3 Art (3 spent)
    9 Inv (9 spent)

Treasure-

1 temp mil
    25 temp econ (25 bid)
    5 temp artifice (5 spent)
    4 temp inv (spent)

Actions-

5 inv, 4 temp Inv, 3 art, 5 temp art spent on delving (12 total pts after 2 art reduction for appeasing the Hedge-Keeper)

There is a crisis coming, and everything that would normally be invested slowly must be spent to seek more immediate power!

4 Inv gifted to Legio Cerebri with Crossroads Bargain.
    The Shaitan must pay!

The Baron (level 3) goes on the Leviathan hunt! Antoine duLac is excited to join other nobles and heroes on this great quest!

The Hedge-Keeper is asked to hold back the Shaitan if they go Delving this round.

The Hedge-Keeper is asked to report on all portals built this round.

Our new ally is already providing valuable assistance and intelligence!

Bids-

15 on the City of Daffodils
    17 on the Yearning Stone

Money is for spending!
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Total War - Mandate of Heaven

Carnival of Chains
    Morale: 12

Artistic, Criminal, Egalitarian

Midturn
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Pay 1 t. Eco and 1 t. Mor for Pact with Ruairidh.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Midturn 4

The expedition has left the city for over a week now, and no word has returned. The lighthouse pyromancers and the weather sages of the university predict that the sea is extraordinarily calm, further out, and the expedition may take a while yet to return.

Hemminghock Family Company [8]
    Spoiler
    Show

Auction:
    A narrow, lacquered box is found one morning on Cecelia's desk, with a note attached: "Sometimes the minimum is enough. ~A.N.". Inside, carefully cushioned, are two old-fashioned writing quills, each a striking amber colour.

Won the auction for the paired quills for 2 t.eco

Delving
    The size of the expedition quickly proves unwieldy and they split up when they find what are very clearly two paths, one leading up the size of a bare hill, the other leading downwards into a dark forest.

As they climb the hill, what at first started as a dirt path becomes first strewn with gravel, then cobbled, then slowly changes into an impossibly wide stair of black marble, which stretches up, to a distant light above. Treasures are strewn over the staircase, seemingly discarded without care. The expedition climbs for what seem like weeks, without pause or rest, until finally, they see the throne, far above, under a golden sun disk. A white bull reclines there, on a platform, its hide so blindingly bright that he outshines the sun above him.
    “This is a profane age”, it rumbles. “Civilization has fallen. Mortals have no respect. The rituals are not maintained. Ever since the Khan set one God above another, all has been chaos and bloodshed.
    And you, you are the most profane of all, with your mass-manufacture of soulless artefacts, your beastmen, your love for weapons. But gods must change with the time, and you are the strongest among them. Effectiveness must never be condemned. You will bring the law, and strength, and just rule, in my name, and all will hear my name, and yours, and weep in awe.”

Found Usherabi, the royal bull, gain 3 t.inv, 6 t.art, 2 t.eco.
    Spoiler
    Show

Offering: Usherabi requires you to keep a sacred bull, to worship. The bull requires not only the highest respect, but also a fine temple and an honour guard, to keep it safe at all times. This costs 2 t.eco and 1 t.mil per turn.

Blessing: lesser mortals will not dare to even touch what belongs to a faction worshipping Usherabi, as anything connected to them exudes an aura of exalted awe. As long as you have more VP than a faction attacking you, you add the difference on all passive defenses against their attacks.

The other expedition climbs down into a dark forest, utterly lightless between the branches. The trees move closer and closer together, until they form black walls on either side, until the expedition is moving not in a forest, but a dark corridor. Soon, there are branches, and ramps leading up or down, making progress slow and confusing. There are now whispers in the air, telling secrets to those who would listen. Progress is slow, and exhausting, and the Labyrinth seems to do everything in its power to halt progress. Expedition members turn their heads to better catch a whisper and, when they turn their heads back, are alone. Others lean against walls, exhausted, only to be sucked into the blackness, screaming and struggling. In the end, it is a small, haggard group that arrives at the center of the Labyrinth, where all the whispers converge.

Lose two permanent invocation. Found the Night's Labyrinth, Nexus of Espionage

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh [11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Sapling eagerly takes root and begins to grow, though for now, its roots are confined to where they are best-nourished. Roots spread to 31, now 2 districts covered.

Cousin Hylah is away on a fishing trip, but in her absence, an incredibly heavy crate is delivered for her. Inside is black, and rather plain-looking anvil, which, to the magically attuned, radiates an enormous amount of power. A note is attached: "I am sure whatever you do with this will be both revolutionary and disgusting, and I look very much forward to it. ~A.N."

Gained the Binder's Anvil for 3 t.eco

Clan Fuxi [7]
    Spoiler
    Show

The Heart spews out a large amount of weapons made of black glass, among them some extraordinarily sharp daggers. Gain 3 t.mil, 2 t.esp.

Healing the Shaitans is not accomplished in the same way as one would a mortal. There are no bodies to restore. Instead, the Fuxi invokers must find them new hosts, while Yusamata travels the darkest and most violent reaches of the spirit world to find their spirits and carry them back. Both Shaitans are healed.

The Ladies of Fuxi know how to trawl the spirit world by now and as they find themselves on a harsh landscape of cliffs and rock spires, they begin a systematic search. In the deep canyons, they find colossal heaps of flotsam, deposited here by ancient flash floods that must have filled these canyons to the rim. Among the broken wood are ancient coins, broken statues and even scrolls, seemingly dating to the time of the first Khan. The scrolls, waxed and sealed, are still readable, revealing ancient secrets of how Ardakand was built.

The local spirit is well hidden, until it becomes apparent that the highest of the rock spires seems unnaturally balanced, a huge rock standing on a narrow tip and even swaying in the wind, before righting itself again. The seemingly defensive rock is quickly toppled by magical assault and the shards fed to the great serpent.

Gain: 2 bonus XP for Lady Tamachi, 2 t.inv, 2 t.art, 3 t.eco, +1 esp artefact, 3 t.esp
    Gain new VIP core: Standing Stone (Military 2). Whoever holds this core is outwardly unchanged, but can change the density, hardness and balance of their body, making them either incredibly hard to move and injure, or fast and agile.

Major Threat! While investigating, the Venom Mistress gets lost from the group for just a minute, but in that time, she is suddenly attacked by a vengeful wind spirit and though she struggles, she is finally overwhelmed.
    Possession: for the next action the Venom Mistress is part of, she contributes no stats. At that point, the possession is discovered. (If she is not part of any action, there is no discovery). After that, the spirit can be exorcised for 2 inv or art, which returns the real Venom Mistress.

The Bloodsworn Shaitan 12
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both Shaitans are healed and ready for action this EOT, as Clan Fuxi summons them back to the material world.

The Heron and the Hippo [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The landscape is stark, but pristine. Knee-high Tufts of grass stretch across perfectly flat plains to an impossibly distant horizon, where barren mountains rise to snowy peaks. The sky is the palest blue and cloudless, the lake beneath a darker mirror. Far above, hawks circle the sun, in the distance, horses and cattle graze.
    This place is known. All have heard the legends, know the stories of the Mandakh Khan, who conquered the Gods in the name of the Sky, forged the Mandate of Heaven and gained Imperium over the world and how, in death, he was laid to rest at Bolormaa, the sacred lake. These are those lands, or a greater version of them.
    There is a yurt, standing by the lake, simple, white. The expedition approaches with some trepidation: the Khan, after all, was not a peaceful man. But the yurt is empty, long-deserted.

There is a chuckle. On a rock, by the lakeshore, lies a magnificent beast. A cloud leopard, white and silver, but also adorned with peacock feathers. Every child in the Empire knows him: this is Aq Bars, the totem spirit of the great Khan.
    “Oh, you needn’t have worried so.He could never have stayed in one place, not even in death. He left these lands, not three days after his death. Me, I welcomed some rest. ”
    Green eyes examine you for a long time.

“Yes, I think you will do. People go on and on about bloodlines and omens, but in the end, Tog himself earned his throne by deeds, not blood. He, of course, will forgive me for moving on, he was never sentimental. I will join you for a time, mortal.”

Found: Aq Bars, the Imperial Totem
    Gained: 1 Victory point, 6 t.art, 1 t.eco, 6 bonus XP for Minoo. Kives prevents 1 stat damage due to complication.

Aq Bars, the the Khan's Totem
    Spoiler
    Show

Legend: people first knew that the Khan was destined to rule the world when he went on a shamanistic journey at the advent of his manhood and came back with a mighty totem-beast, a white snow leopard that accomplished him until his death, when it vanished along with his body, which was never recovered. Aq Bars, the winged Leopard, is still carved into the Imperial Throne, to watch over all his descendants.

Special: you may only sign this pact if you have at least 2 VP already, and are in the top half of factions for number of VP. You immediately gain one bonus VP.

