New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Total War - Mandate of Heaven

Spoiler: To Heron and Hippo - MOR 6
    Show

Pardon our noise! Turns out it took more ammo to put the dead to rest than we figured and next thing you know you're shootin' at 3am.

Not the point of this letter tho.

The point here is that we now only have a bridge separatin' us and that means that the Hemminghock Family Company is open for business for you & yours. Considerin' the relationship between our two parties (arms dealer and mercenary if I might be so bold) we figure it was high time we reached out and touched base when it came to business proposals.

Need your men armed? We're in your corner.

Cecelia Hemminghock -

Spoiler: OOC: Offers
    Show

(Hemminghock Sends: You Send)

Any 1 PERM Stat save MOR : 3 TEMP MIL (Doable once. Second instance would need 5 MIL)

INV 1: 1 of MIL or ART

More offers will be unlocked upon the following conditions being met

Hemminghock has established residency proper in the Courthouse District

Heron and Hippo & Hemminghock relationship moves to > Business Partnership

Spoiler: To the Warcamp and the Witch Doctors: MOR 6
    Show

I'm gonna keep it short because work is busy over here, but Hemminghock would love to be able to sell to you and yours considering we're the premium sellers of military might in the city. We'd just need access to your borders to ensure safe travel, after all, black powder is touchy stuff.

If y'all can agree to allow us into [8] and keep our claim there. We'll open our shops to you and pay you [1 of any but MOR] for your trouble the month after we start setting up shop there.

That's each by the way.

- Tess

Spoiler: To the Bloodsworn: MOR 6
    Show

Look, we don't want you anywhere near our proper factories, but keep a bridge between us at we're happy as a clam to let... whatever humans you have take a look at our open offers.

Spoiler: To the Slayers: MOR 6
    Show

The letter is a proper letter delivered by a flying courier. Clearly Hemminghock isn't cautious about getting seen with the Saints.

We wouldn't be arms dealers if we weren't willing to offer the same deal to both sides. We'd love to offer coin and protection to the Saints but we're a touch far at the moment. Allow us to [30] or [60] so we share a border and we can open up shop. We'll be the first to admit that we might prefer to have your ear to the ground for us...

In fact we're willing to pay for it if we can get close enough for it to be economic.

-Cecelia.

Spoiler: To the Carnival of Chains: MOR 6
    Show

Just a curt reminder about our previous statements regarding the courthouses. Wouldn't wanna end up with blood on the street from a misunderstanding, now would we? Once we have our place in [44] and we share a proper border, we're happy to share our wealth with you regarding some interesting contracts. You can see what we've offered Heron and Hippo as an example.

Thank you kindly for your understanding,

Tess

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Morale: 5
    Rep: Barbarian-Martial-Spiritual

Mood in the Gudite camp was definitely improving as the month went, Challenges were but a show of Gulldr's eye upon you. and when a house fell down in the western shore near the Blackstone due to careless geomantic activity, there was no grief but rejoicing for the lack of wounded.

To the music were joined fireworks, lent by the same geomancers, of curious shapes, that when looked at sideways could read glyphs to mean "swap", "land" and "question", or "feathery rhinoceros", if looked at from the other side.

Spoiler: Hemmighock fammily company, Witch doctors
    Show
    Greetings sisters, we are all for commercial relations, though the other... residents of Khudara may not be so keen, if you could add support, or turning a blind eye, to eventual ambitions near the eye of heaven, we would gladly do some "convincing".

Eirn's luck,
    -Daghir, The wolf.

Spoiler: Legio XXIIX Cerberus
    Show
    We are glad you agree Legate,

We know nothing of the fiends' movement east of Marble's currents.

As foe the west, we are currently in talks with those bordering Khudara, and in "talks" with Shaitan themselves, their movement within the isle itself remain obscure but if all goes well we hope they can be contained to The hive.

Gulldr's heat,
    -Daghir, the wolf.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the immortal Flesh
    Show
    Is no matter cousins, water under bridge, and there are many bridges here,

No one should be harmed, no worries, only Daghir could really chase them should they choose to shun us for the waves, and under Gulldr's fit that moves here there is always Ase's heart for the living.

It seems the Legio is fine with the arrangement too.

Plenty,
    -Solyom, Leviathan

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm definitely pumping the second half, just won't make it public so I don't have to outbid anyone too hard.

Now, I have 3 esp fully free for the first half, if no one else goes public on that one I'll put 7 more so we can finish, but I'm kind of playing Bulwark in Khudara, so if anyone else confirms their help before midturn please tell me so I have the resources to spare for our more permanent crimson crisis.

so, I'm going for 28, right? since you said it was an eco for an art.

NPCs

Spoiler: Legio II Aquila
    Show
    Legate Aurelius,

You did well to call on us, and we shall answer, until plans for this militia and our role within it are made clear, we will do our part in attempting to cull the spread of the Shaitan through Khudara, while not the most important district economically, the city would certainly lose a lot of population if they were to finish their designs there (as far as anything they do can be called that).

Gulldr's might,
    -Daghir Aet Esharain, The Wolf, Redemptionist hierarch of Gulldr.

Spoiler: House Aranea
    Show
    in exquisite claigraphy and noble manner, the letter arrives through a well dressed messenger, if not following imperial etiquette

Blessed followers of the spider,

As the ancesters who look after us must have surely told by now, we intend to invite further parties into the old city. You can veto it with a word however.

We also humbly request aid for dealing with the problems facing the city, specially those from outside, the legions are ineffective, and if this quarter is to be spared the worst to come it may fall to your elder house and Gulldr's flock to do it ourselves.

Of all you have, much more,

Spoiler: The Eye of heaven
    Show
    Daghir comes dressed in the ceremonial clothes of the Gudite fate, doning the least armored variant that is still available to them and walks unimpeded towards the highest official that will not allow her to do so, where she presents a few offerings according to the seasons.

"Long live the mandate, servants of the sky. I come to humbly ask your opinion of Gulldr's flock, and the far more important opinions the sky may have to say on Gulldr's visit."
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Clan Fuxi of the White Snake

Mor 6
    Rep: Spiritual, Otherworldly, Ambitious

The building creaks as the snake slithers over it, not having been built for a two ton creature to be moving over its roof. Tamachi grimaces as her snake nuzzles up to her, the movement disturbing her injured neck. The tongue flickers out, tasting her weakness, and Tamachi just looks down to meet the snakes eyes, slitted eyes meeting slitted eyes. Tamachi's eyes roil with power as her hypnotism dominates the snakes lesser version effortlessly. It settles down and slithers behind her chair.

Tamachi settles down onto her throne, watching the dancing Spirit World laying just beneath the material world. Seeing the garden the clan had just traversed through, it was full of delicate lights. Each light a deceptive spirit ready to lure the unwary into deadly traps and hungry spirits, each light a challenge to be devoured and refined into power.

Time is meaningless to Tamachi as she trains her spirit vision. Eventually however her snake lets a slight shiver run through its body as it tenses up. Tamachi snaps her gaze back to the material world in time to see a proper young noble lady approaching, Lady Chagatai. The newly empowered Fuxi clanswomen from one of the branches that had accompanied her for the bid to the city.

Tamachi gestures to the lesser seat in front of her, "Greetings Lady Chagatai, I am so pleased that you could join me so soon after being gifted power by the Great Progenitor. I hear it can be a trial to the newly gifted to adjust."

The younger women sits in the lesser chair with poise and grace, eyeing the older women with a keen, almost predatory, interest. Much like a snake will eye an injured bird the younger women eyes the pseudo-throne and the injured women on it with a hunger. Tamachi hides her slight smile behind the snap of a fan as she cools herself, it was so easy with the younger clan members. They were controlled by that hunger they all have, that desire for power and drive to push out all competitors. All she had to do was show a little weakness before the younger women and Chagatai was overly focused on the injury and the possibility of supplanting Tamachi as the head of this expedition.

Chagatai leans forward slightly as she nods to Tamachi "The power is new but... strong. I see much, all over the city. No door is locked before me. My enemies... our enemies shall soon be found dead before us ready for me to devour."

Moths start to flutter about the roof of the building, landing on every surface, as Chagatai seems to almost vanish from every sense except for sight as she stands up with smirk. "I even think with some training my winged spies could steal the power from corpses to bring back to me... though I have not tested yet."

Tamachi's snake rumbles deeply within its body before Tamachi gently rests her head on its head, calming it. The young were so predictable, she really shouldn't enjoy this as much as she should but honestly it had been years since she had been playing these games with her kin, struggling for power and disposing of rivals. She had missed it more then she thought.

