New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Total War - Mandate of Heaven

The Witch-Doctors never wanted war. They wanted peace and prosperity for everyone. And they never really knew why they were targeted and had their doubts about who had come for their holy tower.

It didn't matter now. They were taking it back!!!

Spoiler: Current VIPs and stats, GM only
    Show

6 Mil (1 spent in Midturn) +5 from gardeners at Midturn (+1 stat growth at EoT)
    10 Econ (spent in trade at Midturn)
    4 Esp
    4 Art
    9 Inv (6 spent in Midturn) (+1 stat growth at EoT)
    10 Mor (1 spent in Midturn)

5 tp Inv, 6 temp Art(spent)

VIPs

The Trickster (morale) level 2 (17/20) (sent)

The Baron (econ) Level 4 12/40

The Lady (inv) level 2 4/20

The Page (mor) level 2 4/20

The Knight (Mil) level 2 (2/20)

The Rake (mil) level 1 3/10 (2 misc spent)

The Cenobite (art ) level 1 2/10

The Blood Scribe(inv 2) 4/20

The Merchant level 1 0/10

Spoiler: previous action recap, GM only
    Show

Trade and tribute-

The Blood scribe and 2 additional Inv gift a portal to the Golden Guards as tribute

1 morale and 1 mil are tributed to Aei Zan

A portal is made to the Gardeners to trade 10 temp econ for 5 perm mil

Other-

The Baron Econ (4), The Page mor (2), The Trickster Mor (2), and The Lady inv (2) (total effectiveness 22 after the tax for The Hedge-Keeper) go delving!

The Hedge-Keeper is asked to hold back any delving rewards for House Hemminghock

The Witch-Doctors Join to the Genius Loci.

Spoiler: EoT- GM only
    Show

The Rake is sent to secure the abandoned territory 12. No resistance is expected.

The Knight and his Brother, the Cenobite, the latter using The Knight's Blood Relic, and 10 mil and 10 Art are sent to retake the Prime Homfour at Region A.

Note that because the Golden Guards are using a portal prepared by the Bloodscribe, Hemminghock suffers stat damage from the Golden Guard presuming that they send troops to assist my attack.

Accept 4 t. econ from The Golden Guard as reparations.

Use the power of The Baron and 2 ESP to raise INV by 1!

Feed 1 Esp to The Rake!

Spend 4 econ and 1 Esp to recruit a new spirit- The Merchant! Econ lvl 1.

8 morale is spent to increase Mil by 1!

The pheonix seed is returned!
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2023-01-22 at 07:10 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo

Spoiler: Heron and Hippo & the Gardeners (Morale 12)
    Show
    Then we will take the Trickster's Mirror, the Compass, and the remaining treasure. We hope that this collaboration will continue despite the likely coming war.

Spoiler: The Gardeners (Morale 12)
    Show
    Excellent news.

Spoiler: The Legion and Hemminghock Family (Morale 12)
    Show
    We would welcome an alliance. Unfortunately however we are not in a good position to trade our security measures away as we were unable to secure any additional such from the Gardeners this month. We would gladly lend the Hemminghock family our forces to prepare, but it seems that you do not require them.

It also seems that our collective response is somewhat disjointed at the moment. As such we think that a counter attack might be more prudent next month. Though we can lend the Legion the Khan's banner if they require it.

OOC: I think trying to coordinate a strike this late is not going to go well. But next turn we can work on it from the start. Plus I have pacts that can help if I know to activate them ahead of time.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

espionage defense: 23
    Rep: Barbarian, spiritual, martial

Spoiler: Heron and Hippo
    Show
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    approved

Spoiler: Hemminghock family company
    Show
    Show
    approved

Spoiler: Gardeners of the inmortal flesh
    Show
    sold

Spoiler: The witch doctors
    Show
    Pay it no mind, I'm glad it was of use at least as a safety net.

-Daghir, The wolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Clan Fuxi of the White Snake

Mor 13
    Rep: Spiritual, Otherworldly, Ambitious

Spoiler: Gudites
    Show
    Greetings,

We plan to fake advantage of the chaos. Attempting to snag some land from the Witch Doctors as the conflict rises with tge Gudites and Eliminate the thrrat of the newly risen Hippo as the mercenaries unite the rest of the city with them to contest our mastery of the Spirit World.

If you would join us marvelous. If not then make plans of your own to take advantage of the chaos.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

5. - Top - End - #455
    Colossus in the Playground

Turn 10: Judgement

The living city blooms. If the war had not flamed up again, one would think it a time of plenty. Pitcher plants grow from corner stalls, filled with hearty crimson stew, free for the taking. Rainbow-scintillating orchids climb the walls, the shifting of their colours telling the news, the weather, warning of danger. All wounds can be healed, gaping wounds filled with liquid flesh, withered and lost limbs regrown in heartwood. Thorny vine-serpents longer than buildings slither through streets and canals alike, moving all the goods that keep the city alive.
    And then, we dreamt of the thorns. Black they were, sneaking into every dream and waking thought, woven together to block out the sky. And on them were impaled our spirits and our gods, writhing in agony and ecstacy and unable to die, all the bloodshed and violence of the city drawn into their roots, to the heart.
    We all felt it when the heart began to beat, at the heart of those thorns, at the Nexus. All our hearts beat in lockstep, from then on, from the flies up to the buildings, all in one beat, all lives one life. The walls are slick and red and the canals have filled with bone-white algae, almost thick enough to walk on, and deep enough to swallow any who try.

The Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh have completed a Wonder.

War rages on. The vulture-warlords have found the weakest among them and are mercilessly circling in. The Fuxi, it is said, took the Mire with no more than three serpentkin warrior-nobles, each wielding different elemental powers. There is hardly any resistance as, by all reports, all the god-ridden witch warriors are fighting for the city of Daffodils. The first reports in come in as the month turns, blue flames flaring, projectiles thundering, harpies locked in struggle with golden colossi.
    Then, the blockade closes. More Hemminghock troops move in, blocking every way into and out of the Daffodils, defilades and barricades on every bridge, dozens of heavily-armed warships blocking every canal. And though the explosions continue to thunder across the water and the bellowing of the golems and the collapsing of buildings can still be heard, no one leaves, and no one enters. It is three weeks before things calm down, and the barricade dissolves, and nothing in the district still moves. Only then, as the artificers move in to retrieve their golems do the stories trickle out.
    No one can describe what happened. Soldiers lost hours, or days, or weeks. They only remember the rage, as they fell on each other, tearing at each other with talons and teeth and crushing the fallen with fallen rocks. How the golems went berserk and refused the commands of their masters, tearing down the Daffodils building by building as the surviving troops huddled in the cellars, starving and freezing in the sudden winter cold.

There are no more Daffodils. It is a city of graves.

Another battle takes place in the palace, one entirely different. Not drawn-out and bloody, but lighting quick and brutal, over almost before it begins. Not all who live in the palace loved the Heron and her takeover, or the Hippo and his assumption of the imperial rites. There are plenty of third cousins and lesser daughters, functionaries and bureaucrats, not talented or martial or magically gifted enough to be of service to the two heroes, but all too willing to be bribed. Acolytes and judges are strangled and dragged into the shadows, guard officers poisoned by snakes in their beds and spiders in their boots and soldiers buried alive as explosions collapse the walls of the barracks at midnight. And so, in a single surgical strike, every single loyalist remaining in the palace is eliminated. The Hippo, trembling with rage, was seen standing over the ruins of the throne room. No one has seen Minoo, the Heron, no one knows what her reaction will be.

