New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: IC: CtL 2E New Orleans by Night

Immediately, almost reflexively, Giant reaches out a big four fingered hand covered in moss and vines, and squeezes Laura's arm. "Thank you," he says fighting back a sob, "Thank you so much." He pulls out his phone, the small black rectangle dwarfed in his giant hand, and after a little pecking and swiping pulls up a picture to show Laura, saying, "This is her, this is Sarah."

The picture shows a teenage girl, maybe just a little younger than Monica, with wiry yellow blond hair, and freckled cheeks on skin burned a few shades darker than it's natural pale complexion. She smiles awkwardly around a mouth full of braces, wearing an oversized grey Florida University sweater, holding up a piece sign, with a pink and yellow plastic ring around her index finger.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will pat Giant on the bark of his hand as he reached out. The picture will make her freeze up a little. 'Jesus, she's just a kid.' There was Sarah and Monica, but how many children of about that age had the Gentry taken before? How many were they taking tonight even? It wasn't something that Laura wanted to dwell on for too long. 'Giant...if she can be found I'll find her.'

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The bluest, clearest spring water begins to flow from Giant's eyes, suddenly filling the bar with the cool smell of fresh grass and earth. "Thank you," he says again between blubbering drunken sobs, "Please let me know if there is anything I can do! I will gladly join you into the Hedge if it would be helpful."
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The bluest, clearest spring water begins to flow from Giant's eyes, suddenly filling the bar with the cool smell of fresh grass and earth. "Thank you," he says again between blubbering drunken sobs, "Please let me know if there is anything I can do! I will gladly join you into the Hedge if it would be helpful."
    Laura assesses Giant's size, 'You remember what it's like? Away from the market I mean. You're welcome to come along but there's no garuntee it'd be safe. I've got more experience of the Hedge then most but that doesn't mean I understand it.'

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant shakes his big head, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I'm not worried about danger he says," his words sounding slightly more slurred by the beer now, "I would face down an army of hunters, and my Keeper, if it meant saving my sister." He gives Laura stony eyed stare to show he means business.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2022-09-23 at 11:24 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura grimaces at that comment, 'I don't want it to come to that. There's no point in either of us dying if we can help it.' Or worse. Somehow running into the King out there would be bad enough, she couldn't say how another Fae might react to them.

There were some things that Giant clearly didn't want to talk about, but under the circumstances she had to ask. 'You don't have to show me, but does Sarah have a Facebook or an Instagram account? I can talk to this Goblin but it might be good to find out if there was anything going on in her life lately.'

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant nods his head in reply. "Of course," he says, "I think she had all those things, Tik Tok as well." He pulls out his phone and shows Laura his sister's Instagram feed, adding, "I think Sarah used this more." It's mostly just awkward photos with friends and short video attempts at what might be called a Vine. Sure enough, the posts seem to have stopped about eight days ago.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will examine Giant's phone intently before responding. 'Maybe it's good news. Something happened last week but it's not like what happened to us. There'd be something else there posting for her wouldn't there?'

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant shakes his head again. "I've heard of others taken, their Keeper failing to leave behind a facsimile. I... I'm afraid of the worst," he says, almost pleading with Laura.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will reach out and take Giant's hand. 'Then let's make sure it doesn't come to that. I think we should pay this Snigglebutt a visit.'

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant squeezes back, his gnarled fingers rough against Laura's skin. He nods his head and replies, "That sounds like a good start... though I think I might need to sleep some of this off first." He looks down at the empty beer mug before grinning knowingly at Laura. He shrugs then after a thought and adds, "Though maybe it's best that wretched hob doesn't see me with you? Maybe he'd be more helpful then."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

'Probably true. I don't want him raising whatever price he's going to try and charge me.' Laura grins. She assumed the Goblin might get greedy if they believed this was personal. 'I'm probably not going to sleep much for a while so I might as well head over to the market and look into the hob. He's bound to accept something for telling me where he got the phone. I'll ask around first and see who knows him.' Laura will pause to finish her beer. 'Might try and pick up some supplies while I'm there.'

