New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default What are your favorite silly interactions of rules?

My current favorite is from the thread about upcasting fog cloud. Ranged attacks at long range incur disadvantage. Placing a fog cloud between you and the target incurs disadvantage (you can't see them) and also advantage (they can't see you), and everything cancels out - resulting in it being easier to shoot through a fog cloud than it is to shoot without it being there.

Obviously I don't expect these rules to act this way in actual play, that's why we have a DM - but they're funny to talk about regardless!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: What are your favorite silly interactions of rules?

The Goblin Boss can use a reaction to make a nearby goblin take an attack aimed at them....but it doesn't say it needs to be a friendly goblin! Obviously, this was before goblins were PC options, but it's such a funny visual.
    The DMG does not mandate 6-8 encounters per day.

3. - Top - End - #3

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    The Goblin Boss can use a reaction to make a nearby goblin take an attack aimed at them....but it doesn't say it needs to be a friendly goblin! Obviously, this was before goblins were PC options, but it's such a funny visual.
    That would be such a mean thing to do as a DM!

takes notes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In Ghosts of Salt Marsh, ship collision rules make no distinction between ships moving under their own power and ships being moved by other means, and the damages being dealt by these collisions are... quite high. The core implication of this: by simply carrying a basic rowboat into another creature's space, you can deal that creature more damage than you would by actually attacking them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Azuresun View Post
    If a PC goblin attacks a Goblin Boss, the Goblin Boss can actually switch places with that same goblin, and make it get hit by its own attack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Before the printing of demon lords there wasn't a NPC you couldn't kill with enough caltrops and forced movement. slamming a ghost into them worked as wall as taking out big T.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Before the printing of demon lords there wasn't a NPC you couldn't kill with enough caltrops and forced movement. slamming a ghost into them worked as wall as taking out big T.
    The Tarrasque is immune to nonmagical piercing damage though.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The Tarrasque is immune to nonmagical piercing damage though.
    Nope. Immunity from non magical piercing attacks which caltrops don't use. Also can be repeatedly proned with ball bearings thanks to it's dismal dex.

Speaking of prone. The faster you are the "longer" it takes you to stand up.
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2022-08-05 at 06:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by questionmark693 View Post
    My current favorite is from the thread about upcasting fog cloud. Ranged attacks at long range incur disadvantage. Placing a fog cloud between you and the target incurs disadvantage (you can't see them) and also advantage (they can't see you), and everything cancels out - resulting in it being easier to shoot through a fog cloud than it is to shoot without it being there.

Obviously I don't expect these rules to act this way in actual play, that's why we have a DM - but they're funny to talk about regardless!
    When I DM I usually count disadvantages and advantages. So if you have 2 sources of disadvantage and 1 source of advantage the advantage cancels out just one source of disadvantage.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    In Ghosts of Salt Marsh, ship collision rules make no distinction between ships moving under their own power and ships being moved by other means, and the damages being dealt by these collisions are... quite high. The core implication of this: by simply carrying a basic rowboat into another creature's space, you can deal that creature more damage than you would by actually attacking them.
    But a rowboat is not a ship. Throwing a folding boat and speaking the command word though...
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The Rune Knight's Giant's Might feature makes you Large. It doesn't matter what size you were before, you are now large. This makes small races viable grapplers, whereas before they weren't a good choice due to size restrictions on grappling.

But wait. The fairy gets Enlarge/Reduce as a racial spell, which makes you Huge while Giant's Might is active. And they can fly, which is great for killing via fall damage (especially against other flying creatures, which are a traditional weakness of melee combatants, which grapplers are). And they're a small race.

A 5th level fairy Rune Knight already has everything they need to be a monstrous grappler, able to grapple literally anything (that isn't expressly immune to being grappled). You can even dip out of fighter after 3rd level, going into monk or rogue (or both) for more speed or other interesting features. Sticking with fighter does have benefits, such as a 3rd and 4th attack, and the ability to grow to Huge without Enlarge/Reduce.

And all of this only works because Giant's Might just straight up makes you Large. Without that, fairies would be suboptimal grapplers. Better to just take a flying race that is already Medium sized without needing to use a 1/day racial spell.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

An un-classed human with Str 9 or less cannot injure anything with its unarmed strikes. They can stand there all day whaling on someone, punching and kicking, and not actually physically damage them at all.
    Last edited by RSP; 2022-08-05 at 09:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

My favorite silly rule is the RAW for Revivify. The spell reads "Touch a creature that has died within the last minute." However corpses are objects and not creatures. Therefore RAW Revivify would be more accurately named as Diamond Eater or something.

