New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: IC: CtL 2E New Orleans by Night

Giant doesn't say anything in reply. What was there to say? But he watches her sprinkle the gold dust out with growing concern, especially when she gestures to the thorns. "What, what are you doing? Do you see something?" he asks. But Laura can see in his eyes that he knows exactly what she is doing, and what she is seeing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes, those types of thorns, so yes, a border towards Arcadia
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Giant doesn't say anything in reply. What was there to say? But he watches her sprinkle the gold dust out with growing concern, especially when she gestures to the thorns. "What, what are you doing? Do you see something?" he asks. But Laura can see in his eyes that he knows exactly what she is doing, and what she is seeing.
    Laura's face visibly fell at the sight of the thorns. 'There's a trail. Can you see it. Whoever was here left through there.' She'll point towards the cluster of thorns before turning back towards Giant. 'I meant what I said before. Maybe we could share this peach. I don't want to bring anyone with me but I don't want to leave you here alone either.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

This is me wondering if even trying this now is a terrible idea. On the other hand it does say that the Peach lets you travel the thorns as if they were the Hedge.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Through... through the thorns," the words stutter and stumble out of Giant's mouth. His eyes go wide as he follows Laura's gesture towards the tangle of barbed vines, which seem to shift or almost writhe like a tangle of snakes or tentacles. He shakes his head violently side to side, and says, "You do mean it! You want to walk through the thorns, back to Arcadia!" His voice is a mix of incredulousness, fear and rage. He was almost screaming, but not at Laura, he just was no longer in control of his voice. But all this dies suddenly, the rising mania suddenly receding. Giant looks down at his feet, bowed over with shame. "For Sarah," he says in a low voice, "If it means getting her back, I'll do anything."

(OOC: I am not saying you shouldn't but this would be a very bold and possibly very dangerous maneuver. I will say if Laura is sharing the peach, I have to mitigate it's effects somehow. I could either limit it's benefit, or limit the length of time it is beneficial for. The latter seems to make the most sense, but let me know what you think)
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

The sight of the thorns made Laura's skin crawl, but they and all they represented mostly made her angry. What would it take to burn them all down? She was silent for a moment before responding, 'Maybe someone's tried this before. I'm sure one of us has at some point, but if it worked out for them it's not like people are talking about it.' If she made it back maybe she could ask around. 'Even if it works we don't know how long it'll work for and it's not like there's a timer telling us to get the hell out. Not sure anyone living there won't be able to know us for what we are either. So if we go in it's for scouting only. I'm not going back there but it'd be a lot worse if I lose you as well.'

She'll turn back to Giant with a look of sympathy. 'You know what they say about the way that time works over there. Maybe eating the Peach will make it different for us...' That was a gigantic 'maybe'. How much time would be likely to pass for them back in New Orleans if she was wrong. '...but it won't be the same for Sarah. I'm sorry but the time to catch up to her and maybe make it easy was before she passed through there. For all I know we might only get one chance at this. Do we go now or do we go back and see if we can find out something to make sure we do it properly?' Laura wasn't sure she would be able to live with herself if she didn't offer.

Show

Feel like I've written myself into a position that it's difficult to walk back. Changeling seems like it's about terrible things happening to people but Laura is someone who might try to mitigate them if she can. If not this I do have to ask about the social consequences for murdering Snigglebutt because I'm not sure what else to do. The flavour text for Beasts in the book suggests that that sort of thing happens ocasionally.

The time thing might be the best argument against going in now beyond it being dangerous, but I don't think that's going to stop Giant. Going to let him decide because Laura's guilty for not stopping this and because she has Protector and Family as Needle and Thread. I suppose I should ask about Wp for either especially if we're going in now.

