaos, I just wanted to use it in the Imperial Palace to make it seem like my popping up was an Emperor-blessing instead of... well, me. I'm assuming that the Custodes have some psykers, or at least some psychic sensitivity, so I want to feel right to them, if I can. If not, I'll just go and hope that they'll be confused long enough for me to do what I'm doing."

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    She will take the nanobots
    "Sorry, got caught up in presenting possible options. Thanks Frode I'll take them just in case I need them. Maybe you guys should get them to.....just in case? can't hurt to have a back up defense in any case.

Actually there is no evidence that the Custodes have any psykers. and I doubt they will be confused. They are extremely disciplined super-soldiers as far above Space Marines as they are above humans. From Rhiannon has told me, they do training drills in case of an attack on the Emperor constantly. You might show up in the middle of one of those mock battles.

Anyways...we seem to have a lot of ideas, though I think some like rescuing Isha are good and getting in good with Cegorach and the Black Library those are probably all good moves, others we can probably work on."

Rhiannon says
    "Yeah, surprising the Custodes is probably not a good idea. Wait can't we like try to find the Primarchs to help if the Emperor is off the table? Surely if any of them can be found they'd help, and well.....its well known where Roboute Guilliman rests in stasis: on his homeworld of Macragge in the Shrine of Guilliman. Guilliman was a loyalist, he'd fight against Chaos if nothing else."
    "That sounds...."
    Ensara starts to say, pausing
    Doooo it. Revive Guilliman (I/We/Everyone/No one) dare yoooouuuu.
    I'm not making a deal with you
    Offer's always open regardless! I'll/We'll sweeten the deal and also give you Magnus's soul if you help get out of this universe in addition to what We/I offered earlier.
    Wait what? Liar. You'd never part with a prize that big.
    Maybe. Maybe not. I'm always open to change. How about (Us/You/I/Someone) throw in giving you the souls of the Thousand Sons legion too? You can be a hero, save everyone's favorite primarch and his sons from my clutches! after all everyone knows Magnus Did Nothing Wrong! (Or did he?) I/You certainly believe it! Or do I/We/Someone Else?
    Shut up Tzeentch
    As a limited time offer while Isha is imprisoned I'll throw in some advice on screwing over my oldest enemy Nurgle! After all, I love helping/betraying my frenemies! We're frenemies right?
    No. Go away before I decide to punch you before Khorne
    Ohohoho, don't think this is the end....I have more things up my sleeves...

The telepathic whispering stops.
    "....like a potential idea. any of us know what Roboute Guilliman was like?"

13. - Top - End - #223

"Sorry, not my aesthetic. If I just go pure magic I mostly use what Strangefate was using. Otherwise, it's green fire and energy."

"As for waking up... Wait, Roboty Girlyman isn't awake yet? I don't know what he's like as a person but what little I know of the 'official' history is that once he wakes up he starts un****ing the mess that was the Empire and pulls out some secret projects... In the extremely long run it might make defeating the Empire harder if that ends up being something that needs to be done, but like, unless our benefactors abandoned us here or stuck us into some kind of scenario that involves fixing this hellhole no matter how long it takes none of us will be around that long. Otherwise, I can't think of any downsides."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2023-05-05 at 07:47 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #224

"Fair enough." Frode told Alexandra, as the phone-sized mass of metal disintegrated before streaming back into his pockets. "Roboty? Huh, one I heard was Rowboat..." he added, mostly to himself.

"Alright, I'll just jump and use the 'glorious flare of golden light' trick, along with... eh, maybe the opening bit of Also Sprach Zarathustra blasting out of thin air for some drama. If they start shooting at me, so be it... if they can get through my TARDIS forcefield, they still have to be able to damage my hull, and even if they have enough firepower to do that... which honestly isn't terribly likely... they still have to damage it faster than my powers can repair it. I'll be back in a few minutes, most likely."

And with that, he flowed back into TARDIS form and faded out with the signature '*VWOORP VWOORP VWOORP*'

Barring anything extremely unusual, he'll appear in the throneroom just above the Emperor's seat on the Golden throne as a blaze of formless golden light with thunderous music, then the glow will 'settle' on the Throne before fading away as he merges his physical form with the machinery, using his abilities to learn about it extremely rapidly and his technokinesis to rearrange things, or even create entirely new parts, as needed.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

The Golden Throne:
    You are here:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Custodes guarding the Emperor see you and are unaffected by any music or showmanship. They are not just bodyguards for the Emperor, but scholars, artisans, counselors who guard not only his body but his ideals and vision for Mankind. They know he wouldn't want to be considered a god and would not be fooled by anyone trying to appear as holy. As the best warriors in all the Imperium, they automatically get ready and vox the entire palace that an intruder is in the Throne Room. They ready their Guardian Spears but you merge into the machinery and they stop before they fire and damage the systems keeping the Emperor and the Imperium alive.
    "....We have a Daemon in Golden Throne. Has signs of possession." one concludes. The others agree, a Daemon possessing the Throne seems to match with what they know of things.
    "Question, what do we do?"
    "If its a Daemon a Sister of Silence from the Chamber Astra will get rid of it. Call some here."
    They vox again again for a Sister of Silence to respond to a situation, not telling anyone outside the Custodes or the Sisters that the Golden Throne has been possessed as they do not want to cause a panic. The Sisters of Silence are incredibly strong blanks that would null any daemons like this.