Offering: Aq Bars refuses to live in anything but extreme luxury. His living quarters must be spacious and adorned, his food extravagant, his entertainments varied. All in all, he costs 1 eco, 1 mor and 1 art.

Blessing: Aq Bars is a level 2 morale VIP at your service. Additionally, while you are bound to him, your faction gains your choice of the Imperial, Noble or Heroic values.

Gudite Warcamp [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two carefully wrapped silk packages are found in Solyom's quarters, with a note attached: "With best wishes, show these conceited imperials what conquest looks like. ~ A.N."
    Bought the Dragons of Zheng and the Shaman's Bells for 14.

The expedition descends, deeper and deeper again. First there are staircases and well shafts, but in time, they give way to tunnels of rock and loose soil that become narrower and narrower, until there is now way forward than to crawl. It is warm here, this deep in the Earth, far below the bones of the mountains, and the darkness is all-enveloping. But it is not smothering. It is comfortable, and sleep soon falls over the expedition members, one by one.
    The voice is just as warm, and deep.
    “I sent them out into the world”, it says. “One by one. My firstborn children, they became independent, and grew to cover the world, though their roots sometimes still find the way down, home. My second children, I held closer, and they slept in my embrace, while their minds wandered. They became foolish, and cruel, for they knew that nothing could hurt them. You are my third children, made to learn from the others, and finally, you have found my words and my heart, and opened a way back to me. Please, stay and never leave.”

Gain: 1 inv, 2 art, 3 eco, 2 bonus XP for Solyom. As the Earth closes around you to trap the expedition, Gulldr interferes and saves almost everyone. You still lose 1 p.inv. Found the Eldest Earth

Eldest Earth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legend: The chthonic deities are only vague presences, even in mythology. Primordial figures that shaped the world, half-remembered names whispered by old priests. None of them are truly known and they are assumed to be either dead or sleeping after their labours.

Offering: There is no direct cost to pay. But everything is slower, more deliberate, in the depths of the Earth, and this spreads to infest your faction. There is a deep longing, to sit, and rest, and not leave home, ever again. You have a -1 on all actions taken against targets in non-adjacent districts, a -2 to all actions outside the city (not including spirit world exploration, but including attacking a nexus) and if you buy more than one stat point in a turn, the costs are increased by +1 for every stat after the first.

Blessing: all your passive defenses are increased by 2, and you have an additional +1 to defend against all attacks that use portals. Additionally, you are gifted the secret of the crystal sarcophagi, as the Ghostwise used them. Whenever a VIP you control would be killed, they are instead injured.

This is what the crow tells your geomancers about the battle around the library: when the battle was going on, the Fuxi had 7 morale and 1 military. None of their VIPs took part in the battle, and they had no LTPs with relevant effects. They have the Heart of the Deep, which has the power to absorb hostile magic used against Fuxi territory. This has the effect of absorbing negating up to 5 points of either Art or Inv used in an attack on them and producing that many random temporary instead for them to use.

Legion Cerberus [14]
    Spoiler
    Show

One morning, a wooden wardrobe is found, standing in the middle of Legion's map room. No guard has seen it arrive or remembers any delivery. A note is attached: "May the empire be restored in your name. ~A.N."
    Gained the Lion Cloak for 3 t.eco.

Portals are opened to 48 and 61. The Witch Doctor have gained the ability to open portals for their trade partners.

Witch Doctors [2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Legion is opening portals to 48 and 61, the Hedge-Keeper reports.

A package arrives on Antoine du Lac's desk, just as he prepares to leave for the expedition. Inside are a small bottle, containing an exquisite golden miniature city, and a large jar. A note is attached: "In memory of a fallen friend and comerade. The greatest spirits are never forgotten. ~A.N."

Gained the Yearning Stone and the City of Daffodils from the auction.

The Yearning Stone has become:
    Knight'sBlood
    This deep, red salve, is made with the blood of the Knight's slain vessel and many bitter herbs. When used to paint the hands and faces of the Witch Doctor's warriors, they each feel within them a faint stirring of the Knight's power, as if he wasn't entirely gone. They fight with one mind, no matter how many of them there are, and blue flames burn around them.

The Knight's Blood can be used once per turn, on any military action where at least 3 mil are contributed. It adds +3 to the action's power and prevents up to 2 stat damage that would be suffered through to defences or attrition. For any LTPs, artefacts or other circumstances where that matters, the action would count as lead by a level 3 VIP, if that is beneficial. Unlike other artefacts, the Knight's Blood can not be stolen, as the Knight's power would not work with any other faction.

Delving
    An enormous canyon cuts through the spirit world here. The walls are near-vertical, but jagged and broken enough that to attempt the climb is merely hard, not impossible. From the depth, an icy wind shrieks up, sharp as swords.
    The climb takes days, every handhold a knife blade, no rest from the piercing gale. Finally, when the sky above is a tiny white sliver over the abyss, there is a bottom.
    At first, it seems the very ground here is made of pitted, black iron, until it becomes clear what the expedition is walking on. Broken chains, each link the size of a building. Then, a distant rumbling, in the distance, and sickly green light.
    “Mortals. It is my time. When the Mandate of Heaven falls, I am to be set free, to devour the Gods and end their time on the world. You know the signs, and you know how to let the gods ride you. If you break my chain, I would choose a vessel among you, and bring the end.”

Gain: 4 art, 2 inv, 2 eco, pact offer from Suroch, the Devourer

Suroch the Devourer
    Spoiler
    Show

Offering: While bound to Suroch, you may not swear new pacts with any other gods. Instead, whenever you discover a new God through exploration in the spirit world, Suroch will devour it, making it unavailable for anyone to bind. Any turn when Suroch does not devour a God, either through warfare or exploration, it will instead devour a random permanent stat point from the faction bound to it.

Blessing: Nominate a VIP to become the avatar of Suroch. That VIP gains +1 military tier, to a maximum of 5. Alternatively, create a new level 0 (+1 virtual level) VIP. Whenever an action the avatar of Suroch is part of deals stat damage to a faction, you are told the names and domains (but not exact details) of any pact the faction has and you can choose to trade 2 stat points of damage dealt to instead devour one of the gods they are bound to. The faction immediately loses all benefits of that pact, without suffering wrath. Whenever devouring a God, the avatar gains substantial bonus XP.

The Gudites muster to the Merchant's Isle and Diashir

DUE TO INCREASED TIME DEMANDS, I WOULD HAVE EOTS EARLIER THIS TIME, BY SATURDAY MORNING (EUROPEAN TIME) OR FRIDAY EVENING ( NEW WORLD TIME ZONES)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-09-27 at 03:17 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

[...]It was then, in a day before seasons but that would have felt like summer, that a young Azagar, jealous of the praise Eirn received for their music resolved to ask mother Ase what her favourite instrument was and practice only with that one from then on.

"Why, I enjoy your voices most of all" Said the giant godess as he picked him up and had him him sit somewhere on her titanic figure, fat with the bounty of the underworld which was only hers when all begun "They are the only instrument those who stay get to bring"

Azagar questioned, for the world was young and dead was a rumour known to Ase and not to him "But I always bring my Kithara, my aulos or my pipes"

"And I hope you always get to" she responded with warm smile, patting his head gently with a hand so big it pocketed him (as it would have anyone else) against the rest of her, shielding him from all discomfort for that moment.

Azagar's famous cunning was born of hardship and experience, for he is the learner and started dim so he could shine one day. This dimness served him well here and instead of its nuances all he got from the conversation was the most important lesson it carried, such that from that day he played whatever instrument he wanted regardless of Eirn or the eventual chorus of the dead [...]

-Opening pages of The Wounded's Strength, a Treatise on the Mind's Health.

Espionage defense: 10

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi of the White Snake
    Show
    A letter comes in with little fanfare, carried by the same hawk that accompanied Daghir the day negotiations started, the redaction was similarly to the point.

"Greetings snake kin,

What is your choice?

Gulldr's Warmth,
    Daghir, The Wolf."

Spoiler: HemmingHock Family Company
    Show
    Greetings Sisters,

We are making our move for the eye before whoever dethrones its occupants can make their own, Thus I remind you of our previous agreement and ask for passage.

We are also considering letting a god go and thought you may care for them, they are not precisely good for industry, but they should keep the family safe. If possible and if you wish to trade we would like another god or the location of an unoccupied Nexus for it.

Spoiler: Eldest Earth (god I'm peddline)
    Show
    Eldest earth (not yet pacted with):

Legend: The chthonic deities are only vague presences, even in mythology. Primordial figures that shaped the world, half-remembered names whispered by old priests. None of them are truly known and they are assumed to be either dead or sleeping after their labours.

