New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Have you participated in rotating GMs?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    When you are a GM, you get a very different perspective on role-playing games than when you are a player only. Many table issues and misunderstandings could be resolved if everyone at the table had this shared perspective and experience.

This process makes sure everyone has that perspective in a structured way.
    Sure, there's probably some truth to that, so I can see the benefit of having everyone try it. Still seems unnecessary for everyone to do it regularly though (unless everyone wants to, of course).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    For clarification, I found those run club rules and copy/paste them for simplicity. I see them as more guidelines or inspiration for myself.
    I think I would like to try keeping the adventure length down to 1-4 sessions. Our one-shots usually take us 1.5 four hour sessions.
    I'm struggling to articulate why, but I really like the idea of making sure everyone DMs before the next round. I don't think keeping to a strict rotation lineup is necessary. Life happens and shuffling would be expected. But there's a certain reciprocity if everyone has to take their turn. I also don't see any issue with people sticking to their comfort level. Maybe one person just does a session of 1 hr of real content fluffed with antics. And another asks if they can take an extended 7 session deep dive.
    For my table I don't see too much issue with the "non-DMs" running something ridiculous or light. We've been playing together for over 2 years and there's no illusions of each other's style and involvement. Plus if we did run spelljammer, the setting is ripe for lighthearted shenanigans.

I think as contrived as it may be, each PC has to sit out for the session while the owner DMs. Perhaps creating such a plot device should be a topic for session 0.
    If you’ve got an existing group you’re interested in applying this to, then this conversation is one best to have with them. Still, going into that conversation forearmed with knowledge and ideas is a good plan. So what can we tell you, specific to your situation?

Yes, Spelljammer seems a very appropriate setting for trying out rotating GMing.

What if your group is like, “we need to go back to location X (that was run by GM Y)”, when it isn’t their turn to run? What if they do so as a suggested solution to player Z’s game? How much will the metagame influence the game?

Does your group have experience with… hmmm… “not cookie cutter” parties? If the GM’s PC is sitting out, and everyone is GM, you need two of everything to have one of everything in every party. This may be a good time to have everyone run multiple PCs.

I guess a “watch rotation” could explain why you rotate who stays with the ship vs who “beams down” to explore the planet?

Discuss where you all stand on the spectrum of “WBL is a physical property of the universe” to “we’re fine running the party after they looted the Justice Lords”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectrum of “your actions have meaning and lasting effects” to “episodic play with anticipation of returning to baseline”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectrum of “long-term negative effects” vs “She turned me into a newt! … I got better”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectra of rate of leveling, and CaW vs CaS.

That is, if I’ve planned a “sporting” adventure for level 3 PCs, but, before it’s my turn to run, they’ve reached level 8, and have a dozen Space Viking bodyguard henchmen, is that a problem?

Had you gone with a pure “run club” format, I might have suggested “everyone runs a session, gain a level”.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    When you are a GM, you get a very different perspective on role-playing games than when you are a player only. Many table issues and misunderstandings could be resolved if everyone at the table had this shared perspective and experience.

This process makes sure everyone has that perspective in a structured way.
    This is an interesting conversation in and of itself.

So, sure, if everyone has GM’d, everyone has GM’d. Kinda a tautology, that.

However, while Bruce Wayne responded to the gun-related death of his parents by becoming a vigilante crime fighter who dresses up as a bat and refuses to use guns, Bruce Payne might well have responded to the same stimulus by dressing up as a rat, and using guns to fight crime.

The point being, the same stimulus can teach different people different lessons.

So it’s not the case that “everyone running” will put everyone on the same page, to remedy such problems. It gives them experience with other points of view, and gives them the background to use to form a vocabulary about such things. But if two neutral players run games, and become dead set on their respective, opposed positions (like CaS vs CaW, or illusionism vs honest), then everyone having run games could actually cause problems rather than solve them.

More insidiously, the belief that “everyone has run a game, therefore we’re on the same page” could reduce the impetus to use preventative tools (like “session 0”), potentially resulting in more and worse problems than a naive group that understands their naivety.

On the flip side, if everyone is experienced, no one is naïve, and you cannot elicit the naive response from the group. If you care.

Anyway, if such “table issues and misunderstandings” are a concern, sure, getting everyone experience GMing in their own one-shots can be advantageous. But I would recommend tools like “session 0” and “developing a shared vocabulary” and “cultivating table culture” to be more valuable for this purpose.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I don't really see the point of having everyone GM. Personally, I love both playing and GMing (and like to think I do pretty well in both) but the roles are pretty different and not everyone will be good at both or enjoy both. I guess I could see a use for a setup like this if no one wanted to GM, so GMing would just be a necessary evil the group shares.
    The first benefit is that it keeps everyyone at the table on the same level, no hierarchies.