When the Sisters of Silence arrive, their Blank powers will cancel any explicitly psychic powers you have. You have until that time to fix this, assuming your technopathic powers rely on purely psionic medium and doesn't have some non-psychic sci-fi basis- if they do, they will have no affect on you anyways.

Regardless the Palace now on guard, believing that a Daemon is possessing the Golden Throne. They all have stopped their usual Blood Games and are now organizing their forces in preparation to defend against a Daemon attack from the Golden Throne- you have a feeling that they've prepared even for this. But something weird when they come to evacuate the tech priests that maintain the Throne:
    "Why would we leave, Custodes? The numbers on the screens we have are suddenly getting better- energy efficiency is rising rapidly, functions are being restored. We do not know why, but the Machine God is clearly granting us a miracle in reward for 10,000 years of faith in the Omnissiah. Our constant maintenance-rites, our enduring faith to fix the Throne no matter how bad it got, this was clearly all a test. The Machine God rewards the patient, the knowledge-seekers who respect the machine spirits, we who clad ourselves in the flesh of iron. Praise the Omnissiah, Praise the Machine God!"
    "Tech Priest, this could all be a trick of Chaos! They are deceptive!"
    "You have been fighting Daemons for other ten thousand years underneath this very Palace, honored Custodes. You know what how quickly they make machines turn upon us immediately. This working is too meticulous, too beneficial to be a Daemon. It is doing nothing but restoring the Golden Throne to its previous, optimal functionality. It must be the Machine God, come to be our salvation in these most sacred of repairs."
    "A Daemon that repairs things? That.....makes no sense."
    "Indeed. Logically, it must not be a Daemon. Therefore the Machine God, or at least a dormant Machine Spirit, now awakened. Perhaps one of our most recent maintenance cycles allowed the machine spirit of the Golden Throne to awaken and begin self-repair rituals."
    "I am not believing it is your Machine God or a machine spirit for a second. Something is happening here and we need to find out what."
    The Custodes turns to another
    "Send out an order to the rest of Terra, investigate everywhere, there might be some Chaos cult that summoned the Daemon, and disrupting their ritual might make the daemon go away. Don't tell anyone about the Golden Throne, just make a surprise inspection of all of Terra, get rid of any Chaos Cult you can find."
    "and if we end up killing innocents?" another asks
    "Terra is overpopulated anyways, any dead will be one less mouth to feed and more room for the rest. If that doesn't work we will call the Inquisition, see if they have any ideas."
    They have a lower chance of killing the wrong people than most of the Imperium, but the chance of that isn't zero.

Ensara:
    She will say
    "...I should probably stay out of this, Frode did say he's probably going to be back real quick."
    She will continue practicing Cosmos techniques, using Ki to turn into a Nebula and back to teleport around short distances.
    "......dueling a Custodes might be cool though."

16. - Top - End - #226

Frode gave a mental shrug when the Custode got all agitated and set to work. The bulk of his consciousness got busy analysing the oddball cybernetics and psionic circuitries within the Golden Throne, while a small portion of himself maintained situational awareness.

Any attempts to summon the Sisters of Silence remotely would be thwarted by a perfectly normal break in the vox wiring, a bit of long-standing wear in an out-of-the-way place, a break that only the most sensitive of chroniton particle detectors would notice as being out of the ordinary. While Frode wouldn't be 'excorcised' by the area being Blanked, it would slow the repair process unacceptably, as he'd have to rely on his cybertronian transforming abilities to continue, rather than his vastly faster and more reliable psionically-based techokinesis.

The area where psykers were sacrificed suddenly shimmered very faintly, as the final sacrifice was suspended in time just after their death. A minor variant of the Time Lord's Eye of Harmony technology caught the final, post-death explosion of psionic energy in an eternal potential state that levelled out all energy needs permanently, with a healthy reserve for the extremely unlikely event that something appeared that could tamper with the delicately balanced temporal equation. Then a forcefield closed off the area for a week or so, until the Imperials could stop being over-excitable idiots and notice that there was no further need for sacrifices, and, for that matter, no further sacrifices were possible, as the raging psionic energies of the new Eye of Harmony blocked off the area to all but the most powerful of Blanks, and even they would be hard-pressed to get more than a metre or two in.

