New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Great Value Mandalorian Build(s)

The campaign is Descent Into Avernus. The goal is a badass gunslinger with a code and the general effects of Mando/Boba's armor. I doubt we're going far beyond the campaign so capstone abilities aren't worth considering. All official rules are valid.

To begin, Variant Human with the Gunner feat seems necessary. Even if we go artificer and get the Repeating Shot infusion, that doesn't stack if we ever want higher magical bonuses on the gun. Getting the infusion early on and swapping it out in the later game is an option, but this fits the idea better. He's gonna begin with gunsmith tool proficiency because what kind of shooter can't fix his own strap? Pistol on his hip and a musket on his back.

Necessary Feats: Gunner, Sharpshooter. Dex to 20 but get Sharpshooter ASAP.

I feel like there are three basic paths to get what I want from here (any artificer class pick is Armorer):
    Fighter 6/Ranger 4/War Magic Wizard 6 - Mando's a warrior and can throw down. Archery, AS, Two attacks, and two Feat/ASI from Fighter does that well. When it comes to Ranger, here we'll get our tracking abilities and another fighting style, maybe defense. For War Mage spells, we would be trying to replicate the cool things Mando's armor can do.
    Artificer 10/Fighter 4/War Magic Wizard 2 - Here we can get a LOT of cool armor effects at the expense of fighting ability. With spells and infusions, there are a lot of options.
    Fighter 12/Artificer 4 (or Fighter 11/Artificer 3/War Magic Wizard 2) - You get power armor, a couple of infusions, and some spells to replicate Mando's armor. You're also letting off three attacks a round. If you don't need ASI/Feats.. then the two levels of War Magic would give that sweet Init bonus and even more spells and cantrips.

Armor Effects / Substitutes
    Flame Thrower - Firebolt or Burning Hands
    Grapple Line - Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip
    Jet Pack - Featherfall, Jump, Longstrider?, Levitate, Fly
    Helmet - Darkvision, Faerie Fire, See Invisible, True Seeing, Message, Sending
    Whistle Thingy - Magic Missile
    Concussion/Explode - Thunderwave, Shatter, Fireball
    Beskar - Adamantine

Possible other Feat considerations: Heavy or Medium Armor Master, Mobile, Alert.

Mobile on a ranged guy is iffy, but if I can score the ability to fly at my normal speed it will be spectacular for moving around the battlefield.

If I can't find a small creature to protect, the Homunculus infusion could do in a pinch. If someone played a halfling or goblin that would be the bees knees lol.

I'm just looking for suggestion to improve on my idea or find things I've missed to make this fit the overall theme and also not drag the group down mechanically-speaking. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Great Value Mandalorian Build(s)

Hard to beat an Eldritch Knight here. Full armor proficiency, plus enough spell access to occasionally use a "special weapon" without it feeling like actually using the weapon is a wrong choice.

Has the DM made an indication which weapons he'll be allowing? Star Wars blasters are plasma weapons, but I rather doubt your DM is going to sign off on those (baller if he is though).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Muskets and old-timey pistols, which are still pretty good damage compared to the longbow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know why you're so quick to discount artificer lol. Mando is a magic item character! He has a lot of features that do cool things, but they're all trick-gadgets rather than in born abilities. And since he's able to repair his own gear...

Artificer is a very obvious choice here. Extra attack, gunner, infiltrator armor. You're armored, stealthy, and you can infuse your armor with a variety of effects, like allowing it to make you succeed on con throws, making yourself super sneaky, or able to see in the dark, or able to see magic. Eventually by tenth level you can give yourself winged boots. And yeah most of the spells you want are on that list anyway.

It all works almost shockingly well.

Most I would do is grab a level or two of war wizard for the save bonuses and a few notable spells. Or maybe fighter levels.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    I don't know why you're so quick to discount artificer lol. Mando is a magic item character! He has a lot of features that do cool things, but they're all trick-gadgets rather than in born abilities. And since he's able to repair his own gear...

Artificer is a very obvious choice here. Extra attack, gunner, infiltrator armor. You're armored, stealthy, and you can infuse your armor with a variety of effects, like allowing it to make you succeed on con throws, making yourself super sneaky, or able to see in the dark, or able to see magic. Eventually by tenth level you can give yourself winged boots. And yeah most of the spells you want are on that list anyway.

It all works almost shockingly well.

Most I would do is grab a level or two of war wizard for the save bonuses and a few notable spells. Or maybe fighter levels.
    I like Artificer, and I considered a full Artificer build, but I figured I was lacking on some combat stuff with a trade-off for slow spell progression: Action Surge, Archery Fighting Style, trying to get to three attacks, finding something great to use my bonus action for.

The higher level infusions are nothing to be sneezed at, for sure. I'll consider this further.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Not that I've even seen Mandalorian, so grain of salt, but artificer, to me, plays a little clunky. They have a few cool spells, but the don't get enough slots to rely on them. Their best offense is archery-type stuff, but they have no movement abilities or ways to escape grapplers. I was underwhelmed, and Idk how good they'd be to represent a Star Wars character.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

As an Artificer spells are a bonus thing more than a main event, but you can eventually have oh so many useful tricks. I've oft thought of the Artilirst as a good bounty hunter fit ~ you have the cannons (flame on your wrist, Ballista on your shoulder/back) in tiny form attached to your armor and a "blaster" in hand
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I made one of these a ways back. I took 3/4 levels in champion fighter and the rest in gloomstalker. Took elven accuracy as well. The ranger spells can give you other options that fit the flavor of mandolorian and you can pack a mean punch. Take other cool feats (sharpshooter, etc) along the way and it's a legit option i think worth considering. The progression would be kinda hard to nail down, but doable.