As Chagatai takes a step closer Tamachi shakes the thoughts out of her head, Chagatai needed to be put in place for now. Some hungry ambition could be a good motivator but she also needed to be controlled. Tamachi raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow at the younger women, laying a delicate hand on the snakes head. "Well they do seem impressive but keep in mind-"

In a moment the moths slowly fluttering closer to Tamachi are snapped out of existence. Camouflaged snakes on the roof, snakes pretending to be rooftop decorations, and snakes coming out of the spirit world where they had been waiting. A series of hungry snaps and the moths on the roof have vanished, leaving a series of slitted glowing eyes surrounding the young women.

Tamachi takes a step down towards the shocked younger women, moving beside her as she trails a long viciously red fingernail along Chagatai's cheek as she whispers in her ear "-snakes a hunters before they are scavengers."

With that she descends from the building, humming to herself slightly as she looks over the glowing city. Snakes were hunters and they were ever hungry.

Spoiler: Public
    Show
    Snakes emerge from all over the city leaving posters with an announcement on them for anyone to see.

"We hear tell of the great Rift forming in the city and we tell the city not to worry! The great invocators, sages, priests, and spirit walkers of the Fuxi Clan shall aid the city, with our experience we shall be sending a variety of forces to combat the rift and aid in the expedition! If anyone wishes to work together in this then please reach out to the Divine Leader Tamachi.

Show
    We plan on taking a large part in this event and while we could do most of it we would still need help so lets coordinate.

Spoiler: Carnival of Chains
    Show
    A meter long serpent slithers through the carnival, depositing their message to the leaders;

"Your information was very distressing to us. We did not realize that the Slayers would be so maniacal as to try and murder their way through the city like this. We are very interested in determining a proper course of action with the other members of your message but we will be fairly occupied this month making safe the rift.

Can we rely on you to keep us in the loop this season? As a motion of trust we will inform you that we have recently acquired an intelligence expert (Tier 2 Esp VIP) that should be key in aiding us in this problem next month."

Spoiler: Gudites
    Show
    Greetings War Band,

We are sorry to hear of the difficulties facing your expansion. We are happy to include the Imperial Forces into our territories, and would also be willing to trade some of our new forces to you if you are interested. We would be amenable for some trading of Eco and Inv but obviously this turn is not good since we need all of our Inv to close the rift in the city. If your interest is in portals to get to new wards unseen we could help you with the creation of them rather then selling you Inv to do it yourself?

I will also say the Clan is concerned with the light shed on the Slayers by the Carnival. We do not wish to be the target of a series of assassinations. What are your thoughts? We also do not wish to be the stalking rabbit for the Carnival to flush out the Slayers.

Spoiler: Gardeners
    Show
    Great Flesh Sculptors!

We shall hopefully soon be connected and able to work together more closely. Do not worry we will not be expanding into Coralward, the... residents are not to our taste in any manner of speaking. Do not worry yourself there, our desire for power has little to do with the physical and the conquering of lands. That is best left to the more physical and less... enlightened.

Such cooperation would sound good to us. We always have a desire for additional bodies to join in our hunts.

Show
    Don't worry I won't be coming over there and trades sound good for the future.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2022-09-09 at 08:22 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Spiritual - Informed - Heroic

Messages at Morale 8

Spoiler: To the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh
    Show
    Dear Cousin Hylah,

You have our approval for those trades. Additionally, I have included requisition orders and projected trades for the upcoming month, which I believe you will find to your liking.

On a personal note, I deeply enjoyed the opportunity to walk through your neighborhoods on Coralward. I hope you are able to outcompete Hemminghock, who by all appearances seems to be muscling their way towards you.

May your gardens flourish,

Slayer-Confessor Kantus, Sancta Ichoria

Show
    I have 1 p. Eco and 1 p. Inv to trade. Would you be willing to go in for 2 p. Esp? Assuming I'm not dead by Turn 3, I would also be willing to do a bigger bulk trade of permanent stats to activate your passive as many times as possible.

Also would you send me additional t. Esp sent to help me take down the Shaitan, who I think we can all agree are bad for business?

Spoiler: To the Hemminghock Family Company
    Show
    Dear Cecelia Hemminghock,

Your message was unexpected, though not entirely unwelcome. In my capacity as Slayer-Confessor, I have reviewed your case and believe that you will not be trading with us for very long. The Witch-Doctors and the Carnival of Chains appear to wish us dead, and with Clan Fuxi aiding them, we will not survive an onslaught. The constant city-wide disasters are also certainly not helping things along.

Your bid for territory bordering us is not in itself problematic, but your mention of payment is intriguing. Keeping in mind our Orders' general disdain for material possessions and our imminent doom, we doubt there is much you can offer us in that vein. The Silent Saints would, however, appreciate a principled stand of solidarity and a neighbor we can rely on. How far are you willing to make a political ally amidst the madness of Ardakand?

May your coffers overflow,

Slayer-Confessor Vorin, Sancta Exspira

Show
    I'd be open to letting you take [30], but I want the Marble Ward. It looks like I'm not going to live very long, with three factions aggressively targeting me for a big attack, but I'm interested in hearing what you're willing to pay. Favours are more important to me than stats at this point.

Spoiler: To Legio XXIIX Cerberus and the Gudite Warband
    Show
    Dear Legate Orbei and Daghir the Wolf,

The situation with the Witch-Doctors is worse than either of you know. We have not been able to find the messengers from the Carnival of Chains, but some of the replies to their missive - the very same that has excluded both the Legio and the Slayers - seems to indicate that they are mustering support against both of our factions. The other Slayer-Confessors are working on getting into their good graces by promising our aid to take down the Shaitan, but I am not optimistic. We may soon be overwhelmed by the Witch-Doctors, Clan Fuxi, and the Carnival.

However, the Orders of the Silent Saints fully intend on making good their promise to destroy the Shaitan as much as possible. We are preparing for a massive decapitation strike against them, to be launched in the upcoming month. We have shared this information with those conspirators, with the hope that they are reasonable enough to stay their hands until the true danger has passed.

To that end, I am sharing our tactical read on the Shaitan with the two parties best able to help; their most likely moves, and how to box them in. Our hunt preparations are still underway, but if you and the Gudites can stop them or at least slow them down this month, it will make our task that much easier.

May your blades stay sharp,

Slayer-Confessor Jurall, Sancta Finalis

Show
    I have guesses on where the Shaitan will move. Kraken will likely abandon the territories he's taken as of the start of this turn, moving into neighboring districts to stall expansion while making more portals at Midturn. I should have more information for you then, but if you want to stop him, send as much Mil and other stats as you can at the territories adjacent to where they are now (i.e. don't waste stats on territories he is absolutely abandoning).

Spoiler: To Clan Fuxi, the Witch-Doctors, and the Carnival of Chains
    Show
    Dearest conspirators,

We will not waste ink defending the death of the Knight. It was an ill-considered move - and too aggressive for my liking - but I'm afraid the other Slayer-Confessors did not agree. I tried to appeal to the Witch-Doctors' sense of reason, but it seems that there is no sating their desire for vengeance. If they come for their proverbial pound of flesh, we will not stop them.

However, none of you are our priority. I am willing to put ink to paper swearing that the clear and very present danger are the spirits of destruction that are raging through Ardakand. The Slayers are putting all of their will towards dealing with the threat. All we ask for is patience. If you would like to come for us, have the decency of allowing us the opportunity to put down a true evil.

May you always see wisdom,

Slayer-Confessor Vorin, Sancta Exspira

Show
    Willing to guarantee that my next target is the Bloodsworn Shaitan. If you would like a more detailed outline of how I'll be spending my stats for Turn 2 and Turn 3, I'm happy to share it, but none of your VIPs are in any danger from my faction.

If you're going to band together and steel chair me out of this game, all I ask is that you wait a turn or two. Let me wipe out all of the Shaitan's VIPs before you gut me. Also, if you want to kill me you probably want a turn to bank some points, right?
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo
    Otherwordly, Martial, Mercenary

Show
    Just another cave full of twisted beasts. Sounds fun I'm in.

Show
    The Hippo and 2 Art will come to help with the clearing. I can send more if we haven't hit 20 yet. I would like to send a bunch of Inv to snag the heart too, but I'm willing to negotiate.

Spoiler: Hemminghock: Morale 5
    Show
    A sound start to a solid partnership. We can send some of our warriors in to assist in your endeavors.

Minoo Shirin

Show
    1 Permanent Eco for 3 t. Mil.

Spoiler: To the Temple of the Sky: Morale 5
    Show
    Most Righteous Flamen Caelesti,

Hopefully we have shown our commitment to your cause. Please allow us to intercede in the temples of small gods so that we can shield your work from the fires of destruction.

Minoo Shirin

6. - Top - End - #66

The Bloodsworn Shaitan

Morale 9

Spoiler: To the Carnival of Chains
    Show

The Shaitan note the Carnival's message with satisfaction, and an offering is a sent. A corrupt and decadent shipping administrator from the Warehouse District, half-drowned, unnaturally thin and weak, trussed and left for the Carnival to find. Seared into his flesh are the words "We look elsewhere".