As his powers worked through the Throne in a tide of re-forming technology, Frode noticed that a great deal of psychic energy was being expended to keep the Imperial Webway Gate closed. A twitch of effort, and two tiny nodes grew in the corners of the Gate arch, amidst the ornate engravings that the Imperials seemed to be compelled to plaster all over everything. And the most powerful Blanking field that the Custodes were ever likely to have encountered snapped into existence, completely sealing off that area from the Warp. The controls were accessible to the Emperor, as were all aspects of the Throne, but until he woke up or was replaced, it's not likely anybody would even be able to find the psi-blockers, much less turn them off.

Hurrying to finish, Frode wasn't able to upgrade the Throne as much as he would have liked. The psyker sacrifice was emphatically done, the mechanisms were fully repaired and, in fact, self-repairing (although not self-upgrading, the EmpeBorg was not something anybody needed) so that the Emperor was once again healing, rather than decaying, the Webway Gate was sealed until someone who was better able to deal with it came along, and he'd even managed to up the gain on the Astronomican so that it shone brighter with less effort on the Emperor's part. But there was other work he would have liked to do. Even so, time was running out, so he disengaged in another blaze of glorious golden light and warped silently away.

Frode reappeared on the Sabre with the usual *VWOORP*-ing, shifting into human form before he'd even fully materialized.

"Well, that was fun. These Custodes of yours do love to get all worked up about everything, don't they? In any case, the Emperor is healing again, although it will probably be decades yet before he wakes up, barring me being able to go back and upgrade the Throne a bit. Repairs are easy, creating and upgrades take a little longer."

He smiled at some private joke, and added "So, shall we go annoy Nurgle and blow up lots and lots of Daemons?"

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

17. - Top - End - #227

"...Why do I suddenly get the feeling that we're going to regret this? Anyway, I'd feel better if we had some sort of dedicated anti-chaos effect but... As far as I know all the blessed weaponry the Imperium has needs someone to die to make it work."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

The Ship

Edward also takes the healing thing, less worried about the nanites' possible effects on his long-term biology due to the nature of his healing powers.

When Frode disappears, so does Edward, getting up and walking to the nearest door to access his Warehouse. Whilst inside, he'll use his Slow Time shout to give him more time, and gets changed. He puts on a great deal of gold jewellery, with rings on every finger and toe, several chains about his neck, wincing as he pierces his ears to put gold studs in the lobes, and bracelets and anklets about his limbs. Then he'll put on a suit of armour made from dragon scales reinforced with dragon bone, Mehrune's Razor sheathed at his waist, and finally grabs a pistol from the crate of spares he stole from the Dunwall City Watch twenty years earlier, holding the whale-lock device to give it to Frode to tweak and improve.

"I don't have anything blessed, but this time I'm far more ready than I was last go around." Since he's not in his fancy suit and armed only with a single-shot pistol and a duelling cane.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Domino Effect: Golden Throne
    A tech priest calls
    "Custodes! Something....strange has happened. Even more miraculous than we thought!"
    "What?"
    "The psychic energy supply as become.....endless. The Golden Throne is being supplied with energy.....even though no sacrifices are being made. The readings can't be from residual psychic energy from the last psyker alone, its too much. Somehow, the Golden Throne is not only repaired, its somehow powered without sacrifice, and the Astronomicon is shining bright than ever! Its been improved!"
    "WHAT!?" the Custodes nearby exclaims "But- but how!?"
    "As we've told you. It is a miracle from the Machine God, clearly rewarding for our faith and long efforts to keep the Omnissiah alive."
    "What am I going to tell the Adeptus Astronomica? The Black Ships?"
    "The good news, I would guess. Such sacrifices would be inefficient and needless now."
    "I'm getting the Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica here, he can tell us if there is a Daemon"
    Soon they get him here after using her divinatory sense says
    "I sense no Daemon here. Only the Emperor's power and presence as always"
    "What? There's no Daemon?"
    the Custodes radios the rest
    "Call off the purge. A miracle has happened We have to protect the Golden Throne even more now."

But when they get back they discover they no longer need to fight the Daemons under the palace.
    "If so, what is our actions then?"
    "We still must protect the Golden Throne, but if its not actively being attacked, perhaps there is some merit in lifting the Edict of Restraint to fight in other places in the Imperium."
    says one of the Custodes
    "We'll have adjust our guard for a new rotation of those who go on missions and those who stay to protect the Palace then..."