The limiting the time the peach is effective for makes the most sense.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant stands there frozen, his wooden face a mask of pain as he listens to Laura. When she finishes he shakes his head. "I promised myself I would never go back to The Bristle Crowned Gardener's greenhouse," he says through gritted teeth, "I fought so hard to escape... so hard." The changeling's fists open and close, the sound of branches scraping against each other. His gaze shifts from his feet up to Laura, the pain in his eyes now transformed into red hot anger, "But for my sister... I'd do anything." Giant's fists close for the last time, and Laura can hear the grating sound of his teeth grinding together as he adds, "But not now. It's probably too late for Sarah. If they have her across the thorns... if she's been taken like it sounds, then it's probably too late; she's been... changed. Like us. I don't want her to endure any more torture than necessary, but we only have one peach. So if we're gonna go back for her, we should go back with a plan, and a bigger team. I know you can do it, but I think we need more hands."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

The reference to the greenhouse made Laura feel vaguely sick. She had been back long enough to realise that many changelings had had worse durrances then she had. Gently, 'We made it out. So did a lot of people. They can't control us as well as they think they can.' On the Peach, 'Back home we live next to the largest markets of stuff in the whole Hedge. Whats the betting we can find another of these things.'

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giant nods his head, the pain receding just slightly from his eyes. "Fair, though I can't imagine it will be cheap. Do you think you can get us back in one piece? Anything else you want to check out before we try?"

(OOC: Happy to close things out here, unless there's anything you want to do before we do)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

'Everything has it's price.' Laura responded. 'And for that reason I'm taking the spade back with us. Maybe we can something for it.'

Show

Ok to move on otherwise

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Act 1 Scene ii

"When the moon hits your eye
    Like a big pizza pie
    That's amore!

-Dean Martin

"So your name's Chihiro? What a pretty name! And it belongs to me now!"
    -Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi)

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."
    -Alice in Wonderland

Laura had agreed to meet Giuseppe for dinner that night at a fancy restaurant in the Southern Tumbledown Market known as Belletuaxe's. How the strange little hobgoblin had managed a last-minute reservation, Laura would never know, and she had accepted the date begrudgingly as a means to obtaining her much cherished peach. Though Giuseppe had offered to pick Laura up at her home, she had thought a hobgoblin marching through the mortal streets of New Orleans might be a bad idea and had agreed to meet it at the restaurant.

When Laura arrives, Giuseppe is standing outside, the hob's short frame draped in a heavy oversized tweed jacket that might have been handsome on a human twice the size, and a pair of charcoal flannel dress pants. The hobgoblin stands in front of the restaurant, eyes nervously scanning the street for Laura. The building was painted a faded red, and its overhanging balcony shielded Giuseppe from a light humid rain. Clutched in one of Giuseppe's hands was a lavish if not beleaguered looking bouquet of flowers. When Giuseppe sees the Changeling approach, its lips curl up in a big grin, causing it's handlebar mustache to flutter. "Ah, bonjour bonjour madame," Giuseppe calls while Laura is still a quarter block a way. Laura could hear the pitter patter of the rain, and the din of customers inside the warm looking restaurant.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

After what has just happened Laura is in no mood for a date, especially when it was with someone that she wouldn't neccessarily have willingly chosen to have dinner with, but a deal was a deal. Since her return she had been led to understand the importance of keeping a reputation for fair dealing if only because it made it easier to deal with the inhabitants of the Tumbledown. Worse was the prospect that Wyrd might extract a cost for breaking her word. It had not happened to her yet but Laura had heard stories.

As such she's obliged to honour the spirit of the agreement and get showered and dressed up. Laura typically dresses for comfort but she has one dark blue dress that she picked up in a moment of optimism and will wear under her coat. She'll leave her sword at home but she still wears a sheathed dagger openly at her belt. She is not prepared enough to have brought an umbrella with her.

Despite herself Laura will smile at the sight of Giuseppe, who seemed to be putting in the effort. 'Hello Giuseppe. Sorry I'm running late.'

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Ah, no apologies. No apologies madame!" Giuseppe replies, stepping towards Laura to push the bouquet of flowers into her hands. Spurred by chivalry, the hobgoblin removes its tweed jacket to throw over Laura's shoulders, chiding, "My dear, you are soaking wet. Come come, let's get inside where it is warm and the food is delicious." The jacket smells of raw onions, of wet wool, and sea salt. Giuseppe guides her towards the restaurant entrance, and notices the weapon on her belt. "I hope you are not planning on using that tonight," the hobgoblin says, offering a buffoonish grin that causes its mustache to curl up and around its nose.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will allow herself to be covered. The smell wasn't that bad. 'Oh, you've been here before have you? Is that how you managed to get a table so easily?' On her dagger, 'That's just for emergencies. Or if I need it to cut my food.' She wasn't especially worried about Giuseppe, but she had no reason to trust him either.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Oh yes, oh yes," Giuseppe says answering the question, "the head chef is an old friend of mine. I had to, uh, make a little agreement to get this reservation." The hobgoblin offers its big dopy smile before turning and opening the door and saying, "Well, shall we?"