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Just reiterating that I have no desire to mess with you, and that the Shaitan committed to non-interference with the Carnival or, if willing, unofficial partnership.

Spoiler: To the Gudite Warcamp and Clan Fuxi
    Show

It is a trembling emissary indeed who emerges from Hive and makes their way first to he Gudites and then Clan Fuxi. The hollow-eyed woman is clearly shaken to her core, traumatized by the violence she has seen, but she delivers a message nonetheless.

"The Shaitan have set their sights on Ratgate, but they see no reason to make enemies of those who bear no allegiance to this city. The Legion expands, and when they find the Shaitan to be elusive and troublesome prey and they tire of conquering ash, they will turn their sights to a less mobile feast.

They offer a... mutually beneficial partitioning of Khudara and the University Ward. It seems to them, Clan Fuxi would benefit strongly from the acquisition of the Sump, where they will find trinkets and information to be used, and a god to be fed to their patron. To the Ghudites, Ratgate could offer them a stronger connection to the spirit world... and a launching pad to easy prey, should they wish it. And the Shaitan would benefit most from the strength of the monsters kept in the Imperial Menagerie. Once taken, the Shaitan will leave the Imperial Menagerie barren and empty, and Clan Fuxi may do with it what they will. And both of you will have guarantees that the Shaitan will look elsewhere for prey."

When she has delivered her message, she stops, and then pleads for sanctuary. She begs you to send another in her place.

Show

Neither of you are lawful factions, and I have little interest in fighting you. Proposing that I take 48, GoC takes 6, and Neri takes 8. This way we all get a stat that is beneficial to ourselves, and we avoid any potential conflict. Then, once taken, the Shaitan shall retreat from 48. Thoughts? Would appreciate a response before midturn, and would prefer if the response doesn't mention territories by name/number. You never know who could be listening.

Spoiler: To Hemminghock Family Company
    Show

There is no response from the Shaitan, which Tess Hemminghock astutely observes is much better than most of the replies they could have received. It seems the Shaitan did not respond to this offer with hostility, at least.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2022-08-26 at 01:37 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Witch-Doctors
    Mercenary * Mercantile * Spiritual

This speech was first given by His Vessel, Antoine duLac, on behalf of The Baron. It was then transcribed and posted throughout the capitol.

MY FRIENDS, ON THIS, THE DAY AFTER THE GREATEST HARVEST OUR CITY HAS KNOWN, MADE POSSIBLE IN PART BY MY OWN HUMBLE EFFORTS, I HAVE GRAVE AND TRAGIC NEWS!

OUR BROTHER, THE KNIGHT, HAS BEEN SENT AWAY BY SUCH A METHOD HE MAY NOT RIDE UNDER THESE SKIES AGAIN IN A MORTAL LIFETIME, IF EVER. THIS FOUL ABJURATION WAS EFFECTED BY MAD CULTISTS CALLING THEMSELVES THE SILENT SLAYERS.

BE ADVISED A DIFFERENT INDIVIDUAL, ALSO OF PARANORMAL ORGIN, ALSO CALLING THEMSELVES "THE KNIGHT" HAS, OF LATE, BEEN SEEN IN THE AREA. THIS INDIVIDUAL IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH US AND SHOULD BE APPROACHED WITH CAUTION.

OUR BROTHER WAS KNOWN AS A TIRELESS CHAMPION OF THE PEOPLE, INDEED, ALONG WITH OUR FRIENDS IN THE LEGIO AQUILA, HE REPRESENTED, IN HIS OWN PERSON, A SUBSTANTIAL FRACTION OF THE FORCE PROTECTING THE DOCK AND WAREHOUSE DISTRICTS FROM DEPREDATION BY WANDERING NIHILISTS AND DERANGED CULTS.

NOW HE IS GONE. NOW, BY THE HAND OF THESE SILENT SLAYERS, THERE IS NO ONE LEFT TO DEFEND THE DOCKS FROM THE LIKES OF THE SHAITAN, SAVE THE OVERSTRETCHED AND UNDERFUNDED LEGIONS AND A CONFEDERATION OF SELFLESS BUSINESSMEN ILL-SUITED TO COMBAT WITHOUT THEIR WARRIOR LOA TO GUIDE THEM.

WE SENT OUT APPEALS TO THE NEARBY LEGIO CEREBRI, WHO LIVE ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE SLAYERS, TO DEAL WITH THE MURDERERS. THEY WERE UNINTERESTED.

IN OUR DESPERATION, WE OFFERED TO SEND AWAY THE SHAITAN, THAT THEY COULD VISIT THEIR WRATH ON THE GUILTY INSTEAD OF THE INNOCENT. THEY DID NOT RESPOND, AND WE FEAR THEY ARE SIZING US UP EVEN NOW....

THIS WINTER, REMEMBER WHO MADE SURE YOU HAD ENOUGH TO EAT AND ASK WHERE YOU WERE WHEN HE NEEDED YOU.

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show

Current stats:
    Mil 4
    Econ 8
    Invocation 9
    Espionage 2
    Artifice 1
    Morale 2

Treasures:
    2 temp Economy
    1 Temporary Artifce

Actions:

Delve the spirit world-
    Commit 5 Inv

Offer 2 ESP to scouting the rift
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2022-08-26 at 02:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Mor 6

Spoiler: Shaitan/Gudite
    Show
    We are not opposed to that deal but we are focused on the Rift this turn and not expanding. We would be willing to take 48 after you are done with it and 6. However we will need to talk it over with tye Gudites as we have our own talks regarding property in the city.

Spoiler: Hippo & Heron
    Show
    In regards to the Securing of the Rift we will be sending various forces to aid in that. A various amount of Spirit Walkers, Sages, and infiltrators.

As for the Core. There are obviously multiple parties that wish to gain it, including myself, but I doubt anyone would back down. We too do plan on sending a lot of Spirit Walkers into the Rift in an attempt to secure the core.

Show
    Will be sending a total amount of stats equal to 10 to the Securing. So that'll be 18 total i believe. We need 2 more to properly secure the Rift.

Show
    We are still looking for more forces to join us and Hippo & Heron in securing the Rift. We hope at least a few more forces will join us.

Spoiler: Midturn (GM Only)
    Show
    Tier 2 Esp VIP, 5 Art, 1 Mil to Securing Rift. 10 total sent.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2022-08-27 at 01:56 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

9. - Top - End - #69

The Bloodsworn Shaitan

The response from the Shaitan to the proclamations of the Witch-Doctors is swift and, as expected, gratuitous. Painted in enormous letters in blood on the bridge connecting the Mire and the Outworks is the Shaitan's reply:

YOU CAN KEEP YOUR DOCKS AND ROT. YOU DO NOT HAVE OUR ATTENTION. YOU DO NOT WANT IT.

Morale 9

Spoiler: To the Gudites and Clan Fuxi
    Show

OOC: Acceptable. We will muster to the Menagerie this season and leave 6 and 8 unclaimed for you two to divide as you wish.

as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

Inhuman – Spiritual – Heroic

Morale 9

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamp
    Show

Friend Leviathan,

If works for soldier and soldier-priest, will work for us! Will speak with Architects, have issues with really impressive things collapsing under our weight, maybe can help! Cousins who bring food to morays too hurt to fish will put in good work, like you ask.

Now, you can help with shadow making hole in world, yes? Hippo from palace will send all support we need to secure rift, almost. [2 Mil or Esp] to make sure people not near him not get killed is all needed. Or maybe snakes will do it? I am guessing that you and heron and snake will all have huge fight over who gets fancy heart once rift is secure, also, but is up to you.

If you can help with other bunch of horrible monsters who want kill city also, when have better access can definitely make deal to help with that.

Only, are you planning on killing snake? If not, would like promise that we can move through you to trade for treasures they might find, Tidemaze much easier to get through than going around.

Spoiler: Slayers of the Silent Saints
    Show

Master of Ravages,

Vultures flock to carrion, but vanish when there is no easy meal.
    To overcome your bestial nature is what most call virtue, though few achieve it.

When the leeches arrive, there shall be mites in their blood. Harmless, but take care to harvest them. Crushed and pulped they will be useful for your spells and scourges. They sup on the blood of life far better than any vampire, and their essence is anathema to the dead.
    -Cousin Hylah

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    2 Esp it is. I have 1 temp esp to send as well, if it’s going towards the city not getting consumed by angry ghosts, but not quite sure if I need it to cover trade costs here?