Soon they tell the Master of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, and the Master of the Astronomican.
    "What do you MEAN we no longer need sacrifices!?" the MotA says "That isn't how it has worked for ten thousand years! The latest Chosen have been waiting for their chance for months, they dedicate the last remaining days of their existence to this and now your saying its unneeded!? This is insulting to my Adeptus, we should be able to sacrifice our lives gloriously for him!"
    The Custodes says
    "That is what the tech priest is claiming, and it seems be functioning. Maybe it truly is a miracle? Perhaps the Emperor somehow fixed it with his will?"
    "But then why didn't he do so.....before?" The MotAAT asks
    "I have no idea, The Emperor's plans are his own. It is not for anyone to question this."
    "Well....that doesn't matter. What matters is that we have thousands of excess psykers of low grade too weak to be sanctioned being gathered by the Black Ships, sacrificing them to the Emperor was how we dealt with them, but now we have to figure what to do about them now that we can't do that." says the MotAAT
    "Indeed, thousands of low level psykers is thousands of potential Daemon possessions for every tithe the Black Ships gather. We need to plug these holes in our security." the MotA says
    A Tech priest speaks up
    "Perhaps they can be converted into servitors instead, serving the Imperium with their sacrifice in other ways. The low level psykers not worthy of sanctioning become servitors while killing them, would be
    a better end than them being possessed by demons and they can help with labor across the Imperium. The job of the Black Ships would barely have to change."
    The MotA gets angry at this
    "How dare you replace the righteous sacrifice to the Emperor with becoming a common servitor! The Astronomican's Chosen once served the highest purpose, the highest sacrifice in the Imperium, and you suggest we let our fellow psykers simply die for your Mechanicus's drudge work!?"
    The Custodes says
    "This clearly needs some thought, perhaps even take the matter to all the High Lords of Terra, but we will need to inform the black ships of this regardless"
    The fate of the weaker psykers will be left uncertain for now.

Astropath messages are sent across the Imperium to all known Black Ships of the news, many of them in the middle of gathering psykers. They are instructed to keep gathering them and sorting them to prove whether they are worthy of sanctioning, but that what will be done with the weaker ones is yet to be determined in the light of this miracle of the Emperor. Inquisitors will know sooner or later and speak of just shooting them, but others will argue back that its not worth wasting the ammo when they need to spend it on their enemies. Others among the Radical factions want to use them for some of their darker experiments...

Many psykers across the Imperium used to using the Emperor's Tarot to foretell the future oddly enough, feel as if the cards are a little more.....hopeful for the lack of a better term. As if some doom has bene postponed, or is gone. They can't quite tell, but foretellings of good fortune happen just a little bit more.

Finally, far away, out on the frontier, Rogue Traders notice the light of Emperor get brighter. If its even visible even a few hundred lightyears longer, then many new sectors have opened up for exploration and the brave or foolish now plunge into sectors where the Emperor's light once never shone, the Imperium's expansion always having been limited by the beacon that is its heart. Rogue Traders now daring to map new solar systems and sectors.

The Sabre:
    Astropath Xiao says
    "By the Emperor.....what did he do? its....shining so brightly....wait receiving message from Eldrad of Ulth'we.....he is going to project an image of himself on deck to talk to you directly."
    an astropathic image of Eldrad appears in front of you all, looking.....flabbergasted and confused.
    "How did you do that!? My visions of doom about Terra exploding and a chaos god of hatred and zealotry emerging have simply....stopped. Wait....the Emperor? HEALING!? DECADES!? That might as well be very little time at all for my people! The Emperor returning even in a few decades is bad news for the rest of the galaxy.....You have definitely stopped a greater doom, though a lesser one comes for anyone who isn't human farther down the line. I have to warn the rest of the Craftworlds....the Eldar need to prepare for his return, NOW, the preparation of today is the salvation of tomorrow."
    He will reply if you have anything to say to him, otherwise his image flickers out.
    "Oh we're fighting Nurgle demons? sounds like a great time! As for dedicated anti-Chaos effect....I can extend a field of reality that ensures things works by the laws of Creation within it, usually used to travel through the Wyld, but the Warp is similar enough that it'll protect us and I can kill any spirits permanently, all using my Infernal Exalted charms. My Lore and Occult chamrs basically make me a walking zone of order in there that will make them all vulnerable to any of you killing them if they get within my range. As for blessing all your weapons...."
    Ensara will think
    "Let me look into what I've been possibly working on."
    A strange blue dragon wing unfurls from Ensara's back, and within the wing opens a portal which she looks through. If one looks through it as well, they see, bizarrely many other Ensara's working on many projects using some golden material, as if all the projects were ones that she could've possibly been working on while you weren't looking. She reaches in and-
    [ORAMUS THINGS HAPPEN]
    -You each suddenly have a golden orichalcum weapon expressing either the themes of the holy might of the Unconquered Sun or the sorcerous primordial order of the Yozis, either way you remember Ensara informing you they are designed to be a divine demon-killing weapon or other artifact. The specific weapon you get is what you'd prefer that Ensara somehow plausibly guessed using her Exalted insight into your personality and preferences, and she has just given you them from pulling them from the wing. She is now talking as if she just told you what weapon you have been given and explaining how they work:
    "-These weapons are designed with ease of your use in mind, and due to the power of Evocations the more you wield them, the more tricks you can figure out with them for your personal use and legend, normally artifacts like this only work for Exalts, but I've managed to figure out a trick to make any sufficiently powerful being to attune to them. Also if your confused, some of my Crafting charms allow me to work on on possible projects then collapse the metaphorical wave function to make sure the project I'm working on is one that was needed. Its Oramus "pull things out of the could-be to make what is" nonsense, I don't recommend thinking about it unless your a Time Lord or something, but don't worry no actual time travel is involved, just possibility manipulation. Keep in mind: these aren't ordinary weapons, they are demon slaying wonders! They don't have a legend now, but they will acquire one with use, probably with a cool name even if you name it yourself and will grow as they acquire a history."
    What weapons or other demon-killing artifact did she give the three of you? If you don't care, by default she will just give you a holy orichalcum sword that kills demons with the power of the sun, but aside from being made of orichalcum, you can determine what weapon/artifact your given pretty flexibly, as they are intended to help and work with you and your preferences.

