New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Leomund's Tiny Hut in a Snowstorm: Buried Alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    It was an avalanche, right, not just a snow storm?
    Yes, it started as a snow storm but that led to a possible snow slide/rockslide/avalanche while the hut was up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Avalanches tend to be really dense.
    Yes. I was trying to think through how to quickly account for that without doing a bunch of research during play, and this thread is something of a sanity check on how I approached this.
    If it has come to a full stop around the 10' radius dome, I would assume the snow is dense enough to support its own weight. Snow caves are totally a thing, so no, I would not have the roof collapse on them.
    Great feedback, thanks!
    That said, a 15' avalanche is really deep. In real life, we have people die after being buried in three-foot-deep avalanches. 10'
    Hence my "how do you intend to get out of this?" as being an interesting non combat, albeit life threatening, situation.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-08-10 at 10:37 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Leomund's Tiny Hut in a Snowstorm: Buried Alive?

Even though the bard didn't discuss it with the party, they would all likely see the bard get up and start taking action. It's not 'poof, gone' when you cast Dimension Door. I try to give the other party members time to react when another member is being rash.

I probably would have done the same thing and let the bard leave the tiny hut with DD since they were the one that cast it, but normally I would not allow teleportation in and out while the hut remained.

Fifteen feet of snow is heavy on it's own, even when it's the light fluffy kind, and the avalanche would have made it worse. That snow would have been quite packed, making collapse unlikely and digging out difficult without digging tools. However, they are 10th level, so I would not have made a big deal of escaping and let just about any plan work and slide the time scale up or down. I may have called for a survival check, or a survival skill challenge, and had someone take some damage on a bad roll, and only life threatening on a really bad roll.

If I were the druid, I would have wildshaped into a giant badger and made a tunnel out.