New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default ANY 4e Campaign IC

Roll thread. OOC thread. Battlemap Link.

Highmoon is a notable merchant center showing off both the independence of the Dalelands it is a part of and the achievements that can be seen when humans and elves work together. Inside the town walls sit fancy drinking establishments and merchant connections that could take you out of the Dalelands, through Sembia, and through the Sea of Stars. Recent news is about the robbery from a carriage that had turned out to be carrying high value magical regents and scrolls: items that could keep for quite a while and be doled out slowly by the robbers without arising too much suspicion.

Outside the walls, where commerce has spread orchards and houses, sits the Badger's Head Inn. Its a bit small and run-down, but the family that runs it is perfectly pleasant and it can get crowded with both travelers and locals some nights of the week. The beds are a bit expensive, but it is directly next to a stable and the owners have a few more buildings off the road and around the corner to serve as extra rooms.

Its is currently the middle of the workday so business is fairly slow. Nonetheless, you and some strangers have gathered here, whether passing through or on their days off.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-11 at 10:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: ANY 4e Campaign IC

Aahz will head to the bar, slouching and putting a bit of a limp in his step. "Ah, my beloved barkeep! Great to see ya! Hey, don't suppose there's a drink and lunch on the house for your favorite patron? Been a rough mornin' for these old bones and I'd love to help wash dishes later once I've got my strength back..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker is at the bar and witnessed this exchange. You can do that? She turns to the barkeep and says I bet I can wash more dishes than this guy! She has already had enough food fit for 3 human meals this morning.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Dwilla looks over to the antics, and shakes her head a little. She's a bit bemused at them, but stays quiet-they're acting silly, but harmless.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The barkeep shakes his head, cleaning off another mug while he's not slammed. "We don't have enough dishes since you polished them last night. Although for keeping that drunk off Maria last night I'd say you're paid up for the night."

He turns to Highstriker, "I don't think I own enough dishes for you to make a competition out of it. Want another helping?"

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz flashes his toothy grin. "Ah, you are so generous friend! To be honest I think the kid did the hard part but I'm happy to do my part keepin' the peace. I'll take ale and whatever meat you're roastin' today! "

He turns to Highstriker and sizes her up. "My, yes, I have no doubt you'd get the better of me in almost any competition. I know everyone around here but I'm sure I haven't seen you around. Name's Aahz'morandcular, but my friends call my Aahz and you should too! What brings you to Highmoon?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

The look of disappointment on her face is plain to see… if you can read a Goliath woman’s facial expressions. I came looking for competition because I was weary of the tedious life caring for my tribe. Hunt a bear here. Fight a mongoose there. It got so dull. So far my search for challenge has been fruitless. She looks pointedly at the aged tiefling in front of her. I heard there is promise of vanquishing bandits nearby, which tantalizes my interests.

To the barkeep: Of course I do. These muscles require much sustenance. The trouble is my coins can’t keep up with my stomach. How much do I owe already?

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz nods at the Goliath woman sympathetically. "Yes lass, that sounds un-bearable. I can assure you Highmoon is never boring. I've heard those whispers myself about bandits taking a king's ransom in magical ingredients. Sounds like quite the score...but also an awful lot of work for an old Demon like me. But with the right muscle and talent...well..."

Aahz can't help but clock the Dragonborn nearby. He motions to Dwilla. "Speaking of talent - you exude it my golden friend! The bar's full of interesting sorts today eh? Come, join us. Are you in Highmoon looking for some challenge too?"

9. - Top - End - #9

"Family," she says simply, at least to start. "Mother, and father, and uncles, and aunts... I love them dearly, but gods above, let a lass live a little, eh?"

She chuckles a bit. "I miss them already, but I guarantee you I'd be clawing at the walls were I still there. I've not heard talk of the bandits our tall friend mentioned, though. I wouldn't mind lending a hand to deal with them-I hate bullies."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Which muscle is the right muscle? Is it this one? She will flex her right arm and point to the bicep. Or this one? She will stick out her left leg and indicate her thigh with a flex. Eh, no matter. I am certain I have the right muscle for the job.

Leaning over to peek at Dwilla: I bet the walls didn’t last long with those claws. Come, we shall vanquish these bullies together! Turning to the barkeep, Uh, where do we find these, erm, bullies?

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz's eyes gleam as Dwilla talks, and his grin widens at Highstriker's response. "Ah, perfect! If you'll permit these old bones to tag along I might be a bit of help - although I suspect that one look at you two and these thugs will just surrender outright!"

