New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ninja Items

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Ninja Items

Assassin's Gloves
    very rare

These hands were made for strangling, and that's just what they'll do. You get a +3 to attack and damage rolls with unarmed strike. On a critical hit, or when you reduce a target to 0 HP, they are silenced (as the Silence spell, but affecting only them and things they might bump into). This requires no concentration on your part, and can affect any number of targets at once, but only lasts until the start of your next turn.

Lucky Amulet
    very rare, requires attunement

Your lucky amulet just makes life a little better in all ways. You gain a +1d4 on all saves and ability checks.

Ninja Jumpsuit

This jumpsuit covers you from head to toe in material so dark that light seems to bend away from it, and is so soft it makes your tread whisper-quiet. You have advantage on Stealth checks, and others have disadvantage on Perception checks to find you when you're hiding. Even if a foe knows where you are, the warped light makes it hard to target you, giving you +2 to AC while not wearing armor or using a shield. Finally, the suit also enhances your eyes to better handle the limited light that will be reaching them. You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Zephyr Boots

These boots let you run like the wind. Your speed increases by 10 ft, you gain proficiency in initiative checks, and you have resistance to falling damage.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2022-08-06 at 03:54 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Ninja Items

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    These hands were made for strangling, and that's just what they'll do. You get a +3 to attack and damage rolls with unarmed strike. On a critical hit, or when you reduce a target to 0 HP, they are silenced (as the Silence spell, but affecting only them and things they might bump into).
    1. What's the duration on the silence effect? Is it intended to be permanent? Can it be removed with Remove Curse/Greater Restoration/Wish?
    2. Is it really intended to have all the effects of the silence spell? Could you crit yourself under controlled conditions in order to permanently give yourself silent footfalls and thunder immunity? If this is supposed to represent a throat-strike, why not just say they cannot speak?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    1. What's the duration on the silence effect? Is it intended to be permanent? Can it be removed with Remove Curse/Greater Restoration/Wish?
    2. Is it really intended to have all the effects of the silence spell? Could you crit yourself under controlled conditions in order to permanently give yourself silent footfalls and thunder immunity? If this is supposed to represent a throat-strike, why not just say they cannot speak?
    I guess this is also supposed to prevent the falling noise so that the kill is entirely silent.
    It probably needs a single round of duration for this.
    Last edited by noob; 2022-08-06 at 09:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry forgot duration. Was intended to be until the start of your next turn. And silencing the target is supposed to be for both slightly hampering casters as well as maintaining Stealth.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Assassin's Gloves
    very rare

These hands were made for strangling, and that's just what they'll do. You get a +3 to attack and damage rolls with unarmed strike. On a critical hit, or when you reduce a target to 0 HP, they are silenced (as the Silence spell, but affecting only them and things they might bump into). This requires no concentration on your part, and can affect any number of targets at once, but only lasts until the start of your next turn.
    "Your unarmed strikes deal piercing damage instead of blunt damage, and count as finesse weapons."
    Lucky Amulet

Your lucky amulet just makes life a little better in all ways. You gain a +1d4 on all saves and ability checks.
    Very strong. Maybe too strong with bless.

I might let you activate it as a reaction to making a save or ability check, cast bless on you, and while the bless is active it adds to ability checks.

That'll prevent stacking of bless's 1d4 with this 1d4.

It can have 7 charges, and recharges 1 week after the last time you use it.
    Ninja Jumpsuit

This jumpsuit covers you from head to toe in material so dark that light seems to bend away from it, and is so soft it makes your tread whisper-quiet. You have advantage on Stealth checks, and others have disadvantage on Perception checks to find you when you're hiding. Even if a foe knows where you are, the warped light makes it hard to target you, giving you +2 to AC while not wearing armor or using a shield. Finally, the suit also enhances your eyes to better handle the limited light that will be reaching them. You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.
    Stealth checks in dim light or darkness.