Edit: looking back and seeing your post mention about feats and progression, you'd probably have to sacrifice maybe 18 dex this route, but triple advantage is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by RingoBongo; 2022-08-05 at 09:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kristivas View Post
    The campaign is Descent Into Avernus. The goal is a badass gunslinger with a code and the general effects of Mando/Boba's armor. I doubt we're going far beyond the campaign so capstone abilities aren't worth considering. All official rules are valid.

To begin, Variant Human with the Gunner feat seems necessary. Even if we go artificer and get the Repeating Shot infusion, that doesn't stack if we ever want higher magical bonuses on the gun. Getting the infusion early on and swapping it out in the later game is an option, but this fits the idea better. He's gonna begin with gunsmith tool proficiency because what kind of shooter can't fix his own strap? Pistol on his hip and a musket on his back.

Necessary Feats: Gunner, Sharpshooter. Dex to 20 but get Sharpshooter ASAP.

I feel like there are three basic paths to get what I want from here (any artificer class pick is Armorer):
    Fighter 6/Ranger 4/War Magic Wizard 6 - Mando's a warrior and can throw down. Archery, AS, Two attacks, and two Feat/ASI from Fighter does that well. When it comes to Ranger, here we'll get our tracking abilities and another fighting style, maybe defense. For War Mage spells, we would be trying to replicate the cool things Mando's armor can do.
    Artificer 10/Fighter 4/War Magic Wizard 2 - Here we can get a LOT of cool armor effects at the expense of fighting ability. With spells and infusions, there are a lot of options.
    Fighter 12/Artificer 4 (or Fighter 11/Artificer 3/War Magic Wizard 2) - You get power armor, a couple of infusions, and some spells to replicate Mando's armor. You're also letting off three attacks a round. If you don't need ASI/Feats.. then the two levels of War Magic would give that sweet Init bonus and even more spells and cantrips.

Armor Effects / Substitutes
    Flame Thrower - Firebolt or Burning Hands
    Grapple Line - Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip
    Jet Pack - Featherfall, Jump, Longstrider?, Levitate, Fly
    Helmet - Darkvision, Faerie Fire, See Invisible, True Seeing, Message, Sending
    Whistle Thingy - Magic Missile
    Concussion/Explode - Thunderwave, Shatter, Fireball
    Beskar - Adamantine

Possible other Feat considerations: Heavy or Medium Armor Master, Mobile, Alert.

Mobile on a ranged guy is iffy, but if I can score the ability to fly at my normal speed it will be spectacular for moving around the battlefield.

If I can't find a small creature to protect, the Homunculus infusion could do in a pinch. If someone played a halfling or goblin that would be the bees knees lol.

I'm just looking for suggestion to improve on my idea or find things I've missed to make this fit the overall theme and also not drag the group down mechanically-speaking. :)
    Keep in mind that Descent into Avernus starts at lvl 1 and ends at lvl 13. So planning for lvl 15+ won't work for this character.

IMO if you want Mandalorian feel, you should go for the Armorer Artificier.

You can get great armor, guns, and magic items (notably those who let you fly) that way.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2022-08-05 at 09:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Samurai 20. Maybe Hexblade 3/Samurai 17. But definitely start Samurai. Get Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, as well as potentially the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation.

Magic crossbow + 10 damage per hit + Advantage on most attacks + Hex + Hexblade's Curse + Extra Attack = A Lot of Damage.

And while in heavy armor. And you can roleplay having a Mando Code with all the nice social stuff Samurai get.

Literally Win-Win. And you seriously don't need the Hexblade levels. Those are just to be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kristivas View Post
    I like Artificer, and I considered a full Artificer build, but I figured I was lacking on some combat stuff with a trade-off for slow spell progression: Action Surge, Archery Fighting Style, trying to get to three attacks, finding something great to use my bonus action for.

The higher level infusions are nothing to be sneezed at, for sure. I'll consider this further.
    I think 2-3 levels of fighter to lean into Mando's martial persona would be pretty easy to justify. Battlemaster is solid as always, as is EK, but personally here I'd favor Arcane Archer Gunner.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Not that I've even seen Mandalorian, so grain of salt, but artificer, to me, plays a little clunky. They have a few cool spells, but the don't get enough slots to rely on them. Their best offense is archery-type stuff, but they have no movement abilities or ways to escape grapplers. I was underwhelmed, and Idk how good they'd be to represent a Star Wars character.
    Artificer has more mobility and anti control options than most other classes. Heck if they wanted to they can out grapple a barbarian long enough for it to matter even with a 10 in str and no permit investments. Later on they have flight, immunity to DT/restrained/paralyzed, some of the best saves, and are SaD enough you can fill any void you find without delay.

As for this concept id probably go with a different race rather than V human. Sure you lose our of a feat but if you do go something like the armorer for the bulk of your progress you won't be straining your ASIs. I don't know much about star wars but I think the Githzerai would be a good fit.
    -lite traction beam (mage hand)
    -shield
    -radar thingy(detect thoughts)
    Mental toughness (psychic damage resistance and adv on charm/fear)

Then I'd go artificer armorer 10/ battle master fighter X.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

3 Armorer/X Arcane Trickster might work for you. It is a fun build.