The second benefit is that it does provide both reason and a safe environment for new GMs to take their first steps.

The third reason it that it helps a lot against GM burnout because everyone gets regular, long breaks.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    The first benefit is that it keeps everyyone at the table on the same level, no hierarchies.

The second benefit is that it does provide both reason and a safe environment for new GMs to take their first steps.

The third reason it that it helps a lot against GM burnout because everyone gets regular, long breaks.
    I can't say I've ever had a problem with a table being too hierarchical, but I suppose it might help someone with that issue (assuming it's specifically based on the GM having more power than the players).

As for the other reasons, I agree that it can be good to change GMs on occasion, whether it's to give the current GM a break or give someone new a chance to try it. I don't think either depends on everyone regularly taking a turn though.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2022-08-05 at 01:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Did it work out?
    What issues might it bring up?
    Sometimes I've been sick, or I've not been up for DMing that week 'cause burnout. I'll try and get someone to take my place for that week. They hate it.

My players at both tables either can't or wont DM, and when people who aren't me, DM, there appears to be a lot of complaints, and those DMs then refer back to me - even though I'm a player - on what I would do. "Can you do it like [Cheesegear] does it?" has been heard more than once.

I also have a direct quote; 'If you [me, Cheesegear] weren't our DM, we wouldn't play D&D.' from one of my tables.

Not everyone has the same creative output,
    Not everyone has the same understanding of the rules,
    Not everyone has the ability to multi-task and have the agile thinking that wrangling 4-6 players onto a task, requires.

Ultimately, the key is consistency, and when you have rotating DMs, the likelihood of your table not having consistency, goes up.

I am a Forever-DM. The only time I get to play a character is when they're a hostile. Which means I might only ever get one scene with them.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-08-05 at 08:23 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've never done a rotating DM.

I homebrewed all of my world, and while I incorporate everything I can from my players (backstories, ideas they might have/like to see) - I am, still, admittedly a control freak.

So every Tuesday, I DM (every other week it's everyone, the following week is what we call "off week" where it's a different campaign and people are free to join and drop that one, because it's not the main one).

However, that said - one of my players, DM'ed after that, and ran Out of the Abyss, but that was on Thursday.

Another of my players, ran a smaller game, that was once a month (on some weekend day).

So not really rotating DMs - but my players DMing their own sessions with me in it as a player, on different days.

EDIT - To be clear, the Out of the Abyss, was just that. So not based in my campaign. And the monthly game, she had created her own homebrew world for her game. So none of the games take place in my homebrew campaign.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2022-08-06 at 11:37 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yes, and no.

Yes, we did rotate GM's, but in several ways.

First: Whoever felt like doing a campaign, did a campaign. Lasted ~1 year each. Worked fine, no inconsistencies, but DM burnout did happen, luckily you could just not opt to run a campaign to recover.

Second: I ran a megadungeon (Egyptian themed pyramid). I did the intro few sessions and called dibs on the last two floors, but there were 15 floors in between. Players could claim one and run it as they saw fit as long as they contained it to that level. This set-up worked amazing. Fun was had, I had plenty of sessions to just play, while the story as a whole remained intact. I can highly recommend this setup.

Third: We decided to create a joint world, where each player had a region and could make up as they would (under very general guidelines, such as "has dwarves"). We then took turns running mini-campaigns (4-6 sessions) in that world with the same characters. This was ok, but inconsistency was greater. For example, we agreed to be low magic, but at level 4 they met a salamander who gave one of the characters what amounts to a lightsaber (we were playing medieval fantasy). She was still underpowered, but come on. We had also instituted 'DM says = law' so we couldn't retcon it. Disgruntled, but we moved on. After multiple mini campaigns this world was kind of sided out.

Fourth: We did a joint DM plan. Me and my buddy were the DM's together. We would take turns leading sessions, with minor roles in roleplaying or combat tactics for the other DM. Worked great, because you could lean on the other DM and riff off of each other. Created great roleplay, but the co-DM for each session did feel a little less useful. Also less stress on one single DM because you can roll with what the other prepped.

