New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Alkazaar’s Appendix [IC]

Qaza

Qaza feels for the Bedine. While magic has been very useful for her, she knows that others do not always use it for good. Someone without access to magic themselves might have had more bad experiences than good ones.

She watches as the golem animates. It seems to be using some sort of sign language but she can't figure it out on her own.

“Give me a few minutes!”

She pulls out her spell book and starts chanting a ritual, complete with incense and candles, wafting the incense into her eyes. Once she is done, she looks at the golem again to see if she can understand what it is trying to say, hopefully learning enough of the signs so she doesn't have to keep casting her spell.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    casts comprehend languages as a ritual
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-08-16 at 08:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Taken a bit aback by the older Bedin's apparent request for four additional platinum, Lekt is completely oblivious as to the meaning and intent behind the golem's gestures and turns his attention back in the old man's direction, as Qaza breaks out her spellbook for some reason. "Six plat? Are you serious?! At a gold per week and person, that's... umm that's... uh... that's a ten week advance."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

As Qaza begins casting the ritual, Dharrus begins mimicking some of the golem's gestures. "Ah think ah'm gettin'a hang of it. Let me know if there's anything ye wanta say."

Show
    The dwarf gestures something indicating "we're friends, we're here to help. We're looking for the Sapphire Sentinel. Are you him? Do you know where the Nether Scroll is?" or whatever the closest equivalent is.
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2022-08-16 at 10:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn
    AC: 15 (18 w/mage armor) | HP: 92/92 | HIT DICE: 15d6+30
    Speed:
    40ft (fly 40ft) | Initiative: +3
    Passive Perception:
    10 | Passive Insight: 10
    Conditions: ---

Curious about the golem's gesticulating, Almadek fetches a pinch of soot and a pinch of salt from his spell component pouch. He rubs them between his fingers as he vocalizes softly, calling upon the eldritch energies hidden in his draconic blood. He tries to remain subtle while casting his Comprehend Languages, not wanting to steal Qaza's thunder while she works on her ritual - although he can now understand the golem, he waits until the smaller mage translates and will act surprised and impressed when she does so.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-08-16 at 01:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

As the main spellcasters facilitate communication with the golem, Theo looks around and climbs to a regional high point, checking the area around them out. He asks whichever Bedin seems less enraptured by the golem: "What should we be watching out for around here? The documents we found mentioned something about purple worms."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CardTrick View Post
    Taken a bit aback by the older Bedin's apparent request for four additional platinum, Lekt is completely oblivious as to the meaning and intent behind the golem's gestures and turns his attention back in the old man's direction, as Qaza breaks out her spellbook for some reason. "Six plat? Are you serious?! At a gold per week and person, that's... umm that's... uh... that's a ten week advance."
    "What? No I was talking about gold. I can't take those large coins. Though since we don't know how long we'll need to find what you are looking for, ten weeks don't seem unrealistic."

Meanwhile the two mages had found a way to communicate with the golem.
    Three things quickly became established:

The golem was the key to open the sealed vault with the Netherese roll inside and that the golem instinctively knew the direction back to the place. But also that the golem had lost much of his memory and wasn't able to say how it got here.

When asked about the dangers, the boy replied:

"Oh yes, in Haruun, there are these caves with the beautiful wall reliefs. But a bunch of purple worms have infested the place, so it's very dangerous to venture into them."

The old man chimed in: "It's too hot to travel right now. We'll take shelter in the old bit of wall and wait out the heat. Once the sun goes down, we can begin our travels."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

Qaza finishes her spell and finally understands what the golem is trying to say. It appears that Dharrus and Almadek figured it out already though. If they don't explain it first, Qaza tells the others what the golem is trying to say. She then spends some time talking to it so she can learn the hand gestures for future conversations. Once the Bedine talk about camping for the day, she gets to work on another ritual.

“OK, Gather around me! Give me a few minutes, again.”

She continues to flip through her spell book again chanting a new ritual, relighting her incense and candles, wafting the incense around her. Once she is done, a shimmering dome appears around the party, with the golem just outside the dome.

"Wa la! Bubble camp!"

She gets just as excited as she usually does when this appears. The rest of the party has seen this enough that they aren't all that impressed, but they have enjoyed the safety of her bubble camp in the past. The inside of the bubble is cool and comfortable.

