New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Alkazaar’s Appendix [IC]

The Div nodded: "We are large, we need to eat. About one carcass every week for each of us, or so."
    There was no apology or malice in his voice, just resignation

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn
    AC: 15 (18 w/mage armor) | HP: 92/92 | HIT DICE: 15d6+30
    Speed: 40ft (fly 40ft) | Initiative: +3
    Passive Perception: 10 | Passive Insight: 10
    Conditions: ---

Almadek nods: ''Sounds fair to me - everyone needs to eat. The Bedine just ended up on the wrong side of the food chain.'' A sigh, then: ''By no means is it my intention to be pushy, but don't we have more important things to do than mingle in the politics of the locals? We've dilly-dallied here long enough. Plus, if we provoke these beasts any further, then they will simply take it out on the Bedine tenfold. There is no point in playing the heroes, it only ever makes things worse... Bigger beasts eat smaller ones - smallers one fight back. It is simply in the nature of things. But finding a Netharese scroll in a legendary dungeon guided by a unique, magical golem... now that's something! I suggest we move along. Let the Bedine mete out their justice by themselves, or kill it if you must. In any case, I trust it isn't the first time the Div and the Bedine have been in conflict and it won't be the last.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-08-28 at 01:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Lekt rolls his eyes, "Oh, yeah, it is an everyday struggle for survival for the flying, magical, ice spitting giants. Not their fault, they just got no other options.", and looks over to the Bedine, "So, anyway, since we're here until sundown regardless, do you guys want us to put him down before we go, or do you want to do your own thing?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It looks like we've got a majority of players saying either kill him or let the Bedine handle it (presumably also kill him).

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

"If you don't do it, we will. But we'd prefer if you could end the creature swiftly and mercifully. But maybe you want to find out where their lair was. With 30 dead travellers, there might be quite a bit treasure."

The Bedine leader replied.

5. - Top - End - #95

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by CardTrick View Post
    Lekt rolls his eyes, "Oh, yeah, it is an everyday struggle for survival for the flying, magical, ice spitting giants. Not their fault, they just got no other options.", and looks over to the Bedine, "So, anyway, since we're here until sundown regardless, do you guys want us to put him down before we go, or do you want to do your own thing?"
    Almadek Udomorn

Almadek smiles gently: ''No more than it is a struggle for the owl to hunt a mouse, which the mouse could describe as a swooping feathered giant with killer talons, not completely unlike your own description of the giants just now. Yet, however one-sided and unfair things might be for the mouse, the owl will still die if it doesn't eat it, that fact remains.'' He shrugs: ''Kill it if it pleases you. I won't interfere.'' Although he preferred the thrill of exploration, Almadek was not overly bothered by his companions' heroic streaks - it even amused him. More than once had he joined in on their valiances, after all, and he wouldn't protest if they decided to track down the lair of the Oni, either.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-08-29 at 03:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Shaking his head at Almadek's continued people-are-just-animals rationalizations, which given his own unfortunate condition, he can't help but take a little personally, Lekt nonetheless draws his sword at the Bedine leader's decision, "Honestly, if we're going to make any side trips, I'd be more interested in checking out what the situation is with that dragon turtle thing. Dragons can get REAL old, so it might have some firsthand info on Nether stuff, and dragons hoard too, so there could be profit to boot. Plus, we already know where it is and it's on the way. But I'm always up for being extra greedy too. Can't hurt to ask.", and approaches the captive Div, speaking to him in the giant's tongue, "So, is that old man right? You got a little stash of treasure in a lair out there? Or literally any reason to not to just kill you now? I didn't even want to get involved here and you and your brothers failed to even give me a case of sniffles earlier, so I got no personal investment in killing you... but these folks want you dead and they've been helpful to us and happen to know stuff about what we're looking for... so... again... any reason, any at all?"
    Last edited by CardTrick; 2022-08-29 at 10:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

The brute sighed: "10 miles to the south you find a spire. At its base a six sided block can be rolled aside. That's where my brothers and I have made our home. By all means go there and enjoy the things we found."