We're currently taking a break, but I'm getting back in the DM saddle soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Do we know when Shed Shadow is going to pick?
    Scholars maintain that it will be in the winter equinox under the light of a full moon when the reflection of it's light upon a lakes surface will illuminate and cast into silhouette the shape of our humblest storage unit, the shed.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Rotating GMs have been the standars in my 2.5 decades of RGPs over various groups. Generally that works fine.

Rule 1) That would be difficult. You generally don't want to strictly regulate the number of sessions a turn takes if you don't really need to. There are always longer and shorter adventures, there are always GMs miscalculating how long it will take and what the players do will and should effect the duration as well. Guideline is better than rule here.

Rule 2 ) Is fine. Not all our rotating-GM groups had it but many did and it was generally for the better.

Rule 3 ) A little flexibility might be called for. There is always real-life stuff getting in the way. As long as rule 2 is kept and not only in name, it would be enough.
    Agreed. Flexibility means the person who turn it is to GM next failing to get their "schedule" together (whether because of life, or because they just aren't that committed) doesn't mean the group folds.
    It also means the person who's been struck by inspiration and has a great game ready to go is free to do it. Whereas, by the time their turn comes around their enthusiasm may have waned

Also everyone GMs can be good to have some give in it I say as the member of the group with the most hours of work per week and a sole parent in a group of bachelors.
    Some people are also temperamentally unsuited to GMing, Too shy, not able to think on their feet quickly enough, In a group of experienced players, you might want to give the newbie a while to get up to speed before you push

Also, within a campaign, I've played rotating GMs quite successfully. D&D and MechWarrior games where there's an element of turn taking with who runs the next adventure. The things to watch for here are
    You need a level of communication about where adventures start and end and what treasure the party gets along the way. If the party has no flight, don't give them flight without checking with the next GM that flight won't wreck their planned adventure.

If the party's marooned on a desert island and you have and adventure to get them off it, say so. Then let anyone who wants to run desert island hijinks the chance to do so before you run your thing

Also, I've always wanted to run a troupe style game like Ars Magica where some or all of the players have "areas" they run stories for. So maybe one player runs the relations with the nearby Baron, another runs the fairy court and a 3rd runs a rival covenant. Another GM might run "everything else" or everything else could be shared more evenly
    Last edited by Duff; 2022-08-09 at 12:05 AM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

By rotating GMs, does it mean having everyone involved run a separate game, or a shared campaign in which all the players take a turn at DMing the game? I have done both.

My core gaming group is fortunate to have four people who've been bitten by the DM bug for many years (and one more recently). We don't strictly rotate, with each running games as their enthusiasm and level of availability allows. Sometimes that means multiple games trading weekends, sometimes that means one person runs for a while as the only one.

However, one time I did also have a game with two other friends where we traded DMing back and forth for the same game. Whoever's turn it was would prepare a sort of mini-adventure and let their character take a little bit of a back seat when it came to decision-making for the group that session. It was a fairly combat-heavy game with simple stories so it wasn't difficult to trade back and forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    If the party has no flight, don't give them flight without checking with the next GM that flight won't wreck their planned adventure.
    Alternately, if flight would wreck your planned adventure, up your skills to where you do not write adventures that are so easily wrecked? Rotating the GM is a really good training tool to write less fragile adventures, if you don’t child-proof things for the GM, IME.

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Alternately, if flight would wreck your planned adventure, up your skills to where you do not write adventures that are so easily wrecked? Rotating the GM is a really good training tool to write less fragile adventures, if you don’t child-proof things for the GM, IME.
    Also this. But work with each other. If your friend isn't great at thinking on their feet, they need more notice. If they're a noob, they probably need this. If they're time poor and run published material, don't do anything too much outside normal level items
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Sort of; people are still people and in any social group that develops a pecking order.
    This. IME this is how you make new DMs.
    Amen. If one is forever GM it can be trying.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In one of my groups we had usually a main campaign and one shots. The main had the same GM but we would rotate one shots. One shots were mostly to give the main GM a break and we'd also run it if we were short on players for the main campaign. One shots is also great to test out new systems or just do something drastically different.

We had also a black ops campaign with rotating GMs. The campaign was mission based so each GM would run a mission.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    In one of my groups we had usually a main campaign and one shots. The main had the same GM but we would rotate one shots. One shots were mostly to give the main GM a break and we'd also run it if we were short on players for the main campaign. One shots is also great to test out new systems or just do something drastically different.
    Kudos for bringing that up - “not everyone” / “not enough people” can make it, but we still want to get together / play a game is a *great* opportunity for one-shots, *and* is also a great opportunity for “forever GM” to get to play by mandating that someone else needs to be GM for such one-shots.

