New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: IC: CtL 2E New Orleans by Night

Laura's question causes immediate distress to spread across the girl's face. "I mean... I don't," Monica fumbles, "You know what I am talking about, don't you? Take me back to that market!" The girl's eyes begin to go glassy as she starts to bat away tears.

Only the last part of what Monica said was audible to Kevin, but seeing the girl's distress he steps forward. "Hey, what is going on? What are you two talking about." There is a little anger in the man's voice, but mostly he just appears to be confused.

Monica sniffles and puts a hand up, warning him to stay back.

(OOC: Convincing Monica her experiences were not real will be a challenging Subterfuge roll if you want to roll for it)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2024-02-04 at 06:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

'Hey, it's ok. Whatever it is we can fix it.' Laura will move closer and is prepared to give the girl a hug if she seems to be breaking down further. 'I met you before remember? You were looking for directions in the French Market. You did seem kind of tired. It's Monica isn't it?'

Spoiler
    Show

Gaslighting roll
    Manipulation 1 + Subterfuge 1 + Wp 3
    (5d10)[5][2][4][6][3](20)
    Any 10s
    (5d10)[4][6][1][9][5](25)

Protector may or may not be relevent here for getting that Wp back. Your call

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Laura moves closer to offer a comforting hug, but her words don't seem to land as intended. The girl steps back, her lips pursed and eyes narrowed. "No," she hisses, and then again louder, "No!" Monica's face has turned red, her eyes shut closed, her body shaking. "I know what I saw," she screams, loud enough for people across the street to stop their conversation and stare.

Now Kevin is at her side, putting a hand on her shoulder. Suddenly gaining the upper hand, he says to Laura, "Hey mam', I don't know who you really are, but I think you need to back off." He narrows his eyes and adds with vindication, "Lawyer or not!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Protector may or may not be relevent here for getting that Wp back. Your call
    Do you feel that Laura is ignoring her own needs to help Monica out in some way? Regardless, she gets a WP if she can do something to protect or strengthen her relationship with her Touchstone.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

It was hard for Laura not to feel sympathetic. If someone saw the Tumbledown even without knowing what it was it was likely that it would be hard for them to think of anything else. 'Then what was it exactly you saw?' Laura will ignore Kevin.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Ah, so here that would be only ignoring her own needs in the widest possible sense. I'll see if I can work out how to milk this.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For a split second, Laura's sudden change of demeanor seems to have worked on the girl, whose face softens, her eyes going wide with sudden surprise. The girl even opens up her mouth to speak, but before she can, Kevin is in front of her, his arms crossed over his chest defiantly. "Hey, I said you need to back off," he says sternly. Laura could probably turn this kid into minced meat, but he didn't seem to realize this. Now Laura can feel eyes on her coming from all directions. This was getting out of hand, and they were clearly making a scene, not that Kevin noticed that yet either.

Show
    I think the application of Protector is simply dependent on what Laura is trying to achieve and how this aligns with the character's perspective. If she is tryin to keep Monica from the truth, despite wanting deep down to be honest, I think it would be appropriate, for example, as I would see this as a form of ignoring her own needs.

I was simply asking how you saw Laura's actions from your perspective.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Now will regard Kevin briefly with a hard look. She ought to try and avoid hurting anyone who didn't seem to deserve it but sometimes it would be so easy. She'll only say, 'Don't' in a tone of obvious contempt before turning back to the girl.

If she's not interupted, 'Monica I'd give you my phone number if I thought you'd take it. If you need anything. Anything at all, there's a bar called Mary's in the Eastern Marigny. The lady who runs it knows how to get in touch with me and she may even feed you in the meantime. My name is Laura.'

Show

In that case I'd say it'd be easier for Laura to just explain everything but it in no way does Monica any favours to know about the Tumbledown for certain. Not telling her might also leave Monica in a fairly bad situation depending on what might be going on with Kevin, so ignoring her own needs to protect her in favour of protecting her from something that might be worse might make sense.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Sure, I'll take it," Monica says, speaking up before her boyfriend can cut her off. She pulls out her own cellphone to put it in; the iphone has cracks running up and down the screen and has clearly seen better days. Even with Kevin standing between them, there is little he can do to stop the exchange. She will add, "I'm Monica. Maybe we could meet some time. Maybe you would be willing to tell me the truth?" She narrows her eyes and stares straight into Laura's.

The man standing between them will go from staring daggers at Laura to giving Monica a look of disdain, but he'll say nothing more. Still, Laura can feel the eyes of nearby pedestrians watching though perhaps public interest was waning slightly.

Show
    I think I follow. Happy to give back a WP. That brings you to 4/5. Also a beat for your third aspiration, which we can consider resolved, or you can keep it further if you want.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2024-02-11 at 05:19 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura exhaled and regarded Monica in turn. 'Let me buy you dinner sometime and we can talk about anything you want.' She avoids confirming if there was any truth to talk about. 'I take it you've got a place to stay?' She said with a brief glance towards Kevin.