It doesn't take a genius to realize that there is likely more than one trap to be found there.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

Qaza waits until the Div has revealed all its secrets and then watches while Left kills it quickly. She stands by in case the Div has any more tricks. Once the deed is finished, if we are staying here for the day, she sets up her bubble camp for the party and as many of the Bedine that fit if they want. In the bubble, (or on the way if we are not staying) she asks the others.

"Should we take a detour and explore the Div's camp or continue on our quest? I wonder what the golem has to say?"

Show
    She's will cast tiny hut if we are camping here. If we are moving on, then she'll wait of course.
    If she needs to, she'll cast comprehend languages to talk to the golem.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The golem pondered a moment and then signed:
    'Are you not equiped to find the tomb? Will you gain more than you lose by this detour?'

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"Och, though surely there're treasures to be had tha' these ogre bastards have left in their trap-riddled cave, it's most likely just camel barding and waterskins they stole from the Bedine. Perhaps there's trade goods and the like, and it might not be terrible ta returnt them to their rightful owners, and maybe they've got more goggles and such, but I dunno if it's worth it, given our reasons for being here. Though it'd be a fitting end for this bastard, Dharrus gestured towards the Div, "to lead us to hidey-hole an' make him set off all the traps ahead of us."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

The party and the rescued Bedine spent a quiet day in the shelter, whiling the day away while the dead desicated in the heat. When the sun went down, the Bedine group said their farewells and went on in the direction the party had come from.

Shamir was eager to leave the old battlefields behind and so the party went on. Beside another small well where everyone was able to refill their waterskins, nothing noteworthy happened. Several days went by without any more problems, until the obelisk appeared on the horizon that the old Bedine had described.

You crest a dune and see a rocky escarpment in the distance with small cave entrances all over its surface. Dozens of tiny humanoid creatures dash back into the caves, sensing your presence.

Spoiler: Nature DC 20
    Show

The creatures are desert-dwelling chwingas, usually benevolent elemental spirits.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Theo
    Spoiler
    Show

I have a +0, I won't make it. Hit the search engine and type roll 1d20. Get a 20. Yeesh.

"Chwingas. They're not quite people or beasts, more like an elemental. Mind you, elemental creatures can still be smart and dangerous - ask me later about the time I crossed blades with a Salamander blademaster - but they probably won't be a problem. Since they're hiding, no need to scare them by chasing them unless we need something.

Or unless they're hiding because they think something might hunt us. When there are no birds or bugs in the jungle, you know you're in trouble. What's the desert version of that?"
    Theo turns to Shamir and asks.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Shamir shrugged: "Lot's of things, sand snakes, skorpions, rocs - though I think they ran because they saw us.

But just to be sure, Pesh and I will stay here. I'm confident that you all are powerful enough to deal with whatever there is."

14. - Top - End - #104

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn

''It never hurts to be prepared for the worse'' Almadek says, drawing his staff. He traces a circle pattern in the air with it and his scales suddenly take on an iron sheen.
    Spoiler: Mage Armor
    Show
    Almadek uses a charge from his staff to cast Mage Armor on himself
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-09-01 at 11:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

On the journey, Qaza updates her sympathy stone and contingency spell. Every morning she casts water breathing on the party, just in case. Every night, she makes her bubble camp. Once they get close to the obelisk, she pulls out her spell book and makes sure everyone is connected with a telepathic bond, including the Bedine and her simulacrum, who she keeps safely in a magic jar gem around her neck. She then tests out the link.

"Check. One. Two. Check. Can everybody hear me? Alright, should we go explore this obelisk?"

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-09-01 at 04:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

As you get closer to the escarpment the earth begins to rumble and the dragon tortoise raises its massive head out of the sand.

It beginns to speak in a language Dharrus and Lekt recognize as draconic:
    "Who are you, what are your intentions?"