Before she departs Laura will make sure she has details of roughly where she can find this Snigglebutt in the market and will make arrangements to meet up somewhere once Giant had slept.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Before she can leave, Bloody Mary steps back through the kitchen door into the bar to get Laura's tab. As she accepts Laura's card she says in a voice filled with smoke and gravel, "You take care of yourself now dear. Don't go rushing into the Hedge looking for danger, just because you can." She gives Laura a grin before taking a puff of a fresh cigarette.

By the time that Laura steps out of the bar, it is almost 5 in the morning. The sky isn't out yet, but the streets have gone from abandoned to simply sparsely haunted. Cars roll through the narrow streets following their headlights, and crunching over discarded trash in the street. Laura passes a lone resident, out for an early morning jog or a walk with their dog. Mortals just starting to get ready for their normal lives. Laura slips past all this like a ghost, or a creature of another dimension. Their eyes slip right off of her.

Laura moves back toward the Marigny to portal she knew would take her where she needed to go. Spending the point of Glamour, and stepping through the door of a port-a-potty off of Frenchman, Laura finds herself on one of the wider streets of The Tumble Down Market. Despite the hour, the market is already getting busy. No one even notices as Laura walks through the door of a shop into the Hedge. Laura is almost jostled by a pair of Pumpkin Heads, carrying bags of goblin fruit as they push through the crowd.

(OOC: So is Laura going right for Scuttlebutt or is there something she is doing first?)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Before she can leave, Bloody Mary steps back through the kitchen door into the bar to get Laura's tab. As she accepts Laura's card she says in a voice filled with smoke and gravel, "You take care of yourself now dear. Don't go rushing into the Hedge looking for danger, just because you can." She gives Laura a grin before taking a puff of a fresh cigarette.
    'Thanks Mary. I'll be careful.' Laura smiles back. She's grateful for her concern but will avoid mentioning what she's just agreed to do for Giant. Better me then someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Outside, Laura tries to ignore the few mortals that are up this early. She's never entirely gotten over the suspicion that someone might be capable of seeing what she really looked like behind her Mask.

Once Laura has entered the market she intends to go looking for information on Snigglebutt from one of the other merchants before she went looking for him. Perhaps there was something specific that he wanted that she could bring with her. Or at least she could do her research before she approached him.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Looking for any extra background that Giant doesn't know.

Laura has Allies (Tumbledown) and Hob Kin for the record

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Knowing many that might aid her, Laura first goes to her old associate, The Horned Toad to get more information about where she can find Scuttlebutt. Stuffed into a frilly Regency erra tailcoat of red velvet and lace, The Horned Toad was a giant and warted hobgoblin who helped delegate where vendors were allowed to set up in the market. As his name implied, The Horned Toad had two black curled ram's horns protruding from around a powdered white wig on his crown. Speaking in a croaking French accent, he describes the northern fringe of the market, how Laura can get there, and where she can find Scuttlebutt's stall.

(OOC: Allies used)

She would have to do some more "snooping" though, if she wanted to learn more about the hobgoblin, and that might take a little more effort.

(OOC: With Market Sense and Hobkin, please roll Presence + Persuasion/Socialize at +3)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura had always found the Horned Toad's accent deeply entertaining to be around but hadn't yet got round to finding out where he'd acquired it. Perhaps the Hedge in France was full of Goblins who sounded like that.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Presence 3 + Persuasion 1 + Bonus 3
    (7d10)[3][9][7][8][2][4][3](36)
    Any 10s
    (7d10)[1][7][5][2][4][4][8](31)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After asking around some of the side streets and less frequented alleys of the Tumbledown Market, Laura is able to find and corner a feral little hobgoblin named Mud. Despite its name, Mud is an albino white rodent thing, with bat like ears and a hairless body (except for the long curls sprouting from it's elongated nose). Mud was a scavenger of the market, and a known thief, scurrying around the shadows in a stooped posture, or on all fours till it found a cart or basket to pilfer from. But, because of its prolific exploration of the Tumbledown, Mud was generally good for a tasty morsel of information or gossip.