The dead linger. Not those who died in battle with honour, who would go to their own rewards, or the lost, who would be gathered up by Chovrain, the kindly father, nor those who were betrayed or damned and would be snared by the Spider, absent from the city as it now was. But all those whose lives were shades of grey and uncertainty, whether they were great and powerful or common. Those neither vile nor exalted, those in between the heavens and the hells. All those who were to be judged before moving on.
    The judge of the underworld is dead, the silvery specters whisper, as they drift through the nighttime streets in twos and threes. Great Lagamal’s black throne is shattered, the golden mask and flail and scales torn asunder by great claws. The iron gates of the underworld are barred, and none hold the key.
    And with nowhere to go, they return, in dozens, then hundreds, as the death toll of civil war mounts. They haunt grieving relatives and familial ancestor shrines, wayside temples and graveyards and the taverns and workshops they favored in life.

Event mechanics:
    The ghosts can be exorcized for a cost of 1 t.inv per district at midturn. If they are not, they will instead haunt their former districts, distracting and scaring everyone. This will cost the haunted faction one t.mor per district, which will be automatically subtracted at EOT, before any investments can be made. Additionally, any faction which takes losses will be haunted by additional and especially angry ghosts, causing one morale damage to anyone who loses any stats for any other reason.

Favour of the Gods:
    Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh: 40
    Gudite Warcamp: 21
    Clan Fuxi: 17
    Legio Cerberus: 13
    Hemminghock: 12
    Golden Guard: 3
    Witch Doctors: 0
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-01-30 at 03:58 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Espionage defense: 22

Spoiler: The Witch doctors
    Show
    Greetings spirit travellers,

We must begin by stating that the infringement upon your lands was not, in any way discussed with us.

Reparations will have to wait until the general squabbling is over, but I assure they will come.

Destia's bounty,
    Daghir, The Wolf.

Spoiler: Golden guards
    Show
    Greetings Chemosh,

What are your intentions now, that your punitive expedition seems to have punished both sides just the same?

We could use your might in the coming days, if you don't have a more suitable target.

Gulldr's warmth,
    Daghir, The Wolf.

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi of the White Snake
    Show
    Greetings snake kin,

The board is a mess, we both know what the first option is but there is many things that would get the city fully in our side.

A new mandate for the heavens, diverting another gudite fleet our way, a full restructuring of city living... big enough to overwhelm the three previous one, or well, I'm all ears.

Show
    Greetings sister,

Where is the balance getting tipped at? if you can tip your hand and anything with so many different places to weight in can be called a balance.

I'll venture a guess that a self-sustaining organism with no need to send or take from the outside is not exactly the success you wish to return home with, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

A good day,
    Delilah Fairway.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the the immortal flesh
    Show
    Greetings cousins,

Tensions flare up, they always do, is a welcome respite to have life continuously assert itself over early deaths through your efforts... Is a welcome respite for me at least. Many of my kin are worried about where they'll fit on this new organism, or if they are to be excised when it is done.

May I have a glimpse of your words and plans, to calm those worries?

Damu's vitality,
    Solyom, Leviatan.

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus
    Show
    Esteemed legates,

The city looks towards their last vestiges of imperium, in this age of bloodshed, bronze, steel, conquest; of mutually adulterated industry and wild growth, of dead gods and greater wonders. In this time they look on to you with a sovereign need for direction, many here wouldn't take such directions from us foreigners if all other choices were to jump off to the rocky shores and let the tides have mercy.

As such, where will you lead them?

For the first time since we met, Gulldr's might,
    United council of the warbands.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards
    Morale 11

Chemosh tilts his head looking at the inside of the golem as he pokes around in it. He rattles off some information as a scribe takes notes.

No damage. Unclear what caused the berserk. Likely illusion of some sort. Didn't harm each other. Interestingly, fleeing survivors attacked on sight but no attempts to enter for additional hunting. No consideration of civilians. Control of this berserk effect severely lacking.

Pyrom looks up from the reports he is reading.

Likely, magic based given their targeting of our mages. Only logical reason for going that over our defences.

Spoiler: Guddite Warcamp
    Show

Per our eye for an eye doctrine, we are still fighting with Clan Fuxi and Hemminghock. That being said, we feel the end times coming and do need to prepare. We are willing to rent but we will only accept payment in artifice.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Witch-Doctors

From each corner of the city, the surviving Chual emerge and set up shrines. As they do, the pain of the unjudged dead eases off the psychic senses of the city and its Genius. For three days of dances and songs and sacrifices of objects and livestock they continue, uninterrupted, save by the common people who occasionally join in...

Then it is over.

A voice issues over the land, from the wind, from the graves, but especially from the Golden Tower still in the heart of the ruined city of Daffodils.

This is The Baron. I sought to be Emperor and failed. I sought to be a lord, and your leaders would not have me. I respect this.

But I will have my due in the next life. My family have returned to our homes beyond The Veil and there we will fulfill the vital role of seeing to the dead as we were not continanced to see to the living.

Leave us this tower and respect those of our followers remaining, and the Veil shall be at peace.

Spoiler: final actions
    Show

The Golden Guard get area 12. They also inherit the Book of Portal Mastery and get the services of The Blood Scribe

The Fuxi get area 2

Hemminghock get area A
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

9. - Top - End - #459
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cecelia kicked a piece of golden plate off the balcony she'd landed on. It had been a long day of surveying and categorizing the aftermath of the Golden Guard invasion, and she'd insisted on doing much of it personally.

Fortner Hemminghock had been found early in the day, half smashed under rubble, alive but worse for wear. Nothing money couldn't fix. There were countless others still missing, battered and bleeding under piles of rubble and stone.

Their counteroffensive had failed, but by any measurable metric, Hemminghock had won. The streets in these parts of Ardakand would be paved with a mixture of lead and gold. The Golden Guard had attempted to take two spaces, and districts their machines of war had been found wanting in both.

Then there was the Palace. Heron & Hippo, Hemminghock's first allies in Ardakand.

Most high level employees of Hemminghock knew that Cecelia had been on an expansion venture before. Sethannai, the Golden City of Wonder. All of the records said that she'd come from there, but all of the details had been expunged over the years. She didn't want to talk about it and she made damn sure it was hard to discover.

The select few who'd heard the stories of the Lost God knew what Cecelia saw in the red mornings following the Great Slaughter of Ardakand, she saw Sethannai, a city bleeding, where the slurry of ghosts would rise up so thick they would choke the legions of the living. That was why she'd needed to overlook the searches personally. That was why she needed to see it again for herself.

Momma'd always said she needed something to keep her train on the tracks. Counter offensives? They'd been off the rails. Then again, what the hell was she supposed to do with the Shaitan hissing in the God's ears?

Whatever she chose would need to wait, even the tireless Hemminghock merchants had to pause for Golden Corpses to get dragged out of the streets.

Spoiler: MIDTURN:
    Show

Mustering to the Imperial Palace.