20. - Top - End - #230

Frode nodded in satisfaction as his work was confirmed by the various reports coming in. When Eldrad popped up and complained, the rangy viking gave him an offended look. "You think I am going to leave a job half finished? Without intervention, it will be decades, but unless I die to something stupid, I'm going to go back to Terra and fix things up to wake him a lot sooner than that. And then, we are going to have words about how he treats those who are not human. And when we are done, he will either have amended his attitude, or I will be leaving in a box. And even if I do leave in a box, it's still better than yet another Chaos idiot rampaging all over the galaxy."

Then he turned to Edward and gave a low whistle. "Now that is a look. Practical, too." he added as his extra-human senses analyzed the forces involved and what would be needed just to have a chance at getting through the dragonscales and -bone. "Now, let me have a look at this..." he murmured as the gun floated out of Edward's hand to rotate slowly in front of him. Then it floated back to Edward as metals streamed out of Frode's pouches and off still more of the tacky skull decorations in the room. A pair of pistols that were, to all appearances, nearly identical to Edward's original pistol, formed rapidly in midair.

They formed fully and dropped into Frode's waiting hands, as he hefted them experimentally, flicked a nearly-hidden switch on the side a few times, and then he nodded again, floating them over to Edward. "These are relatively simple, but I've added a few modes and upped the firepower a bit. Oh, and they no longer take ammo, they run off of paired arc reactors in the grip and use hard-light bullets. In base mode, they use a pulsed plasma charge bullet that..." Frode did a quick mental calculation based on what he knew of Space Marine armour... "That should burn through about three of those big armoured Chaos Marines in a row before it slows down too much. Should probably get through most tank armour, too. Tap the trigger sideways once for burst fire, twice for full-auto. For alternate fire modes, there's the constant-stream unibeam effect- it's a particle beam that could carve a tank in half fairly casually if you want, although the intensity is variable, you can even go full non-lethal and get a stun effect. You can fire that for about ten seconds before the reactors need to cycle and go into a three-second cooldown. And finally, there's explosive pellets. Anti-materiel rounds that I would advise against using indoors unless you are in a very big hurry to be outdoors. The guns will protect you from the initial blowback with on-the-fly shaped charges, but they can't protect you from a building dropping on your head after you took out multiple support pillars. Oh. There is still recoil and a noise when you fire, but they're entirely artificial; the guns can be perfectly silent and have zero recoil, if you want. I mostly left them in so that you could get used to the changes more gradually."

Frode finished, then paused. "Hopefully that's good enough."

As Oramus things happened, Frode tilted his head to one side, studying the temporal and probabilistic forces at play. "Interesting." he commented. "If you do go to the Whoniverse next, though, be very careful doing things like that, or you might find paradoxes attempting to eat your head. Or you could end up with nonsense like the Could've Been King or the Meanwhiles and Neverweres. Or the Time Lords could just try to unwind you from time." With that, he fell silent again, aside from the occasional appreciative murmur as he spotted improvements amongst the Ensara-work that he could integrate into his own designs.

And then his orichalcum weapon appeared. If it wasn't for the Imperial's insistence on needlessly huge rooms with high, vaulted ceilings, it wouldn't have fit. At just over twelve metres long, the enormous plasma cannon looked more suited to being part of the main battery of a pocket battlecruiser, which, unsurprisingly, is exactly what it was in another universe. Frode hefted it casually with his technokinesis and looked it over carefully. It wasn't a perfect match for his own work, but that was probably to be expected. Then he listened carefully, and a slow smile spread across his craggy face.

"With the power of the sun, neh? I thought that was basically what a five megatonne per second plasma cannon was doing anyways." he said with a small chuckle. "And I don't think this one will need a name beyond the one it already has: Hellbore." And with that, he relaxed, hovering the huge cannon out of the way and relaxing, waiting for the others to prepare themselves for a jump into the Warp to confront Nurgle. Or whoever Nurgle had guarding Isha, anyways.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-07 at 09:27 PM.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

21. - Top - End - #231

Alexandra's weapon takes the form of a Roman gladius.