Show

Mustering to enter the Guild Ward

Sending Cousin Hylah and 6 Art to help secure the rift site for the event
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Mor 5
    Rep: Barbarian-Martial-Spiritual

Show
    The Gudites will send a company of scouts [2 esp] to pave the way for those who seek to secure the rift's surrounding, given who the others in our party are, this should be sufficient.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the Inmortal Flesh
    Show
    Cousins of the Flesh,

We will send some skirmishers ahead of your group, anything heavier than that can't leave the city right now, though we have no doubt the Hippo and your kin will deal with anything the scouts can find.

And oh, do hope there is no fighting, I intend to see it sealed personally and "Leviathan" was a name I earned after the gods acknowledged me, not before.

We hope all three of us can be great friends, so long as we are you can pass, if we can't all it'll have to be just the both of us.

Azagar's bounty,
    Solyom, Leviatan.

Spoiler: Bloodsworn Shaitan-Clan Fuxi
    Show
    The Gudites aren't particularly opposed to this arrangement.

When the messenger is to leave and pleads, Daghir and a few more warriors volunteer to take her place.

A brief discussion in the Western tongue ensues, and eventually an elderly woman with many a scar on her goes out in the traditional scales of the Gudites, with a long poleaxe for reach in the abscense of a formation to stick to and a few more blades to her side should the reach be closed.

The ex-messenger is provided accomodations.

The messenger does not come back.

Spoiler: Clan Fuxi of The White Snake
    Show
    We are helping clear out your path, though the Gardeners have, as always, pulled through for the city.

As for the aid [Inv], It was for portal, to solve a small dispute with the Legio Cerberus without ruining our ability to commute with Gulldr.

But we seem to have reached an agreement without anything as crass.

Do you intend to take our offer of expansion? if so we'll allow you passage as promised and please do likewise, since we intend to join the Gardeners in their District. As for the politicking... I see a lot of shaking hands, so time should be on our side for now, don't blink though, or you'll miss it.

Azagar's silent step,

Spoiler: Slayers of the Silent Saints
    Show

The advice is appreciated and noted.

As for your other concerns, any reasonable party would hesitate to do anything as crass as political decapitations during such times of crisis. I like to believe all involved are reasonable parties.

Gulldr's Warmth,
    -Daghir, The wolf.

Spoiler: Carnival of Chains
    Show
    We straddle lands
    the suns that burn
    would have us
    there is the sky,
    who'd live there?
    not the birds
    they'd never
    no,
    I'd rest in Ase's lap one day
    Oh yes, she'd drag me there
    she'd try, and die, one might, again

That's Aaseghooth, the daunting beetle; is a rough translation, since he was Nephtorian, but I do like his work.

Azagar's silent step,
    -Daghir, The wolf.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2022-08-26 at 11:41 PM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

12. - Top - End - #72

Hemminghock - MOR 6

Spoiler: To the Gudite and Witch Doctors
    Show

We have no interest the 'so called' Eye of Heaven. Most of the smaller folk in Ardakand don't have the gold to buy anythin' worth sellin' on our scale. They can buy at the local shops and we'll handle invoices.

We will need to start arming people soon to march to Khudara and... convince the Twistrunners to join our cause. There is more money in it than criminality afterall.

Respond to this letter posthaste, we need to muster soon to make it in time.

Spoiler: To the Silent Saints and Gardeners
    Show

This is mostly in response to the Saints but we figured that the Gardeners should be privy to the information as well. Hemminghock has put ouyr eyes towards [30], in the Guild ward to help establish commerce in the area. If you're amicable to this we can march this month, if there needs to be more debate, we're fine with that as well.

As for the favor, Saints, this is part of it. I beleive that the Gardeners and ourselves here at Hemminghock have the same humble purpose and benefit from a glut of powers within Ardakand as opposed to a select few.

What we can offer for you Saints is our guns as a sorta insurance policy. A statement that attackin' the Saints with the intent to kill before we sned those bloody bastards to the grave will be like declaring war against Ardakand's best interests and thatHemminghock is gonna bring all the guns of the city's biggest army against them.

If the Gardeners can join us with a similar statement, we're happy to make it before prepping the boys.

Spoiler: To Heron and Hippo
    Show

Done and done, we'll build and make some of our custom tinkerin' to ensure that you can make more armor for your boys in the future.

Show

Hemminghock can also send scouts as insurance to the rift. It's not a lot but we're a busy people and already helped with one emergency to almost no thanks.

*Promising 1 ESP*

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Rep: Barbarian-Spiritual-Martial

Spoiler: Witch Doctors-Hemminghock
    Show
    Excellent, reasonable as you are, we have already worked out a deal with the Shaitan, so please go ahead. If the witch doctors are in favour too of course.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spoiler: public
    Show

Despite increasingly erratic behavior from their leaders, the Loa send a few investigators to help deal with the immediate fallout of the rift.

They aren't shy about pointing out they had a specialist who could have helped in closing the rift, may he rest and come back in due time...

OoC: The Witch-Doctors commit 2 ESP to securing the rift.

Spoiler: Hemminghock, Gudites Mor 2
    Show

We are not entirely sure what you mean, but we certainly won't stop you or ask follow up questions until our security can be reviewed and improved.
    Last edited by Feathersnow; 2022-08-27 at 10:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

The Bloodsworn Shaitan

Show

Spoiler: For Eldan's Eyes
    Show

Spending 4 Inv to create a portal from 34-61.

Mustering to the Central Ward.
    Mustering to the University Ward.
    Mustering to the Guild Ward.

Spoiler: To the Gudites and Clan Fuxi
    Show

The deal made, the Shaitan's aggressiveness on the borders of Khudara abates. They have enemies enough in the city.

The Gudite respresentative is brought to some of the only remaining accommodations in a livable state, the ward having been largely demolished. A constant stream of refugees - largely unharmed - flows south, unheeded by the Shaitan. Indeed, she is surprised at the comparative lack of casualties, before she learns that this is the Warband of Betrayal that occupies the ward - and having eviscerated the slumlords and the Nightwatch, they have little interest in tormenting peasants. The Hive itself has been burned to the ground and the power structures demolished, with which the Shaitan appear to be content - for now.

Show

Just a bit of fluff.

GoC has agreed to it implicitly, but I would like formal permission to march through 49 to reach 48.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2022-08-27 at 01:04 PM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Mor 6

Spoiler: Shaitan
    Show
    You have permission to travel through our lands to the Imperial Corps.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2022-09-07 at 02:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

To the Gudite Warcamp

From the Legio Aquila [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hail, Wolf

That is more than we can ask for, all that we hope for. That while we man the walls, someone keeps the city from being burned from the inside.

Legate Aurelius

From the House of the Spider [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esteemed Hierarch,

We understand how important you think the problems facing the mortal city, but our concerns are for the immortal souls of our honored dead and we can not spare what you seek. We have, however, no concerns about new parties entering the old city, unless they were to bethe Mortalists or the Shaitan.

Yours,
    Sinchi Aklasumaq Aranea

From the Pontifex [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esteemed Wolf, servant of the manifolded lord of war:
    The Sky is ultimate and eternal. The Sky sees all and is above all. All that is on Earth is merely a reflection of the Sky. As such, we do not see this as a visit by Gulldr. You are merely moving from one part of the Sky's domain to another. Gods come, and Gods go, and the sky remains.

These are the Words of the Pontifex

The Heron and the Hippo
    From the Temple of the Sky [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honored Lady Shirin,

In these uncertain times, when evil spirits walk abroad and the hearts of men darken, there is no better protector we could wish for than one who has proven her piety as much as you have, Lady Advocate, and who commands such strength as Lord Hormoz. We would gladly see you extend your protection over the Lesser Gods.

In the Name of the Sky,
    The Flamen Caelestis
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo

Spoiler: Midturn: GM
    Show
    Pay 1 eco for the Lord Lagamal's pact.
    Send Hormoz with the Forgemaster's Hammer to go secure the rift. Should be 6Mil, 1Art effectively.
    Muster an army to secure the Temple of Small Gods (63).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warcamp

Morale 5

Spoiler: Midturn-GM only
    Show
    Sending 2 Esp to secure the area around the rift.

4 Mor is to be spent on calling the Belligerent Knight to our side.

The Gudites Muster for Coralward and The Guild Ward.

20. - Top - End - #80

From the Legio Aquila to the Legio Cerberus [8]

Spoiler
    Show
    Honored Legate,

We prize your work, and all you have done for the city. Yes, if it can be done, we would unite the righteous of this city against what threatens it.

Here is what we think we must do: our legion are scouts, to see threats coming to the city, and aerial fighters, who rain thunder and lightning on all enemies who approach. Yours is a legion of irregular fighters, hounds and archers. Neither of us are ideal for the work inside the city, unless the evils here should decide to form up in neat ranks, perhaps just in bowshot range.