Show
    casts leomunds tiny hut as a ritual. Since the golem is large, it doesn't fit inside the spell.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-08-16 at 04:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:

Almadek lets out a sigh as he sits directly on the sand in the bubble. ''That was simple enough.'' He says. ''Now that we know the golem can guide us directly to where we need to go, it appears your services shan't be necessary Shamir, Pesh. It's probably for the best - not to sound impolite, but you would evidently have become liabilities sooner or later.'' This was spoken without any haughtiness or contempt, but rather a genuine concern for the well-being of these non-magics - danger was sure to find Almadek and his group sooner or later. ''You are welcome to keep the payment that was given to you in advance... unless my friend here thinks it necessary to reclaim his coin?''

Almadek then retrieves a small replica of a chest from under his robes and utters a single word in draconic: annish. An exquisite chest crafted from ivory, darkwood and mithral appears before the dragonborn. He opens it and rummages through it for a second before pulling out a kettle, a pouch, a waterskin and all the necessary items to start a little fire and boil some tea. With his Mage Hand, he digs a small pit in the sand, sets up the kindling and lights a little fire, just enough to get the kettle boiling: ''Tea, anyone?'' He asks. While handing cups around to those who ask for some drink, he says, to no one in particular: ''How long do you reckon we'll need to wait? I'm excited to get going.''
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-08-16 at 11:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Having only just handed over the payment in gold coins that the elder Bedin had specified, Lekt immediately shakes his head at Almadek trying ot dismiss them, "Yeah, uh... belay that. I'm still paying and I'm definitely still hiring. Those caves you mentioned sound like what we're looking for, purple worm territory, and I'd rather take a route that you two know rather than blindly following a golem straight into the desert."

Putting on the closest thing he has to a polite smile towards his comrade, whom he imagines is just putting the two Bedin's safety before the group's mission, he starts preparing some snacks from this mornings' leftovers while citing the tale from the book, "Remember, Alkazaar called off his expedition even though he still had the golem with him. Likely because the thing is ancient. Even if it knows the destination, that doesn't mean it knows the path."

Pulling an apple from amongst the leftovers, Lekt offers it in the direction of the younger Bedin, while redirecting Almadek's query towards the older man, "Yeah. How long do we need to sit tight?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

"The sun will set in about eight hours. Hm, this shelter is quite nice.

Your care for our wellbeing honors you, but I've been crossing this dessert since I've been half of Pesh's age. Do not confuse your personal power for experience. This place can be very unforgiving - unless of course you are looking for trouble. Than I guess you could just walk in a straight line to Haruun."

As everyone settled in to wait for sundown, the old man began to share tales of the desert. Especially of interest is that one of his ancestors - his great aunt twice removed was the one to guide Alkazaar on his last expedition. The family believed the explorer lost after a wild djinni created a deadly sand storm, separating everyone. Acording to her there was a cavern inside Haruun, called the Hall of Rainbows, that holds colorful paintings, some of which depict a golem.

Spoiler
    Show

a valid question: Would you prefer a quick route that likely has a few random encounters, or would you prefer the cautious one, that Shamir suggests where encounters are minimized but you'll spend more time in the dessert

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Theo
    "I've been on a number of hunts for dangerous creatures, and have read accounts of many others." Theo steeples his fingers in front of his mustache. "The chaps who got all uppity with their magic weapons and armor and ignored their local guides were the very ones who seemed to have the most trouble either getting lost, or getting hunted by whatever man-eater they were after. What is the saying, fools rush in...?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

Qaza gives the older Bedine a handful of gold coins. She then makes her bed ready and prepares to rest. As she prepares her sleeping area, she continues the conversation with the Bedine.

“I agree that we will be better off with guards. We greatly appreciate your help, Shamir and Pesh. Please, could you tell us about your people and what it is like living here in this vast desert? I would love to hear your story while we wait for the heat to pass.”

She motions to the walls of the hut,

"I need to stay inside the bubble or it disappears and I'll have make it again. But the rest of you are free to come and go if you want."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aye, ah agree with the rest'o the lads. S'better if we all stick tagether. I, too, would like ta hear about these lands, 'specially about these caves with the worms and the paitings." Dharrus uncorks a large bottle of ale and takes a deep swig after he makes his request to the Bedine. He wipes his mouth and beard with the sleeve of his robe before offering a pull to the group. "It's jest bitterroot beer, nothin' fancy, but it'll keep yer whistle wet in this godsforsaken heat."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Shamir continued to tell stories, but refused the alcohol. Pesh on the other hand did the reverse, listening and partaking. Albeit, only one gulp, before the bitterness of the drink made him cough and sputter.

As time wore on and the sun went down, he excused himself to take an extended nap. Once the sun had sunken beneath the horizon, Pesh took care of the camel and Shamir called to pack up camp.