The two are seated promptly. While Laura could imagine fancier restaurants, this was a white table cloth full service establishment. The staff were a group of red scaled kobalds, less than three feet high, and dressed in black tie uniforms. The food too was delicious. The first course was snails boiled in butter. The second a faerie berry salad and spring greens salad, and Giuseppe even ordered a roast beast for an entrée. But as the dinner went on, the magic of the evening quickly dissolved. Giuseppe soon ran out of things to talk about; charming and kind demeanor crumbling till the hobgoblin was stuttering and sweating. At one point Laura's date reached over to pour her some water and knocked the plate of roast beast all over the table, and her lap and the floor. By the end of the night, it was clear that Laura and Giuseppe would not be going on a second date.

(OOC: Will allow you to react to this, and then we will move things forward. Poor Giuseppe)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will take the opportunity to relax and enjoy the food. Maybe this would take her mind off things. Even if the company was perhaps not ideal it was better then the Hedge. Besides, given that Giuseppe looked like he was trying she was inclined to be nice. Or to try anyway.

After Giuseppe's accident she'll do her best to wipe the food off of her dress with a napkin. 'Giuseppe relax. You haven't been on many dates lately have you?'

Show

Soothing Nerves
    Empathy 1 + Manipulation 1
    (2d10)[9][7](16)
    Any 10s
    (2d10)[1][3](4)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There is something very sweet about this, and that your character is going out of her way to make a hobgoblin feel relaxed and understood, despite things not going well. I'm going to give Laura a beat just for her kindness in a world of darkness game where it usually isn't necessary or good to do so.

Laura can see that the hobgoblin is practically trembling, its head bowed in embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry," Giuseppe says, and when the creature looks up, Laura can see its eyes are filled with tears. The hobgoblin pulls the white linen napkin from its lap and plunges it into a its water glass, before offering it to Laura. "Here, take this," Giuseppe blubbers, "it will help minimize the staining. I'm so sorry Laura. I'm so embarrassed. I know you didn't even want to go on a date with me. I'm so stupid!" Despite the hobgoblin's self-hating remarks, Giuseppe does everything it can to help Laura clean herself off, even offering to let her use its tweed coat as a blanket to hide any remaining stain. After things are a little more settled, Giuseppe will say, "You are so kind Laura, as well as beautiful. May I do something to help you? Can I offer you a favor of some sort?"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

'It's ok. It'll come right out.' Laura will take the wet napkin and dab at the worst of the mess. She felt bad for the guy, even as she was a little exasperated by him. She hadn't had a date like this since she was a teenager, and mortal.

Might as well be honest, where was the harm. 'Giuseppe, I had some bad news today so given the way my head is at the moment I have to say I appreciate the distraction. Not to mention the food.' The comment on her looks stung even as she knew he meant well. How much of her appearance was a product of the King in Yellow? On the favour, 'You don't owe me anything Giuseppe, but on the other hand, if you happen to hear anything about anyone trading in mortal slaves I would appreciate hearing about it.'

Show

I'm just surprised I got a success there

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giuseppe's eyebrow raises at the request, concern suddenly carved deeply into the lines of its face. "Trafficking in mortals?" the hob asks, a hand reflexively coming up to stroke the long blades of its mustache, "Is there anyone in particular you are suspecting?" The way the hobgoblin asked the question seemed to imply that it might already know Laura's answer.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

'That one I already know about.' Laura smiles. 'It's anyone he might be working with that I'm interested in. But if you happen to hear about something like that from anyone else ... I would like to hear about it.'

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The hobgoblin nods its head with grave agreement, its ears flopping up and down with the movement. "Absolutely," Giuseppe says, its voice hushed, "anything for you Ms. Laura!"

