New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Villainous Competition XLVIII: Zealot!

Well, it's good. My idea fits in it.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I'm also happy with that amendment.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The amendment really helps me. I'm for it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Okay friends, how do you feel about this?
    Proposition for new limitations:
    What do y'all think?
    I think you should update starting post.

UPD: I disliked my first idea. (
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-08-09 at 03:39 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    I think you should update starting post.
    Gave some time for others to respond, and was then on mobile for a while. Got down from a flight, I'll be on my laptop soon.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Works better for me, at least. Will look over stuff.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Round limitations have been updated in the OP.

Please make sure you've read and understood the limitations. Also, note that most previous rulings and qualifications no longer apply.
    Spoiler: For example
    Show
    Whether or not certain immunities count as fear immunity is no longer relevant, now that this isn't a strict requirement but something for judges to penalize or reward based on reliability and completeness of said immunity.
    Whether or not certain things are allowed under the damage and death rule is no longer relevant, as everything is now allowed - but explicitly, the builds should be focused on damage and death effects first and foremost. So, for example, Con Drain will not be rewarded here, as it is not a death effect nor damage - but it won't disqualify the entries, because nothing like that does.

Spoiler: a note on the alignment limitation
    Show
    Also, for anyone who finds they have trouble imagining or writing a Good zealot under these limitations: if you find yourself lost, you are allowed to treat Good as "on the angel's side of the battle". So, a CG zealot burning an entire township to the ground to cleanse it of demon worship is allowed.

I'm not trying to make any general arguement about D&D alignment. This is simply how it'll be treated in this round of this competition. This isn't meant to encourage discussions on alignment, but to avoid them - and to guide judges away from discouraging Good aligned builds.

You are of course still not allowed to use an option that'd carry a code of conduct that would be utterly out of line for any villain, or won't allow the villain to live up to the "die, heretic!" theme. So, LG is fine, Vow of Peace is not.

Please feel free to PM me for any further questions or issues. Good luck!

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems to me that the stereotypical zealot seems to skew towards Lawful, with "Die, Heretic!" being a reaction to someone breaking their rules. Admittedly, some followers of Lolth can be pretty zealous, but it feels like there would be more LN zealots than CG or CE zealots.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Question about the Leadership feat: if it is a req for another feat or similar, are we allowed to take it for req pruposes, but just not use it?

I thought that was in the comp rules somewhere, but I may be mixing this up with the rules for a different forum comp.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Question about the Leadership feat: if it is a req for another feat or similar, are we allowed to take it for req pruposes, but just not use it?

I thought that was in the comp rules somewhere, but I may be mixing this up with the rules for a different forum comp.
    You're right that it was previously allowed by the rules. I've changed it to no longer be the case (the rules now clarify that it is completely banned) as I felt that there were too many edge cases there.

My judgments and medals!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

What are the rules for the resources available to the villains? Are they supposed to stick explicitly to NPC WBL? Is there a way to calculate increased CR if they have more gear than a typical NPC of that level?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I have two builds. Now I need to write two stories.

My competition's medals.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tohron View Post
    What are the rules for the resources available to the villains? Are they supposed to stick explicitly to NPC WBL? Is there a way to calculate increased CR if they have more gear than a typical NPC of that level?
    In my experience, there is no hard and fast rule for this.

I usually stick to gp for CR (i.e treasure amount), to be on the conservative side, but NPC WBL could also be appropriate.

Either way, be wary of relying too much on gear, since that will usually get a penalty from most judges.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm, I have an idea kinda premade already but it’s honestly not that zealotty really unless you squint… And I think I need to change one of the classes work. If I get some time tonight I’ll reformat my notes into an entry but I’m not confident whatsoever.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

So, now that I have a moment, I'd like to comment on AvatarVecna's astute observations about how broad the Zealot theme is, and how many of the limitations don't seem like they really define all zealots. This point is important, because it may prove relevant to many future rounds.

As you all probably noted, the new OP for the competition came with a slight change to the formatting of the limitations. Specifically, they now have names.

This choice is not just a matter of style, however. It serves a purpose: to expand on and clarify the theme.

In this instance, I came up with a pretty clear theme: Religious or ideological Fanatic who'll stop at nothing and kill anyone and everyone who disagrees with them. I'd say it's a pretty recognizable villain trope, and a fun theme for a round.

I can't, however, get all that across in a couple of words. Maybe you can, but I can't.

So instead of doing what I did on the sheriff round, with a meandering clarification of the theme under a spoiler tag, I have the new system. The theme is calirified and specified by using a few very short phrases, each tied to a mechanical limitation that further helps get the point across. The limitation titles are therefore, in a sense, part of the theme.

I hope this clarifies my intent here for the future. Good luck to everyone cooking! As a reminder, the deadline is in 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohron View Post
    I've addressed that last round, I believe. There are no rules for equipment, and you don't have to mention it at all; on the other hand, having a list of recommended equipment that'd be particularly useful on your villain, moreso than on most characters/monsters, will certainly earn you a boost with many judges.

