New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default What if Leomund's Tiny Hut were a sphere?

In 3.PF, the first sentence of Leomund's tiny hut was, "You create an unmoving, opaque sphere of force of any color you desire around yourself. Half the sphere projects above the ground, and the lower hemisphere passes through the ground."

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about whether the 5e version of the spell has a bottom or not, and final conclusions seem to generally agree that it does, though I know that's not a universally agreed-upon conclusion. The hemispherical dome shape also creates issues if placed on ground that is not perfectly level.

A spherical shape would firmly answer that it has a bottom, and allow for variance in floor height from the center. Assuming that the "does it have a floor?" question is answered "yes" either way, does making it a sphere instead of a hemisphere break anything worse than it already is? Does it create any problems or make it significantly more powerful?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What if Leomund's Tiny Hut were a sphere?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    In 3.PF, the first sentence of Leomund's tiny hut was, "You create an unmoving, opaque sphere of force of any color you desire around yourself. Half the sphere projects above the ground, and the lower hemisphere passes through the ground."

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about whether the 5e version of the spell has a bottom or not, and final conclusions seem to generally agree that it does, though I know that's not a universally agreed-upon conclusion. The hemispherical dome shape also creates issues if placed on ground that is not perfectly level.

A spherical shape would firmly answer that it has a bottom, and allow for variance in floor height from the center. Assuming that the "does it have a floor?" question is answered "yes" either way, does making it a sphere instead of a hemisphere break anything worse than it already is? Does it create any problems or make it significantly more powerful?
    well, making it a sphere means that it does, unequivocally, have a bottom. so i think thats the only place that matters. if your DM is likely to rule that it doesn't have a floor, then this change means that the DM has no direct way to bypass it without removing it altogether.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

If you’re already assuming there’s a floor, I don’t thing anything changes by making it a sphere, other than two edge cases:

- there’s already a burrowing monster underground, within the sphere, when it’s cast

- an occupant of the hut wants to burrow into the ground before the spell ends.

Other than that, I can’t see anything relevant to the shape change.

4. - Top - End - #4

The two main reasons I like it are the definitive answer to the question of a bottom, and the aesthetic neatness of it when not on perfectly flat ground.

The fact it was a sphere in prior editions just clinched the concept for me. The fact it is an impenetrable force field in 5e but not that in earlier editions is why I wanted to check myself against others' views on whether the change breaks anything.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
    If you’re already assuming there’s a floor, I don’t thing anything changes by making it a sphere, other than two edge cases:

- there’s already a burrowing monster underground, within the sphere, when it’s cast

- an occupant of the hut wants to burrow into the ground before the spell ends.

Other than that, I can’t see anything relevant to the shape change.
    even in those cases nothing changes. creatures within the dome when you cast it can move freely through it.

oh wait...if there is a burrowing creature underground it *could* cause the dome to exceed either the size, or occupancy limits. technically, even things like burrowing insects or rodents could **** you over, but the same is true even for the dome shape...sphere just makes it somewhat more likely.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Not a major issue but if it is a sphere that also can add extra difficulties when casting in buildings or dungeons. The DM now also has to look at what is directly below on the next level and see if the hut will intersect with anything. It could dramatically change an adventure if your hut accidentally blocks off a portion of the bosses bedroom on the lower level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by kazaryu View Post
    even in those cases nothing changes. creatures within the dome when you cast it can move freely through it.
    Exactly. If it’s a floored dome, nothing can come up through the floor. If it’s a sphere and the burrowing creature is beneath the floor, but within the sphere, said creature can feast on a resting parting.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Better yet, make it a geodesic dome.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
    Exactly. If it’s a floored dome, nothing can come up through the floor. If it’s a sphere and the burrowing creature is beneath the floor, but within the sphere, said creature can feast on a resting parting.
    ah, fair enough

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Better yet, make it a geodesic dome.
    Nah, go for a full-on geodesic psychoisolation chamber.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I purpose, make it a little bigger so theirs room for the parties horses, allow the caster to come and go as he pleases while its up. But eliminate its force field properties.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.