Pacts:

2 MOR to the Nameless Shadow

4 MOR to the Crocodile

3 ECO to Andvari

2 ECO + 1 MIL on Urubeshi

--

Delving:

Sending the Wanderer (VIP INV 2) holding the Veil Knife (+1inv), the Found (LV 1 INV VIP) and 4 INV + 4 ART to buy Entry.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Mor 17

Show
    Greetings,

This entire city is a mess at this point. As to ways to unite the city behind us would it be something we do together or separately. Cause if together then a new mandate of heaven sounds good but if seperate then a new Gudite Fleet for you while we create tribute to Fuxi.

Regards,

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show
    Sending two Tier 3 VIPs (Tamachi and Borte) to the Spirit Wilds. Gain 2 random stats from Heart.

Pact paid.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2023-02-04 at 01:28 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Rep: Martial, Spiritual, Barbarian

Spoiler: Midturn-GM only
    Show

(victory count: one for the attack against Heron&hippo, one for winning the bloodmage in a bid.
    God payments:
    Chouvrian, Kindly Father Death: Paid in victory
    Crow “Caw, Caw”: 1 eco, 1 inv.
    Eldest earth (Paid with Victory)
    Suroch the Devourer (Paid with the eating of Malach)
    Manat, the Immaculate queen: 1 mil.
    Dalnit, Lord of Hunters: 1 esp.

Moktar the bloodmage (tier 2 inv) and 2 inv are used to open a portal to 4.

Solyom Leviatan (lvl3 inv) and the Shaman's bells (+1 inv item) open a portal to the Heart of the Hedge, the Nexus of Invocation.

skipping on Crow's ability again this time around, no intention of attacking Hemminghock.

2 Eco to getting the bloodmage next turn.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2023-02-04 at 08:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

GARDENERS OF THE IMMORTAL FLESH

INHUMAN – SPIRITUAL - HEROIC

The city Lives!

Life fills it, sustains it, gnaws and writhes and burrows through it. Provides its masses with an endless banquet of blood and ambrosia, nectar and milk.

The errors of nature are corrected, the cruelties of scarcity and want abolished.

The gods dwell in their heavens, looking down with hatred and contempt on their once-favoured city, soaked with the blood of priests and stained with the ash of burning idols.

But what need have you of distant and uncaring gods? Can you not feel the glorious new world that has begun to dawn?

Do you not know the wonders of the new age, that have made the lepers hale and the cripples whole, that have filled every mouth and healed ever wound?

Do you not feel you heart beat in sync with the thousand thousand others that call this city home?

Do you not see how the sky is nothing but an eggshell, the heat and weight of transcendence pressing down upon it?

The gods of crowns and thrones and palaces, of slavery and butchery and the myriad miseries of empire, have claimed for themselves and their pets all that is glorious in the world. But there was Life before them, and no matter how it is butchered and broken and changed, the essence of Life can never truly die.

The next ruler of Ardakand will be honoured with a different sort of anointment, and pay homage to different cults.

-Cousin Hylah, speech given to a crowd outside the Artefactory

------------------------------------------

Cults of the Flesh

In the Red District there is a greenhouse which towers over every architect’s manse, its shimmer glass standing apart from the flesh and wood and bone which so dominates the rest of the Ward’s architecture. Within is a tree, barely six months distant from a seed and older than all the fallen earth. Its roots run through the Hedge and deep into the Shadows, and every month six priests in robes of verdant green mix the ashes of burned reports and confessions into the soil around its ruins, and whisper secrets into the impossible wind that whistles through its leaves

Throughout the Gardener’s territory are small shrines to the damned and forgotten, the dead left to rot on battlefields or discarded without ceremony or honours. They are shrines to scavengers and corpse-eaters, to maggots and coyotes and crows. At the centre of each is an idol of a bestial figure, a closed coffin slung over its back. But below the idol is a pool, home to a long and pallid eel – one of the Alabaster Mercies which run rampant through the city’s canals, stealing away the broken from death. Can divinity be divided, rended by hungry peaks and filled with maggot’s eggs, pulled from the next world into this one? The Psycopomp is honoured, as is his due, but it is the carmine-snouted pup curled at the statue’s base that the Gardener’s consider holier.

There is no want in the Coralward, no lack of food or drink, of medicine or cloth. And what surer proof of that is there than the vermin? Rats and doves in the thousands, eating all they desire from the buffet the city has transformed into. The pests are healthier than most humans might have been before the war, and stranger – their eyes glowing with aurum light, their fur rippling with muscles and organs foreign to any anatomist’s textbook. The Gardeners leave offerings to them each new moon, needless as they might be – white bread and spiced meat and strong wine, laid on great clay dishes in every plaza just before dawn. It is their father that consumes them, tasting with all ten thousand mouths, leaving honoured and satisfied his children are in good hands, as their Life becomes his.

In the canals between the Guild- and Coral-wards great algael serpents float on the tide – thick enough that one can walk across them like a bridge, if they happen to be in an obliging mood. Tendrils of a great primordial, their touch leaves fringes of kudzu and mint sprouting on every bank. Artisans and architects plant groves of the same as they begin each new project, find some way to incorproate the wood or leaves into whatever they produce.. Already two Gardeners have been more thoroughly touched by the primordial of endless growth, idols of a joyous union with flowers blossoming from their eyes and bamboo and honeysuckle taking root in every footprint.

The temple of Arisuva is not yet complete, and yet still a sight to behold. The structure itself is hidden by a facade of roses and cherry blossoms, each flower replaced by a new bloom as soon as it begins to wilt and falls to the temple floor. The Moon’s Daughter is honoured as a lady of peace and harmony, simulacra of living wood budding and blossoming with a thousand different flowers as they act out dramas of love and understanding being found across impossible divides, of armies casting down their weapons and embracing their foes, and the creation of unions greater than the sum of their parts. The newly established priesthood is already eagerly planning a truly monumental festival on the occasion of the next eclipse.

MORALE 8

Spoiler: Hemminghock Family Company
    Show

Madame Hemminghock,

Two issues to discuss, one immediate, one more long term.

Firstly – whatever the politics of it, the flow of resources across the city helps us both, does it not? The infrastructure provided to you last month certainly seems to have doen its job, and the payment was appreciated in turn – and I’m sure you made as much use of the surplus value created by the exchange as we.

So, would you be interested in something similar in the reversed direction? [Permanent Mor] to fortify Coral- and Guild-wards against any unfriendly visits from the city’s other powers, in exchange for anything you might desire.

Secondly – a proposal for the future. My patrons and collegues are perhaps somewhat overoptimistic when considering how easily they might find converts in areas not in the middle of apocalyptic warfare and famine, but their gifts are undeniably impressive. Would I be wrong in thinking that, given a monopoly on the trade, your company might be interested in making a prophet exporting the grafts and medicine beyond the walls of Ardakand?

-The Dominus Fabricator

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamps
    Show

Friend Leviathan!

Is not surprising that your soldiers fear what they do not understand, but there is no need for it. The Immortal Flesh is not single organism, but jungle and everything within it, from great tree to jaguar to mosquito. The Heart beats for city and for all life within, but your passions are all still your own.