"Hmm. Not inappropriate."

"...Wait, if you wanna have words with the Emperor we can do that now. Don't even have to go to Earth, like... My telepathic range was measured in Lightyears before forty years of secondary mutations and there's kind of this huge beacon drawing attention to his general direction. Unless you're immune to telepathy I can link us up and then have a chat."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #232

"I appreciate the offer," Frode told Alexandra, "but I would prefer to wait, for two reasons. One is that I want to be able to punch him in the head if need be, and the other is that I actually am immune to telepathy. Well, sort of. My mind is structured a bit oddly, and even before I got multiple brain-upgrading perks, Emma Frost described trying to read me as 'like trying to read thousands of books when they're being fired at your face at machinegun speed'. I can hold a surface conversation if I'm careful, but trying to have an argument that way isn't likely to end well."
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-07 at 10:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Edward takes the orichalcum weapon; in his case, an elegant walking-stick, weighted and balanced the same as the duelling cane he's been carrying with him the whole time, a single-handed cudgel. Of course, the one he carried was made entirely out of wood to make it impossible to be pushed or pulled by allomancers; that, however, is a very slight chance here, and orichalcum might be immune to it anyway.

"Thank you. It was tricky making it, but well worth it I think." Edward has worn the suit before, though not often; it's the pinnacle of the blacksmith's art, or near it, and it took a long time for Edward to gain the skills necessary to produce it. He'll take the pistols with a smile, belting them onto his waist. "Thank you for these, as well. If ever you need fuel for whatever purpose, I owe you... probably as much whale oil as I can synthesise quickly. I'd give you some anyway, but it is highly volatile. It won't explode in my warehouse, it might if I tried moving it and something went wrong." And getting attacked or having a gravity malfunction or many other things could result in the tank receiving a solid-enough whack that it explodes.

24. - Top - End - #234

Frode nodded to Edward. "Thank you, but do not feel that you need to owe me anything. I build for the joy of it, most of the time."

Then he stretched a little and... shifted, flowing up and out into the form of a giant robot. At nearly three stories tall, Frode towered above the rest of the group in his cybertronian form. White with silver highlights, with royal blue where the parts of the TARDIS exterior formed part of his body, he shifted position, stretching out and then carefully spinning the Hellbore cannon around a few times, obviously getting a feel for it in this form also.

Then he changed with the iconic transforming noise, folding in on himself until he was in the familiar blue box shape. "All aboard for the plague planet, I guess, unless somebody else has a more precise idea; with my sensors, I can get us to the right planet and in the correct general vicinity, within a couple of kilometres, at least, but nothing closer than that. Past a certain point, his power saturates the area so strongly that everything looks like Nurgle." he said, the TARDIS doors sliding open.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-10 at 05:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Ensara:
    "I would not worry about, Edward. Orichalcum is a mythic very durable version of "mountain bronze/copper" neither of which are magnetic much like aluminum. More importantly, I doubt your going to encounter any mistborn or mistings this far from Scadrial unless some evil jumper playing at being a wannabe Lord Ruler shows up."
    She comments
    "And if that happens, we'd have more problems than just that. Really unlucky that would be."
    She sees Frode shapeshifting and quickly utters a blue mana spell and her magic keeps him from getting too big, the Sabre isn't a ship full of wide open spaces for him to exist like that, especially not the command deck where people discuss plans. Its not as if they're in the hangar or anything. She will otherwise go into the Tardis however and send Prolimas, one of her second circle souls to gather various blueprints from Frode's warehouse while she is there.

Also when you check your tech, the Garden of Nurgle isn't a planet. Daemon Worlds are comparatively shallow places in the Warp compared to where your going. The Garden of Nurgle is a vast realm home to every pox and affliction imaginable, the domain of a Chaos God, normal physics breaks down completely and is more a seemingly endless hell bordered by three other hells in some eternal war, and thus is too far away from reality to have planets. Also given the constant shifting nature of time and space in the Warp, a consistent materium measurement like "kilometres" doesn't actually mean anything. Like to clarify: your not walking into some static realm where everything works the way you expect it to work. Your going into The Immaterium. A place of thought, emotion and desire whose lack of material rules is what allows people to ignore the speed of light in the first place despite its many dangers. Much of how it works is closer to the wibbly-wobbliness of time than anything safe or sane, and Ensara will explain as much, given that she has experienced a similar realm once, but that is a story for another day. Clarketech? Materium? Necrontech? All of those? Safe, Sane and Consistent compared to the Warp. Because its not about the tech or any concept being advanced or incomprehensible, its about the nature of the Warp being dangerous and unpredictable in the state that is in.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Ensara