Show

I think fufilling the aspiration depends on how we define saving here, but I'm not against it.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Deal, as long as you promise to tell the truth" Monica says, stepping around the man. She extends a hand to Laura, offering to shake on it (OOC: Do you want to seal this?). Kevin throws both hands up, and grumbles something nasty, but doesn't attempt to get in the way. Monica adds, "Just let me know when," ignoring her boyfriend.

To Laura's question she replies, "Yeah, I've got a place to stay." She looks back at Kevin and gives him a sympathetic, almost pitying smile.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura watched Monica for a few moments and wondered how best to handle the situation. At least it would allow her to keep an eye on Monica if she was set on continuing with her quest. She'll shake the girl's hand, 'I promise not to lie to you.' Telling the truth and not lying were not quite the same thing. 'I'm expecting to be out of town for a bit, but perhaps when I get back.'

Show

Let's seal that

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Monica's hand is warm, her handshake almost familiar. She smiles at Laura and says, "Deal. Do you have any idea when you'll be back. I guess just let me know when."

(OOC: As part of the sealing, is there anything you want to hold Monica to then?)
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

'That's going to depend on other people, but I hope to be back by next week.' It was hardly an exact science in the Hedge. Either she would be back quickly or it might take her a very long time indeed. If she came back at all. 'I'll call you as soon as I can but in the meantime promise me you'll go speak to Mary if you need anything. Just give her my name.' Laura knew enough now to know what a promise was worth.

Show

Let me know if that works. Laura will call her when she's back in exchange for Monica going to see Mary if she needs to

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Monica nods her head, her eyes fluttering. "I promise," she says, gravity in her voice, though she couldn't be aware of the Glamour that Laura was tying the promise with, could she?

She lets go of Laura's hand, just as Kevin steps forward again. He places a hand on each shoulder and says impatiently, "Can we go now?"

(OOC: Laura spends 1 glamour to seal the promise, bringing her to 8. But I'm going to give you a second WP, as rather than making Monica promise something beneficial to Laura, she spends the glamour just to help keep Monica safe. Happy to move on, maybe to the next day unless there is something else you want to accomplish.)
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura dismisses the idea that Monica was aware of the glamour as soon as she thinks of it. Laura looks less unusual then some of the Changelings she's seen in New Orleans, but she still doesn't look even slightly human.

She'll note the possessive gesture of Kevin but will say nothing. 'Then I will be seeing you around. Remember what I said.' She won't acknowledge Kevin and certainly won't apologise for intervening. The second Kevin is looking the other way she'll look Monica in the eye and mouth quietly 'You can do better.'

Given that she's not sure she'll have the opportunity again for a while Laura will go shopping for snacks and a bottle of wine before going home to watch a movie.

Show

Yeah, ok to move on to tomorow

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The rest of the night passes rather uneventfully. Laura stops off at a corner store off of Frenchman for a bottle of wine and some snacks. The shopkeeper barely pays her any mind till she comes up to pay, and the rest of the night is spent ignoring the noise from nearby Frenchman street, and the heavy sticky heat.

Laura gets up early as planned and after her morning preparations, heads back to meet Old Shadow. She passes into The Tumbledown Market, squeezing herself between a pair of fence posts in what should be a blind back-alley, and finds herself walking onto a arterial that branches off of one of the larger stall lined streets. Most of the vendors are starting to set up, and there are a handful of stalls that have been busted down and left unattended. Laura had agreed to meet Shadow before he opened up for the morning, though of course she had some time if there was something else she wanted to do first.

(OOC: I think we'll get through Laura's meeting with Shadow, then call it a scene/game session and count up some beats. Laura would gain a WP for a night's rest, but is already full.)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura is expecting it to be too early for there to be much stock on show or others browsing the market but she always keeps an eye out for both of those things anyway. In the Tumbledown you never knew what you might run into or how valuable it might turn out to be. If there's anyone around she'll look for a vendor who might owe her a favour.

Show

Going to rely on Allies (Tumbledown) to find someone trustworthy if possible.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As she begins to navigate the Tumbledown Market, Laura decides to stop off and say hello to The Horned Toad. Today the hobgoblin is dressed in a dove grey worsted three piece suit with peak lapels and a powder blue neckerchief. It stands on its bulbous hind legs on a podium, shiny warted green flesh exploding out from behind its tailored clothing. As Laura approaches, something akin to a smile spreads across its lipless face, as it stares down the Changeling from behind one round monaceled eye. "Looking for anything in particular this morning Lady Laura," the Horned Toad croaks, dipping its neckless head in a courteous bow.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Sometimes being called 'Lady' back here made Laura uncomfortable, but she had long since given up asking people not to refer to her like that. She would just have to live like it meant something good. 'Morning Toad.' She'll return the bow with a nod and a smile. 'Only if you got something good, but I don't think I have the time to deal for it anyway. I'm looking for a failsafe, in case the thing I'm going to try to do doesn't work out. Outside of the Hedge I would have called it a Will.'