On a completely unrelated note, while results may vary by personality type, my experience is, Chaotic “who has something that they’d like to run?” produces more inspiration, more games available in a multi-GM party than Lawful “Thou must be ready to run thine game on the next session”. Also, such Chaotic-minded scheduling is more forgiving of “oh, the PCs got Flight / 20 vials of oil / a clue? That completely invalidates my adventure trapped by a cliff / vs a troll / in the Realms”, giving the would-be GM time to retool their idea, or shelve it and craft another.

(Ok, the Realms aren’t actually invalidated by having a clue, regardless of how clueless many of their characters are portrayed as. By being a Playground Determinator, maybe, but what setting isn’t?)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

the problem with one-shot/short campaigns is that you can't build the same kind of emotional involvement with your character and the campaign world. that kind of deep connection is truly the most satisfying part of the game.
    I am lucky to be in a group with 2 good dm, so we can run a long campaing each and stave off the worst of dm fatigue. we also have supporting players. so we never felt like the players were taking advantage of our dming to outsorce to us the hardest part, and we never had to force others to take a turn.
    ultimately, my experience is that the group works better if the people who are good at being dm are dming; but that requires very good group dynamics, and can't be done in all groups
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    the problem with one-shot/short campaigns is that you can't build the same kind of emotional involvement with your character and the campaign world. that kind of deep connection is truly the most satisfying part of the game.
    You can share both the world and the PCs between all the GMs and thus still get attached. That is actually how it is done most often.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

You can share both the world and the PCs between all the GMs and thus still get attached. That is actually how it is done most often.
    Can confirm, this is how we do it most of the time.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    the problem with one-shot/short campaigns is that you can't build the same kind of emotional involvement with your character and the campaign world.
    So… there are many possible answers here.

Yes, “continuity of cast and setting” is one possible answer (and feels very germane to this thread).

But one-shots also provide the freedom to *not* have that level of investment. It’s a great opportunity to find out whether you can play a character who is constantly cracking jokes, or (like Deadpool) constantly breaking the 4th wall, or a different gender, or just “not your normal class / build / role”. Or to learn firsthand why everyone hates Kender.

It’s also an opportunity to try new systems. Most groups aren’t clever and creative enough to make running the same PCs in D&D, WoD, CoC, Rifts, and Fate a thing, so getting caught up on one often excludes the other.

But, even if that long-term commitment is the ultimate goal? Why, just giving people the opportunity to run (and play in) these one-shots may build up the appropriate skills and hungers in people to make that happen.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

But, even if that long-term commitment is the ultimate goal? Why, just giving people the opportunity to run (and play in) these one-shots may build up the appropriate skills and hungers in people to make that happen.
    Or one could start a proper campain that allows such commitment in the first place. Why the detour ?

I know that you regularly champion a couple of one shots for the group to get to know each other. But honestly ? I would sit out such an arrangement and only join after those arre done.

21. - Top - End - #51

Or one could start a proper campain that allows such commitment in the first place. Why the detour ?

I know that you regularly champion a couple of one shots for the group to get to know each other. But honestly ? I would sit out such an arrangement and only join after those arre done.
    You realize you’ve given an answer to your own question, right? I’m not sure if you’re just playing devil’s advocate to give me the opportunity to expound on these details for the folks at home, or if you have a specific question you want answered, but I’ll do my best.

So, yes, obviously, this has the advantage of providing variety, of all the advantages of both one-shots and extended campaigns. Senility willing, maybe I’ll go into more detail on those advantages, perhaps inside a spoiler tag.

But, to answer your more pressing question with a question, why do people go on dates instead of jumping straight to the commitment of marriage? Why the detour?

Lastly (I’m practicing “brevity is the essence of clarity”, please rate the results ), I feel you may be missing out, sitting out on the party’s formative moments of those one-shots. Would you really be ok with joining an established group with a new PC? I mean, yes, but would you really consider that optimal over being there from the beginning? Then, same question, but for a new system: would you really prefer all the other players to have experience with the system, and knowing how to build the character that they envision and enjoy playing, while you will be running a comparative jalopy, like a poorly built 3e Fighter (“Toughness is where it’s at! Why would anyone take any other feat! And I’m going Dex-based, and high Int to cover low skill points!”) falling behind the Druid’s animal companion, let alone the CoDzilla? Because, if so, that seems an odd goal, but you do you.