What we intend to do is found a new fighting force of city fighters. Lightly armed and armored, able to patrol the entire city, maintain outposts in all the wards and move quickly to strike anywhere at a moment's notice, so they can help the defence of any district under attack. Perhaps not enough to repulse all dangers, but enough to buy time. More than that: this irregular force, as I imagine them, would know the city better than anyone, know what is going on, and how to move through it.

We ask for your help, and that of likeminded individuals, to help found this force.

In the Light of the Empire,
    The Legate Aurelius

OOC: They are mainly asking for more points of Mil to make this happen. Once this is done, they will be ready to confederate.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Spiritual - Informed - Heroic

Show
    Spoiler: Seriously, Eldan Only
    Show
    Spoiler: You’d Better Be Eldan Reading This
    Show
    Nothing from me!
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

22. - Top - End - #82

PaladinGuy

Legio Cerberus

Midturn PM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Create a gate from 16 to 36 using 4 inv

Muster for Shield Isle

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Golden Guard

Show

2 inv exploring the spirit realm as they continue trying to find something of value in that place.

1 econ offered to the killy man trying to hire them (just on the off chance no on made an offer)

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler: MIDTURN
    Show

Mustering to KHUDARA

Sending a small set of Hemminghock game trackers to the outskirts of the rift to secure it.

Sending 6 INV and 1 TEMP INV into the spirit world using the old world magics established previously. The gifted beads from the previous venture are worn by shaman duirng their calls out into the world of spirits, a sign of previous acceptance in their attempt to get a favorable outcome again.

GHosts from the Ghost Quarter that moved over to Hemminghock surround the outskirts of the rift to secure against incursions, letting the shaman focus on getting their people as far in as they can.

25. - Top - End - #85

Midturn 2

The Rift
    In the end, it is a small party that sallies forth to seal the rift: Hormoz the Hippo and a minor noble from the Fuxi named Lady Chagatai leave almost entirely on their own, just accompanied by a few scouts of the Gudies and Witch Doctors and the Lady's personal bodyguards. But appearances, here, are deceiving. What is sent with them is a concentration of power that likely hasn't been seen in the hands of so few in decades. Hormoz the Hippo and the Lady Chagatai walk clad in white snake scales shed from the great Fuxi itself, carefully inscribed with impenetrable wards. And all around them is the newest creation of Cousin Hylah of the flesh gardeners: wherever they step, a deep carpet of red and brown algae and slime crawls across the landscape, a scout, emergency camp, provisions and warrior all in one.
    When they leave on their journey, it is slowly, carefully, painfully so for a direct man like the Hippo, maybe. The Lady Chagatai scatters scores of furry white silkmoths from her hands, letting them flutter out over the landscape, seemingly talking to them. Together with the witch-doctor scout corps, she chooses a circuitous route, curving around unseen obstacles.
    The land itself is treacherous here. In a wide circle around the rift, the vegetation is dying, in sharp contrast to the vibrant green new farmland. The trees are black, bent and twisted almost double, and the grass is scraggly and brown, yet still covering unseen rifts in the landscape. The animals, too, have changed. On the second day, the party finds what seem to be a flock of crows on the ground, their eyes white and blind, their limbs feebly twitching.
    On a good day, the journey should take two days, to where the center of the rift sits. It takes a week for the party to see the new mountain in the distance, shimmering oily black against an ominously clouded sky. This far in, there is no vegetation anymore, just the misty chasms and the oily black tendrils that cover the land, thick as tree trunks and faintly pulsating.
    One of the scouts soon proves how dangerous the endeavour is: with one careful step, he puts his foot down on one of the tendrils and sinks in to the ankle, screaming in pain. In the end, there is nothing else to do: Hormoz severs the woman's foot at the ankle with a single swing of his blade.
    From then on, the party stays close together, leaving the scouting entirely to Chagatai's moths. The Gardener's creation really gets to work now: where the black oily tendrils meet the fleshy pulsating mass of the algae carpet, there is a hissing sound and bubbles of foul smelling gasses escape into the air, but in the end, the algae win. Inch by inch, the party moves forward, leaving behind a trail of barren, but save ground.
    Another day passes, until they finally reach the flanks of the mountain that has formed around the rift, unsure of how to proceed. Hormoz proposes climbing, because that is what mountains are here for. Or delving into one of the rifts, finding the heart of this foul dungeon.
    The decision is taking from them. In front of the party the ground splits open, disgorging a wall of pale flesh, an eyeless white worm with a head the size of a house. Its flanks gape open into mouths, running the entire length of its body, studded with coiling tendrils that snap at the Hippo.
    The godblooded mercenary merely laughs, hefting a gigantic warhammer. "FINALLY!", seem to be his last words, as the action-deprived warrior throws himself into the worm's maw, shoulder first. The flesh bursts at his assault, bleeding hissing, waterly liquid, but the warded snakeskin armor turns all harm aside. Barely stopping, the Hippo's hammer bursts out the other side of the creature, leaving a tunnel of bleeding flesh. Before the creature can turn around, he leaps atop it and, blow after blow, breaks for whatever passes as the monster's spine, making his way towards the head. It still takes minutes of thrashing and hammering, until the creature lies dead, its flesh already slowly melting. The Gardener's algae carpet hungrily devours the remaining slime.
    In the silence that follows, they can all hear it, from the tunnel in the Earth: the beating of a colossal heart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Total stats invested in rift: 33
    Witch Doctors: 2 Esp
    Clan Fuxi: Lady Chagatai (Esp 2 VIP), 5 Art, 1 Mil
    Gardeners: Cousin Hylah (Art 2 VIP) and 6 Art
    The Heron and the Hippo: Hippo (Mil 3 VIP), 1 Art
    Gudite Warcamp: 2 Esp

A path to the rift is opened and secured, it can now be sealed. There are no conventional treasures to be found here, it seems, but samples of the various unique ichors and materials found here should prove very valuable to the city's alchemists, mages and poisoners.

The Witch Doctors [2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Your part of the loot is small: you merely gain 1 t.eco from the selling of some body parts and weird liquids, for the services of your scouts.

The spirit world, however, is another matter entirely. What awaits the Loa and their servants this day is near absolute darkness. Deepest, starless night, the sky covered in low-hanging stormclouds. No light seems to work, lanterns and torches failing to light. Investigation shows that this is an ancient battlefield. There are ancient, skeletal corpses here, scattered over the field. They still wear their weapons, and armor, all gleaming like new, some engraved with spells of protection. A valuable find, if one does not hesitate to plunder the dead.

Then you see it: A candle flickers, lighting a distant path. It leads the expedition, over storm-swept ridges in absolute darkness, over raging oceans under unfriendly stars and through labyrinthine forests. Unfailingly, the tiny light guides you, safely, until you come to a tiny hut, built on a cliff-face overlooking a valley, deep below.
    “Welcome”, says the hooded old man on the bench outside the hut. “Please, have a seat. I wish to tell you a story.”
    He has put the lantern down beside him, and it is still flickering, though the night is still and warm.
    “Once, before the coming of the sky, there lived in the mountains of Iossau a people of simple shepherds. Their mountains were barren, and they were a hardy folk. They knew their land, and they knew their gods. Life was hard, but in death, they knew the candle of Chouvrian, the Kindly One, would guide them to a gentler land, in paradise.
    They never feared invaders, because the land fought for them, the moors and the cliffs swallowed all flatlanders who came to take it. Until the Sky came.
    They had heard of the Great Khan, of course, even in Iossau, how he swept across the continent and conquered all. The Khan’s Gods were simple, brutal Gods of nature. The Sky above All, who sees everything. The Wolf, who can not be bent or broken. The Eagle and the Leopard, his brutal conquerors. And the Spider, who ensnared the dead and would not let them rest.
    The brave people of Iossau fought until the end, when all other lands under the sky were conquered. The Eagle and the Leopard painted the moors red with the blood of shepherd-folk, but in the end, they broke against the mountainside.
    And so, the Khan sent instead the spider. It skittered sideways across the world, like spiders do, and watched the people of Iossau from the other side. And it saw what must be done to conquer them: breaking their God would break the people, too.
    It began to spin a web, across the gates of paradise. Single threads, at first, finer than hairs, so they could not be seen. But in the end, the web, stronger than steel, closed the gates, and the spider sent its half-dead guardians to man the gates, so that none might pass, trapping the Kindly One on one side, and the dead on the other.
    The people saw that in death, they would no longer be able to rest. Like all others, they would be ensnared in the spider’s web, unable to pass on. And they could no longer hear the voice of Chouvrian, to guide them.
    It broke their spirit, and the Khan broke them. Like all others, they were conquered, and in time, their god was thought to be nothing more than a minor spirit in the spider’s domain.”

The old man pauses.