Offering: There is no direct cost to pay. But everything is slower, more deliberate, in the depths of the Earth, and this spreads to infest your faction. There is a deep longing, to sit, and rest, and not leave home, ever again. You have a -1 on all actions taken against targets in non-adjacent districts, a -2 to all actions outside the city (not including spirit world exploration, but including attacking a nexus) and if you buy more than one stat point in a turn, the costs are increased by +1 for every stat after the first.

Blessing: all your passive defenses are increased by 2, and you have an additional +1 to defend against all attacks that use portals. Additionally, you are gifted the secret of the crystal sarcophagi, as the Ghostwise used them. Whenever a VIP you control would be killed, they are instead injured.

Destia's bounty,
    Solyom Leviatan.

Spoiler: The Witch Doctors
    Show
    Greetings wronged traders,

We come to inform the coming payment of our earnings, as promised (amounting to 8 eco).

To ask for a renegotiation of our agreement for The silk Street (district 10), yours by right of trade and what you would want instead of the territory.

And to ask if you intend to pact with the devourer, who we would gladly take off your hands, as Gulldr can keep the beast sated without slowly destroying us, which we fear would happen to you if the gods stop manifesting once they hear of your allegiance.

Destia's bounty,
    Daghir, The Wolf.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the immortal Flesh
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    reminder that I need your EoT to read "letting the Gudite Warcamp through my territory" since I didn't get a reply to my previous message about it

Spoiler: Heron and Hippo
    Show
    Show
    reminder that I need your EoT to read "letting the Gudite Warcamp through my territory" since I didn't get a reply to my previous message about it
    Last edited by neriractor; 2022-09-27 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: Gudites mor 5
    Show

Dear Fellow Travelers on The Road,

Thank you for the speedy and equitable conclusion of our previous business.

You are welcome to our most recent guest. I hope you can sate his hungers, and we would gladly accept payment of whatever kind is most convenient to you, though military aid is always at a premium to us.

As for the real estate in question, you are welcome to it, in exchange for a suitable votive offering to myself or my Brother, The Trickster.

The Baron, Written by his Vessel, Antoine duLac

Spoiler
    Show

OoC- I'll take any stats for payment, at basically any amount you think is fair. You have been generous so far in that regard. I prefer Mil, but I grind most if it into ViP XP because my faction ability benefits from that, so I'm not picky
    GNU Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Espionage Defense: 10

Spoiler: The Witch Doctors
    Show
    Your terms are generous and agreeable as always.

Many of our soldiers may be tied up, pending negotiations with Clan Fuxy but whoever is free will march for you.

Gulldr's might,
    Daghir, The Wolf.

Show
    Alright, I'll let you know what I'll be sending once I get a clearer read on my EoT

A long stretch of parchment arrives at the gates of most factions, at times with a herald to read it, at times for them to read and for a couple particular factions through... unconventional means, it reads like so:

Spoiler: Public
    Show
    Ardakand,

Your city has witnessed its first truly honourable conflict, it had its twists and turns, but both parties who suffered through it have now reached agreement and it is hoped, that they are lifted by the eventual results of it.

Clan Fuxi of the White Snake will serve my warband... And all warbands who rally behind a Gudite banner will serve them in turn. This will entail much for us, but for the rest of Ardakand you need only remember one thing: Harm to the Clan, is harm to our kin, and will be punished accordingly.

Gulldr's warmth,
    Daghir Aet Esharain, The Wolf, Redemptionist hierarch of Gulldr.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2022-09-29 at 01:11 PM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

7. - Top - End - #187

The sea was still as a board, as it had been for the last week, the small fleet utterly becalmed. Antoine du Lac was standing at the railing, his back to the rising sun, a white porcelain cup in dark hands.
    “Good morning, Lady Chagatai”, he said, not turning around, as next to him, a young woman in a white fur robe stepped up, yawning and rubbing her hands against the dawn chill.
    “Good morning, honored vessel. Is the Baron back with us?”
    Du Lac took a sip and replied “Not yet, he is still negotiating with the wind spirits. He tells me they are on strike, because the great serpent Fuxi ate one of them. Tea?”
    “Please”, she said, and shook her arms. What had looked like a fur collar burst apart in a cloud of hairy wings, as hundreds of moths took to the morning air.
    “Pure slander, by the way. No wind gods were eaten. They are just hoping for more sacrifices. Tell them they will get eaten if they don’t behave.” Taking a cup, she squinted into the morning light. “That is the Pride of Malki, isn’t it?”, nodding at a galley half a mile away, making good speed under oars.
    “I think it is, yes. And I believe that is Hormoz?”
    “Must be. He seems to be lifting half a ton of rusty blades over his head.”
    “That’s one of the golems. Ever Evolving, I think. They got wet yesterday.”
    “Ah, right”. A roar shook the boat under their feet.
    “And right in the mouth. That looked painful. Hm. It seems stomach acid turns them back to gold again. How many is that now?”
    A hooded figure stepped up next to them.
    “Eight”, it whispered below the mask. “Double coil, crossed in the middle, infinite. Recklessly we slaughter one after another what is endlessly replenished. Death and death and death again and they are reborn from the abyssal waters below the Earth. And as they rise unnumbered and enormous the mother of serpents in her undreaming sleep cries black tears for her unbutchered children. Until the latter fire shall heat the deep, then in roaring shall she rise and on the surface end everything.”
    “Good morning, Cousin Hylah. Tea?”
    The hooded figure nodded wordlessly and took a cup. Lady Chagatai put hers down on the railing.
    “If you would excuse me for a minute”. She turned to a younger noble Lady who was just stringing a steel bow about twice her size and bowed slightly.
    “Lady Ogeda’ai. Three degrees west off north-west, nine hundred and sixty-three yards away and…” she closed her eyes for a second “nine feet above the ground.”
    The other Lady Fuxi nodded and closed her eyes, nocked a yard-long arrow to the creaking bow and let fly. Three seconds later Lady Chagatai nodded in response, her eyes closed. “Yes, that was the eye. It landed on the island we made, too. Once Jochi wakes up, be a dear and tell him to row out and fetch it.”
    Meanwhile, the Baron had prepared another cup of tea.
    “Speaking off, does anyone know if Lady Fairway has succeeded on her project?”
    Lady Chagatai shook her head, sadly.
    “No… they still eat the sea mines, if they are covered in Cousin Hylah’s bait, but the yield is still hard to dial in.”
    “Ah, shame. Is it still just purplish goo?”
    “No, I think she mentioned fist-sized chunks. But still nothing worth taking home to the artificers.”
    “Mm. Oh, look. Hormoz is trying to strangle one of them.”
    “Impressive. Three talents of silver that he can’t do it because his arms are too short.”
    “Deal.”

Spoiler
    Show

Total adjusted stats invested in Leviathan hunt: 61
    Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh: 7
    Golden Guard: 28
    Clan Fuxi: 9
    The Heron: 12
    Gudites: 2
    Witch Doctors: 3

The Leviathans are slain with no risk.
    Bounty (t.eco) divided:
    Gardeners: 4
    Golden Guard: 15
    Clan Fuxi: 5
    Heron: 6
    Gudites: 1
    Witch Doctors: 2

Additional payouts [PM]
    Gardeners:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Leviathan’s muscle and blood are extraordinarily potent and respond to the slightest touch of cousin Hylah, forming almost anything she can imagine. You also gain 1 t.mil, 3 t.art and 1 t.inv.

Both your VIPs earn 3 bonus XP.

Golden Guard:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Leviathan’s blood is a potent alchemical ingredient, easily used as a power source or to draw powerful sigils. You gain 4 t.art, 7 t.inv, 3 t.mil. Additionally, you manage to pull an intact fang from one of the corpses, three feet long, curved and hollow like that of a viper and filled with deadly poison. It is a minor artifact that can be equipped to any VIP, adding +1 mil to any action that VIP is part of.

Each VIP also earns 3 bonus XP.

Clan FuxI:
    Spoiler
    Show

The sea serpents are distant, if twisted cousins of great Fuxi, and their blood resonates with the spirit world. Ink made from that blood can be used to paint magical sigils to open gates between the worlds very easily. Gain +2 t.inv. With utmost care, the nobles also manage to carve a leviathan’s eye from its skull without damaging it. It is deep black, without a pupil. In the spirit world, it sees through illusions and hidden treacheries. It is a minor artifact which can be equipped to any VIP to add +1 inv to any action they are part of.

Each of your VIPs also earns 3 bonus XP.

The Heron:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Minoo gave Hormoz precise instructions on how to collect and preserve the Leviathans’ blood, which can be used to paint magical sigils to open gates between the worlds very easily. Altogether, Hormoz manages to fill several silver-hooped barrels of the stick liquid. Gain +6 t.inv. As a souvenir for himself, the Hippo also takes some of the beasts colossal scales, which can be fashioned into an impervious armour. It is a minor artifact which can be equipped to any VIP to add +1 mil to any action they are part of.