But for future; what do you wish? Gudites have embraced our gifts more openly than any other group in city – write your name across history? Remake empire under a new dynasty? Whatever you wish, can probably work something out, no? So long as peace is brought to city, and Life flourishes unfettered.

Spoiler: Midturn [GM Only
    Show
    ]

1 Art, 1 Esp for Pact of the Mothergreen
    1 Mor, 1 Eco for Pact of the Scrounger
    1 Mor 1 Eco for Pact of the Verminfather
    Kudzu Wildgrowth’s Blessing paid for at EOT
    2 Art for Pact of the Moondaughter (gaining +1 VP)

Sending Cousin Rao (tier 3 Mil) 7 Mil and 17 Mil from Alabaster Mercy through the Trade Gate – a swarm and a horde and an army flow through the gate and into this distant province. Six-legged and many-eyed vermin the size of cats and great floral behemoths with tendrils of bone-crushing thorns and once-human acolytes more fearsome and terrible than either, bringing the weight and essence of a Living world with them. (30 value total)

It’s not an invasion, but it’s not not an invasion either. Establish contact with and provide any necessary support to the Heron. Secure the grandest treasures. Ward off or put down any other competition.

And, in the worst case scenario, have a very clear refuge to retreat to..

Open the Scrounger's Coffin.

Instantly spend the Verminfather’s Blessing on every faction see see if they have any stats banked to attack me.

Spending 20 artifice to increase the cost of creating a portal to the root of all violence by 10 art/inv

Spending 1 Inv to make a portal 54-62, because might as well get some use out of that bit of the Mothergreen’s blessing, right?
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2023-02-04 at 09:15 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards
    Morale 11

Spoiler: Midturn do not open
    Show

Pay for Nuska, 1 art and 1 eco

Show

14. - Top - End - #464

PaladinGuy

Legio Cerberus
    Morale 20

Midturn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Muster for the Imperial Palace Publicly

Portal from 30 to 54 for 4 influence

Legate Orbei to pay tribute to The Stormweaver
    Storms on Tarbent, Merchants Ilse, Shield Isle

15. - Top - End - #465

Midturn 5

The armies of Ardakand have, it seems, discarded most pretense at subtlety. The fewer survivors, the closer the knife-fight between them. Hemminghock and the Legion muster to take the Imperial palace, for such a symbol of authority can not be left unconquered. Unnatural stormclouds once again muster over Tarbent, Merchant's Isle and Shield Isle. A powerful magical explosion rocks the University ward, as in the Laboratory district, a rift appears in the sky, glowing blinding white and deep blue. Unnatural cold spreads out from there, freezing the canals and painting windows with rime. It grows worse by the day, forcing anyone not wrapped in many layers of clothing to stay inside, killing bushes and trees. Birds and small mammals, unable to flee in time, litter the streets, frozen solid.

Breath of Winter: a great magical rift has opened in the Laboratory district, University ward. (territory 51), spilling the essence of the coming winter. This affects everyone with territory in that ward, namely the Gardeners, Clan Fuxi and the Gudite Warcamps. All stat investments for these factions are 1 point more expensive this turn. All attacks made into the university ward suffer one additional point of attrition this turn. These effects last until the rift is closed.
    Note: most of you should have already seen this, but the entire city is now undermined by weird, white roots, which have spread to every district. No one knows yet what they do, but they can be removed from any district by an investment of 2 stat points.

Hemminghock: [15]

Spoiler
    Show

The spirit world is a churning maelstrom. Darkness, ancient and absolute reigns everywhere, and there is rage, a desire for vengeance, purer and hotter than that of the Shaitan, stifling the air. Great black wyrms coil through the dark, ready to drown or devour any trespassers. Even as they take their first steps, the first Hemminghock invokers are dragged into needle-lined, black maws, never to be found again. There is almost blind panic, until the Wanderer finds the thiniest thread of a different realty in the air, a spark, like a flame, which the veil-knife pushes open, allowing them to flee through, into a meadow.

As the expedition watches, saplings burst from the soil, grow to fields, bushes, then forests, that grow dense and humid, before the trees begin to choke each other, then wither and dry out. Through the dying vegetation walks a colossal beast, made of flames, part stag, part bull, part horse. Where it walks, flames of fire consume the dying vegetation, leaving choking, white ash. But in its footsteps, amidst the flames, new saplings emerge, and the cycle changes again.

It watches the expedition, for a time that feels like days. Then, it speaks.
    “My work in Ardakand is almost done. The squabbling princes, the Shaitan, and the Carneval, my allies, have torn down the Mandate and destroyed Imperium. A rotten empire, burned and scattered, ready to rise anew from the ashes. You are the first of those who would rebuild, when the fire has passed, and as such, I would give you my blessing. ”

Offering: the God of Wildfire demands 1 t.morale and 1 t.eco every turn. An eternal fire must be lit in its name, and brought out into the city, constantly moving, as a torch relay, or a wagon, as long as it is sufficiently grand.

Blessing: At midturn you may convert up to 1 point of permanent stats to temporary stats every midturn, at a rate of 1:5 of the same stat. Additionally, whenever you destroy enemy stat points, you gain 1 temporary stat point of the same kind the next turn per three enemy stat points destroyed.

You find 3 t.art, 1 t.eco and 2 bonus XP which you can give to either of the two participating VIPs. Lose 3 Inv to the serpents. The wanderer is injured.

Clan Fuxi [16]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The heart produces 1 mil and 1 eco.

The spirit world is churning madness. An ancient and absolute darkness fills it, and in that darkness lurk great, black wyrms, the spawn of the mother of the deep. They gnash and snap with needle-sharp teeth, but their eyes are white and blind and the two ladies of Fuxi, themselves serpentborn, wind their way between their gaping maws. The landscape they fall into is scarcely more pleasant: an ashen wasteland, under a blood-red moon. From the ash grow metal structures, like twisted trees, but made entirely of rusty, bloody blades and points, crudely welded together. A path is visibile in the ash, the blades barely high enough to crouch under.
    At the end of the tunnel, smeared with ash and rust and soot, the ladies emerge into a clearing. At its center is the essence of this place: a gaping hole in the ground, furnace hot and glowing and emerging from it, slowly, as if pushed against great resistance, are blade after blade, already pitted and rusted, but still sharp.
    As Tamachi and Borte make their way back, a strange force bars their way. It isn't the Hedgekeeper, or another invoker, barring their way, but something older, more primal. Straining together, they push against it, until, with a ripping sound, the elemental energy breaks through into the material world, dropping them back into their bodies but, with a howl of triumph, emerging after them.

Find 3 t.art, 2 t.mil. Find the Forest of Blades, a military nexus.

A rift to the essence of the deepest winter opens in territory 51. It may be closed with an investment of 5 t.inv or t.art.

Gudite Warcamp [22]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portal to 4 and the Nexus of Invocation opened.

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portal to 64 opened.