However, if your character absolutely needs a piece of equipment to function than intended, make sure you mention it - but expect a hit in elegance for excessive item reliance. Many judges might make the penalty more severe the more the piece of equipment is expensive for uour CR, and the more "rare" they think it is.

Good luck!

My judgments and medals!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

First is sent. Second... fluff part is challenging.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-08-17 at 04:18 PM.

My competition's medals.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I had two ideas, have abandoned the second (may post the stub after the reveal), and tidying up the first.

I might even manage some actual fluff/backstory for this one!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

One week to the deadline, folks! How's everyone doing?

My judgments and medals!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Finished with the table, outline for the backstory, just need to write it up and do playtips.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

You're right that it was previously allowed by the rules. I've changed it to no longer be the case (the rules now clarify that it is completely banned) as I felt that there were too many edge cases there.
    I'm not familiar with any of the classes/feats/etc with Leadership as a prereq—what were the edge cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I'm not familiar with any of the classes/feats/etc with Leadership as a prereq—what were the edge cases?
    I don't want to fully go into it here, for various reasons. However, I will note that it's not just about things requiring leadership, but things granting it as well.

In the end, I don't think this limitation is too harmful for the competition, and I prefer the strong ban here.

My judgments and medals!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

In the end, I don't think this limitation is too harmful for the competition, and I prefer the strong ban here.
    I don't agree with you. Yes, it isn't very harmful, but... Before, I time-to-time read books, saw rarely, but sometimes interesting PrCs with Leadership preq and thought: what I can do with it? Now, I just sigh sadly. I don't see how rule "You can take leadership as preq for something, just ignore leadership's effect" can be abused. And the same about granting. Get class, don't use leadership, maybe class has something valuable aside from it.
    I don't know really how harmful this limitation is, but several times I tried to put, for example, thrallherd in my entry. It didn't fit, but it was an option.

My competition's medals.

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also confused. The only thing I can see maybe being abuseable is if a prestige class or something buffs Leadership's effect and that was used to backdoor Leadership into the comp, but...it's easy to rule that commenting out Leadership's effect would comment out those buffs too, negating that exploit?

I dunno whether you want to spoiler the explanation or take it to a new thread or what, but at the moment your reason indistinguishable from not having a reason at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I'm also confused. The only thing I can see maybe being abuseable is if a prestige class or something buffs Leadership's effect and that was used to backdoor Leadership into the comp, but...it's easy to rule that commenting out Leadership's effect would comment out those buffs too, negating that exploit?

I dunno whether you want to spoiler the explanation or take it to a new thread or what, but at the moment your reason indistinguishable from not having a reason at all.
    First, a general point: I can't cover everything. I don't know what won't be obviously a leadership quality to folks, and to me leadership being open just invites unfortunate mistakes. Saying "it's straight out banned" makes it safer, and almost as importantly (to me) makes the ruling consistent with the Iron Chef.

However, as for my specific concerns with "edge cases" - as I said, I have my reservations with starting a discussion here, but given your concerns, here are a couple of examples:

Spoiler
    Show
    Whom does HoB's Legendary Leader's additional commander aura affect? It says "followers", but unlike the rest of the class features, it doesn't specify "followers gained from your leadership feat". Is this a reference to Followers, or just to followers - for example, your PC allies whom you command due to the entirely separate rule-system of military rank?

Is PoF's influence modifier legal? It requires leadership, and you'd calculate it partly by using your leadership stats such as you cohorts and followers, but it isn't a leadership effect. Can you use it? If so, do you treat yourself as having cohorts and followers, or not? Can you take the Rulership feat, and would it take effect?

There are more out there that I debated myself in my days as a contestant. And granted, I could sit down and make a ruling (that'll probably be debated) for every single edge case I know of, and hope that I got them all - but In the end, I felt that streamlining the ban to be the same as the one in the Iron Chef was better.

I hope that even if you wouldn't've done the same, you at least get where the decision is coming from now.

My judgments and medals!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Whom does HoB's Legendary Leader's additional commander aura affect? It says "followers", but unlike the rest of the class features, it doesn't specify "followers gained from your leadership feat". Is this a reference to Followers, or just to followers - for example, your PC allies whom you command due to the entirely separate rule-system of military rank?
    This isn't leadership issue.

I felt that streamlining the ban to be the same as the one in the Iron Chef was better.
    There isn't completely ban in the IC rules.

My competition's medals.

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    This isn't leadership issue.
    Disagree. It's a class that requires leadership, and addresses followers in an ambiguous manner.

There isn't completely ban in the IC rules.
    True - I meant the part where you used to be able to take a class that requires leadership, which you can't do in the IC: the ban on things granting leadership is admittedly harsher.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-08-22 at 05:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Leaving aside the leadership discussion for a moment;

just 3 days to the current deadline! How's everyone doing?

My judgments and medals!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Deadline imminent!

Is anyone working on an entry?

My judgments and medals!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Still working. Should have it in on time.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The reveal is upon us! Please, no posting until I give the all-clear.

My judgments and medals!