120 feet of blindsight is crazy. I'd make that legendary by itself.
    Zephyr Boots

These boots let you run like the wind. Your speed increases by 10 ft, you gain proficiency in initiative checks, and you have resistance to falling damage.
    Seems a bit of a grab bag of abilities. And 10 ft isn't "run like the wind".

"When you dash, your speed increases by an additional 30 feet per round, and you can repeatedly dash without becoming tired".

This works well with both rogues and monks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    "Your unarmed strikes deal piercing damage instead of blunt damage, and count as finesse weapons."
    Am kinda making these more for a monk than a rogue. It's not suppose to be an Assassin's Creed thing, I just couldn't think of a better name for it.

Very strong. Maybe too strong with bless.

I might let you activate it as a reaction to making a save or ability check, cast bless on you, and while the bless is active it adds to ability checks.

That'll prevent stacking of bless's 1d4 with this 1d4.

It can have 7 charges, and recharges 1 week after the last time you use it.
    Luckstone is +1 saves/checks as Uncommon. General feeling within the community is that two uncommons tend to be worth a rare, and two rares tend to be worth a very rare. This is weirder with things that are just flat bonuses, so a variable +1d4 to saves/checks is better than just a flat +4 to saves/checks. Certainly there's never complaints about +3 weapons being "too good" when combined with bless, even though they aid the same stat and +3 weapons are also Very Rare.

Stealth checks in dim light or darkness.

120 feet of blindsight is crazy. I'd make that legendary by itself.
    Nope, just stealth checks period. I'm not making a very rare item worse at its job than an uncommon item that does the same thing.

It's not blindsight. It's "seeing in the dark". You can't feel around objects, you don't auto-detect things. It's just Darkvision+. It's literally just the devil's sight invocation, which any warlock could have at lvl 2, and any variant human could have at lvl 1 with the right feat.

Seems a bit of a grab bag of abilities. And 10 ft isn't "run like the wind".

"When you dash, your speed increases by an additional 30 feet per round, and you can repeatedly dash without becoming tired".

This works well with both rogues and monks.
    Grab bags work better because when you put everything into one stat, people tend to complain it's too much.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Assassin's Gloves
    very rare
    Strangling should definitely be based on grappling rather than unarmed strikes. I would make it so once a creature is grappled, it either cannot speak or can speak only falteringly, and after a certain number of rounds ot falls unconscious without being reduced to 0 hp.

Ninja Jumpsuit
    I think this could be simplified considerably. While wearing the suit and no other armor, you are always lightly obscured, and you treat light obscurement as heavy obscurement (this covers all the stealth and defensive effects)

In addition, while wearing the suit, you treat dim light as bright light and darkness (even magical darkness) as dim light (this covers all the perception effects).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticAxekick View Post
    Strangling should definitely be based on grappling rather than unarmed strikes. I would make it so once a creature is grappled, it either cannot speak or can speak only falteringly, and after a certain number of rounds ot falls unconscious without being reduced to 0 hp.
    Strangling is the fluff because I couldn't think of a better fluff line. The intention is a +3 unarmed strike weapon.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Strangling is the fluff because I couldn't think of a better fluff line. The intention is a +3 unarmed strike weapon.
    Brass knuckles? Studded gauntlet? Bracers? Three magic rings, each for a cumulative +1?

Replace the strangling theme with a pressure point theme ("cutting off your target's airways") or a theme of raw power ("knocking the air out of your target's lungs").
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2022-08-07 at 08:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Assassin's Gloves
    Neat! +3 gloves of hitting, and a minor bonus. The duration is short enough I'm not worried about shenanigans.

Lucky Amulet
    Luckstone+. Boring but practical.

Ninja Jumpsuit
    Boots and Cloak of Elvenkind rolled into one, plus Devil's Sight, plus 2 points of AC...
    This is more than very rare. It combines two powerful uncommon items (the elven ones), a very rare (+2 armor), and grants you Devil's Sight.
    It's not BROKEN-it's achievable (minus Devil's Sight) with other items, only some of which need attunement. But altogether, it's too much for what it is now.

Zephyr Boots
    Neat! Though similar to Lucky Amulet, a bit boring.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show