"There are a lot of old ways through the dessert - but few of them are safe or even visible. Keep always in view of each other - even if you have to do the necessary. With the golem, we won't be very stealthy, but still, try to make as little noise as possible. Sound carries far around here - as does light. The stars and the moon will provide just enough light to navigate by. Alright, everyone drink enough whenever you are thirsty. Our next stop will be a small oasis to the north west."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Travel after sundown, resting after sunrise became a well established routine for the next three days. The Tiny Hut spell helped that endeavor a lot and even Shamir had to admit that magic sometime was quite useful - but still insisted that overreliance could only spell disaster in the long run.

On the fourth day the first destination in form of an Oasis became visible on the horizon just as the sky began to lighten. Another hours travel brought the small spot of lush green into immediate focus. But before anyone had the chance to enjoy shade and water there, a form rose from the sand:

A three meter tall sandstone sculpture made to look like an androsphinx
    Spoiler: Andropshinx
    Show

The regal figure gave no sound but inside the group's heads a voice boomed:

"Forked like a serpent’s tongue,
    I spark the thunder’s peal;
    With every stroke, the storm is wrung
    Of darkness by my zeal.
    What am I?"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-08-18 at 01:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:

''Charming'', said Almadek with a smirk, ''But you'll have to do better than that. Why, you're lightning, of course'' he simply replies.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-08-18 at 02:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

Qaza sets up her bubble camp every morning, each time showing it off enthusiastically as if she had never made one before. Each evening, before they move on, she eats a little of Let's food. It's so good she'd eat more, but she's a tiny thing.

“Thanks, Lekt. Delicious as always!”

She spends her nights on her broom, flying around the party but keeping them in sight as instructed. When the party approaches the oasis and the sand sphinx rises and asks a riddle, she looks around at the others briefly, thinking the riddle might be too simple. She tries to hold back and wait for the others, but she bursts out an answer just as Almadek answers.

"Lightning! It's definitely lightning! Now let us through and show us all of your secrets, kitty."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-08-18 at 02:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NiKkatsu View Post
    ''Charming'', said Almadek with a smirk, ''But you'll have to do better than that. Why, you're lightning, of course'' he simply replies.
    A small bolt of lightning flashed from the statue, hitting Almadek square in the chest. To everyone's surprise this did neither appear to kill or hurt him, but left a barely visible pattern of silvery lines across his entire body.

As suddenly as it had appeared, the statue sank back into the sand, vanishing without a trace.

Spoiler
    Show

Almadek enjoys Lightning Resistance for the next 10 days

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-08-18 at 03:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Having already fallen into a combat stance when the chimeric statue appeared, Lekt barely pays much mind to the voice suddenly in his head and is already moving forward when the structure harmlessly lightning bolts Almadek before disappearing back down into the sand.

Lekt then stands confused for a moment, finally mulling over that the words projected in his mind must have been some kind of riddle, "Huh, so guess the answer was lightning then? Good job. I would have said coconut."
    Last edited by CardTrick; 2022-08-18 at 03:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

The oasis proved to be a veritable garden eden in the dessert: The undiminished flowing spring from a rock indicated that the water flow had a magical cause.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 15
    Show

The rock from which the water flows looks like hit has been formed with Shape Stone and the flow rate indicates that there is a decanter of endless water inside
    Breaking the stone would be AC 18 and 200 hp worth of damage

Palm trees, gras, tiny birds bushes with appealing looking berries as well as sweet smelling flowers abounded around the small pond.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Theo
    "I bet animals come from miles around to visit this place." Theo wanders off a short distance, inspecting the edge of the water for search of animal tracks. "Prey and predators alike, mind you. Keep an eye out!"

Spoiler
    Show

Survival (1d20+7)[27]
    He will oppose destroying the oasis for a medium magical item.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Surprisingly enough, no larger predators seem to be drawn to the oasis - likely a result of the funny stone sphinx having taken this as their territory.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Lekt is busy washing up a bit, and quite honestly just using the spring water to cool down, when he notes that the water's flow is far too steady and perfect and that the stone it bubbles up from is likewise lacking in the telltale signs of either a mason's touch or natural formative processes. Thinking for a moment, he recalled that it wasn't unheard of for communities to implant magical items into specific locations for public use purposes: cleansing stones, heating cubes, speaking stones and, in this case, probably one of them fancy endless water making gourds, "Shamy, uh... I don't know how often you frequent this here oasis, but umm... given your worry about overreliance leading to disaster, you should probably know this here spring ain't natural. Someone put a water conjuring magic bauble here, and by the looks of it, they didn't even use their hands to hew the stone around it either. All magic."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Shamir nodded: "And in the long run this will be its undoing. A natural oasis does not have to fear that someone will greedily remove it's source of water. That's why I never rely on the oasis still existing when I come here. Yet for the moment lets enjoy the magic's bounty."