"Allomancy is not magnetism. Iron and steel push and pull, it's true, but they can push or pull any metal. Brass, copper, gold, silver. Aluminium has... other properties in Scadrial. It's mystically dead, except to those allomancers and feruchemists who can actually use it within their spheres." This is true across the Cosmere of Brandon Sanderson; aluminium can't be soulcast on Roshar, or forged on Sel, or awakened on Nalthis. "You are right, however, it should be safe. Any wannabe Lord Rulers here will go to Earth. The Emperor's reasonably similar, in an 'undying tyrant' way. I'm... used to having my cane, so I've never had much need to learn how to use a sword." And if the cane's been invested with supernatural power enough, that should also help. A feruchemist's metalminds are harder to push and pull the more they store.

Although, I believe technically that information regarding aluminium's mystic deadness wasn't revealed until it became slightly more common during the sequel trilogy, and Edward likely never saw aluminium on Scadrial and probably shouldn't know about its spiritual properties- especially as he's neither a coinshot nor an ironpull, and couldn't discover its allomantic inertness himself.

To Frome, Edward smiles. "I may be offering because I'm curious what you could do with the stuff, though it should perhaps wait. I've yet to find a suitable source to replicate it from, here." Horker blubber mixed with troll fat was suitable on Skyrim, though tricky and rather dangerous to try harvesting. With that, however, he's ready to embark upon Frome and ride him into Nurgle.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2023-05-13 at 09:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Onward, to the Garden of Nurgle:
    Okay you teleport off to the Garden of Nurgle, leaving the Sabre behind, hopefully only for now.

You arrive in the Garden of Nurgle. Ensara steps outside first to behold....an endless thick jungle-swamp of both growth and decay. The air is thick, and rank with a thousand unspeakable odors both mundane, and supernatural and worse. The very ground feels soft, marshy and squishy like moss and boils, with what looks like pus and other fluids squelching out with every step, there is fungus everywhere on every tree and bush covering everything like a cancer but this doesn't mean much because the trees look like cancer as well. Where there isn't fungus is filth, and what isn't growing is rapidly wilting, rotting and decaying- but every time something dies, new things are born from the corpses: a greenish crows its bones expose keels over, only for infested maggots and insects to spring forth and eat the fallen bird and scatter. The whole garden just from this one view is a twisted parody of the natural cycle of life and death, of nature, a dark vision of mortality, life, birth and death. Furthermore, the some trees aren't really trees but.....animal flesh, human flesh with bones jutting out of them, made of corpses melting together, dripping green ichor that melts whatever it touches, its all putrid, twisted and foul.

Even now, however, the ground begins to shift and change under Ensara, the location starting to morph in various ways, not having much permanence or stability in more ways than one. She yells
    "Chaos-Repelling Pattern! Infernal Version!"
    She forms various mudras and a circle of magical green flame spreads out from her, out to a short range all chaos is burned away, not harming anyone but stabilizing the ground and physics around her so that they become static and won't warp or twisted anyone, as anything within the circle now abides by the Laws of Creation. All this does is protect people from chaotic reality that could warp you in ways you don't want, it doesn't do anything else in case your concerned. Though given its an Infernal Charm and not a Solar charm, its probably doing something like turning the ground within the circle to crystal or brass as well as flavor, its stable though
    "Okay its safe now, as long as you stay in the green circle I have up."
    One can see the landscape shifting outside the circle she made, the circle she has being this stable island in the rest of the Garden slowly changing and shifting, plants visibly blossoming and dying before your eyes as if fast motion, yet somehow still gradual. From the ground, the trees and from all around you, nurglings, bloat flies, and green zombies and various rotting beasts begin to gather, every single one of them smiling if their mouths haven't already rotted off. You hear a disgusting vile, rumbling voice in the distance, speaking in a slow deep mucous-like drawl:
    "Why have you arrived? Look upon my Garden. Is this not.....what you all fight for? All living beings, living and dying in joy. The natural course of all things is to decay, and there will always be an ending to lead to another beginning. Growth, Decay....these are not opposed but one and the same, for all things consume other things. But then again, perhaps you don't understand, taken in by that Tzeentch's lie of progress. Don't worry. Like a caring father, I will infect you with my gifts and you will know real joy in despair, and real change in inevitability...."
    A couple zombies cross the line and attack Ensara and she quickly pulls out an orichalcum sword: The Devil-Devouring Blade, golden blade with a patina of green upon it, looking like some big anime buster sword with with mouths and teeth on it, as if there was a hunger for the flesh of demons and she slices through the zombies and the blade chomps down on a rushing nurgling and devours it.
    "Yeah yeah, whatever. I've heard better speeches on that sort of thing from Chosen of Endings Sidereals, and your nowhere near as good as any of them."

