New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Trying to find a monster of Native American myth…I think

I’m looking for the name of a monster that takes the form of a body of water to lure people to drink it. At which point it eats them.Forgot what it is called.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Trying to find a monster of Native American myth…I think

Hmm. That doesn't ring a bell. There's both the Mishibizhiw and the Ogopogo as water monsters, but neither turned into a pool of water. There's the Atunkai, which would draw you into a body of water and transform you into an Atunkai yourself.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Hmm. That doesn't ring a bell. There's both the Mishibizhiw and the Ogopogo as water monsters, but neither turned into a pool of water. There's the Atunkai, which would draw you into a body of water and transform you into an Atunkai yourself.
    Hmm ok. I tried finding out on my own. Couldn’t find any. Supposedly it turns into a lake and eats people who think it’s refreshing. It would sound like a legit monster right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure about the original source, but this sounds a lot like the aballin from the Forgotten Realms, in particular the 3.0 supplement Monsters of Faerűn. It's an ooze that mimics clear water and envelops anything that comes near.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Never heard of it, but now it's my headcanon for what becomes of a cornered squonk that literally bursts into tears as a defense mechanism.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by creepyeye View Post
    I’m looking for the name of a monster that takes the form of a body of water to lure people to drink it. At which point it eats them.Forgot what it is called.
    Quite a few to be found here, but I don't think there are any which specifically masquerade as water.
    http://www.native-languages.org/legends-water.htm
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

One of my favourite online resources is the Book of Creatures.

Under Rivers and Ponds, it has the Xicalcoatl, a snake which grows a painted cup full of chocolate on its back. It hides under water, only the cup showing, then eats people who try to take the cup. not exactly what you described, but interesting.

https://abookofcreatures.com/categor...-river/page/7/

Sadly, the Book of Creatures is ungodly huge, and sometimes hard to navigate. Perhaps if you have a closer idea where it's from? It's not under creatures of the American Southwest.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-08-13 at 06:22 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    One of my favourite online resources is the Book of Creatures.

Under Rivers and Ponds, it has the Xicalcoatl, a snake which grows a painted cup full of chocolate on its back. It hides under water, only the cup showing, then eats people who try to take the cup. not exactly what you described, but interesting.

https://abookofcreatures.com/categor...-river/page/7/

Sadly, the Book of Creatures is ungodly huge, and sometimes hard to navigate. Perhaps if you have a closer idea where it's from? It's not under creatures of the American Southwest.
    I was thinking maybe a Native American monster from North America. Idk all I remember is that it’s a monster that takes the form of water. So it then eats people who think it’s water

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by creepyeye View Post
    I was thinking maybe a Native American monster from North America. Idk all I remember is that it’s a monster that takes the form of water. So it then eats people who think it’s water
    I can't recall which tribe it's from, but I think it's just called Water Monster.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.