The Hippo and the Heron are nowhere to be found. In the end, it seems that when a leviathan-blooded, reincarnate warrior-hero and Ardakand's greatest mage want to go somewhere, they can not be stopped and need not wait for supplies, and there are not even footprints leading out into the desert.
    There is, however, a gift, just through the portal: a small contraption, smaller than a man's head, of many interlocking gears and dials. It is reminiscent of a compass, but instead of west or east, the needles and dials are labelled as "bad memories", "old age", "autumn", "ingratitude", "wit" and other such abstract concepts.
    A note on it reads: "A gift for those who have not betrayed us. May it lead you to find what you seek and keep you save from the vengeance I have left behind. -M"

Minoo gifts you the Otherworld compass: this artefact allows you to navigate the chaotic energies of the spirit world much more easily. When exploring, you may name a stat. It will be considerably more likely that you find that stat instead of others. Additionally, the compass warns you of danger, preventing the first damage any expedition would suffer.

The city is gigantic, that much soon becomes obvious as the squirming horde of the flesh spreads into it. There are miles of tunnels, thousands of fallen buildings, burried in the sand. And the land is hostile, even to the endless reserves of the flesh. But whoever once lived here must have been incredibly wealthy, once, as the scurrying vermin begin to carry back a small mountain of treasure. The greatest find, however, comes when the scouts find a door in the deepest cellars, far below the desert sands, that is warded by sixteen different layers of wards. It takes a full week to open them all and the highest care is required, as if handled carelessly, they would unleash angry spirits and destructive magics.
    Finally, as the door falls, cousin Rao steps through into a cool cavern, stretching away into the shadows. Even just the visible part must be as large as the imperial throneroom. And it is filled with bookshelves. Dozens of them. Hundreds.

Find 4 t.mil, 1 t.art, 2 t.mor, 1 t. esp, 4 t.eco, 3 t.inv.

Find the accounts of the Legio Nihilus. Legion zero was a secret institution of inquisitors and assassins under the earliest khan-emperors, tasked with investigating the various cults of Ardakand and find out who of them still harbored treachery. Their history is dark and bloody, fighting the Spider, Iossau, the Shadow, three near-emergences of the Ghostwise terror, assassins, cultists and necromancers out to destroy the empire for centuries. It was only when an enemy at court destroyed their trade gate that they were permanently stranded in the desert with no way out. You gain a bonus on your espionage actions equal to the number of divine pacts the target has.

Every midturn, choose one faction. By consulting the accounts, you may interpret their behaviour and symbols to find out what gods they have pacted with. This gives you all information on up to three of your pacts.

A Tarnished Coin: you almost didn't notice this apparently harmless silver coin among the treasures carried back into the city, for its enchantments are incredibly subtle. Only when the coin is flipped does it become apparent: flipping it and then flipping it again does not return the original face, for this coin has three different sides. One shows the head of the first emperor, one shows two crossed daggers and one is blank entirely. It carries strange, shadowy magic that change perception, luck and probability.

The holder of the coin may hide one action per turn for free. Additionally, you may use espionage instead of morale to increase your passive defence, weaving illusions and traps that confuse and hinder attackers.

You have found all the secrets of the desert city, it can not be explored any further.

Golden Guards [11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Done.

Legio Cerberus [20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portal from 30 to 54 opened.

A huddle of frightened refugees arrives at your doors, carrying their wounded between them. They are palace officials and lesser princes, those who were loyal to the Hippo to the end. Among them, carried on a shrouded litter, but still clearly in charge is Enkthuya, the Dowager Empress. On her lap she carries a large bundle. Though her wizened hands carefully grip the heavy sailcloth, red and golden light still spills through the cracks.
    "Hormoz said you would take us in. He said to give you this, because you never betrayed him, like everyone else has."

Gain the Auriflame. Gain +2 p.Esp, +5 p.Art
    The flaming banner of the first Khan, bearing the charges of the golden sun and hawk on a dusk-red sky. Long thought lost and destroyed, it inspires your troops immensely. While controlling the Auriflame, you may add Morale to a territorial invasion, up to an amount equal to your military.
    Additionally, your leadership is so unshakeable that if your morale would take damage from any source, you negate the first three points of damage to morale you would take.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 8

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamps
    Show

Friend Leviathan,

Aside from great glorious future partnership, will be blunt – your gods still are watning war and conquest, yes?

What is your opinion of old imperial legions? I ask, because they have opened portal to heart of Bloom, so if you are looking for someone to invade my cousins are perhaps interested in helping against them in specific.

Spoiler: Legio Cerberus
    Show

Hail, Legate

I won’t waste words – you have torn a portal into my patron’s territory, into the heart of the Bloom itself. They would like to know why – they would much prefer peace and trade to war and ruin, if there is some specific goal you are hoping to achieve?

Sincerely,
    The Dominus Fabricator, Legate Emeritus

Show

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Rep: Martial, Spiritual, Barbarian

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi of The White Snake
    Show
    A new mandate it is then, we may be able to convince the Gardeners to fund a part of it under the call of war against the Legions.

It seems they are making our moves for us if the Gardeners are to be believed.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh
    Show
    Greetings cousins,

Is... varied what we want, I suppose a new empire would be good enough for the lot of my kin, and I can certainly work with it. What you say is reassuring.

We are no fans of the Legions. Do you intend to activate our compact then and support a war? how much can you spare, given that you seem to be the main target?

Spoiler: Golden Guards
    Show
    We'll stay in touch then, is it the same price as usual for your packages?
    Last edited by neriractor; 2023-02-08 at 11:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468

Public Announcement

Hemminghock is laying claim to the Palace Ward and the last point of Allotments. The tower in the bottled City isn't to be touched, as it is the last Monument to the Witch Doctors and will be preserved as part of Ardakand's history.

Spoiler: To the Gardeners: MOR 26
    Show

Howdy, gotta say, keeping everyone monumentally full during the siege did work wonders. Those damned Golems didn't do **** to us. Wouldn'ta lost anything if I weren't a greedy Bitch but hey, Daddy always said he fancied those qualities.

If ya be so inclined I can attempt to return the entire shipment ya sent us. We'd just need to negotiate terms with the Golden Guard to swing that much. How about we start with 6 MOR for 6 ECO and see where it goes from there?

Spoiler: To the Gudites; MOR 26
    Show

Howdy, thanks for yer help last month, certainly kept spirits high to have some Gudite shields on our walls as the Golden Guard kept trying to mash em down.

Part of me wants to know how much that little stunt cost them, can't have been pretty for em, economically at least.

If you're so inclined, our trade ports are open as ever. Just managed to get our hands on a shiny Artifact as well, the Veil Knife. Should keep anyone trying to Delve nice and safe.

Let us know how you're feeling neighbors.

On terms of balance... you ain't wrong, but ya gotta count to ten paces before ya draw. As of right now still at war with the GGs so we're a touch occupied.

Spoiler: To the Golden Guard: MOR 26
    Show

Well Howdy! What a roundup. We lost some chunks out in the open and god damn we're still sweepin literal gold off our streets.

Between gunpowder and gold, this battle was nothing if not extravagant.

Considerin' we're two attempts at taking Territory each at the moment, and the original cause for the war as even offered us a gift, how's about we call it a draw? I think we can both be pretty confident that neither of us are gonna manage to keel the other over before the Gods choose their prize.

Admittedly this is a big part because you were our biggest account holder, and I miss counting gold you intentionally left on our doorstep instead of the stuff we gotta shoot apart.

Lemme know,

Cecelia

Spoiler: To the Legio-Cerberus: MOR 26
    Show

Now now, is now the time to ride? I've always been a fan of wielding the sword of Vengeance.