Aahz will chime in towards the barkeep. I can't imagine you know where these bullies are friend, but have you heard more about who might be looking to get those goods back? And what they might be paying?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The barkeep shrugs, "They're saying the robbery was of a coach from the Wizard's Chest Trading Company. if you want to know for yourselves, I'd ask at their fancy new office at the corner of Deeping Run Street and White Arrow's Way. Its the one with the shingles magicked pink." He takes a moment to glance around enticingly before continuing in a slightly quieter voice. "Rumor going about is that they've gotten away with a bunch of magical weapons and an ancient treasure they were planning on selling to the Sage of Shadowdale or an archmage in Sembia or some powerful necromancer--you know how it changes with each telling. I doubt they stole more than a glowing sword and a bit of gold myself, but you never know."
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-11 at 02:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rather quietly entering the common room from the rooms upstairs is a small, slender child with long, wavy reddish brown hair and mysterious hazel eyes. She is dressed in plain clothing consisting of a green shirt, blue pants, a hooded red cloak which partially conceals a backpack and a pair of black boots.

The young human girl who was shorter than about 4 feet by a few inches headed to one of the tables in an isolated corner and sat down. She noticed that the table was somewhat dirty so she waved her hand over it and somehow miraculously became clean. Then she ordered her usual beef stew and tea.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz nods, stroking his messy beard. "Welp, sounds like that's our stop. What do you two say? Feelin' like talkin' to some fancy wizard folks to get some leads and a promise of payment?"

He'll also lean in to whisper to the barkeep as Dwilla and Highstriker think it over. "Hey, and make sure the kid's food is on my tab, eh? You know I'm good for it!"

Aahz will briefly excuse himself. "Hey, while you two mull it over - I'm gonna go get my stuff and take care of...ya know, business". He'll walk over to Maria and nod, leaning nearby but not sitting with her. "Mornin, kid! Was a bit worried about ya. Think I've got us a lead on a job and some muscle so we don't get quite as bruised this time. Whaddya think? Wanna stretch that magic mojo or feelin' like you need to keep your head down?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Since the death of her parents Maria has never been the same. She was always at times boisterous and happy but since then she has been quiet, moody and reserved. Time heals but it would be a long time before she could recover. For now she was just going through the motions. In the past few months she at least has been more functional beyond that of crying in bed and answering others emotionlessly out of instinct or necessity. Now for a brief moment there is a bit of glint in her eye and maybe a little bit of mischievousness emerging from her current stupor and stoicness.

"What kind of job?"

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Well some bandits have apparently knocked over a cache of gear from that Wizard's Chest trading company. Now I don't have us a payday lined up juuuust yet, but I'm thinking we go, find these bandits, maybe get you and me some magical munitions, return the rest for a tidy profit! Oh and make the roads safe for merchant folk too of course.

Best part is - you see that big giant lass there and the gold scaled dragonborn? I think they're in and mostly for the fun of it! They seem strong, friendly, and…agreeable. So win-win-win in my book, eh?"
    . Aahz can hardly keep his enthusiasm in check - he's almost jumping at the thought of what he thinks is going to be an easy paycheck.

"Plus I think some do-gooding will do you good kid. And some scrolls or whatnot might keep ya safer. I'm gonna go talk to our new colleagues - eat up and let's go! Gonna need that genius prodigy brain of yours to talk to these wizard folk for leads and make sure we get a fair price for our work."

With that, Aahz saunters back over to the bar, grinning ear to ear as he returns.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker is licking the last morsels out of the bowl with her finger. She’s made up her mind to go looking for these bandits and she will need every last bit of food before heading into the wild. She can hunt easily enough, but she is far more interested in accomplishing something more meaningful than cooking.

Now she looks puzzled as Aahz walks back. That youngling does not look like your kin. Where is its brood? Lovia thinks to herself, surely this guy is not planning to bring a frail human child on a dangerous quest. Maybe he is as foolish as he seems.

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfClericGuy

"Ah, well, thats complicated. And not really my story to tell. I'm as close as she's got to a…brood…for now at least.

But don't worry about it! Trust me on this - the greatest mages of Candlekeep couldn't hold a candle to her. I'm the charm, but she's the firepower I'm bringing to the table. We're kind of a package deal.

Plus its all totally safe! If they don't surrender at the sight of you two, they will when they see the lightshow. And then my talkin' will do the rest. Easy breezey!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Old Tiefling adopted young human. Acknowledged. Highstriker still thinks it’s weird but doesn’t care enough to keep that train of thought on track.

She will stand and pick up the great sword that was leaning against the counter next to her. She uses one hand to re-sheath it on her back while she gulps down the last of her beverage. I am ready to leave at once. What say you, Goldie? Do you wish to join this quest?

