New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default PL 10/150 point Superman

So, I’ve been toying with this idea for awhile and never truly been satisfied with the results. I’ve seen other such builds, but there are usually pretty obvious flaws larger than I’m willing to accept, most notably is impervious ranks so low as to be useless against anything bigger than a typical handgun. So I recently decided to start with the paragon archetype and work from there. The results are promising.

Strength 2 (12) Agility 0 Stamina 12 Dexterity 0 Fighting 0 Intellect 0 Awareness 0 Presence 0

Flight: Flight 10
    AE; Superspeed: Speed 10, Quickness 10

Invulnerability: Enhanced Stamina 10, Immunity 10 (life support), Impervious Toughness 12

Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 10, Enhanced Strength 10 (limited to lifting)
    AE; Heat Vision: Ranged Damage 12 (precise)

Super Senses: Senses 9 (Vision Penetrates Concealment (quirk: can’t penetrate lead), Accurate Hearing, Analytical Hearing, Extended Hearing, Ultra-Hearing)

Advantages: Languages (Kryptonian)

Skills: Journalism, 5 (+5), Insight 4 (+4), Perception 10 (+10), Persuasion 5 (+5), Ranged Combat: Heat Vision 8 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+8)

Defenses: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Will 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12

Let me know what you guys think.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PL 10/150 point Superman

'm not a big fan of superstrength and heat vision being part of the same array-- I'd rather see super-senses, say-- but I get it, and it certainly works well mechanically. I'd give the build 4/5 stars overall: it's nice and simple and nails all the key Superman points.

One potential improvement would be to take Enhanced Strength, limited to Lifting as a dynamic alternate of Flight. That's a fairly inexpensive and dramatically-coherent way of lifting truly ginormous amounts. That would also let you fill up the strength side of the array with Str-Based Damage 0, Multiattack or Str-Based Damage 0, linked to Affliction 12 (Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Prone; Fortitude) to give your punches a bit more oomph-- my experience has been that a straight Damage attack with no modifiers can feel kinda flat in play.

Another option (mostly for shaking points loose) would be to put a flaw like Distracting or Concentration on the last five (or more!) ranks of Flight, and drop the alternate to Quickness 5 or do the same with Speed. 4-5 ranks of a movement power is more than enough to handle 99% of combat scenarios; the extra juice is really only useful for point-to-point travel.

On a similar note, you could probably drop the various super-senses into an array--if Supes is focusing on his hearing, he doesn't have enough concentration to spare to make sense of X-ray vision. You could also get away with knocking two points off Impervious; (earthly) hand-held weapons and grenades cap out at Damage 5.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2022-08-04 at 04:54 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: PL 10/150 point Superman

I always look to Batgirl III’s builds for PL10 versions of the big names. http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com...122536#p122536
    Last edited by JustIgnoreMe; 2022-08-10 at 12:36 AM.