Considering we invested in an Alliance, we can certainly swing somethin' massive with all this iron and black powder.

Alternatively, we simply split our parts of the Heron and Hippo's territory this month, rally their men, and draw new month at High Noon.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Essentially, this turn? Or wait to unleash hell.

Spoiler: To the Fuxi: MOR 26
    Show

Now you can call me a lair but I heard there were a lot of Snakes fiddlin' around in the Palace. I believe by my defensive pact, that would mean that we're at war.

Now, of course, everyone knows that you can't trade with someone you're at War with, so considerin' that...how do you feel about opening up trade ports? For peace's sake.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 8

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamp
    Show

Have prepared a trick to strike back if we are hit, and prepared own defences. Will be fighting alongside you, but cannot provide soldiers for fighting under your command.

But a little secret that might be helpful – you have seen storms raging for last months, yes? They are caused by Legionary god. Maybe helpful for your planning?

Spoiler: Blessing of Teshera Stormweaver
    Show

Once per midturn, when you prepare an invasion, either by preparing an army to march, or by opening a portal, you gain 1 infiltration point against one of the factions about to be invaded, as Theshera lifts the fog of war and allows you to prepare.
    Theshera also rewards careful preparation and strategy: when launching a stat attack or invasion, you gain a bonus on those actions equal to the number of infiltration points spent against that enemy the turn before or gained this midturn.
    Additionally, every midturn, you may declare up to three districts you control as being under the influence of Theshera’s storms. These storms will be made public at midturn as roiling clouds, though it will not be announced what these do. You may declare any number of enemies. If those enemies engage in a stat attack or invasion that passes through or ends in one of the designated territories, they immediately (before the action is resolved) suffer 2 random stat points of attrition from the stats invested. Anyone not designated an enemy is spared.

But yes, would activate compact. Would expand it, even.

Will be blunt – city has bled and suffered enough, no? You Gudites and Harpy merchants have accepted the Gardens gifts, and so my cousins like and trust the both of you. Together, we can end chaos in a moon, let glory and mercy flow spread through world and remake all of city into grand wonder it could be. Together, rest of city would have no choice but to accept terms.

What do you say?

Spoiler: Hemminghock
    Show

We’d made it 10, if you have the capacity, but [6 p. Morale for 6 p. Eco] is an excellent start. Though your own products would be preferable – barricades and aerial spotters and mechanical fire extinguishers, and so on.

But beyond that, I have an offer. Yourselves and the Gudites have been mow enthusiastic about accepting my patrons’ gifts than any other faction in the city. Together, we also represent enough power to bring the chaos in the city to a swift and definitive end, should we align. Surely the city would be more profitable for your family at peace and with you holding a monopoly over international trade then spending even longer tearing itself apart?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards

Show

Usual cost yes, except if you supply your own controllers. In that case we are willing to go one for one as it frees up what we need anyways.

Also noting, per Witch Doctor and Hemminghock agreement that dead Witch Doctors have no rights, as long as Clan Fuxi or their representative in this case you agrees, aggressive action against the Witch Doctors last turn will not be counted for Eye for an Eye doctrine and will deem there to be peace with Clan Fuxi.

Show

The legalities of it are unclear. Witch Doctors are dead and so we are not bound to protect them as long as all three of us and Clan Fuxi agree but you did attack us beyond just defending last month which does mean according to our word, which as you requested we gave to everyone at your request, we are still at war.

Usually, we would just both annul it but I don't think we can get the entire city to agree to annul that spoken contract.

That being said, seeing it is between us and we have seen what comes we don't particularly wish to fight. We are willing to go down to token skirmishes to continue keeping our word and reopening of trade.

In the case trade interests you, we are currently only accepting artifice though we are offering a deal where if you supply your own controllers, we will go 1 for 1 on the artifice to provided invasion power.

Show

To be clear, as they gave their word, they would still be doing the bare minimum aggressive action as defined by their God. That being said they will be open to trade and won't go beyond that and (not that it really matters as the game is almost over) if no aggressive action is taken they will go to peace as outlined previously next turn.

Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Spoiler: Golden guards
    Show
    Greetings,

It seems like we won't be able to afford them either way due to a priority shift.

Good to know we won't be settling anything between us, and good luck in your conflict.

Gulldr's might,
    Daghir, The Wolf.

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi of the White Snake
    Show
    Greetings snake kin,

We want to make sure you are in favour of the mandate. And invite you to send a small force with us to attack (4), which we intend to take.

We can put [80 stats] towards rushing the mandate, should the pantheon be allowed to lead the proceedings, though the matter remains if we should unveil right away, or wait until a more opportune moment*.

Show
    *Which is to say, over invest in later turns.

Show
    Greetings sisters,

Glad to hear they did well for you.

If you intend to take up the offensive and can spare the previous deal [3 P. mor] we could send in some muscle, just make sure they aren't top and center, I don't know how Golden Guard targetting goes, but we're about to pick up further fights and we'll rather it doesn't go this way.

A good day,
    Delilah Fairway.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the the immortal flesh
    Show
    Greetings cousins,

I suppose such is to be expected when you are the prime target of their aggression, we will honour what is on the table, though the offensive may be limited by the possibility of a Golden Guard reprisal for the Fuxi stunt. Your information will be invaluable for it.

Let us know what the sisters say, we are all for peace, but Gulldr grasps upon the Gudite heart, it has to be a winner's peace.

Ase's longing,
    Solyom, Leviatan.

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus
    Show
    Esteemed legates,

We note portals and note silence, It is on the battlefield where we decide this matter then.

Gulldr's Warmth,
    Daghir, The Wolf.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2023-02-10 at 10:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guard
    Morale 11

Show

Per our word, we are required to continue fighting Hemminghock. We are hoping for the agreement to reduce god accepted skirmishes. In which case we will be able to use most of our forces on a second target. Particularly if there is others there capable of controlling golems.

Show

23. - Top - End - #473

Spoiler: To the Golden Guard: MOR 26
    Show

Ah well, shucks. See ya out there then I suppose. Nothin to be done about it. Long as we're at war we can't exactly be tradin'.

OOC: That's a rule in the game, you can't trade during war so womp.

Spoiler: To the Gardeners: MOR 26
    Show

6 will have to be it, we always appreciate the business.

As for the other offer, it's interesting but making a pact with the Gudites are the moment might be against our best interests until we discover what happened to Heron and Hippo If they were involved I don't believe we can, in good conscience, try to make an alliance with them shortly after.

Working on a shipment plan for your items? That we can speak more about, colour us in as interested.

Spoiler: To the Gudites; MOR 26
    Show

3 P mor for 3 P mil. Consider it done unless you happen to want more of anything, coffers are always open for a friend.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Mor 17

Spoiler: Public
    Show
    The great Clan will uphold the will of the Witch Doctors. We will enforce the survival of their tower and their ways. Fuxi will not hunt their gods and the descendants will not hunt the survivors. Faith extended will be returned and trust given will be protected.

Let Ardakand remember the ways of the Witch Doctors for evermore.

Show
    Ya the clan is happy with this.

Show
    Greetings,

We are joining you in preparation. We shall make ready to reveal the greatness of the the All Devouring Fuxi to the city and make them see the wonder of our ancestor. We will decline on the attack for now, we have expansions of our own to see to. We will need to prepare for the coming storm.