(OOC: Happy to allow this to play out further, or to move on based on what you want to do)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will suggest getting dessert. 'Whatever else might happen I think we should stay in touch. There's a decent chance I'm going to have to do something very dangerous soon and I'd like to be prepared.'

Show

Sorry. Stuck working out if there was something I could get from him besides the obvious.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Giuseppe dutifully requests the dessert menu, and makes a grand show of making sure to order Laura whatever she wants. The hobgoblin appears more relaxed through the rest of the dinner. As Giuseppe escorts Laura out of the restaurant, it offers a sheepish grin and says, "Thank you for a lovely evening. This might have been one of the best nights of Giuseppe's life." The three foot tall hobgoblin bows at the waist, its leathery ears flapping like bat wings, and grabs Laura's hand to plant a dutiful kiss. Rising Giuseppe adds, "I will keep my eyes out as promised." Grinning from nearly ear to ear, the hobgoblin trots away, leaving Laura under the awning.

The rain had died down at this point, but the air was filled with the scent of ozone and wet cobblestone. Dark grey clouds obscured the stars in the night's sky, and Laura left the restaurant to go find Old Shadow. This time of night, she knew his shop was likely closed in the Tumbledown Market, but that she could instead find him at Idlewild, a small hole in the wall pub off of Bourbon Street where Changelings often mingled with "normals". It wasn't a bad place to pick up a little glamour, but Old Shadow seemed to just like the anonimity, the bland beer, and the company of the bartender, Skydog.

It was about a fifteen minute walk out of the Tumbledown, and Laura used a door that took her just a block or so away from Idlewild. The long storm windows of the bar were open, and something akin to Southern Rock, or maybe an old school country was pouring onto the street from the stereos inside. From outside, Laura could see Old Shadow curled over on the far side of the bar, nursing a beer.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura will allow her hand to be kissed with a slight smile. 'Glad to hear it Giuseppe.'

She's not really dressed for Idlewild, but needs must. There was always the chance that if she attracted too much attention some drunk would decide to bother her but at least she was with someone. She'll pull up a chair next to the other Changeling, 'Evening Shadow, you got time to talk?'

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Old Shadow looks up from his glass and gives Laura a big wide yellow toothed grin. "Well don't you look nice Laura," he says with a small chuckle, adding, "I hope your date went alright." He pats the bar stool next to him, inviting Laura to sit, and says, "What is it you would like to talk about?"

For a moment he glances furtively over at a group of college aged boys sitting together at a nearby makeshift table, made out of an old beer cask.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

On the date, 'Better then I was expecting. I thought he'd have some sort of angle but he just wanted to buy me dinner.' Laura sounded incredulous. 'It was quite sweet really.'

She'll order a beer for herself and will buy Shadow one if he was running low. 'I think I'm going to do something dangerous. So I need to be prepared.' It was easier to talk about the idea if she had something to drink. 'You've been back longer then I have, and you know people....Has anyone ever gone back into the thorns on purpose?'

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Shadow chuckles at Laura's description of the date. But after, he sighs and his expression becomes serious. "Just don't forget, Giuseppe is a Hobgoblin. Perhaps it will prove to be a loyal friend, but it is not a person and does not have the ability to think like one," he says with a caring sort of sternness.

Shadow accepts the drink gratefully, though with a laugh says, "I'll have to be careful though to make sure I don't stumble home." He listens intently, his expression growing ever more concerned, till his big bushy eyebrows are practically riding up on his bald and wrinkled head. He replies to her question in a hushed voice, "Brave Changelings have gone across the Thorns every now and then. It... generally doesn't go well for them. The Others have so much power in Arcadia, but it has been done, and a good handful of our kind have received their freedom thanks to such bravery, or foolishness." He sighs again and shakes his head. "You aren't think... what is it you are planning on doing dear?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura takes the comment on Hobgoblins seriously. 'As in if he gets attached he might show up at my appartment unannounced?' She'll would prefer to avoid that but she had other things to worry about. 'I'll have to deal with that if it happens. For the most part I'm pretty sure I can take him.'