As the Hippo butchers the beasts, some of the blood’s magical essence passes over him. He is now Bathed in Dragonblood, making him incredibly hard to kill. If he would be injured, he instead simply counts as half his level for the next turn. The threshold to kill him is increased by his VIP level. The effect is likely not permanent and will fade in a few months.

Gudites:
    Spoiler
    Show

Delilah gets what she came for, the valuable Leviathan blood which can be used in all manner of interesting explosives. Gain +1 t.mil. Delilah also gains 3 bonus XP.

The Witch Doctors:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Baron keeps himself back from the bloody work of the hunt and instead stays in the spirit world, observing how the souls of the dead serpents pass over and travel deep into the underworld. This insight into the workings of the Otherworld earns him +2 t.inv. The baron also earns 3 bonus XP.

Last edited by Eldan; 2022-09-29 at 03:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

MORALE 11

Spoiler: Gudites
    Show

Friend Leviathan!

Is now worry, you are welcome through Coralward to reach Eye of Heaven. Better to use as shrine for different gods than dump for harpy factory sludge, yes?

Given you have made peace with snakes, I hope is alright for us to trade with them also?

Anyways, now that my cousins have returned from Leviathan expedition, I am wondering if you are knowing if you are interested in our wares, this month.

-Cousin Arsat

Spoiler: Legion
    Show

Friend Legate!

[2 p. Eco for 6 t. Eco] is easy! Can give saplings to line bridge to Peacock Gate! Will flower with petals ever month, to sell to merchants and whatever nobles are not dead or running yet. Or grafts for wagmules, humps to fill with water like camel for longer journeys and less money on supplies. Not good for riding horses, but good for caravan merchants and wagoneers?

Otherwise, now that expedition from great ocean is back, is there any other thing you might wish to buy?

Also, put it writing, do we have permission to go through districts you guard to reach Golem-men and the palace Hippo?

-Cousin Arsat

Spoiler: Golden Guard
    Show

Friend Chemosh!

Now that you have returned from great sea with my cousins, I am wondering if you are knowing if you are interested in our wares, this month.

-Cousin Arsat

Show

Friend Hippo!

Now that you have returned from great sea with my cousins, I am wondering if you are knowing if you are interested in our wares, this month.

-Cousin Arsat

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi
    Show

Friend Snake!

Gudites no longer want to kill you, which means can ship things through them to you, if you are looking for deals?

Spoiler: Deals and Rates
    Show

So!

Offers
    1-You give: 1 permanent point of Eco, Art, Esp ; You get: a permanent stat point of your choice
    2-You give: 3 points of Eco ; You get: a permanent point of [Mil, Eco, Esp, Art]
    3-You give: 4 points of Eco ; You get: a permanent point of [Mor, Inv]
    4-You give: 4 points of [Art, Esp, Inv] ; You get: a permanent point of whatever (Note, demand for these stats is limited. Especially Inv)

Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo
    Otherwordly, Martial, Mercenary

Spoiler: The Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh (Morale: 5)
    Show
    Cousin Arsat

We would like to make a very large trade indeed. However the distance we would have to go is somewhat limiting. If you are willing to cover the distance we would be willing to go through with it. If not then we will only make a smaller trade this month. We are however willing to open a portal linking our territories if you would simply specify where you wish said portal to be placed.

In addition in these times of chaos we feel some order might be needed in the city. Would you be willing to work with us to restore such order.

Minoo, Advocate for the Dead

Show
    As before I'm still willing to make the 1 p Esp for 1 p Eco trade. I would also like to trade 14 t. eco for 1 Eco, 1 Art, and 2 Mor, but if I am understanding the trade rules correctly that would put the total amount being traded up to 44. And at -1 per 3 we'd have to pay 15 stats to ensure everything went through, which is a little prohibitive.

Also proposing an alliance.

Spoiler: Gudite Warband (Morale: 5)
    Show
    Greetings Solyom,

We would be happy to let your forces claim the Eye of Heaven before the Shaitan do.

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus (Morale 5)
    Show
    We would be willing to hire out (8 Mil) for your operations. In addition in these times of chaos we feel some order might be needed in the city. Would you be willing to work with us to restore such order.

Show
    Proposing an alliance.

Spoiler: Hemminghock (Morale: 5)
    Show
    We find ourselves with some additional wealth from the harvest of the leviathans. Would you be willing to make a similar trade as we have done in past months. In addition we find that the city is becoming more and more chaotic, and as feel that as neighbors it would be in our best interests to band together in these trying times.

Show
    Proposing an alliance.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 11

Show

[ooc- It's -1 per 5, not 3, isn't it? We have full permission for trade so no need to pay security through neutral territory.

So if you send me 14 temp eco and 1 permanent stat that's an effective 19, which means you're just barely in 3-cost bucket. Sending you a total of 5 permanent stats, I'd be stuck paying 5 points. But eh, that's what morale is for.

Alliance - probably, depends on the exact details. More detailed/IC response tomorrow]

Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Mor 10
    Rep Martial-Spiritual-Barbarian

Spoiler: Gardeners of The Immortal Flesh
    Show
    Greetings Cousin Arsat,

Delilah's bits and pieces are hidden behind much gunpowder I'm afraid, we paid an owed debt and the merchant is sure to remember us fondly, as such, we'll take only a bit of what we previously dealt in (4 eco for 1 permanent mil and 1 permanent esp).

We may be able to pry some more from Delilah's factories, but I need to know first. You speak to the Aranea often, are you in and if so, what do you expect from it?

I will add, we trust you verily, and don't expect you to join us, for war follows Gulldr's kin and it is too ugly a thing for you. It took sometime to convince the warbands, but we can pledge to your defense with no commitments, but that you don't feel the need to seek protection elsewhere.

Chouvrian's resilience,
    Solyom, Leviatan.

Show
    two things besides the trade:
    are you in on the LTP?

If so, how much have you put in, and what's the split here? (might have some art and esp to buy stats with depending on how we solve this)

Also, I'm offering a more onesided statement of protection (Clan Fuxi's is an actual alliance) so you can keep to your pacifist ways instead of having to join one of the inevitable coalitions, no tribute or further strings attached, just hoping I never have to fight the Lawful good nurgle cultists.

Show
    Greetings Heron,

We appreciate it very much. I hope you can relay to your partner that Delilah is sorry she won't be part of the force, but Daghir will drop a new handcannon for him in her stead because, and I quote, "that'd be his part for the gambling money, and that way he can impress people by lifting a cannon that isn't trash with one hand"

Ase's Longing,
    Solyom Leviatan.

P.S: Do hope we won't be such strangers as we've been so far once the sisters are the only ones between us.

Spoiler: Witch Doctors
    Show
    Greetings spirit traders,

We have signed a peace with Clan Fuxi but our intel still points to some contention for the eye and some of our other expected acquisitions this month, we do hope this amount of soldiers, paired with other goods is enough.

Show
    can do 5 mil and 3 mor, hope that's enough given that mor should do equally well for VIP exp if used on the other half.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2022-09-29 at 09:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: To Heron and Hippo: MOR 8
    Show

Now see that's the kinda step we appreciate someone takin' for us. Just swingin' on our there and asking if you can add some Harpy to Heron & Hippo. Does have a nice ring to it.

That said, we're gonna have to cool yer forge a touch on the request there, much as the ladies' palace might have been impressed by your assets, we're some lovely Gods Fearin' chaste individuals and we're gonna need more than a flex.

How about we start it with somethin' small because the paperwork won't do much for us neighbors right now anyway. Defensive pact, publicly announced. Heron & Hippo guards on Hemminghock doorsteps and Hemminghock rations and ammunition keepin' the boys well fed. Simple terms added below.

Also, we're sending out a public message in the next few days, just know that any amount of shopping that you'd like to do, there is a frequent buyer discount.

Cecelia

OOC:

Right now a direct alliance would basically give us the ability to combine an attack and defense. Honestly, I don't think we need that kind of firepower right now compared to the benefit of these 5 extra lovely stats it would cost. Publicly announced defensive pact would offer the same benefits for now and give us a steady relationship curve.

Spoiler: To the Gudite Warband: MOR 8
    Show

Gotta admit' love takin' the snakes under your wing, inspired strategy after putting some pressure on the door. We mostly do that in economics but we can admire the skill.

Bein' candid, not sure this was the intent of the original deal considering it was more of 'dealin' with the Eye of Heaven' but we're no strangers to the terms of a contract changin'

Our guns won't stop you from marching through to Dashir, but I swear to the Gods if someone tries to take as much as a pebble from one of our cobblestone streets, we'll fill'em with lead.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show

6 mil
    7 Econ
    4 Esp
    3 Art
    9 Inv
    5 mor

Treasure-

1 temp mil (spent)
    4 temp inv
    Temp 4 art (3 spent)
    Temp 2 eco (1 spent)

Artifact: Knight's Blood
    Spoiler
    Show

Knight'sBlood
    This deep, red salve, is made with the blood of the Knight's slain vessel and many bitter herbs. When used to paint the hands and faces of the Witch Doctor's warriors, they each feel within them a faint stirring of the Knight's power, as if he wasn't entirely gone. They fight with one mind, no matter how many of them there are, and blue flames burn around them.