Obviously RAI everyone knows exactly what the spell does and it works just fine. I've never seen or heard of anyone actually seriously advocating that it doesn't work. And I would be absolutely shocked if a real DM tried to pull the corpse is an object not a creature BS during actual play. But in terms of needing to cleanup rules language and put in consistency, it's a great example.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Super advantage with Lucky.

1. Close your eyes and attack.
    2. You have disadvantage from not being able to see the target.
    3. Use Lucky. You roll another d20 and get to pick any of them.
    4. You can now replicate Elven Accuracy on demand 3x per day.

Does not work with Rogue since it is still disadvantage, but still a hilarious combo.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

vehicle proficiencies are tool proficiencies
    warforged and artificers both have options to integrate a tool they're proficient with into their armor.

Oh yeah. It's time.

Tool proficiency: WATER VEHICLES. You now have a boat up your sleeve. Or perhaps more accurately, you're a transformer.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Things I find silly:

A familiar can't attack but it can help attack. That's stupid. If you can't do a thing then you aren't going to be any help in doing the thing.

Naps heal serious wounds. Impaled by a sword? Nap. Horribly burnt? Nap. Trod on by an elephant? Nap.

Fall damage is capped. Fall from an airship at 10,000ft? Get up and walk away. Have a nap to recover.

Lucky feat and disadvantage.

Quarterstaff works with polearm mastery.

Darkvision is magic.

Quote Originally Posted by questionmark693 View Post
    resulting in it being easier to shoot through a fog cloud than it is to shoot without it being there.
    I'm not seeing that. Shooting normally is at, well, normal. Shooting through a fog cloud is at normal. No difference.

Here's an experiment to try. Get a mate and a couple of newspaper swords. Spend 30 seconds having a combat and count how many serious hits both of you land. Now blindfold both of you, and repeat the combat. How different is the number?
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Don't waste time making rolls on things that aren't interesting. Move on and get to the good stuff.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post

I'm not seeing that. Shooting normally is at, well, normal. Shooting through a fog cloud is at normal. No difference.
    Shooting at long range, however, is at disadvantage. Shooting at long range through a fog cloud is back to normal. Do you think your long range accuracy at a shooting/archery range would improve via blindfolds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Naps heal serious wounds. Impaled by a sword? Nap. Horribly burnt? Nap. Trod on by an elephant? Nap.
    This bothers me less: your current physical health is represented by your HP+HD, so as long as the HD are still missing the "wound" is still there, you just aren't in danger of going into shock and passing out because of it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Shooting at long range, however, is at disadvantage. Shooting at long range through a fog cloud is back to normal. Do you think your long range accuracy at a shooting/archery range would improve via blindfolds?
    This of it this way: Your accuracy is already low. Fog cloud isnt affecting your aim, sine youre already guessing a bit. Its affecting your target's ability to dodge.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Impaled by a sword? Dead. Horribly Burnt? Dead. Trod on my an elephant? ... not sure, maybe broken bones.

Your problem is you're representing the loss of hit points as something horrifically traumatic. Horrifically traumatic things occur when you die. Not when you take damage or for PCs even when you drop to 0 hps.

Lucky feat and disadvantage.
    Thats just SAC being wrong.

Quarterstaff works with polearm mastery.
    Quarterstaffs being versatile weapons instead of 2H weapons. For that matter, spears shouldn't be possible to use effectively one handed in skirmish combat, unless they're supposed to represent half-spears or something.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

There are some silly interactions which has become the actual way the game is played.
    The worst IMHO being crossbow expert, i read and re-read the feat, and its absolutely clear to me that they wanted to implement a sword and crossbow close combat style of fighting (which would have been awesome), but the feats is written so badly that now we have
    "When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding."
    With one handed weapon -> the very same crossbow with which it's referred in the second part of the phrase.
    The way the phrase is worded, its is clear that the "one handed weapon" and "a hand crossbow you are holding" are supposed to be two different weapons, but RAW the only way to make this mess work is
    "When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon a hand crossbow, you can use a bonus action to attack with a the hand crossbow you are holding."
    So now we get hand crossbows being special weapons shooting faster than short bows for some reasons, the very game developers confirmed that (IMHO just because of laziness on changing the rules), and the result is one of the most abused feats in optimized play.
    Tell me if it doesn't sound silly
    Last edited by Selion; 2022-08-06 at 08:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

No :) ... but the target can't see that arrow coming now :)

Is the disadvantage for long range due to reduced accuracy or because the creature can't see the attack coming and move aside? Or a combination of both?