On her plans. 'You know Giant?' If he doesn't Laura will take a moment to explain who he was. 'They took his sister. That's where I was today. Maybe if I had been quicker we could have tracked her down in the Hedge before they passed over.' Laura looks stricken.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Old Shadow shrugs at Laura's questions and with a thoughtful hmmm, he replies, "Perhaps, though that wasn't necessarily what I was referring to. Hobgoblins are things of The Wyrd; they are concepts and not humans. No matter how much like a person a hob might behave, it is ultimately a construct... like a computer AI. You just don't know how it might behave, because it just isn't human." This all comes out matter-of-factly, Shadow finishes with another tired sigh.

Shadow nods his head slowly, indicating that he does indeed know Giant. His expression grows concerned as Laura continues, the heavy wrinkles in his brow deepening. Before he speaks, Shadow takes a long drink from the beer Laura bought him, adams apple bobbing with each lusty gulp. He puts the glass down nearly half empty. Then he says, "You are very kind Laura, but I don't think you can blame yourself." He studies her with his cold grey eyes, one hand stroking at his long mustache. "But I take it you are planning to try to rescue her then," Shadow says, rather than asks, his voice low and serious.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Old Shadow shrugs at Laura's questions and with a thoughtful hmmm, he replies, "Perhaps, though that wasn't necessarily what I was referring to. Hobgoblins are things of The Wyrd; they are concepts and not humans. No matter how much like a person a hob might behave, it is ultimately a construct... like a computer AI. You just don't know how it might behave, because it just isn't human." This all comes out matter-of-factly, Shadow finishes with another tired sigh.
    Laura takes Shadow's words seriously. 'Maybe you're right, but I guess if we followed through with that it'd be easier to stay away from New Orleans and the Market altogether. I don't know if I can stand to do that yet.' Laura's understanding was that at least they might be safer from the Gentry in New Orleans. 'But if a Hob's like a computer program isn't there a way to deal with them on that basis? Like an anti-virus?' Laura asks the question rhetorically but is suddenly curious if Shadow has an answer to that.

Laura will take a long drink before answering the second point. In part so she can hold her nerve. 'Maybe. But I think that depends on finding out whether it's even possible first. No point in even trying if I end up lost in the Hedge.' That brought up a lot of unwelcome memories. 'Still more so if someone comes looking for me the second I cross over. I realise this is a big ask Shadow.'

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Laura takes Shadow's words seriously. 'Maybe you're right, but I guess if we followed through with that it'd be easier to stay away from New Orleans and the Market altogether. I don't know if I can stand to do that yet.' Laura's understanding was that at least they might be safer from the Gentry in New Orleans. 'But if a Hob's like a computer program isn't there a way to deal with them on that basis? Like an anti-virus?' Laura asks the question rhetorically but is suddenly curious if Shadow has an answer to that.
    Old Shadow shrugs at the question, pausing to take another gulp of his drink before replying, "Possibly. Not my area of expertise, if you know what I mean." He chuckles at this, though it is a little wet with drink.

Laura will take a long drink before answering the second point. In part so she can hold her nerve. 'Maybe. But I think that depends on finding out whether it's even possible first. No point in even trying if I end up lost in the Hedge.' That brought up a lot of unwelcome memories. 'Still more so if someone comes looking for me the second I cross over. I realise this is a big ask Shadow.'
    "It's possible, just very dangerous," Shadow replies, shaking his head. He adds solemnly, "You will need help," letting the statement hang in the air between the two of them.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Old Shadow shrugs at the question, pausing to take another gulp of his drink before replying, "Possibly. Not my area of expertise, if you know what I mean." He chuckles at this, though it is a little wet with drink.
    'Something to look into maybe.' Laura says thoughtfully as she sips her own drink. She's disappointed to hear that but not surprised. 'Unless you happen to know any wizards around here. Maybe one who might need a hand with something.'

"It's possible, just very dangerous," Shadow replies, shaking his head. He adds solemnly, "You will need help," letting the statement hang in the air between the two of them.
    'No doubt.' Laura replied watching Shadow closely. 'Otherwise I might as well give up this idea now. Would you happen to know anyone crazy enough that they might want to come with me?'