New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Should I dip sorc with this wildfire druid build or not?

Hey so the build I am running is going to be an Arcana Cleric/Wildfire Druid, stats are point buy and due to some constraints in the worldbuilding/rp I am kinda stuck with being a Human or Custom Lineage....not the worst things to be stuck with but ::shrug::

Further context is that metal armor IS allowed for druid in this campaign, and I will be using metal medium armor. Also my starting feat will be Resilient Con. I will be taking Warcaster at Druid 4 Anyway with that out of the way I see 2 ways to go with this build, it is either to have these starting stats (after bonus feat-res con):

8-str 14-dex 16-con 8-int 17-wis 8-cha, (with 2 points left over for either a 10 int or 10 cha, just for rp reasons)

Anyway, in this world, I would start with level 1 in Arcana Cleric for Firebolt and Green Flame Blade, and progress the rest of the way in Wildfire Druid. I had considered life cleric for lifeberry but the DM is iffy on that, and I'd rather not push on things like that.

The second path has my stats as such after the bonus feat (res con):
    9-str 14-dex 14-con 8-int 17-wis 13-cha

In this world, I'd go level 1 Arcana Cleric/5 Wildfire Druid/1 Divine Soul Sorcerer/ X Druid

This gets me the full suite of Absorb Elements, Shield and Silvery Barbs as protective reactions as well as further helps with my saves thanks to the Divine Soul Feature, and frees up a cleric prep slot since I can choose law to have Bless known.

Anyway, I see a lot of advantages in both, I like having access to the extra defensive utility, and I know druid spells can upcast well. Though is that worth the trade in 1 point of my con saves and 1 hp per level as well as slower access to my higher spell slots? Anyway, I can't wait to hear y'alls thoughts and I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Should I dip sorc with this wildfire druid build or not?

Theoretically, yes, this is a good dip. You'll be able to upcast Conjure Animals and other Conjure spells which will keep you at a relevant power level despite being a full spells-known level behind, and you gain all the benefits you've already discussed. Practically, it depends, because if you're upcasting anything other than Conjure Animals (and later Conjure Woodland Beings/Conjure Fey) then you are absolutely going to feel the power level hit. So this assumes three things: 1) the DM won't be overly antagonistic about what you Conjure (i.e. they won't be giving you CR 0 fish or similar), 2) you/your table will be able to run the spells efficiently enough to avoid bogging down the game, and 3) the other players at the table are going to be ok with you casting these spells on a regular basis.

Most tables you don't actually have to worry that much, and you can e.g. upcast Tasha's Summon spells and be just fine if the Conjure spells aren't fun for the DM/other players. But from an strict optimization standpoint it's mainly the power of upcast Conujre Animals that justifies the delay in your spells known progression.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Should I dip sorc with this wildfire druid build or not?

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    Theoretically, yes, this is a good dip. You'll be able to upcast Conjure Animals and other Conjure spells which will keep you at a relevant power level despite being a full spells-known level behind, and you gain all the benefits you've already discussed. Practically, it depends, because if you're upcasting anything other than Conjure Animals (and later Conjure Woodland Beings/Conjure Fey) then you are absolutely going to feel the power level hit. So this assumes three things: 1) the DM won't be overly antagonistic about what you Conjure (i.e. they won't be giving you CR 0 fish or similar), 2) you/your table will be able to run the spells efficiently enough to avoid bogging down the game, and 3) the other players at the table are going to be ok with you casting these spells on a regular basis.

Most tables you don't actually have to worry that much, and you can e.g. upcast Tasha's Summon spells and be just fine if the Conjure spells aren't fun for the DM/other players. But from an strict optimization standpoint it's mainly the power of upcast Conujre Animals that justifies the delay in your spells known progression.
    Thanks for the reply!

Anyway, so that kinda meshes with my thinking. It is the conjure spells that allow the build to get way with doing the second dip. With that said I don't believe I'll have issues with the DM nerfing conjure animals, essentially the way they run it is we create a list together and I can choose from those animals when I cast the spell. I don't know the exact list yet, but unless the list is an active attempt at nerfing the spell (which isn't this DM's M.O.) I believe it should be sufficiently powerful/versatile to use the upcast slots well. I have run summons efficiently in other campaigns and tend to plan out my turns ahead of time so I think we should be fine on that front, further this will be in a campaign with a smaller party (a total of 3 pcs including myself) so that should help with the bogging things down. I cant imagine the other players minding me casting conjure animals frequently, however, if the spell does become odious I know the DM well enough that I am sure I can respec the character if that particular playstyle becomes an issue. Given that, unless I am missing something (and please let me know if you think I have missed something), I believe the dip to be the correct choice.
    Last edited by Petelo4f; 2022-08-09 at 09:26 PM.