Being able to see an incoming attack wouldn't have any effect on attacks if the target wasn't able to react to what they see in some way ...
    Last edited by Keravath; 2022-08-06 at 09:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    No :) ... but the target can't see that arrow coming now :)

Is the disadvantage for long range due to reduced accuracy or because the creature can't see the attack coming and move aside? Or a combination of both?

Being able to see an incoming attack wouldn't have any effect on attacks if the target wasn't able to react to what they see in some way ...
    YMMV, but if I were aiming at a target that may or may not be moving, not being able to see it probably hurts more than it helps

I can understand the justification, I just agree with the OP in that the way the rules are presented, mutual blindness can have some weird edge cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Elves can’t train at what’s represented by the Perception skill.

All other races can train at it, and get better at it. Elves can’t. They’re born with an innate ability in it; but, regardless of them living 700 years, they can’t train at it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post

All other races can train at it, and get better at it. Elves can’t. They’re born with an innate ability in it; but, regardless of them living 700 years, they can’t train at it.
    Remember that both calling for a check and the meaning of success are up to the DM. You can make your elves see further than any other race in the party if you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post

I don't understand what you mean?
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

27. - Top - End - #27

Fall damage is capped.
    Hey now, that one's in real life (via terminal velocity).
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Darkness, both magical and non-magical: By RAW, regular old darkness is treated the same way as a thick fog. Makes for some long discussion threads here on the forum.

Surprise and Initiative: Because surprise is now a condition instead of a surprise round, and due to how combat encounter rules work, you can surprise a creature, have them go first in combat, and stop being surprised before they even know you're there.

Invisibility: You know where an invisible creature is, unless they hide. You have disadvantage to attack them if you can't see them, even if they're grappled by you.

Grappling: According to RAW, you can only grapple a creature no more than 1 size category larger than you. Additionally, there are no penalties for trying to grapple a larger creature than you. If you successfully grapple a creature, you can drag them at half your movement speed. This means a regular old Spider, which is a Tiny beast, can technically grapple a Halfling, which is a small Humanoid, and potentially drag them off, provided the Spider succeeds in its Athletics check with a -4.

As for the Fog Cloud...I mean, when I DM I allow it. Its an odd strategy, but its a strategy that works XD I've used it on players, and players have used it on me.

EDIT: So, I'm pretty sure this one was fixed, or was clarified to not work, but Sharpshooter has an odd thing, specifically with its final point. "Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage."

Now, do you see the important bit? Here, let me contrast it with Great Weapon Master, "Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage."

Do you see it? Here, let me highlight it "Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with" versus "Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with". Sharpshooter doesn't, or didn't, require you to make a Ranged attack for its -5/+10. Heavy and Ranged are both weapon properties, which technically remain even if you use them as an improved weapon. Tavern Brawler gives you proficiency in Improvised Weapons.

So for a little while at least, you could bash someone over the head for a -10 to hit and +20 to damage. Not at all intended by the way, and there have been many clarifications that it does not work...but by RAW, it technically works. Or worked, if they changed RAW.
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2022-08-07 at 12:50 AM.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Invisibility: You know where an invisible creature is, unless they hide. You have disadvantage to attack them if you can't see them, even if they're grappled by you.
    It's worse than that, I'm afraid. You have disadvantage even if you can see them. Being invisible makes it so you can't be seen, but it also as a completely separate effect imposes disadvantage on attacks against you (and grants advantage on your attacks). Any ability that allows you to see invisible creatures but doesn't fully remove the invisible condition still has you making attacks at disadvantage against them. By the way, the blinded condition works the same way. I have a strong suspicion that these conditions were written before the rules for being unseen, and so those effects were baked into those conditions despite them being redundant with the rules for being unseen.

If your DM doesn't look at that and immediately say, "That's dumb, we're not doing that," then you might consider finding a new DM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Hey now, that one's in real life (via terminal velocity).
    While that's true, the cap itself is the issue, i.e. falling from orbit is easily survivable by most high-level characters. I think the Improvising Damage rules work a bit better as they scale more strongly with tier. I would use the listed fall damage or the Deadly damage for that tier for an extreme fall, whichever is higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)