Once Laura had Mud cornered in a vine covered dead end, it hissed and whined. "Pleeeez! No hurt, no hurt! I help you yes?" it spoke in a terrified and shrill voice, it's long nose twitching.

(OOC: Two successes, so I'll let Laura get two pieces of information on her mark)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will approach Mud carefully. She's fully prepared for him to try to rush past her if he felt threatened enough. 'Mud' she says levelly. 'I'm not going to hurt you as long as you help me out. Give me good information and maybe I'll owe you a favour at some point.'

If Mud doesn't try to get away she'll lean down a little. 'You must know a lot of people in the market. There's a hob called Snigglebutt. He found something I'd like to hear more about. What sort of business does he do and where does he get his stock?' Even with someone like Mud she'll try to be careful over what she says.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mud takes a small and trembling step back from Laura, inching into the shadowy back of the alley. Hands still up the little hobgoblin says with guarded curiosity, "Favor? You do favor for Mud? What favor?" It's voice is like a squawking parrot.

In reply to Laura's first question, Mud replies, "Snigglebutt is no good! No no good! He takes things from The Hedge to sell at the market. He works with the Gentry! He takes bribes and sells information to them!"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will stop to consider what someone like Mud would actually want for a favour. 'I don't know. What do you need? I could get you some decent food I suppose. What do you eat anyway?'

On Snigglebutt, 'What kind of information does he sell to them.' Hobs dealing with the Gentry wasn't unheard of, but it was hard not to take offence at those who did.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For just a moment Mud's eyes widen with a desperate sort of hope. "Goblin fruits," the pathetic thing hisses, "I eats goblin fruits." As it says this, saliva begins to dribble out of the corner of Mud's lips.

In reply to Laura's real question, Mud replies hastily, "I not know. I not know; it only rumors!" Mud eyes the changeling nervously, then says, "But the rumors is that Snigglebutt helps The Gentry with their captures. But Mud never said these. Is rumors, yes?" It shakes its bony hands up before it's face in a gesture of caution.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Connecting Snigglebutt to the Gentry would only confirm Laura's worst fears. 'Meaning that he might be the type to lure mortals into the Hedge and steal their stuff? If it's true I can understand why he'd keep that quiet. I'd say it's not just me who might have a problem with that.' Whatever Mud might be doing at least he didn't seem to be working with the gentry

'I'm looking for someone Mud. If anything comes of it I'll definately owe you one, but otherwise maybe I'll see what I can pick up when I'm next in the Hedge.'

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mud nods its head nervously, giving Laura a very forced grin. The hobgoblin says, "Yes sure. What would you promise Mud in return?" It's rheumy eyes seem to flash, or maybe even glow orange for a split second, and a true and greedy grin spreads across its face. For the first time, it takes a curious step towards the Changeling.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura doesn't step back as Mud moves closer. 'Goblin Fruit. Sometimes I can find it growing out there in the Hedge.' She'll watch his reaction closely. 'I'm heading out there again soon. If I find anything good out there maybe I can trade you for it when I get back.'

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The pathetic Hobgoblin nods its head with excitement. It replies, "Yes, yes! I find anything out about Snigglebutt, and you give Mud goblin fruits! Yes!" It lashes a veiny pink tongue across it's long yellow needle teeth.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura can't help but focus on Mudd's teeth but doesn't take it personally. She had seen worse.'I can't say how long I'll be, but if you need to find me ask around at the Exchange. Someone will be able to get in contact.' Laura had had a lot of reason to use the Exchange in the past and knew a fair few people who dealt there regularly. 'Otherwise I'll look you up.'