As the giant creature moves, you can see chains of blue glowing energy binding it's hind legs and stretching into the ground. Hobbled like this, the Dragon Tortoise can't move more than 30ft from it's position.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 20
    Show

A DC 19 Dispel Magic check could break the chains

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Oddly obvious to the magic ensorcelling its chains, Lekt responds quite candidly to the massive ensnared creature in its own tongue, "Well, we were on our way to a cave, possibly with some old ruins and carvings in it with this here golem... looking to find a really old scroll... like Netherese OLD, and umm... some locals we helped out a few days back mentioned having seen and heard you here in some kind of distress when they passed by, so we figured we check things out... maybe see if you know anything?", before turning to Dharrus to see if they had anything to add.

Show

Arcana check 19, so Lekt doesn't know what to do about the chains, not that he has Dispel Magic anyway. Also, I'm assuming that Lekt knows Dharrus also speaks Draconic.
    Last edited by CardTrick; 2022-09-01 at 08:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

It might take her a few tries and use quite a bit of her magic for that day, but Qaza is certain that if she kept at it, she could remove the chains that bind the dragon turtle. But the question now is 'should she?'.

She lets the others explain why we are here. Instead, she is more interested in this dragon turtle and its well being. She wonders if this creature will be a friend or foe.

"What are these chains of blue glowing energy binding you here? Why are you stuck like this? Who did this to you? Do you need some water or food?"

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The turtle frowned before answering: "I was captured a long time ago by a Netherese wizard to be his slave.
    When their empire fell he was killed and I was abandoned. The chwingas found me and took pity on me. They feed and water me as well as they can. There is nothing I can tell you about any place beyond a 100ft that isn't 100 of years out of date."

20. - Top - End - #110

Flumph

Almadek Udomorn

''How unfortunate'', Almadek answers. ''From what I can see, we appear to share a certain kinship, for you are also a creation of the Platinum Dragon, yes?'' He scratches his chin, thinking: ''Your bonds look weak enough... surely one of my companions could un-magick them?'' He turns to the others as he says so. ''I believe a simple dispelling abjuration could do the trick, if any of you would feel so inclined.''
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2022-09-04 at 10:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

At this request, the golem stepped forward and the gemstone in his chest began to glow. A bright flash emanated from it and suddenly the chains of force began to unravel. Only a few seconds later all traces of them were gone. The Dragon Tortoise looked stunned for a very long moment, then wiggled it's hind legs and a large smile came over it's face:

"Thank you. Very much. I can't believe, after all this time. I'm free. I won't forget this kindness."

It's head retracted and with a rumble that was more like an earthquake it began to burrow, throwing large chunks of sand stone away before vanishing completely from sight.

While the party still looked on, Almadek felt a slight tug on his sleeve. Looking down he realized one of the Chwinga had appeared next to him. A curious warmth spread out from the touch and when Almadek looked down, the Chwinga had vanished again.

The same happened to the rest of the party in quick succession. Then, the Chwingas were gone, nothing indicating that they had ever been there.

Spoiler
    Show

Theo (1d10)[5] Charm of the Slayer: One sword in your possession becomes a dragon slayer or giant slayer (DM's choice) for the next 9 days. The charm then vanishes from you and the weapon returns to normal.

Qaza (1d10)[3] Charm of Vitality: This charm allows you to give yourself the benefit of a potion of vitality as an action. Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Dharrus (1d10)[7] Charm of Heroism: This charm allows you to give yourself the benefit of a potion of heroism as an action. Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Almadek (1d10)[6] Charm of Animal Conjuring: This charm allows you to cast the conjure animals spell (3rd-level version) as an action. Once used three times, the charm vanishes from you.

Schlecter (1d10)[7] Charm of Heroism: This charm allows you to give yourself the benefit of a potion of heroism as an action. Once you do so, the charm vanishes from you.

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-09-04 at 11:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Lekt, a bit disappointed the giant turtle creature didn't seem to have any information for them is taken by surprise by the golem's sudden disjunction of the enchanted chains, leaning in Qaza direction to quietly inquire, "Did... did we know it could do that?"