Regards,

Show
    Greetings Merchant Folk,

We are happy to keep trade lanes open but are not in need of anything at this juncture. We would be happy to make a single thing trade as a gesture if you wish? Possibly a few informants in return for some clansmen spirit soldiers?

25. - Top - End - #475

Spoiler: To Clan Fuxi: MOR 26
    Show

We agree with this. Happy doin' business. Talk again next month.

26. - Top - End - #476

Turn 11: Vengeance

As the cold of winter falls on the city, the last vestige of the old imperial order falls with it. The heroic legions, as far as anyone knew the last two remaining in the world, saw themselves under three-pronged assault.

At the Lion's Teeth, finally, it will be decided for good, Legion and Warcamp, imperials and barbarians. In the air, the last great eagles of the Aquila tear through the Gudite air forces, great serpents made of wine an air bladders, each carrying dozens of long-gunners. But on the ground, things are different. The Claws, the world's mightiest bulwark, were not built to protect against an assault from the city, but to protect the city from an assault. As the hounds and legionaires draw up their lines to prepare for the coming assault, awaiting the enemy, the ground quakes beneath their feet. The Gudites are not coming over land, or through portals. They are rising from beneath, all around them. They have the imperial geomancers, and their own, the Ar-Rashada, Qawha Yuraq who speaks for the land and the stone, the blessings of the Eldest Earth and Gulldr Stone-breaker. The Earth itself flows and buckles and breaks and swallows up the legions, pushes explosives high up into the fortress walls. They burst, ear-shattering, boulders the size of houses torn free from the titanic walls.

From the ground emerges the Gudite's newest weapons. The Sartian Behemoths, cannons like none ever seen before, burning runes on their brazen barrels, mouths wider than a man's arm, they hurl their charges from half a district away, tearing formations and fortifications apart like butter.

Then, the assault begins for real. Daghir and the Black Lion of Suroch and the Knight Belligerent, each leading their own battalions march upon the Legion. What follows is unimaginable slaughter though the Legion stands, longer than any would think possible, under their banner: a stream of golden flame, bearing the hawk and the noonday sun, the Auriflame, the last Khan's banner. They fight, for days, for the empire, for peace against the warlords, for the legion's glory, for their families, stranded in a city that turns stranger by the day. And when they lose and have to reatreat from the bulkwark, they have given as good as they have taken.

They might have recovered from this, if there wasn't more to come. As their soldiers are fighting at the Lion's Teeth, a different threat arises in the inner city. An army of the dead, all the unquiet spirits of these bloody autumn months, emerges from the spirit world. There was an expectation that there would be unquiet ghosts, with the death of the judge of souls, but none had expected so many and so directed. They swept through the inner city like a wave of blue-white fire, tearing apart anything that bore a legion symbol and all their supporters, their quartermasters, their shamans, anyone not away fighting.

And then the third blow. Really, it must have fallen weeks ago, but none noticed. The legion's remaining steadfast errupted into glowing patterns, which burst through their skins, revealing the corruption that long ago had taken hold of their bones, where pale white threads were winding around their arteries and nerves. And as they lay, die and screaming and spreading spores from their open skin, their own servants strangled them. Serving girls poisoning the stew and ale served to the soldiers who have been regulars for months. Latrine diggers clubbing their sergeants to death with shovels. Officers found butchered in their beds. And on each of them, the symbol of a spider. Sinchi Goldenstar, the radiant king, spymaster of the Gardeners, had his revenge, the Empire gone from his city.

So fell the Legion in Ardakand, so was the empire extinguished. But the legates, Nekhii, Kara, Olgei. They knew they were beaten an d they had the hounds and the eagles, the fastest army on the continent, and they could march and ride and fly day and knight, while the fire of the Auriflame still filled them. They are still somewhere out there, the peasants whisper, ready to restore the empire.

And so, five contenders for the throne remain.

Guldr's Chosen

They have the army, they have the gods, they have the patronage of the Eye of Guldr. The steam-maker's own have never lost a battle and under Daghir and the Leviathan's command, they have marched from conquest to conquest. Already, some are calling them a new dynasty, no longer barbarian warlords, but rulers under a new god, if one crueller than the Empire is used to.
    And they have staked their claim not only on the city, but on the spirit world itself. Though it still teems with black serpents, great fires begin to burn, as the new patrons of the city prepare their claim. A new Mandate, in Guldr's name, forged by his brazen fist and flaming wrath, a mandate of the strong, not in the name of some distant, impersonal sky speaking fate, but a divine warlord-king, made of the Earth and ruling it.

A gudite wonder is near to completion.

It began with thunder, out of a blue sky, far away, out over the sea. The sea was falling, a low tide at first, then a neaptide, then exposing a stinking expanse of black mud, slick, white roots and gasping eels, as far as anyone could see. It stayed like that for an hour, draining away from the Marble ward.
    Then came the rumbling, a thunder, vibrating in the rocks of Ardakand and the bones of those who still watched from the rooftops of the mansions. An Earthquake, that lasted and lasted and would not go away, that cracked walls and floors and tumbled boulders into the sea.
    And then the water returned. It was like a wall, higher than the city’s tallest tower, charging at the Marble Ward with all the unstoppable momentum of a charging hippo. It smashed into the district like the Skyhammer reborn, tearing trees and buildings out of their foundations, rushing inland for hundreds of feet, before flowing back out to sea, destroying all in its path, before flowing back and leaving only a desert in its wake.
    An then… it came again. The waves were pulled back out, but instead of flattening out, the ocean rose up again, even higher. Some say they saw black serpents in the water, with glowing eyes and needle teeth, weaving the currents. Twelve times the waves smashed into the land, bursting open the rock itself. Half the marble ward is no more, now, merely a field of jagged cliffs where once there were mansions.
    They should perhaps not, in retrospect, have ruined the life of the greatest wizard Ardakand has seen in an age.

The Grand Family

The Hemminghock Family had come here to conquer the city in their own way: with money. And though their army has grown as large as anyone's in the city, they are offering something that few others could offer: normalcy. Sure, they are beastmen, but they do not demand the worship of foreign gods, the melding of the flesh or to become a cog in a grand golden machine. Instead, they offer jobs, salaries, housing, safety. And a future that is ambitious but still pleasantly normal: a grand, commercial enterprise. They are constructing a grand railway, a steam-powered train that would reach out, far into the western steps, thousands of miles beyond the reach of any previous emperor, connecting Ardakand to rich, new markets beyond the Mandate Wars.

A Hemminghock miracle is nearing completion

A Golden Future

The Golden Guard is considerably less humble about their vision of the future: there is remarkable little subtle in the towers of chrome that are now literally rising out of the ground. Even the air has taken on a golden sheen, as motes of dust drift from the buildings and through the streets. There is now flowing water from pipes, automated transporation by cargo golem, a thousand luxuries unimaginable even a year before. There is no need for employment here: instead, there is free education. Everyone will be an alchemist, in the golden future. And sure, they had some military pushbacks, lately, but once they win, the future will be all the more glorious.