“I am a Kind God. Merciful and Wise. But I see my people, whom I love, suffer, unable to rest. I saw the Tyranny of the Sky, that has crushed mortal and spirit both. For five hundred years, this wrath has grown in my heart. And so, I think, it must have grown in yours, as the noble warrior in your midst has fallen. They speak noble words and suffer killers in their midst, who slay both mortal and spirit for daring to speak against the Tyranny of Heaven.”

He lifts his lantern and steps to the cliff face, and the light illuminates what lies below. Rank after rank of soldiers. Thousands of them, millions perhaps. Their weapons are broken and rusted, their faces skeletal and decayed, but from their eyes shines a fanatical flame and they cheer, as the

“Loas, behold my army. They are the Abominous, those without omen, who have died, and can not rest. And now, that the sky has fallen, we will storm the gates of paradise, and cleanse heaven of the taint of the vile spider.”

Found: 2 t.art, 3 t.mil
    Offered: Pact with Chouvrian
    Losses: None

Chouvrian, Kindly Father Death
    Spoiler
    Show

Legend: This is a new face of an old god. Chouvrian was barely known in the Empire before, a minor guide of the dead from a minor province. Iossau is barren and inhospitable, known traditionally as a haven of bandits and savages, though after their conquest also shrewd merchants, well able to leverage their geographical position on a vital caravan route.

Offering: Publicly, serving Chouvrian means caring for the sick and comforting the dying. This costs you 1 t.mor every turn. Secretly, Chouvrian needs killers to add select souls to his army, which costs you 1 t.esp every turn. Finally, you may not cooperate with the House of the Spider in any way. No trade, no confederation, no combined actions or alliances.

Blessing: Chouvrian offers you three secrets.
    The first is the secret of accepting death with an open heart. All chouvriantes know they will die, and what will await them when they do. Whenever you lose stat points to invasion or stat attack, you gain +1 t.morale for every stat point lost.
    The second is the secret of not dying. Chouvrian shares special meditation techniques with his worshippers that make them incredibly hard to kill, if they are prepared. This increases all damage rates of military and espionage stat attacks against you by 1, making them less effective, and increases all thresholds to be either wounded or assassinated by the VIP’s tier.
    The third is the collection of souls: Chouvrian needs special souls to form his army to assault the gates of paradise, the stronger the better. If you would wound a VIP, they are killed instead.
    Successfully assassinating a VIP of Tier 2 or higher earns you a second, bonus VP.

Clan Fuxi [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lady Chagatai is instrumental in finding a save path to the rift's heart, and learns much along the way about her newfound powers, using them in some entirely unexpected ways. In the end, not much of material wealth is brought back, though the Venom Mistress will surely appreciate the vials of exctingly lethal liquids brought back.

Gained: 10 bonus XP for Chagatai, 3 t.esp, 1 t.art

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh [9]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The question of how to help a party across a lethal landscape full of unknown dangers is inspiring to a mind like that of Cousin Hylah. The new "algae", in truth much closer to a slime mold, is a brilliant modification of the flesh carpet that is slowly covering all of Coralward: mobile, with limited self-awareness, imbued with a tiny spark of the divine power of the Flesh itself, able to feed and provide food, to find dangers and even to fight, in its own way. Surely, this will very soon be of great use in the city, too.

Gained: 3 t.art, 3 t.eco, 1 t.inv, 4 bonus XP for Cousin Hylah

The Bloodsworn Shaitan [9]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portal from 34-61 created.

The Heron and the Hippo [5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hippo has quite enjoyed his adventure, even if, in the end, the monster had no bones or hide to make a trophy from. He instead grabs a few of the more valuable looking chunks of landscape, to bring to some alchemists to analyze, who are quite happy to pay a handful sum for it.

12 bonus XP (from rolled treasure and faction ability), 3 t.eco, 1 t.art, 3 t.esp. Damage negated by additional stats paid to make expedition safer.

Gudite Warcamp [5]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sadly, the expedition does not prove very profitable. In the end, all your scouts bring home is some observations on the magical nature of the place, worth 1 t.inv.

Slayers of the Silent Saint [8]
    Spoiler
    Show
    No portals are constructed.

Legio Cerberus [10]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Portal opened from 16 to 36.

The Knight Belligerent
    The Gudites understand the Knight very well, indeed. If the Queen Immaculate feeds on despair, then despair he shall have.
    The white, faceless helmet gazes impassive at the spectacle before him: a firepit has been dug, right into a public square, five feet white, filled with coal and kindling. In the biting smoke, one by one, approach a long line of crying children, each clutching a beloved toy, a puppet, a stuffed bear, a board game. One by one, under the gaze of the impassive knight, they throw it into the fire.

The Gudite warcamps have hired the Knight Belligerent for this month.

The Golden Guard [6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Spirit World is still as it was a month ago, a quiet beach. Something has to be here, the artificers know, but for now, it seems to be mostly just a nice vacation spot, away from the war in the city. It becomes easier to step over: merely closing ones eyes and thinking of the beach delivers them here. The quiet atmosphere and rest are good for thinking, and new ideas soon bubble in the artificer's minds, even if they have no idea how to proceed in finding a spirit here.

Gained: 1 t. art
    Exploration: 4/10

Rumours of War
    The Gardeners are mustering to enter the Guild Ward. The Shaitan are mustering to the Central Ward, the University Ward and the Guild Ward. The Heron and the Hippo are mustering to the Temple Ward. The Legio Cerberus is mustering to Shield Isle. Hemminghock is mustering to Khudara. The Gudites Muster for Coralward and The Guild Ward.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-08-28 at 09:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Hemminghock Midturn [6]
    Spoiler
    Show

The gates of the palace simply swing wide, and then there is Gold. Everything is golden, the floors, the curtains, the pillars, even the lions that pace lazily around the throne room in the golden light falling through the windows in their golden frames. There are display cabinets along the walls, each showing a single gem, a piece of jewelry, or some small artwork. All are, as far as you can tell, of exquisite quality.
    There is an empty throne, on a pedestal, overlooking the entire room.
    “Welcome, welcome”, a jolly voice greets you as you enter.
    “I heard there’s some restructuring going on in the mortal world these days, you’re looking for a patron god? Well, I thought I’d throw my name into the ring so to speak, haha. Maybe we could have a look at each other. Well, not me, of course, I’m the invisible hand of the market and all that, so a bit hard to see right now, haha. But I've been looking at what you've been doing, and it's very high concept. Mass production. Love it. Unprecedented. Total pivot in the paradigm. You are proper thought leaders. What I'm saying is, we should have great synergy.
    Anyway, I’ve had a bit of a design meeting, a brainstorm if you will, and considered how we can best go forward to maximize some outputs. Return on investment, that’s what the God game is all about these days. Some seed money may way, and then we make some investments together, and voila! A rising tide lifts all boats and once we're lifted, we really don't have to reach for low-hanging fruit anymore! Sign here please.”

Gained: 2 t.eco, 1 t.inv
    Offered: Pact with Andvari, Lord of wealth
    Lost: nothing
    Progress on next find: 2/10

Spoiler
    Show

Legend: Andvari is a very modern god. While there have of course been gods of wealth and riches since forever, Andvari is rumoured to have been promoted from a minor god of scribes and functionaries to what he is now only decades ago, though his priests ardently deny it. He is, above all, the god of modern "banking", of stock exchanges, futures, double legders and long-term options, things only recently invented at all by the most foreward thinking moneylenders.

Offering: Anvari is very simple. He wants exactly 3 t.eco every midturn, that’s enough. Build him some ostentatious temples.

Blessing: Every EOT, you gain 1 t.eco for every 4 stats that are invested into stat growth by the other factions across the city.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

Inhuman – Spiritual – Heroic

Once, it had been a sanctum, a dark and holy place buried beneath the waves, with a grand temple built atop it. It was sacred again now, at least from a certain point of view, but the years between hadn’t been kind. Even after months of work, the leathery membranes stretched across the gaps in the ancient stone invariably leaked somewhere, and the whole structure shuddered and gasped with every breath like some great beached leviathan.

But a dying leviathan wasn’t yet dead, and in all the City this half-drowned sanctum came the closest to being fully and truly alive. A thick red moss coated every surface, soft and moist to the touch, and thick veins ran across the walls and floor, keeping the skins alive and the whole sanctum as hot and humid as a greenhouse. Some of the veins connected to the small pools which dotted the floor, and provided breeds of life not yet ready to brave the cruelties of nature a kind and nurturing home. Patches of something like grass had sprouted out of the moss in places, each knee-high blade swaying in tune with the whole structure’s breath, emitting a soft light in deference to those crippled by a reliance on conventional sight.

Cousin Hylah had no such disability – anyone who expected to find eyes underneath her polished mask of bone would be disappointed, on several levels. Left to her own devices, she would probably never leave. Everything here was alive, their breathes a song and their heartbeats a caress. She could lose herself for days, neglecting her own body to contemplate the fractals of life, forgetting whether she was immersed in the budding of a patient’s nascent tumour or the enveloping mass of a behemoth who might yet be born, if it were not too vast and vital for the world to sustain.