The Knight's Blood can be used once per turn, on any military action where at least 3 mil are contributed. It adds +3 to the action's power and prevents up to 2 stat damage that would be suffered through to defences or attrition. For any LTPs, artefacts or other circumstances where that matters, the action would count as lead by a level 3 VIP, if that is beneficial. Unlike other artefacts, the Knight's Blood can not be stolen, as the Knight's power would not work with any other faction.

Actions:
    Spoiler: Midturn recap
    Show

Win: The City of Daffodils!
    Win: Knight's Blood!

Join the Leviathan hunt!

Get offer for a pact from a God!

Give a portal to the Legio Cerebri!

EoT actions:

Trade the pact offer and a claim on a region for 5 mil, 3 mor!

Free the City of Daffodils outside the walls near region 1

These people deserve fresh air! The scents of flowers must be driving them mad

Attack region 2!

6 mil, 1 temp mil, 4 Esp, 3 temp Art spent. The Knight's Blood Artifact is used for an additional +3
    5 mil donated by the Gudites also added

Vengeance will be ours!

The Witch-Doctors start recruiting a new VIP, The Lady! She specializes in Inv

Other expenses:

The cost to buy econ is reduced by 3 by The Baron

Econ is increased by 1 by spending 1 temp econ

VIPs:

The Trickster (morale)
    level 2 (0/20) no stats spent-> (5/20) 3 morale spent

The Baron (econ) (level 3)
    11/30 (no stats spent)-> 16/30 (no stats spent)

The Lady (inv) (level 0)
    5 morale Spent
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 11

Show

Friend Heron!

Sadly you are correct about a trade of such size being impractical over such distance. In future, I hope.

Still, can get some few barges to palace, to deliver Heatflower Vines. Creepers whose petals and sap are perfect for perfumes and spices, excellent way to flavor meat without changing look or texture! Can plant and have your people harvest and sell to palace court, yes? Flowers ever month, is worth [1 Permanent Economy], easy. In exchange, we will give home and food and work to Court Rats you find squatting in your new palaces [1 Esp].

As for alliance, am happy to pledge peace and friendship, but do not have anyone spare to do formal agreements and draft contracts this month. Would need to work out terms, anyway – no insult, but my cousins do not want to end up shedding blood on account of friends getting into feuds.

-Cousin Arsat.

Spoiler: Legio Cerberus
    Show

Friend Legate!

Am simply writing to confirm – you are sending [6 eco], and we will provide grafts and flowers I mentioned [2 permanent Economy], yes?

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamp
    Show

Friend Leviathan!

Deal you propose is good, happy to accept. Wagons and barges will bring saplings and animals and such soon.

As for house of Spider, yes, my Cousins have heard their plan, likes it very much. And also mostly want Sempiterne and secrets inside it. Have started work, and can very nearly finish it this month. Do not want it to be cause of argument between us, so, here is deal.

Spoiler: Sempiterne Deal
    Show

I’d basically like to buy you out of your interest in the district. So, proposal

1. You send me 12 stats to finish House Aranea’s LTP this turn (Assuming you’ve got that much available? If not I can absolutely finish the project myself next turn, but point 3 will still apply)
    2. I’ll provide 3 permanent stat points right now for your trouble (Esp, if that’s what your looking for from Aranea? Or more Mil, if you’re going a-conquering?)
    3. You’ll allow me to confederate them without conflict, and depending on the stat payout, I’ll send 1-2 additional permanent points as compensation for the opportunity cost

This is assuming you haven’t already made any big investment in the project yourself.

Thoughts?

Offer of protection is very kind, warms my hearts. If you pledge to defend my cousins and Garden, am overjoyed to accept.

-Cousin Arsat

Show

15. - Top - End - #195

The Bloodsworn Shaitan

MORALE 12

Spoiler: To Hemminghock
    Show

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Willing to trade 2 ECO for 2 MIL.

Spoiler: To the Carnival
    Show

A human emissary is sent on behalf of the Shaitan to the Carnival. The emissary reiterates that the attack on the Witch-Doctors was retaliatory, as they had offered to create portals against the Shaitan, and that the Shaitan have no further interest in the Witch-Doctors now that the message is sent.

They also offer a prize to the Carnival, should they wish it - they can offer a territory for the Carnival to expand into, and can leave it without being destroyed
    (OOC: you would get stat points for taking it, from my understanding). You would just have to arrange access next turn).

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2022-09-30 at 12:27 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

16. - Top - End - #196

PaladinGuy

Legio XXIIX Cerberus

Morale 14

Players

Spoiler
    Show
    Correct, thank you for your service, goodly cousin. And you may of course trade through Cerberus Territory this month. We will do our best to keep the routes secure.

Now that you are back from the Hunt, one thing that idly occurs to me is that your pact with the Shaitan may not cover Mercenary work. Would you be willing to hire out any military you have remaining to the Legion? I can even promise they will not be used to fight the bloodsworn, so as not to anger them.

Imperial Salutations
    Legate Orbei

The Slayers of the Silent Saints
    Spoiler
    Show
    Confessor,
    Earlier this month you said you would aid our war effort against the Shaitan with what military support you could spare. How much aid do you have available? We border eachother now, so there shouldn’t be a concern for trade penalty, but in order to finalize my plans it would be best if I had exact numbers.

Given your message security concerns, simply send three numbers in return, I will plan as though the second number was the military aid you will be providing.

Stay safe in the coming months, we will aid your restoration in the coming months.

Imperial Salutations
    Legate Orbei

Heron and Hippo
    Spoiler
    Show
    An Alliance with an illustrious hero such as yourself would be more than welcome. I could secure the funds for such an endeavor immediately, and we could be public allies by the start of next month. Does that align with your intentions? Once we are so allied I would be happy to assist you in your delving of the spirit world, as beyond using the otherworld for travel the Cerberus banner has little need of contacting the spirits, at least in the near future. In exchange I hope that you might support our military operations, particularly against the Shaitan.

As to the generous offer of a mercenary price, we will happily accept and pay 8 t.eco for the full 8 t.mil.

Imperial Salutations
    Legate Orbei

NPCs

Legio Aquila
    Spoiler
    Show
    Good Legate,

My commitment to completing the city militia project remains strong, and I will do my part in aiding its completion this month, but my battle against the Bloodsworn continues, and their morale is far from broken. If you can spare any forces from the walls, even a token force, it would be most appreciated. The militia will need a city to protect after all, and right now the Shaitan are the greatest immediate threat within the walls.

Imperial Salutations
    Legate Orbei

OOC, leaning on our 3 shared traits that might hopefully secure some aid

Legio Minotaurus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgemaster,

Our deal is near up, with this month seeing the end of our dealings that made up our pact for the harvest crisis. But alas, the Shaitan continue to press their terror within the very city walls, not to mention the Gudites and their own questionable actions in the west of the city. To that end, I have secured a guarantee from the Warcamp that they will not assail you, as a favour to you and in appreciation to your aid during the Harvest. But I come once again asking for aid, my battle with the Shaitan grows to a fever pitch, and any forces you could spare, even as a token, would be of great assistance both in sheer power, as well as reassuring the city that the Legions are acting in some degree of unity. Divided, any of the three of us may be seen like the Triumph, weak and conquerable, but even if it simply looks like we are working together, it would dissuade even the foolish from interrupting your works.

Imperial Salutations
    Legate Orbei

OOC, leaning on our shared traits that might hopefully secure some aid, as well as having worked with them honestly for the past few months
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2022-09-30 at 01:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Spiritual - Informed - Heroic

All Messages Public

Spoiler: To Legio XXIIX Cerberus
    Show
    Dear Legate Orbei,

The numbers we have are encoded as per your instructions: 9-15-21-18-9. We trust you to handle the rest of the arrangements.

Additionally, as a token of our favour you may find agents at your disposal to read the secrets of the city.

Slayer-Confessor Vorin, Sancta Exspira

Show
    Confirmed. And consider your Esp to be at least 8 this turn for the sake of reading mail.

Spoiler: To the Hemminghock Family Company
    Show
    Show
    Willing to pay 13 Eco (9 after trade penalties) for 13 Mil (9 after trade penalties) Mil sent to Legio Cerberi against the Shaitan. As an additional cost, you must not sell any Mil or Mor to the Shaitan this turn.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2022-09-30 at 03:51 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

18. - Top - End - #198

Hemminghock:

Spoiler: To the Bloodsworn: MOR 8
    Show

Unfortunately we're a touch sensitive to offers from you considering we're still scraping blood off our streets in Dashir. Sweeten the pot a little and we might consider a deal.