28. - Top - End - #238

Alex steps out and immediately feels revulsion at the twisted, corrupted mockery of the cycle of life, death, and rebirth she sees... It's good that she left the girls behind. Rose had a connection to the Green, even being here would probably do her deep spiritual damage.

Or drive her into a rage.

Still, Alex has a job to do.

With their Exalted leader handling melee duties, Alex decides to take a slightly different approach.

Alex holds out her hand and it ignites in green flames. With Ensaras' reality imposition, the chaotic nature of the magical component of the Green Flame shouldn't act against her."And I shall shed my light over dark evil, for the dark things cannot stand the light, the light of the Starheart!"

With that, a focused beam of green light shines from the flames in her hand in a wide cone, which she shines upon the ground and the trees, and so on in a particular direction...

The light contains high concentrations of various forms of harmful radiation. Uv Rays, EM-radiation, alpha, beta, and gamma rays just to be tough, visible light, raw heat... Basically, the purpose is to cook and irradiate to death any and al corrupted life in the area, down to the level of individual cells and virions. As rapidly as possible.

Generating different kinds of energy is naturally a product of the Greenlight and thus her namesake the starheart, and the Human Toch could likewise generate heat and radiation, Alex's Humanlanter Power would be easily capable of this without any further enhancements... But given things Bull**** the GM and her forthy Years of passive growth Secondary Mutation, she can push it even further than that...

Her raw control over her power is enough that nothing directly in the beam should so much as notice a fraction of a degree o temperature increase, but otherwise it's an instant kill aura...

...and of course, all of that is enhanced by magic and her Will.

...And thanks to her ability to derive alchemical formulas and establish mystical connections, she can also use her psychokinetic powers to reinforce all aspects and her telepathy to reinforce her raw will, her powers of electromagnetism to add even more heat, different shades of light, and more EM radiation, he EM aspects of her weather control to boost her EM powers and thus the death ray, and her power cosmic to supercharge all of the above.

Alex's theory is that, since this is the Warp, that these objects are both part of Nurgle and representative of his influence in the material world. Burning his harden to the ground should both lessen his power in the material world and harm/weaken him directly.

And if not, she's still sterilizing potential vectors for disease and you can't be too careful about this kind of thing.

"You know, I probably could have afforded an indigo ring and lantern if I tweaked my build slightly. Took a few more drawbacks. Could have used the light of compassion to just exorcise this crap directly."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Gardening Nurgle

Edward also strides out, before blinking over to the shadows and skulking. Let the others attract all the attention; they can handle it. He'll stay in the shadows, striking where he's hopefully least expected, when and as he must.

He is drawing on the stored health in his collection of gold jewellery, boosting his immune system to fight off any pathogens that he inhales or comes into contact with.

30. - Top - End - #240

"Squishy." Frode commented as he unfolded into giant robot mode, vaulting to his feet as the last of his fellow-jumpers cleared his doors.

Then he froze for a brief moment as faint lights danced around him, his enormous golden plasma cannon, the Hellbore, popping into existence in the air next to him.

Then he straightened up, the faintest ghost of light trailing his movements. To anyone who could see deeper into the EM spectrum, though, he was lit up like a nuclear Christmas tree at a rave.

The outermost layer was the TARDIS forcefield; next was two slightly separated layers of hard-light armour, and in between them was enough ionizing radiation to sterilize a mid-sized city if the various shields dropped.

And all around were dancing firefly sparks as his personal nanocloud sought airborne disease particles and destroyed them in bursts of kamikaze plasma. If Nurgle wanted to infect him, Nurgle was going to have to work for it. Assuming Nurgle could infect giant robots in the first place.

He waved his cannon and called "I have an Aeldari psionic energy signature... that... way?" He made a frustrated noise. The shifting nature of the Warp was fighting any attempt he made to give a definite direction.

"Alexandra, can you confirm?" he asked. If two of the group (or more) could get a lock on what was probably Isha, then they could fight their way towards the signature, no matter how the Warp moved itself in the interim.

Frode pointed his cannon 'towards' the eldar energies as best he could, and then it spoke.

Hellbore roared like an angry god, and everything in its path was simply gone, boiling away into plasma to be swept off in the raging stream. The cannon spun low around Frode's ankles, burning away everything in the area.

If the blast passed over the other jumpers, or if some quirk of the Warp suddenly brought Isha into range, the braided gravitics that maintained beam cohesion and speed would twist the stream around them, and the worst they would experience would be everything going very bright and very loud for a moment.

Once the immediate area was glassed, there was a brief distortion in the air, and linear time clamped ruthlessly down on it. For now, the area of the Warp around Frode got to experience the one-second-per-second that the rest of the universe did.

That accomplished, Frode paused. If Alexandra or any of the others confirmed a lock, he'd start moving forwards as he fanned the beam back and forth, carving an obsidian path to the captured eldar deity.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2023-05-14 at 07:30 PM.