Her cousins worried about her. Even if they quietly revered her for it, too. A dozen of them dotted the vaulted chamber, observing their own experiments and adjusting the flow of various veins into their pools, or cutting themselves open to feed their children on their own blood and pus, and they would all be at her side in an instant if there weren’t a trio of – rather queasy seeming – acolytes already attending her.

They needn’t have worried. Here and now, the sharp taste of rot kept her grounded. The Shadow had fallen heavily on a mountain outside the City and, like any carcass, the dead bones of the world had provided nutrition to all manner of interesting scavangers. Painful to the touch and distasteful to work with, but part of her almost wished she could have seen what horror might be born of the rift if it was left to fester.

After all, the ichor of a certain worm that had attacked the party sent to clear it had been exactly what she needed. Imagining what she could do with whatever monstrosity was weighty enough to tear a wound in the world, well-

...Better to focus on what she had. Her minders got agitated when she didn’t move for more than a few minutes. Even if the moss beneath her feet was more than happy to do all the breathing and maintenance for her. Unfair, really.

Sighing, she lightly shook each foot until the tendrils of moss had safely pulled out of her veins, and walked over to the pool she had come to inspect. After a moment of confusion her little retinue stumbled after her, struggling slightly with their loads. One – a burly former refugee, not-so-subtly doing double duty as her bodyguard – almost stumbled into the pool as she stopped at the edge. He came even closer to retching up his lunch as he caught himself and looked down on her newest attempt at coaxing the fruits of the Garden into being.

They were pallid, eyeless, amorphous. Simple enough join together into one great lattice or break apart into dozens of individuals, as required – and simple enough that the red loam was all they needed to sustain them. They were something like a squid, or an eel, depending on one’s perspective. And they were constantly, desperately, active, churning through the water of their tiny home like a moment’s stillness would mean surest death.

They had grown as much as they were going to – at least until she separated some out and fed them the proper catalysts to incite maturity, and started breeding the next generation – and gave every indication that they’d turned out perfectly. The only thing left to do was start testing them. She motioned to the unfortunate acolytes, and one of the less imposing pair hurriedly pulled a half-sedated cat from the box she had been struggling with.

The cats had been a surprise. There had been whole colonies of them running feral in the Boatyard. They’d been left without a food supply, once Cousin Rao had helped themselves to the native rat population. Just letting them starve had seemed unconscionably cruel.

Not that this wasn’t.

She turned and ran a hand across the cat’s face, scratching its chin as she felt it stir awake. She kept her voice soft enough to avoid spooking it. “I am sorry, little one. May your pain be a shield for those who come after. May your sacrifice be meaningful, and your memory honoured. Know that suffering is transient, and reach beyond it.”

The cat had no idea what she was saying, of course. The words were an anaesthetic for her own guilt, just as picking out the mostly sickly and cripple and worm-ridden cats for this and nursing them back to health herself beforehand had been. In the moment, neither method seemed particularly effective.

She stepped back, nodding to the acolyte.

“Arik? Begin, please.”

He didn’t move for a moment, beyond taking a deep, uncomfortable breath. Good – if he had been sanguine about profaning himself, she couldn’t have tolerated his presence. Still, once he had gathered himself, he obeyed. He was strong enough to break each limb on the first attempt, and had a steady hand as he dragged the knife across screeching, scratching flesh. Good qualities in a bodyguard, she supposed.

The subject needed to be on the brink of death as it hit the water – a rushing stream of untreated, parasite-filled ocean water – and Arik obliged. In the same instant, she opened the channel, letting her experiments out into the same stream.

The blood didn’t have a heartbeat to spill out into the water before they had its scent. They were every bit as fast as she could have hoped, even swimming against the current – by the time her acolytes had realized they were moving, they had already reached the subject. It vanished beneath the frenzied, churning mass swarming through the water, and for a long minute there was no sign of it. The great mass of her creation eventually became slower and more sedate with its thrashing, letting the current push it back toward the pool it knew as home.

Arik seemed quite certain he had just fed the tentacled swarm a midday meal, and ended up spilling his own lunch all over the ground after all – he managed to avoid the water, at least, which was the important thing. The other two acolytes were no less discomforted, though they managed to maintain their composure.

All three were shocked when the subject finally floated to the surface, intertwined with a detached mass of her creation. A thick membrane of mucus acted as an artificial clot, sealing each bleeding wound, thin tentacles had wrapped around each broken limb before going rigid, acting as makeshift splints, and the greater mass of the squid-like body was wrapped around the subject’s head, visibly growing and deflating in a steady rhythm as it pumped the water from its lungs and took over breathing.

Arik still needing a moment to recover, she motioned toward the other acolytes. “Noemi? The pulse, please.”

To her credit, she barely hesitated, and anyone relying on sight wouldn’t have noticed her flinching at the texture. “It’s alive, Auntie. The heart is strong. Do you want me to bleed it?”

“If it lives we will restore it. There is no longer a need for it to be kept distant and half dead, anything broken beyond repair can be replaced. Take it to my clinic, all the remains is to study how the mind endured.”

She waited for the girl to run off before sighing. “And now we see how it divides its attention. Arik, Navin? Two, these time. We move up from there, until we find its limit.”

This was growth, unpleasant as it was.

She just had to hope there was time left to see it truly bloom.

Morale 9

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamp
    Show

Friend Leviathan!

Many thanks for help with cutting path to cut in world. Is good to be safe about these things and send more than need. And is good to have strong arm willing to help City to work with. In next month when you are in Tide Maze and we are both friends with Guilds, we can help each other for real!

Will have supply of charms and tricks for ghost-hunting, anyway. Am guessing you would want to trade for [permanent Inv]?

But also, am needing to ask – what are you needing war-goddesses knight for, anyway? Not wanting to be paranoid, but some of my cousins worry.

Or, better question, what are Leviathan and Wolf and Fairway actually wanting? Conquer City? Be new emperor? Take gold and sailing home?

-Cousin Arsat

Spoiler: Slayers
    Show

Oh Blades of Paradise,

A boon, if you would? You hear every whisper the City has to offer.

I find myself doubtful of where the wolf intends to snap her jaws, and as fearful of the wraiths as anyone should be. Might you have learned some secret to settle my resolve, one way or another?

-Cousin Hylah

Show
    Just, running with the assumption that you can read everyone’s mail, am wondering if you happen to have any insight on whether the Gudite’s intend to backstab me here, and/or what territories the Shaitan are going for.

Spoiler: Bloodsworn Shatain
    Show

Cousin Rao arrived in the warehouse district without fanfare. Well, properly speaking they didn’t arrive at all, but a dozen different particularly massive and cancer-ridden rats would be gnawing on someof the more dramatic corpses the Shaitan had left in their wake, waiting peaceably to be snatched up and slaughtered, a slip of parchment wrapped tightly around each of their stomachs. The message is identical, and identically incoherent, on each.

bones are marble the ribs of the unborn leviathan shall be the foundation that breaks the heavens and lets all grow within its shade fertilizer and fires to burn away the world until what is true and real and grow in its ashes quicksilver and clay we shall need and we shall ask and we shall guard if you will bring your slaughter to the guilds leave our soon new friends be else we shall have no deal at all.

Show
    Essentially, I plan to take the Red and Quicksilver Quarters (27 and 29) this turn. So if you want to maintain the possibility of ceasefire trade then, uh, murder everyone somewhere else?

Last edited by St. Justicar; 2022-08-30 at 11:27 AM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gudite Warband

Azag’s shop was in a bit of a lull, as most places were during drill time. The people deferred to him as a cartographer and astrologist. The star maps of such a static and ancient city were far too commonplace, so he leaned on the mapmaking, crafting improved copies of whatever topography he could get his hands on and walking around the safish lanes to properly map the city.

When bustling the shop was a patchwork of foreign Merchantmen and community leaders, Gudites that hadn’t quite got used to certain districts and cloak and dagger types that tried a bit to not look the part (Azag figured any who tried their best were probably amidst the merchants, properly unnoticed by him).

All this to say, they were enough to keep him entertained, he was on his second copy of Gundiver’s Trail of the Reverent Span, a recent addition to his wares, when he heard a couple of steps past where his warning bell should have sounded, prompting him to reach toward a concealed pistol below the desk, raise his eyes and put it back, the face that mocked his security cheerful, tired, but known.

“Slow day, is it?” Nephi initiated the conversation and poked at some of his most mobile equipment, Back during the long voyages Azag’s talent for stargazing and reading maps often forced him into the Crow’s nest, where one too many experiences alone against hordes of flying beasties convinced him to stay away from fighting, it was thus not odd for old fighting pals to come to the store for no particular reason, it was odd for them to come on drill day…

“Not for you, right?” he raised an eyebrow quizzically.