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The pouch of The Horned Toad's throat billows out then in again, as it ponders Laura's words. It raises a webbed hand to scratch at the massive curly cue horns sprouting from its temple and then says, "I apologize my Lady, I may not understand. Are you looking for someone who can take care of your businesses if you don't come back, or for a way back from The Hedge if the trail disappears and the thorns block your way back?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura hadn't expected that. 'Well I was looking for the first one, but since you asked. Is something like that even possible?' They did say you could find almost anything in the Tumbledown.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A small smirk spreads across the horned toad's warty face. "Anything is possible when approached from the right perspective," it croaks, adding coyly, "and for the right price." The black slit pupils of its bulbous eyes shift slowly left then right, as if it were scanning the area for anyone listening in.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

'Might need to give me more to go on then.' Laura hadn't expected to be having this conversation, but at this point she ought to know how to play the game. 'Plus, time may be short. So if the price is too high for me at the moment maybe I won't waste your time, but hypothetically, what do you have in mind?'

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The grin fades from The Horned Toad's visage. Eyes narrowing it replies, "Your hesitance tells me you could not afford the price of such an agreement." A webbed hand comes up to scratch at a dry patch of skin under one of its horns, as it slowly closes (blinks?) its eyes. Then with a sigh, The Horned Toad says, "I will not waste either of our time. If you are looking for someone who can take care of your affairs, if you do not return... I can arrange this. If you will order a dish with rice in it, and give half of it to the first person you see, before noon, then I when you see me next, I will have this arranged for you." The hobgoblin's throat expands with a growling ribbit, and then it gives Laura a bow.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

'I appreciate it Toad, but about that other thing.' Laura had wondered if Toad's deflection had intended to be a ploy to drum up interest. It had worked, as Laura couldn't help but wonder what she might be missing out on. 'You telling me you don't have the time to explain the price. Maybe I won't have the time to pay it but I can guarantee if it I need it later I'll regret not taking you up on your offer now.' Laura will check to see if Toad had other likely customers. 'Come on, what's the harm in telling me.'

Show

If it's helpful
    Presence 3 + Persuasion 1
    (4d10)[10][6][7][10](33)
    Any 10s
    (4d10)[3][8][7][2](20)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Laura's response seems to tickle the hobgoblin deeply. It croaks out a deep bellowing laugh, slapping both of its webbed hands over its protuberant belly. It then waves a defensive hand and says, "Oh ho ho ho no, I did not mean to imply that I have not the time. I simply meant to that no deal or contract with The Wyrd comes without its cost... and your hesitance made led me to believe you would not e wiling to pay the price." The Horned Toad pauses here, studying Laura's face for sincerity, and then it leans forward conspiratorially. "I can introduce you to a friend who can teach you how, but simply put, it would require tying part of your soul to an object that you keep in... your realm. The act is, well it can be quiet jarring, and tends not to be so good for one's sanity, if you know what I mean." Despite there being no one nearby, Toad says this all in a dead whisper, absolute seriousness in its words and expression.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Laura nods. That made sense to her. 'I'll pay the cost if it works Toad. You don't know what I did to get back here the first time.' Laura is very sincere. 'Whose this friend?'

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The hobgoblin's eyes go wide at Laura's response, thin filmy lids pulling back farther from the yellow orbs. "Very well," Horned Toad says, its breath reeking of swamp water, warm and wet on the side of Laura's face, "They're name is Odin. They were a Changeling once... though now I'm not sure if such a title still applies." The statement strikes Laura as odd. She can't immediately remember ever hearing of an Odin in New Orleans, nor in the surrounding Hedge. And The Horned Toad was still being very hush hush about all of this. She had no reason to suspect the Hobgoblin of lying to her; in fact, as far as Hobs went, Toad was probably the most reliable and honest. But still, Laura could feel her skin crawl a little trying to put it all together. "It will take me several days to reach Odin and set something up," The Hobgoblin adds in a whisper, stepping back just slightly to await Laura's reply.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "They're name is Odin. They were a Changeling once... though now I'm not sure if such a title still applies."
    'That's an...interesting name.' Did this Odin gain the name from their Keeper or did they claim it themselves. 'If he's not a Changeling anymore what is he?'

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Horned Toad shrugs its bulbous shoulders and says, "Names can contain such power, and so many keep such information private." Whether this was the hobgoblin's way of saying that it didn't know, or whether it was being intentionally obtuse is hard to tell. To Laura's second question, it replies, "Something... more powerful and far less human."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well the name thing just makes me wonder if I should follow suit.' After all, every Changeling had someone they needed to hide themselves from. 'The rest of it doesnt sound particularly attractive to me.'