Clear enough why I consider one-shots so valuable?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2022-08-21 at 08:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Lastly (I’m practicing “brevity is the essence of clarity”, please rate the results ), I feel you may be missing out, sitting out on the party’s formative moments of those one-shots. Would you really be ok with joining an established group with a new PC? I mean, yes, but would you really consider that optimal over being there from the beginning? Then, same question, but for a new system: would you really prefer all the other players to have experience with the system, and knowing how to build the character that they envision and enjoy playing, while you will be running a comparative jalopy, like a poorly built 3e Fighter (“Toughness is where it’s at! Why would anyone take any other feat! And I’m going Dex-based, and high Int to cover low skill points!”) falling behind the Druid’s animal companion, let alone the CoDzilla? Because, if so, that seems an odd goal, but you do you.
    I don't see how i am missing "the party's formative moments", if it's a new party every session and we only create the real party after the one-shots are over. That is even more true when settings and even systems change as well.

And yes, i would have no problems joining an existing group with a new character. And if that group was starting a new campaign, it would seem like an ideal time to do so.

As for build failures and paople becoming unhappy with their characters. Stuff like that happens. Rarely. If it does, there is little problem either switching the character or, if it is the build only, to give it an overhaul. I really don't think it is worth at all to waste weeks upon weeks of precious session time only to get people more familiar with the system before the actual campaign starts.
    Usually you don't have that many newbies anyway.

I wouldn't even want to have such training sessions if i was the one new to the system, as long as i was already committed to the campaign.

A one-shot for trying out a system if the majority of a groups wants to try out a system is acceptable though. But looking back, even that is more often done as a one-off with people only interested in this particular system and not necessarily planning to play in this constellation again.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see how I am missing "the party's formative moments", if it's a new party every session and we only create the real party after the one-shots are over. That is even more true when settings and even systems change as well.
    Amen. The small group dynamics that has the most weight is the small group of players, not characters.
    And yes, I would have no problems joining an existing group with a new character. And if that group was starting a new campaign, it would seem like an ideal time to do so.
    Likewise. Have done it with some frequency.
    ... becoming unhappy with their characters. {snip} If it does, there is little problem either switching the character or, if it is the build only, to give it an overhaul.
    In my experience, this isn't that much trouble. One's Own Mileage May Vary
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #54

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've been running a rotating GM group for about four years now. There is no obligation to GM, but most people end up wanting to at some point. Really our only standing rule is "no D&D or clones".

We seem to settle into shorter campaigns...6-9 months real time with one exception...and at the end of each campaign two or three guys will set the table with a couple options they'd like to GM. There is completely non-codified process that selects one based on social consensus based on what seems interesting as a setting, GM fatigue/desire, cool systems, and so on.

Then that GM runs it. Rinse and repeat.

I have to say, it works. If I had to say why, here would be my answers:

- Everyone is a bit older and has been gaming for a bit. There's no inherent virtue to age, but it does mean that we made our tragically bad player/gm social contract mistakes in the past.

-Pretty much everyone WANTS to GM something. Specifically a non-d&d something. They have some ideas in their head for a cool story, a system they always wanted to try, a setting that they really want to explore. So GMing is a great way to make it happen, not an unfortunate drudgery to pay for playing.

-The systems tend towards the more mechanically simple. Besides reducing prep and memorization costs, it also helps avoid having to account for an excess of wildly specific and granular player actions with all the social Friction that can cause.

And it's been a blast. A heist in the Mistborn setting. Imperial Guardsmen in Only War. A low fantasy series of swashbuckling adventures. Cthulu in the early days of humanity in space. A kingdom and army level game about a rebellion to overthrow a daemon emperor. Open ended, or with pre-assigned characters, long contuity to a series of thematixky linked one shots, pretty much the gamut.

But I would really stress "you HAVE to run" isn't the point. The point is "you want to run." I've yet to see a campaign end without multiple players immediately volunteering to run a different game.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

technically yes.

We have what most groups would call a "Regular" GM (noting that some of our group's been playing together for nearly two decades now) who tends to run modules/paths/whatever in a longer form (and even then it's not always the same system. he ran Pathfinder 1 for a long time, then some Adventures in Middle Earth and broke things up with the Alien RPG and a MorkBorg one-shot), but after he's run an adventure/module or two someone will inevitably offer to run something. we just finished a Starfinder module and we've started a game of the Witcher RPG, both games were run by different players.

Once the Witcher game is done, Regular GM said he had a few games he'd picked up he'd like to try running.

There's no schedule, just "We've wrapped up the adventure and if GM wants to take a break and play as a PC, anyone here have an elevator pitch for something to play in the meanwhile?" and then we vote on the next game.