If there was nothing else Laura will go looking for Snigglebutt.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Following the directions provided by The Horned Toad, and by Giant, Laura makes her way toward the outskirts of the Tumbledown Market. By the time she had parted ways with Mud, the streets were beginning to swell with opened stalls and the bustle of patrons; Lost and Hob alike. Laura pushes her way through throngs of busy shoppers, past strange barkers advertising stranger wares.

At one point The Tumbledown Players lead a procession that blocks Laura's progress towards the outskirts. Their boisterous brass instruments honking an upbeat blues inspired rhythm that would make any Second Line proud, playing call and response to the dark skinned singer crooning about the rocky love between a Fox and a Leather clad rocker. The music drowns out the frenetic chorus of the market vendors. At another point, Laura is grabbed by the wrist and pulled into the stall of a towering portly fish monger, whose face was that of a red speckled carp.

Escaping this, Laura finally reaches the fringes where the market streets are quieter, and the rare shopper sticks to shadows trying best not to be recognized.

Snigglebutt's stall is a spread out mess, seemingly made of old sneaker boxes and plywood. A folding table is covered in all sorts of odds and ends; tarnished pieces of jewelry, baskets of withered goblin fruit, a fine looking umbrella, a number of sad looking stuffed animals, and the like. Hunched over in the stall, chewing hot gristle off of a long charred bone (lord knows from what creature), stands Snigglebutt. The hobgoblin is maybe just under five feet tall; a bipedal dog-lizard covered in a mix of soft green scales and shaggy brown fur, and dressed in a pair of tattered and dirty denim overalls. It eyes Laura warily as she approaches, its nostrils flaring as it scents her. Only when she is near enough does Snigglebutt say in a gruff voice, "Want something?"

(OOC: Please also give me an Int + Streetwise roll)
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

On another day Laura might try to take what enjoyment she could out of the market, but her dreams and her business here made that difficult at the moment. When the fishmonger pulls her towards his stall she'll poilitely but firmly leaver it's fingers off her wrist.

Once she reaches Snigglebutt's stall Laura can't help but notice the stuffed animals. Had they had owners until fairly recently? 'Window shopping' she'll reply. Laura will try to assess how much of Snigglebutt's wares might have plausibly been recently taken from a mortal kidnap victim. She'll also be on the look out for anything that Snigglebutt might use to defend himself in an emergency. He didn't seem like the type to have flunkies to protect himself but who could tell.

Spoiler
    Show

Laura awkwardly has no streetwise so I think that's minus 1 for the lack of a social skill
    Int 2 (-1 penalty)
    (1d10)[4]
    Any 10
    (1d10)[2]

Wits 3 + Composure 3
    (6d10)[1][8][4][10][9][6](38)
    Any 10s
    (6d10)[2][6][3][8][4][9](32)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Laura can feel Snigglebutt's eyes following her as she studies the wares on the cart. The stuffed animals on the cart are matted, tattered and dirty. A stuffed octopus missing a button eye smiles up at Laura, despite its grievous injury. A floppy eared rabbit in overalls eerily similar to the Hobgoblins, sits with its head bowed heavy as if in tired mourning. They are mundane objects mostly, nothing clearly made of magic fabrics or carrying some overt sign of coming from Arcadia. However, a frowning lion doll with broken yellow crown catches Laura's eyes. This carries the shimmer of Glamour. Closer look confirms for Laura that this is likely a Token, a piece of shredded soul, torn from a mortal as they crossed through the thorns of The Hedge.

"Ah, you have a good eye," Snigglebutt's low voice interrupts Laura's studies, his hot breath reeking of smoked meat. "I found that Lion during one of my journeys through the Hedge. That is no ordinary doll!" the hobgoblin says proudly.

(OOC: Laura gains no additional knowledge on Snigglebutt from the failed Streetwise roll)
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will force herself to ignore the Hob's gaze as she browses his wares. Getting angry might make her feel better but it wouldn't neccessarily help. 'You opening a toystore?' After he admits to the lion doll being a Token, 'That's obvious. You know, you don't usually find something like this just lying around. Did you happen to find anything similar close to where you found it? Something like that should be quite valuable to the right person.'