When the sun went down once again, Pesh and Shamir reluctantly called to move again. All water skins were filled to the brim and the camel also had pumped itself full that it seemed to wobble a bit when it moved - wobble more that is, than usual.

"We are curving back north east now, past some ancient battlefields. Do not get distracted by the sounds of battle or men screaming. It's only phantoms not realizing that they are long dead."

Again the party wandered four nights through seemingly endless dessert with the golem following obediently.

In the fifth night there were indeed screams to be heard in the distance...

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show

You are certain that those are real screams - and they are screaming about an ogre attack. Distance about 400 feet behind a dune.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Dharrus was pleased that his comrades had successfully solved the sphinx's riddle without apparent consequence, and that they had left the magic of the oasis intact to serve the desert. Shamir's sense of tradition seemed unduly suspicious of progress, but he appreciated the inherent good intentions behind his impulses, and forgave the desert nomad's mistrust.

Despite the old man's warning, Dharrus seemed taken aback by the noises. "Beggin' yer pardon, lad, but I think those screams're quite real. Somethin' about an ogre attack." The dwarf points in the direction of the dune they seemed to emanate from. "Reckon someone oughta reconnoiter, mayhaps? Or send a scout or familiar or somethin' ta confirm. If it's jest phantoms, we can ignore them, but if'n we can help some folks, or keep ogres from attackin' passerby, that'd be the proper thing t'do."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

While she wanted to break into the stone and get out the magical water supply, when she heard the Bedine call that greedy, she decided to leave it for other travelers. She continues her conversation with the guides, asking them as much as she can about the desert and their people. She tells them about her time in the forest as a child and the adventures she's had since meeting the others.

When she hears the screams, she initially trusts Pesh and Shamir. But when she hears Dharrus' explanation, she thinks we should go investigate.

“Let's go see at least. Let's stay together and send an owl just a little in front of us.”

With that, a small pygmie owl appears out of nowhere.

Show
    If we are going to investigate the scereams, she'll send the owl 100' in front of us.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Lekt hears the screams describing an ogre attack of some kind but doesn't immediately say anything. However, as Dharrus apparently hears the same and along with Qaza seems intent on springing into action, he lets out deep sigh, "I don't know, Shamy just warned us about not wandering off because of screams... and even there are ogres attacking someone, that doesn't really seem like any of our business. For all we, know, the giant-folk could just be hunting down criminals or something."

Nonetheless, as Qaza summons the pygmy owl, Lekt is already getting to his feet and drawing his sword to follow after the gnome and dwarf, who, once again, seem to be placing the well-being of complete strangers before both the mission and their own best interests. "Uggh... fine. "

Show
    If there actually are Ogres abound, Lekt understands any Giant spoken.
    Last edited by CardTrick; 2022-08-20 at 12:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

As the owl crested the dune it saw three tall figures surrounding six smaller, prone ones. By garb and posture, it was easy to make out that three ogres had surprised a small group of bedines. Now that they had subdued their prey, they were busy binding them with ropes.

In giant, one of them addressed another: "Told you, works every time - just call for help and see how it draws in the fools."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth check DC 15 for everyone trying to close in unnoticed

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

Qaza explains to everyone what the she saw and heard through her owl. She doesn't think 4 ogres will be that hard for this group to subdue, but sometimes things aren't what they appear to be, so she approaches with some caution.

“Let's help the Bedine. Come with me. I'll hypnotize the ogres so we can get close undetected.”

She flies forward on her broom, just above the ground, but high enough so she doesn't make any noise on the sand. She is just trying to get in range of a spell so only needs to get within 120' and have sight of the ogres. Once at that range, and the others are with her, she stops and starts to cast her spell.

Show
    Stealth (1d20+2)[7]
    Waiting for surprise and initiative determination.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Theo

Theo sneaks along carefully, peeking over the top of the dune. If possible, he'll enchant the ground "in front" of the ogres (in the direction of the party) to stab their feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (1d20+12)[31], (1d20+12)[17]

When permitted, Spike Growth.
    The ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point within range twists and sprouts hard spikes and thorns. The area becomes difficult terrain for the duration. When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels.

The transformation of the ground is camouflaged to look natural. Any creature that can't see the area at the time the spell is cast must make a Wisdom (Perception) check against your spell save DC to recognize the terrain as hazardous before entering it.