Spoiler: The Silent Saints: MOR 8
    Show

OOC: Need to wait on Heron and Hippo to see if I can do a full 12, but I can do a 1:1 for whatever amount. Consider it 12 unless I message again.

Spoiler: To Heron and Hippo: MOR 8
    Show

We are in the market for INV, if you have some to spare.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 11

Spoiler: Legio Cerberus
    Show

Friend Orbei!

Unfortunately, all acolytes and friends we have who might be worth bringing to fight are needed for another project of my cousins. Best luck, though! Am sure you will not need little bit of help they might be anyway.

-Cousin Arsat

Show

20. - Top - End - #200

A codex of the Gods of Ardakand at the time of the first Interregnum - Part I: the Barbaric practises
    By the pen of Sivacus Arius Caudex, Historian to the Satrap

In the latter years of the interregnum, once-fair Ardakand became host to hundreds of new cults, as the once-ordered hierarchy of Gods and men fell apart and, just as the mortal warlords struggled for a place without an Emperor to keep them in check, without the Sky ruling over them, the Gods went to war.

We will begin this codex with some of the cults that arose among the many barbarians and provincials that had come to Ardakand in those years in order to wrest control from proper imperial authorities.

The Gudite Warcamp were foreign barbarians, recently arrived in the city from the heaven-forsaken edge of the Earth known as the Adarates, had made a living as pirates and mercenaries before setting their eyes on outright contest. Their religion was thoroughly primitive, steeped in blood sacrifice and warrior-oaths, dedicated to the barbaric wargod Gulldr and his followers, cruel gods of fate, death and the hunt. In their time in Ardakand, they only added few new gods to their Pantheon: the Crow, a scavenger spirit of the northern tundras, usually worshipped by graverobbers and other unclean professions, and an imperially unsanctioned psychopomp named Chouvrian, once worshipped about the rebellious mountain bandits of Iossau. They would pray to Great Gulldr for martial glory, Kindly Father Chouvrian for a clean death and quick passage to their death-god Ase, and the crow for plunder.
    Lesser cults were said to arise among the Gudites, as well, worshipping a Rialtan aspect of Chouvrian as a guide to merchants and travellers against danger and the Crow as a guardian of lost knowledge. There were, even then, rumours of a third, mystery cult among them, dedicated to a figure called “The Dreadknight”, perhaps connected to the sacred Knight Belligerent which commonly fought on the Gudite’s side.
    Geomancy was commonly practised among the Gudites and individual warriors commonly carried crude stone idols they had shaped themselves from the rocks of their urban battlefields and wore black feathers on their cloaks from the colossal swarms of crows that had gathered in the ruins to feast on the corpses their warmongering left behind.

Idols of Chouvrian, Crow, Gulldr

The Heron and the Hippo were at that time merely mercenaries, though especially the Hormoz the Hippo, by all accounts a bull of a man and rumoured even then to be a demigod, was quickly amassing followers and even the recognition of the Temple and the remaining Princes of the Blood for his deeds. In religious matters, Heron himself was known to be strictly pragmatic, choosing as the patron not a god of war or glory, but the formerly rather minor imperial god Kives, the Remover of Obstacles, a god of planning and logistics and commonly depicted as a faceless chess figurine, mainly worshipped by quartermasters and bureaucrats, proving the saying about amateurs talking tactics and experts talking logistics. His fame, however, rather substantially grew when in the summer of that year, he was spotted accompanied by Aq Bars, the peacock-winged snow leopard that had been the personal totem of the Great Khan during his conquests.
    Minoo the Heron, meanwhile, dedicated herself to Lagamal, the judge of the underworld, becoming famous as the Advocate for the Dead who would ritualistically bless or doom famous citizens of the city on their death.

Sacred peacock-cloak of the khanate shamans, chess-idol of Kives, masked advocate of Lagamal

Curiously, as word of his deeds began to spread and he increasingly became to prove himself as one of the mightiest warriors on the city, the Hippo began to attract a small, but dedicated cult of his own. When the Great Khan’s personal totem began to follow him, they called him an incarnation, a dragon-blooded immortal warrior-demigod come to protect the city from all dangers.

The Hemminghock Family Company had recently been founded in the years of the Interregnum by a cabal of beastmen from a bloodline that had long ago been cursed by the gods into the shape of harpies for their greed. They soon became the cities largest supplier of then-modern gunpowder weapons in all sizes and amassed enormous wealth through their shrewd business tactics and military expansionism. Religiously, the harpy sisters were ruthlessly transactional, taking as their patron Andvari, a deity that had originated as a patron of scribes and tax-collectors, but with the advent of banking and industry in that century became a powerful and well-respected god of wealth and influence, known as the Invisible Hand, able to steer and guide complex market forces. His symbol was a golden hand or harpy talon, richly decorated and his ceremonies incredibly lavish to embody the uncouth barbarian’s endless grasping for riches.

The Bloodsworn Shaitan, as mindless forces of corruption and devastation, did not, of course, have religion themselves, but inspired many cults among the superstitious lower classes. These vary from the pointless blood-sacrifices of those who sought to be spared by the revenants, to those who sought to become like them by murder and arson. Most insidious were those truly lost souls who sacrificed themselves to call and strengthen the hosts of hell, seeing nothing remain in their lives but vengeance.

Last edited by Eldan; 2022-09-30 at 04:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

To the Legio Cerberus

From the Legio Aquila [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hail, Legate Orbei

We understand, and are gladly willing to help. As there do not seem to be any kind of outside dangers currently threatening the city for as far as the Rukh flies, we are willing to coordinate some of our forces with yours, though we must keep the larger part back in case of attack by the Shaitan.

The Eagle Legate.

OOC: They are willing to lend you 3 t.mil this turn.

From the Legio Minotaurus [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Cerberus is being utterly snubbed, no replies arrive from the Artefactory at all

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards
    Morale 8

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus and Slayers of Silent Saints
    Show

Good day, with the Leviathan slayed we know how much we can offer. We have [8 t mil] for sale. Make an offer on it, we will also accept [24] and [39] under our protection if you plan to do a full clearance of them. We lay claim to these districts anyways and are more than happy to open our borders to go for them. That being said, if you don't plan to take those, we also accept [t econ] and [t art].

Spoiler: Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh
    Show

Good day!

With the Leviathan down we know how much we can look to buy now. Specifically, we want alchemical reagents you can grow. We would like to buy [5 P artifice] and [2 P morale] for [21 t eco] and [2 t inv]

Last edited by Hamste; 2022-09-30 at 05:09 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

PaladinGuy

Legio Cerberus

Morale 14

The Golden Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will attempt to Seize [24] and release it to you once the fighting has completed. Send your forces across the bridge to 17 and we will coordinate from there.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo
    Otherwordly, Martial, Mercenary

Spoiler: Gardeners of Immortal Flesh (Morale: 5)
    Show
    Cousin Arsat,

Then it is agreed. As a reminder we also need to know where you would like your side of the portal.

For clarity regarding the alliance we have also reached out to the Legio Cerberus and the Hemminghock Family as we regard both of them to be trustworthy.

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus (Morale: 5)
    Show
    Legate Orbei,

Then we are agreed in both matters. Just so that you are informed we have also reached out to both the Gardeners and Hemminghock regarding an alliance. Though they have been more hesitant than you.

Hormoz, The Dragonblooded

Spoiler: Hemminghock (Morale: 5)
    Show
    We would be willing to trade (6 t. Inv) for (1 Eco, 1 Art) as we have done in the past with our warriors. If this isn't agreeable then we can spare (5 t. Inv) for (5 t. Eco).

We are fully willing to declare a public defensive pact. For your information we have also reached out to the Gardeners and the Legio Cerberus as they seem to be honorable people.

Also since you are agreeable we have been told that the Gudites are planning to capture the Eye of Heaven.

Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2022-09-30 at 06:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Clan Fuxi of the White Snake

Mor 5
    Rep: Spiritual, Otherworldly, Ambitious

Spoiler: Public/Gudites
    Show
    Fuxi has bestowed its great wisdom upon the clan. Directing them to make peace with the Barbarians from the West and help guide them to the light of Fuxi.

We declare an alliance is to be had with the Gudites.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2022-10-05 at 05:32 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Morale: 10

Spoiler: Gardeners of the immortal Flesh
    Show
    Cousin Arsat,

All is agreed then, we will make the pledge as soon as our partnership with Fuxi is running, wouldn't want anyone thinking that our attention is too divided to watch them.

Solyom, Leviatan.

Show
    all good, add 2 mil and 1 esp to my cart.