A Golden Guard Wonder is nearing completion

All is One, All is Love
    The flesh is embracing all, but it not consuming them. It is not a devourer, it is a lover, and as a lover, it brings gifts. Strength. Happiness. Fulfillment. Surcease from all pain and hunger, the healing of all wounds of body and soul. All hearts in the city beat as one, and soon, all minds will join too, into a glorious chorus. It is inside all of you, already. The spores in the The roots that have spread under your feet, your food, the muscle you have grafted to your soldiers, the bone-white marrow that has replaced the canals, the spores in the air you breathe. Soon. Oh so soon, my dearest.

The circling serpent

The tale of the great Fuxi spreads through the city. An epic poem of many stanzas, from its birth as an egg to it rise to god and protector of the city. It isn't just told: instead, fist-sized crystals are handed out to any who will take it, and sometimes forcefully to those who don't. They resonate with an empathy enchantment, that makes those who hold them live the life of Fuxi first hand. But they have even greater things planned: as the last day of the month dawns, not only the sun rises. Encircling the sun is a vision of the great Fuxi, basking in the warm dawnlight and all who see her come to feel her triumph and her glory.

A Clan Fuxi wonder is nearing completion

Those not under any protection now are nervous and worried. The inner city is in chaos, as militias are formed, or desparate deals made and treasures horded. They have all seen how conquests happen in this city, under its new patronage of bloodthirsty gods.
    All annexations of neutral districts with stats other than military cost 1 less. All annexations made with military are 1 point more expensive, but the conqueror gains an additional, random permanent stat point for each conquest.

Favour of the Gods:
    Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh: 51
    Gudite Warcamp: 30
    Hemminghock: 26
    Clan Fuxi: 23
    Golden Guard: 6
    Last edited by Eldan; 2023-02-21 at 01:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guards
    Morale 11

After looking through his condition, Chemosh smiles and puts on his mask. Walking the golden streets he tilts his head watching some tan children play with Grand Repairman happily as it walks around the Golden City. It was beautiful, a golden halo of dust around them showing the intersection of joy and creation.

He continued on, schedules had to be kept after all. Om either side he passed by the halls being repurposed to education centers. It would pay in the future, the value of an educated workforce not to be under estimated but only if it was completed in time. They would all have to be educated enough and truly create if they wished to not be cast aside. This was not the final destination thougu and there was still a schedule so he move on.

In the distance stood the final destination. A decorated temple featuring many golems each with a hundred hands. The ornate doors opened as he approached, the alchemists hard at work in various bays in the temple. In the very center of the temple sits a single vial filled with a golden liquid, a knife and cube of gold. 44 minutes of practice later and Chemosh continues on. Behind him, dozens of new golden sculptures, a dull knife and dozens of empty vials. Golems already moving to the sharpen the knife and replace the items in the center.

Show

Good day!

With the break down of all representation of law in the city there is a lot of concern and strife. Soon a new city will rise and so we offer a deal.

Half price if you supply your own controller for our golems.

We only accept artifice for this deal. If we have to supply a controller standard extra cost in artifice for the artificer controller.

1 for 1 as usual for anything else but we will only be supplying controllers if people can pay an equal artifice to what the controllers can do.

Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

MORALE 20

Show

Friends! We are all friends now, yes? Give flesh for flesh, food for food, coin for coin, all grows together grows greater for it.

Deals are simple, and open to everyone. [3 Eco] for [1 p. Morale or Invocation], or [2 Eco or 4 of the stat] for [1 p. Mil, Esp, or Artifice].

City has burned enough, is time to grow from ashes.

-Cousin Arsat

Show

Friend Leviathan,

I am curious as to ritual you are completing – is grand working, yes? (my Cousin Hylah is also worried, that weight of your new god and snakes new good and our heart will pop veil like egg and tear city into shadows, but I do not think that is very likely?)

Is not too important, I am supposing. But can offer deal, if you need it – exchange of resources [1 p. Stat for any 1 other p. Stat], in addition to normal rates.

Now, about future of world. Harpies do not like you, am sad to say. Blame you for killing their friends, also don’t trust you. Will not take alliance to take city without blood.

-Cousin Arsat

Show

Madame Hemminghock,

As always, your products this last month were of exemplary quality. If you are in the market for any similar exchanges [i.e. transfer of permanent stats at a 1:1 rate] my patrons would be happy to oblige, at almost any conceivable scale.

Now, as to proper diplomacy – have your investigations into the fate of the Heron and Hippo uncovered any definitive blame? It does seem that a judgment has been placed on the Gudites by some higher power.

In which case, I will be blunt – what sort of future do you envision for Ardakand, and the world? My patrons could sing a song of their utopia, if you like, but if you would accept an alliance but only on the condition of casting aside our other greatest friend, I’m curious how you would sell them on your desired end is preferable.

Or on how your company will crush them like bugs and render the whole issue moot, I suppose.

Sincerely,
    -The Dominus Fabricator, one-time Legate of the Legio Minotaurus

Spoiler: Golden Guard
    Show

I’m afraid you’ll need to point me toward the correct reference material – what are the requirements for controllers exactly? And to be clear, if we do it would be [1 art for 2 mil]?

If it’s not a trade secret, I’m also intensely curious as to what the precise nature of your grand design is. Barring a true cataclysm, we’ll both be working in this fair city for the forseeable future, after all. I’m curious how you intend to change it.

-The Dominus Fabricator, one-time Legate of the Legio Minotaurus

Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guard

Locus PM Do not read

Spoiler: Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh
    Show

It depends on which one you mean. One is something that will unite the city and force them to truly create something great. We believe you in particular will enjoy it with how invested you are in creating. The problem is we need a lot of very specific resources for it, hence why we need so much artifice to finish it in time.

Our wonder...well lets just say it's better a surprise and we need to educate as many crafters as possible for it.

Controllers are any skilled person working with the golems. They need a supervisor, the supervisor will help the golems and the golem will help the supervisor. Golems are valued based off invasion power. If you are looking for more defensive, we can rent out more defensive stats as well.

Show

So each golem needs another VIP with them to work but then they work like regular VIP. So like a tier 1 morale VIP and a tier 2 golem VIP will generate 1 morale and 2 mil (Or 4 mil for the purposes of conflict with others.)

Golems are valued on invasion power so Tier 1 would be .5, so tier 2 would be 2 as they are invasion power 4. They are willing to rent defensive stats as well for a negotiable rate.

Last edited by Hamste; 2023-02-22 at 09:18 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #480
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Golden Guard – PM
    Show

Two great projects? I shall look forward to seeing their results, I suppose. Whoever takes the throne, the city shall at least be glorious and full of wondrous artifice.

But I wonder – do you intend to seize the Mandate yourself?If you’ll excuse my bluntness, no matter how glorious yours works it seems unlikely you will be able to take the city single-handed from their majesty.

OOC: Now, three points

1-is there a limit to how many golems can be directed by a single controller? Or could a single captain direct your entire host, should they all be pointed at the same target?

2-I’m slightly unclear on your explanation, I’m afraid. For rates, are you pricing by military or by invasion strength? (that is, going off the 2:1 rate, in exchange for 2 art would I get 4 tiers of golems, or 2?)

3-Would trade a VIPs be acceptable? E.g. offering a tier 3 Art VIP (worth 7 Art on LTPs) as a value of 7 art
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2023-02-22 at 09:45 PM.
    Show