Nephi raised a finger up, as if expecting such a prompt
    “I’m on leave, you see…” She walked a bit back, and swung her left "leg" up and down, calling attention to it “...I lost a leg”

Azag saw the mottled gray thing, then his plume and inks and quickly decided on which was more interesting, grabbing a stool for himself and one to prop the leg up “You know, Urn came spouting about your new leg and I thought he was pulling mine” “Heh, Shows what you know”

Azag inspected the leg more with morbid curiosity than with any scientific leanings, all he could really gleam was it was bulky, scaly and icky (the only technical terminology he knew to heart) to the touch.

“See what you are missing out on out there?” Nephi shot, taking advantage of the unusually impressed cartographer.

“Ha, yeah, Why wouldn’t I want to lose my leg?”

This seemed to lower Nephi’s mood, or at least bring back some silence while he prodded, she looked around the store like one is wont to do, regardless of how many times she had been there before, the process lasted until a question left out of its own volition “So, how is the little one?”

Azag had ignored the silence for the sake of his curiosity, but the question brought him back, it was their good climate, huh?. Nephi said it when she was desperate for him to talk and Azag obliged, pretending to ignore how clearly uncomfortable his son made her, still, he needed to vent. “How do you think he is? unconsolable, like most of them”

Nephi frowned, clearly not getting what she expected. “What?”

“Looks like you missed a few things too. Anyone too young to pick up a shield was made to throw their favorite toys to fire, it was the old toy horse for him, easy to tell…” there was no attempt to hide the bile

“What? Why??”

“See any new faces in the drill?” Nephi pondered, she hadn’t really gotten too far before someone told her getting a new leg right away didn’t mean she was clear for training, what new faces were there? faces… She lifted a nearby metal sheet meant for a hardened map and raised it to her face, tapping twice with a clank.

“Right”

“And you just went ahead with it??”

“Well, you know how it is, I hear Osull’s fellows were near mutiny at the order, since almost all had families, but Daghir talked the rattling shields down to grumbles”

Nephi’s face reeked of anger, and she moved her stool closer to his side, signaling a steer in the conversation to this anger, though knowing the cartographer raised the misshapen limb on his lap, it was what started the chat after all.

“We go out to save a bunch of ungrateful grays and this is what I come back to!?”

Azag sighs “Gets better, heard Butterfly is dropping the chip in for defense pretense, anyone on his area is getting “minimum donations” next month”

“And the others are just letting him get away with it!!??”

“You know the guy’s spine, if he is doing it, they approve”

Nephi was positively fuming now, a slew of insults bolting forth to solemn nods from the cartographer who was much too busy looking behind the scales, though he could tell the anger reshaping as she caught her breath…

“...Let’s leave”

Azag smiled “I know the place is dead at this hour, but I can’t leave the shop willy nilly, a gray or two does come and if I leave the gun in sight they don’t haggle, figure your leg should do the trick too”

“I don’t mean the store, I mean here”

Eyes widened “You can’t be serious”

“never been more serious”

“Doesn’t sound it to me”

“Why not? next ship you sell a map to…” “The currents are crazy these days, I never expect them to come back…” “We don’t want to be back… somewhere else in the city?” “To the ungrateful Grays?” “The countryside then, we can manage…” “The countryside left you like that already” “That’s right! the gardeners!” “... No” “...Just no?” “have you seen your leg? No” a pair of dams could be heard cracking

“What happened to you Azag!!?? we used to brave the world, you and me… Talia… Are you so cowed to leave your neck forever a carpet to step on? we can handle what’s out there!!”

“Its never just the two of us, anywhere but here is too dangerous for Tall”

“I meant us three… I know it’ll be three now, but It’ll work out”

“We have always been three”

“Yeah… yeah, I know that…” She lowered the leg and started shuffling out “I’ll leave you to work, place looks busy…”

“Heh, being the best mapmaker in the city does that to you”

“Sure you are…” She said in a mockery of mockery and left. Silence clung to the store as it hadn’t before the visit, the stools heavy as he moved them to place. Eyes heavy as he struggled to care about the maps. Crying wasn’t a matter of concern for his western kin, but it was to him, he had cried enough. Talia was gone, Nephi (in his eyes) hated the kid, who looked too much like her sister… And he thought Nephi looked like her too… It’ll be simpler if he could hate her, really… a few salty drops joined to make the sloppy map even worse, it was never enough.

Barbarian-Spiritual-Martial

PCs

Spoiler: The Witch Doctors
    Show
    Greetings wronged ones,

We have heard that you are in talks with Chouvrian of the dead, if you would let us pact with him instead, we would be open to many things, just name them.

Gulldr's Warmth,
    -Solyom, Leviatan.

Show
    What it says on the the tin, I want to start getting some use of my passive and haven't been able to find a god of my own.

Spoiler: Gardeners of the Inmortal Flesh
    Show
    Cousin of the flesh,

As we are glad of your crafts cousin, though hopefully such danger avoid us as we struggle to avoid them.

Big question, that of want. I have no secrets, I want unity of my kin, and then perhaps for you easterners to know the gods that showed me such a path. I can't speak for the rest, the business with the knight is dreary. But I trust my fellows, and I ask you trust them too.

Azagar's thought,
    Solyom, Leviatan.

Spoiler: Bloodsworn Shaitan
    Show
    The Gudite representative is far more at ease when she finds herself able to come and go, though she always has her weapons up, she is no longer jumping at shadows, and she actually went out of her way to apologize to the shadow that suffered that, she still didn't like having to return and it was clear, but she delivered her message in a note

"I suggest the eastern Guilds (30+), if you really care to avoid more enemies."

NPCs

Spoiler: Pontifex-eye of heaven
    Show
    Daghir makes a small vow in the direction of the eye when she hears the reply, and returns her own "In that case, he and his own will now move closer to their servants in this realm"

Spoiler: House Aranea
    Show
    Esteemed Sinchi Aklasumaq,

As you can see, no such others dare disturb the dead's peace. Only the Clan Fuxi, whose trifling god the spider has nothing to fear from.

We were wondering what the appropiate donations to Aranea's coffers would be to allow for your ruinwalkers to join us.

Azagar's Thought,

Show
    so, do they take anything below 1:1?

Last edited by neriractor; 2022-08-30 at 09:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Witch-Doctors
    Mercenary * Mercantile * Spiritual

Spoiler: Gudite Warcamp Mor 2
    Show

Friends,

We mean you no disrespect, and do not wish to turn away your offer without due consideration.

But the Elder in question has offered us protection when we are most exposed and asks that of which we hold in little value in return. It is unlikely you can make a suitable counter-offer, though we are willing to hear you out.

The Baron,
    Dictated to His Vessel, Antoine duLac.

Show

I really like this spirit pact thematically and mechanically and hadn't considered trading it away. But, if you want to negotiate, that's The Witch-Doctors' thing, so go for it.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Heron and Hippo
    Otherwordly, Martial, Mercenary

Minoo walks through the corridors o the Hall of Judgement slowly. Leaning most of her weight on the cane, and stopping every so often to rest. Even in her heavy grey robes she felt so cold.Finally she reaches the main hall and slowly takes her place at the main desk. She starts when she realizes the statue of justice overseeing the proceedings is actually of her. Where had Hormoz, it must have been Hormoz, gotten that.

Well no matter. She had more important things to attend to. She clears her throat and begins speaking. She does not raise her voice, but every judge, clerk, and petitioner hears her, and they turn almost involuntarily.

"Lagamal, we call on you now. Hear now the case of the Knight, champion of the witch doctors."

The hall trembles and suddenly it is far far bigger than before. The witnesses shudder as their bones ache with cold and they see a vast figure looming in the distance though they cannot make out its features.

"I give you the Knight, spirit and mortal bound as one. Their souls linked in death." The ghostly form of the dead knight appears looking much as they did in life. A towering turtle figure limmed in blue flame. "I bring this case today as the Advocate for the Dead. I have heard their tales and weighed their soul. I see no great crimes and no great virtues. This spirit sought only to help the city, but their time was ended before they could accomplish their goals."

"Still an early death is no crime. Great Lagamal, I ask that you grant this soul clemency. Allow them to go to their final rest."

The great figure looks at Minoo, and the Knight, and the witnesses. Something that they will be forever scarred into their minds. It considers for long moments, and then finally "GRANTED"

A great wind blows through the Hall carrying the form of the Knight away, and scattering the legal documents on every desk. By the time the judges and clerks have looked back from grabbing their papers the massive figure is gone and Minoo is carefully walking out of the Hall with only the tapping of her cane to accompany her.