Spoiler: HemmingHock Family company
    Show
    The praise means a lot, coming from the savyest merchant mistresses this side of Iossau's mountains. As for the other point, it is noted, nothing nailed, no nails and no dust specks out of order.

Destia's bounty,
    Solyom Leviatan.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Bugbear in the Playground

Carnival of Chains
    Morale: 12

Artistic, Criminal, Egalitarian

End of Turn 4
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    The Carnival of Chains

Stats
    7 Mil
    9 Esp + 10 t. Esp
    1 Eco + 12 t. Eco
    12 Mor
    1 Art
    2 Inv

5 VP

VIPs
    The Helm [Esp 2] (8 / 20)

Albatross [Esp 2] (11 / 20)

Shackle [Esp 2] (11 / 20)

LTPs
    [The Chains That Bind] - The Carnival's performances spark hope in the oppressed and terror in the oppressors. <Gain 1 t. Esp per stat destroyed by Esp Stat Attacks involving the Carnival of Chains>

[The Blade of the People] (6 / X) - A guillotine that binds the soul of the executed into one of the ringmasters of the Carnival. <Execute a captured VIP to add their XP to a VIP of the Carnival of Chains>

2 Inv to remove distance penalty on stat attack.

6 Esp, 10 t. Esp, 12 VIP Esp, 2 Mil, 3 Mor destroy House Aranea's Espionage, eliminating the NPC.

Add the agents of the Spider to Ruaridh's pyre convoy.

<33 Esp attack, 6 Mor boosted to 9, 12 damage, so reduce Espionage to 0 unless they traded for 3+ Esp with their PMs last turn>

3 Esp boosts message interception by 6.

5 Mil builds 1 Mil.

8 Mor builds 1 Inv.

12 t. Eco builds 3 Esp.

1 Art works on [The Blade of the People].

28. - Top - End - #208

TURN 5
    The old order is upset entirely, now. Of the old powers of the city, none remain. Just as the Flamen Caelestis was about make it public that the Temple of the Sky would bend to Hormoz the Hippo and declare him Ardakand's new emperor, by the grace of all the gods, ruler of earth and sky, men and gods, the Shaitan have finished what they started in the High Fane. The statues of the Pantheon, that toppled when the Mandate fell, are now dust. The priests are slain, where they stood, and the Flamen Caelestis found disemboweled and crucified upside down under the skylight of the main altar. The once pristine white walls are scrawled with a thousand blasphemies, written in filth, blood and ashes. This will never again be a holy place.
    Elsewhere, too, the vestiges of old power are destroyed. It takes a long time, for anyone notice the difference, for the Sempiterne has always been quiet, especially in the last few months, when they have closed their gates to most ancestor-worshippers. But days go by, without anyone entering or leaving, with no movement and finally, some of the braver neighbors go to investigate. The gates are closed, but inside, there is only destruction. The bones of the honored ancestors have been torn from their niches and graves, tossed into piles and formed into primitive altars, to Ruairidh, the god of destruction and rebrith, who destroys the old and grows the new. The Ruinwalkers and the mortal acolytes of the spider lie dead on the altars, burned with their mummified charges. This month, the carnival has come to the Aranea, and has destroyed them.

The Temple of the Sky and House Aranea are destroyed.

The Legio Aquila has gone in the opposite direction, to prevent the destruction of the city, and possibly their own, and have confederated with the Legio Cerberus. Hormoz the Hippo, too, was spotted at the ceremony, among the legates, the three powers swearing an alliance to protect the city from all dangers, their joined soldiers drinking and cheering and swearing lesser oaths of brotherhood. The new alliance wastes no time to show their combined might and in a series of assaults, they secure most of the territories devastated by the Shaitan, though fighting is minimal.

The Hippo and the Heron and the Legio Cerberus swear an alliance. Legio Cerberus has confederated the Legio Aquila.

Elsewhere in the city, far stranger bedfellows than the three heroic protectors of the innocents are swearing alliances, too. Mere days after they were brutally fighting each other all across the west of the city, with mansions ablaze and geomancers lying screaming and dying in the streets, Solyom the Leviathan of the Gudites and the high nobles of the Fuxi are seen on the steps of the restored Fuxi mansion together, shaking hands. And equally, everyone can see just how cold the eyes of the Fuxi are, above their plastered-on smiles, and how strained the politeness of the Gudite warleaders, who are far too heavily armed for a political show of friendship. A respectful joining of forces between the city's best, and the might of the newcomers from the Adarates, they say. Cherry blossoms and fanfares for all.

Clan Fuxi and Gudite Warcamps swear an alliance.

But the grandest events of the season are not about the new alliances sworn between old powers. The citizens of Ardakand awake to blaring trumpets. The parade begins at the westernmost point of the city and makes its way through almost all the wards. Clad in bronze and red, with spears and muskets and gleaming shields, hundreds of ranks of warriors, the thunder of their perfectly synchronized steps shaking the buildings as they pass. They are clad in the pelts of the monsters they have slain and the idols they have conquered, the banners of their barbaric gods held high. At their front, holding the sacred flag of Gulldr, the supreme conqueror, is Daghir, the Wolf, the city's most terrifying warrior.
    Everyone in the city sees their triumphant march, as they make their way into the devastated white quarter, up the hill, to the despoiled Eye of Heaven, where they plant their flags and the statues of their gods on the shore, to look out over the entire city. This is their message: the Sky and the Empire is gone, Conquest reigns supreme from Gulldr's bloodshot Eye.

On the coast, a miracle happens. Du Lac, the Baron's Vessel, uncorks the bottle holding the City of Daffodils, and in the new dawn, it blooms, growing in an eyeblink to full size. A flower-shaped tower, tall as any in the city, of gorgeous golden filigree, with chimes that gently swing in the wind, and arranged around it, six petal-shaped penninsulas, their houses painted in warm oranges and yellows, full of happy, well-fed, cheering citizens. There are feasts, dancing and music, and graceful smiling elders clapping hands with the Baron, through his vessel, swearing to do all they can to repay their debt.

There is one final piece of sad news. With his plans to take the palace and the temple destroyed, on the very evening when he signed an alliance with the united Legions, Hormoz is murdered. Not gloriously, slaying wyrms and gods, as he was known to, but in the streets, by a bravo with a knife, a drunk youth out to prove himself. The Hippo, seen by many as an immortal demigod, blessed by gods and dragonblood, slowly bleeds out from a gut wound.

Mages, shamans and invokers report that there is a strange feeling to all power drawn from the spirit world, now. Where before, the veil was just a thin barrier, separating the two worlds, it now feels more like a living skin, pulsating and alive, pushing ever so slightly back at any who try to call on the power or travel through it. And disturbing dreams increase in frequency, too. Thousands report that their dreams are full of pale, slithering shapes, and gaping maws, waiting to devour them. Something in the spirit world, or the veil between the worlds is fundamentally disturbed. This is the omen, too, that hundreds now speak from their dreams and waking trances: the stormtossed ocean, old laws and structures falling, new dangers arising, chaos, chaos everywhere.

Even the least farmer knows what comes when the world is stretched too far, from a hundred childhood stories. It grows thin, and in the secluded, numinous places, where since creation, the material and the spiritual were never properly separated, they begin to intermingle each other. It is how the fey are made, those beings not entirely human, nor entirely spirit, who can not live in either world, but can only live in the contaminated spaces between. Some say they are spirits, trying to be human, and failing. Others say that they are humans who peered too far into the spirit world, who got lost, and can no longer prevent the power from flowing through themselves. But they are wild, and cruel and without remorse, almost in human shape, but with the power of spirits.

For centuries, the land around Ardakand has been civilized, ruled by one authority. Strict rules, for men and spirits and nature, based on transaction, pacts, contracts, laws. But now, the mandate is fallen. Instead of one authority, competing mortal power blocks are scrambling to grab the power of the gods, and the spirit world nexuses. There is no longer one law, there are many competing laws, nature is out of order and at the margins, chaos is creeping in. And so, for the first time in three hundred years or more, the Fey have come to Ardakand. For now, there are only few stories, of dark hunters, slaying lonely travellers, dancing flower maidens, stealing brave young men away, old crones, changing the disrespectful into wild beasts. But the frequency is increasing.

Event Mechanics: the Wild Hunt
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three things must be done:
    First, the fey must be found. 10 points of espionage, to track them or invocation, to feel them out. They are tricky, and hard to find, especially when there are, so far, only few of them. This must be done by midturn.
    Second, the fey must be fought. They are weak, still, so with ten points of artifice or military, it should be possible to clear them out.
    Third, and most importantly, the weak spots, where the worlds bleed into each other, must be sealed. This costs another 20 points of invocation or artifice.