However, he is even more surprised by the dragon tortoises' equally abrupt departure. Ever the would-be jobber-of-the-month, acting on his first instinct, Lekt calls out to the rapidly burrowing creature, "Candlekeep! If you don't see any of us again personally, remember it was Candlekeep that freed you!"

After the turtle has departed and the Chwingas do their odd business, Lekt simply looks over his companions, "So, that was... that was something."
    Last edited by CardTrick; 2022-09-04 at 12:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, tha was... som'thin." Dharrus looked stunned for a moment before eyeing the golem over. He began to gesture toward it, as he had done before, speaking as he did so, in case the construct understood him verbally. "That was truly impressive. What else is it that ye can do?"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

The golem replied with his signs: 'This is my function. I open the vault that has been sealed by magic. I am the key. There is no other purpose for me but this.'

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Theo

Theo looks on in awe as the gigantic creature disappears beneath the sand, working hard to remember every detail of yet another grand sight, another tale to tell.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

When everything appeared to be over, Shamir dared to approach:
    "It seems you did some good here. Shall we resume our travels? There's a good bit of night left to make some progress and I want to avoid the range of the false travelers."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

While Qaza debates whiter or not to question the dragon turtle first Orr just free it, the golem steps forward and makes the decision for us. The dragon fortunately is grateful and does not immediately attack us, but unfortunately it leaves before Qaza gets a chance to question it further. She responds to Lekt.

"I didn't know it could do that. That's truly impressive."

She is grateful for the blessing from the Chwingas, but would have liked to get to know them too. When it had all settled, she realized there was nothing more to do here and that we should continue. But she will always long to return to this magical place.

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

As the group went on its way, very gradually the landscape changed. Less sand and more rock. Occassionally there would be a hardy little shrub or some sparse halms of grey brown grass.

At the third rest Shamir declared: "It's not far now. We should reach Haruun at dawn tomorrow."
    And indeed, the farther the group moved, the more signs of the vanished Netherese empire became visible - parts of old walls, remnants of statues, ancient carvings, barely visible on eroded rock and even the odd piece of paved road.

As the sun's first tender rays illuminated the sky, a massive hill became visible as an outline in the darkness.

"We are close now. Remember, there are Purple Worms around and they react to loud noises. So try to keep it down as much as possible, or be prepared to go to battle."

Only half an hour later, you reach the base of the hill. The landscape around you bears the scars of a purple worm’s habitation, a complex of caves that collapsed as the worm created its rubblefilled tunnels. You see a crack in the face of the hill that looks like an entrance to an undamaged cave. Around it, a few fifteen-foot-diameter, rubblefilled holes provide clear evidence of a purple worm’s passage. Vultures circle overhead, as if anticipating scraps.

Shamir indicated at a raised part of rocks: "Pesh and I will wait over there. There is a well and the ground is to hard to tunnel through. Good luck with your endeavor."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Theo

Theo quietly bids them a safe wait. Taking out some soft fabric and lengths of cord, he ties down anything on his gear that might make noise, and bids the others do the same.
    Casting: Pass Without Trace, duration 1 hr. Everyone has +10 on your Stealth checks when within 30' of Theo. Duration is Concentration, so it'll go down if battle starts

That done, he peers at the crack, and moves closer to examine it, careful to walk only on stable areas of ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Looking for routes in and down, signs of prior tracks, traps, etc.
    Stealth (1d20+22)[28]
    Perception (1d20+7)[22]
    Survival (1d20+7)[9]
    Investigation (1d20)[19]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Qaza

After saying goodbye to the Bedine, Qaza waits for the ranger to take the lead in scouting out the area. Flying on her broom, she shouldn't make much noise, but she's grateful for the extra magical help. She refreshes the party's telepathic bond and then flies above Theo, looking for clues or traps in the purple worm holes.

"Lead the way Theo."

Show
    Recasts Rary's telepathic bond.
    Stealth: (1d20+12)[26]
    Investigation: (1d20+10)[29]