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfClericGuy

"Ooh, uummm…well I dunno if adopted is the right…yeah. Okay. Acknowledged. Good." Aahz's bluster and bravado falters for a moment and he looks to the ground before getting his confidence back.
    Yeah, good! You in?" he says, looking to Dwilla.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Welp, let me give the poor child something to eat before you go," the barkeep motions to the other worker, and she sets about fixing Maria a plate. Although I do think you should pay up your tab if you're off to fight bandits," he shoots across to Highstriker, "Three meals is 6 silver or however you can cover that worth." He's used to people paying for work in other ways, include trade goods and service.

22. - Top - End - #22

"I'm in," Dwilla says.

When the munchkin is done eating and everyone's ready to go, she pauses a moment. "I don't think we properly introduced ourselves. We should do that, before we go. I'm Dwilla."

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Excellent! My name is Lovia Highstriker Nulakukena. “Highstriker” is the honorific granted to me by my tribe’s chief. That is what you may call me, at least until I earn another.

She will place the silver on the counter in front of the barkeep as she makes her way toward the door. She’ll look back to make sure Dwilla and the tiefling are coming, since she doesn’t know exactly where to go.

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfClericGuy

Dwilla? Lovely name for a talented lass! In case you didn't catch it, the long name is Aahz'morandacular, but folks call my Aahz and that's what you should do too. Rolls off the tongue a bit easier. I'll let the kid introduce herself - she's the strong silent type though, so might take a minute!

25. - Top - End - #25

Maria ate quickly, though for a child she was very polite and somewhat tidy. But one could tell there was a sense of enthusiasm within her regarding this new job. Once done she leaves the bowl on the table with the cutlery placed neatly inside it. She then join the others.

"So where are we going first?"

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

Heading straight to Deeping Run Street, to that new pink-roofed Headquarters for the trading company. We'll figure out what was stolen, when, if they've got any leads, and most importnaly what it's worth to them for a polished and intimidating crew such as ours to go fetch it back for them! This way - I know just where we're going. Aahz strides out the door, muttering under his breath " I mean how hard can it be to find a pink-roofed magic building..."

27. - Top - End - #27

Dwilla moves along with the others. She takes a moment to catch up to Aahz, and asks quietly "The girl-can she fight? Can she keep herself safe?"

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Aahz apparently finds the task of locating a pink roofed building very difficult, and is too busy looking between the roofs and the roads to make much headway.

He has to be aided a few times by passerby and the group before you are all standing in front of the Wizard's Chest Trading Company, where a gnome in fine raiments is addressing the crowd outside. "Yes, we are very much fine, everyone. None of our incredible valuables are missing, and we strongly dislike the implication we would entrust such wares to be taken in a mere carriage when have far safer means of transport."

"Please, if you think you can aid in recovering what was stolen we would gladly look over any containers bearing our crest, but rest assured that we remain open for business and can safety deliver your magical goods to wherever you need to be." Turning to the guards at the door, who seem somewhat unnerved by the crowd, he motions to them "Our guards here are perfectly capable of removing anyone who tries to turn the news into a circus, and I do not enjoy having you here to scare off paying customers." The guards look less convinced of their ability to do anything than the gnome does, and he doesn't leave them too it.

Several food vendors appear to have move their shops over to the streets near the shops and the crowds of curious passerby and onlookers don't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere. Not helping the matter is the speaker regularly glancing away from the crowd to one particular onlooker, glaring at her, and then trying to return to calming everyone present. Another gnome, she isn't even attempting to do more than fix him in a long, angry look.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I guess the kid doesn’t have a name. Not to worry small one, soon we will find a name for you. For now we can call you “Cleaneater.”

As we go outside, Highstriker will start looking around for the pink roof that Aahz is talking about.
    Perception: (1d20+7)[26]

30. - Top - End - #30

DwarfClericGuy

After what is probably close to an hour of Hightstriker asking "is that it?" While clearly pointing out the building only for Aahz to say no, he surveys the crowd.

"Okay, yeah, noted. Listen to the lady that's a foot taller for directions next time. Highstriker you're the navigator now. But I totally found it! And I'm getting an idea here. I think that fine businessman isn't our mar…isn't our main person of interest here. No, see that seething little gnome there? She seems like she's gonna have the real scoop. We've established Highstriker should do the walking but I can still do the talking…follow my lead all

He tries to straighten his unkempt beard before approaching, a limp in his step. "Pardon me, miss. I couldn't help but notice your distress at this man's insensitive ignorance of the plight and fears of the city at this incident. I fear he'll be of no help - but perhaps me and my companions might be?