There will, almost certainly, be no real reward for this. A handful of points of invocation, a few bonus XP. But if this is not done now, there will only be more of them, they will only get stronger, and eventually, they will come for the city-dwellers, too, attacking travellers in the spirit world, or nexus points, or the outlying districts. They are unpredictable, but always dangerous.

The celestial disorganization manifests in other ways, too. For now, the city's mortals have concentrated on the gods, the largest, most powerful spirits. But they have neglected the minor spirits, that are said to make everything work. The elementals, household deities, kobolds, kami, daemons, lares, known by a thousand names in a thousand cultures. Their displeasure is felt in a thousand ways, through the city. Minor spells take more energy, alchemy tends to either achieve nothing, or explode, constructs are sluggish, or prone to malfunction. Larger projects seem constantly on the edge of catastrophic malfunction. And everyone, everywhere, feels an increase in bad luck. Dishes break, doors stick, socks vanish.

And then, the bellringers appear. Tiny creatures, known only from very old legends, they are the Heralds of the minor spirits, tiny autonomous constructs, that begin to patrol the city at night, their loud ringing robbing everyone's sleep. They have demands. They, too, are due respect under the Mandate, little as it is. They demand respect, and offerings, just like the gods, because they are doing the ones all the work.

Event Mechanics: Revolt of the Minor Spirits
    Spoiler
    Show
    The minor spirits are unhappy. They demand sacrifices and worship, just like the larger gods. A festival, at least. All artifacts (even minor, stat-increasing equipment for VIPs) or artifice-based LTPs have a small chance not to work this turn, or, in the case of major artifacts or expensive LTPS, to even backfire.
    To make sure everything works properly, offerings are called for. 1 morale, or invocation, or economy, for each minor artefact and LTP under 30 points, 2 for each major artefact or LTP for over 30 points. Or you could take the chance of failure.

However, the spirits know to negotiate: whoever invests the most in these offerings, this turn (including paying more than is strictly necessar), will be rewarded with a unique contract, gaining the aid of the minor spirits in the future. (This takes the form of a unique ability, likely one-use)

Favour of Heaven:
    The Carnival of Chains: 5
    Slayers of the Silent Saints: 5
    Gudite Warcamp: 3
    Legio Cerberus: 3
    Heron and Hippo: 3
    Clan Fuxi: 2
    Bloodsworn Shaitan: 2
    Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh: 1
    Golden Guard: 1
    Witch Doctors: 1
    Hemminghock: 1

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards
    Morale 8

Armies of golems over flow the streets as repairs are well under way of the destroyed district. It would be awhile before the actual population was back but for now they could rebuild it exactly how they wanted to in absolute perfection. If only there wasn't so many people in the other districts who would complain. They could have reorganized everything so easily. For now though they had to satisfy themselves with rebuilding logical infrastructure rather than the randomness that often results from unplanned growth.

Spoiler: To everyone
    Show

Good day everyone!

With the increasing tensions we have been growing our repertoire of siege class golems. We would now like to rent them out. They come in groups worth about [5 t. Mil] and we are renting out 4 bundles as well as a minor bundle of an unoptimized golem that can be supported with many of our armored class golems. Make an offer if you wish to rent one or multiple bundles!

Show

Offering to rent out several bundles of golems and artificers worth 5 military total. Make an offer if interested.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Last week

Handling the truth

Blood, sweat, violence and screams are all things expected on a large majority of Gudite special occasions, their relative commonality clashing with the odd sight of an unarmored wolf, standing nearby, one of her hands gripped tight by the screamer, a robed Delilah, almost twice her usual size, if only from the massive increase in her abdominal area, with her intermittent screaming contrasting with the gentle words of Gudite midwives, the low chanting of priests, and the commentary of some of the best healers money could pay.

The scene could have been eternal (especially for the one being attended) a constant repeat, as whatever rituals and unguents the midwives and priests used seem to fardly make any progress in the steady coercion of the newborn. With the only major distraction from the struggle of life being a visit from Delilah’s pet crow, delivering a small shiny thread of silver, probably stolen from some careless weaver.

The bird didn’t see its usual reward, a nearby midwife attempting to shoo him away as even his owner called out “Screw your kind!!!” to a little smirk from the wolf, who interjected amidst calls to push a different whisper “Learned not to deal with Si'lat, have we?” “Screw you too!!” A customary attempt at a punch got nowhere, stopped physically as both of Delilah’s hands were already pressing her's hard enough to draw blood from anyone but Daghir, and mentally by renewed pain, causing gritted teeth and sobbing that made The Wolf feel shame about her previous snark. Delilah muttered a question as tears were wiped from her face “The hell is a Si’lat anyway?” and the struggle returned to routine with a gentle “It’s no matter”

After hours and hours the boy was healthy, huge and slapped back when he was spanked to make him cry. He growled without end during his first night in the world, nurses, priests and mages watching all through the night, with perfect records claiming, that by the time the sun came back (some would say slower than it should), The once bald baby had a mane dark like the night and twice as wild, had claws and fangs and eyes like Azagar’s when angered. And all those hired to care for him had a kinship, for they agreed that the child, who hadn’t even lived long enough to speak yet, was a terrible thing.

Present day

Gulldr’s grey goats
    It hadn’t been a perfect move, for only the gods know such things, but it was a damn near thing. There were sacrifices, and not the proper kind either. She had worked hard to get control over the moneylenders and then whittled it all away to her grumbling kin, but kneeling as she was near the shining pool she knew it was worth it.

it had taken a while to clean the defacing, to consecrate again such a strong spot, days of chanting, of rituals only meant for closed doors, and a king’s ransom in molten lead poured in the eye, but they had done it, not only for their own delusions of grandeur, no. Locals on the street felt it even if they didn’t know how to describe it, the Pantheon, ever so far, was now a presence in the city. The sacred spots of the east were theirs, and nostalgic Gudites across all jobs took a day to visit that highest spot, whose energy reeked of home (incidentally causing a one day boon as nobles and merchants scrambled to hire last minute mercenary escorts).

“We did well” The Leviathan, had spent every last day since their arrival in the site, fasting, guiding rituals, praying and now allowed himself that little complacency, magnified by the temple of the sky seeing their downfall just a few days earlier.

“What do you suggest now?” The wolf was but another priest in the byzantine movements of renegade theology, despite her warband, her victories, she referred to Solyom for matters of spirituality, for guidance, even when she saw the pantheon unequal in footing to Gulldr and his priorities above theirs, it was harder to ignore the unifier when the Pantheon grew larger every day and is not like she wanted to.

Solyom pretended to ponder for a moment, or perhaps heard a whisper, or fell asleep, he was hard to read when infused with the sort of powers such locations would invest one with, eventually he uttered “Do better”

And without opening their eyes, for their reverence hadn’t ended, both priests shared a grin.

Calm

It had been enough since she was allowed to work, a thought she has had on long voyages or particularly tiresome dinners, this instance was closer to the last but had implications. Of course such implications escaped Delilah currently, a black feather on her hand as she inking a small treatise on underwater fluid propulsion, tectonic interference with reservoir and the effect upon local Leylines, she had missed the practical testing but Jahandir had given her enough notes that her own previous experiences could probably suffice for an educational pamphlet and then perhaps some independent research.

She had barely finished the current draft when a familiar pairing interrupted, prompting her to look at an hourglass she had neglected to turn around for gods know how long. A robed Ulde entered with child who looked 4, if tall for that age, with a wild blue mane that strained against leather hair ties, claws half polished for a better grip and fangs, with a look like Azagar when angered, if not for thick eyebrows that carried with their every gesture a gentle nature. And the boy walked crouched and in leaps, like a beast of awe.

“Rupeeeeert, how did you like your lessons?” Delilah asked the boy with a smile as he approached her chair, until he was close enough to pull on her lab coat and look up with a wide smile on his own and a nod. The Geomancer turned to Ulde inquisitively “He was extremely well behaved master Fairway”

“Of course you were” she spoke back to Rupert, patting his hair and changing almost nothing of importance to the naked eye when she tousled it. “Give me half an hour then and…” She felt a few more gentle pulls on her lab coat, the kid looking up with a tinge of sadness that Delilah was smart enough to immediately turn away, but not fast enough to not catch a glimpse, from. “Mmmm…” she mulled over it, moving her head to the sides but never looking down, the pulls and purring a gentle reminder and important part of the shameless (and successful) attempt to coerce a reward out of her.

“I Still have to test some of them *Fwssshh* piri piri piri… things, you like those, right?” She asked, mimicking a firework’s motion with her hands for good measure, the boy effusively nodded, beaming. “That a boy, I like them too” she winked and picked him up with some strain, placing him on her shoulders “Uff, you are getting heavy” A sad Hmmm was heard from above her “Ha! no worries, it’s not a bad thing, just means soon enough Daghir is gonna have to carry you twice as much” The boy seemed pleased, and purred happily the rest of the way to the open testing ground the fireworks awaited in.