New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: ANY 4e Campaign IC

"My name is Maria.", the little girl states before the party leaves the inn.

Maria rolls her eyes at Aahz's ineptitude at finding the trading company. It seems they were lost....again. But at least he had the sense to ask for directions. The little girl personally found the color pink a ridiculous color to paint one's roof. But who was she to judge. At least it wasn't as garish as her ancestor's notorious red garb. She really isn't the silent type but her mother always taught her the best way to understand the situation was to first observe and listen, then decide and act. So she did just that. The theft of the cache caught her interest.

Maria is very curious of the actions between the two gnomes and the guards. She is very discreet of her observations of the people involved but does not restrict it to them alone but anyone else in the general vicinity looking for anything unusual or out of place or strange or suspicious behaviour.

Insight Check: (1d20+8)[24]
    Perception Check: (1d20+1)[19]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Highstriker is the first to spot the roof of the Wizard's Chest Trading Company by the high spire on the top and almost from a block away.

The lady snorts at Aahz's words. "He's not ignorant; he knows what happened. He's the one who lost the travel log that was taken. He's just trying to keep any customers from panicking until things die down again." She's loud enough to be overheard, and seems to be relishing the excuse to yell at the gnome in the doorway. "Isn't that right Lomin?"

The fellow she's talking to doesn't take the remark well, "I told you I destroyed that travel log after I copied it down! What do you want, bandits in our trash heap for the next month?" Turning back to the crowd he continues, aggrieved "Please, everyone there's no need for a crowd every morning. What are you expecting to happen?" No one seems sure, but they're liking the show between the gnomes all the same.

Maria can tell the two gnomes seem to have a strong familial resemblance, and that the guards are visibly more worried about Aahz and the gnome more than crowd in general. They aren't paying her any mind though.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post

The lady snorts at Aahz's words. "He's not ignorant; he knows what happened. He's the one who lost the travel log that was taken. He's just trying to keep any customers from panicking until things die down again." She's loud enough to be overheard, and seems to be relishing the excuse to yell at the gnome in the doorway. "Isn't that right Lomin?"

The fellow she's talking to doesn't take the remark well, "I told you I destroyed that travel log after I copied it down! What do you want, bandits in our trash heap for the next month?" Turning back to the crowd he continues, aggrieved "Please, everyone there's no need for a crowd every morning. What are you expecting to happen?" No one seems sure, but they're liking the show between the gnomes all the same.

Maria can tell the two gnomes seem to have a strong familial resemblance, and that the guards are visibly more worried about Aahz and the gnome more than crowd in general. They aren't paying her any mind though.
    "Very organized isn't he?", Maria said with a bit of sarcasm, "I think we should try to convince him to let us look at his travel logs. It may be a good place to start to looking for these thieves who have stolen the cache."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker will turn to Lomin and say, What is the purpose of copying something if you are just going to destroy the thing? This action does not seem logical. Then again, you are very small.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Lomin groans. "Faenwyn, did you drag these people here? I told you, I'm not walking around with a scroll my size when I can copy it into my ledger. If Virnelis is dead set on making every piece of paperwork into art it isn't my problem."

The other gnome, apparently called Faeneyn, sticks her tongue at him in response, which earns a chuckle from a few onlookers. One of the guards speaks up. "Sir Lightbadge, Miss Lightbadge, this isn't helping the current issue. Please, either take this inside and deal with it there, or," he pauses, possibly realizing he doesn't want to be left with the crowd, "uh, another time, perhaps?"

Neither the gnomes nor the crowd move.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-15 at 07:49 PM. Reason: tongue, not nose.

6. - Top - End - #36

Maria sighed realizing this was getting nowhere. Like any child her patience rarely knew any bounds and she was anxious to earn some coin. Her mother once told her the best way to get your point across was to not waffle around and wait at times. It was often necessary to take the bull by the horns. Showing the stubborn determination those who knew her mother was renowned for she approached and said in a direct and straightforward voice, "Look do you want your stolen cache back or not? We are willing to try and find the bandits who stole it from you and get it back. Can me and my friends speak to you inside about this?"

Diplomacy Check: (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by onlie2005; 2022-08-14 at 08:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Aahz nods in approval at Maria. "Yeah, what she said. And actually to expound on what she said...we can be very helpful to you. My crew is one of the best in the city for a gig like this. Heck I bet myself and Highstriker can even help disperse that crowd for ya!

Of course we could also help that crowd get a little...louder. heh. So, whaddya say? You wanna listen to my very reasonable young friend here?

Intimidate Check: (1d20+8)[25]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Dwilla snorts quietly, a bit amused at the situation.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker is not sure whether to look like a friend or a foe. She looks back and forth from Maria to Aahz a little confused at the social dynamics. She fidgets for a moment, then widens her stance and crosses her arms over her chest. Highstriker is probably accidentally intimidating just by her size even when she isn't trying to be.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Lomin appears convinced Faenwyn hired you. "Faenwyn, for all we know these people are the bandits." He takes a longer look at Maria. "Or at least they're willing to put a child in charge. Where'd you even find them?"

What makes you think I know them? They Just walked up!"

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

The two gnomes quiet down when Aahz steps in, and the crowd draws back slightly. Lomin notices this and seems to cheer up in response. "On the other hand, if you can help keep the onlookers from out of the shop, you might be a great help."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everything preceding this post was intended to go up last night; apologies for the error.

As Lomin is making the offer, there is a loud curse from inside the building, and then a loud boom. Lomin turns around, and panics "Fire! Fire!" "What?"

11. - Top - End - #41

Rushing towards the door, Dwilla sniffs for smoke and looks for where the fire is. Her first thoughts are to get the people out and into safety.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Before anyone is able to get their bearings, one of the creatures created--or summoned--by the blast rushes onto the tabletop and starts wailing on the creature behind the counter.

Spoiler: Attack Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+7)[19] for (1d8+5)[6] damage and the tiefling is prevented from shifting.

As a limb of solid rock hits her she shrieks in fright, apparently unprepared from the results of her mistake.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-15 at 09:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

DwarfClericGuy

HP: 25/25 // Surges: 8/8 // AC: 17 Fortitude: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 16. 1 Action point

Aahz peeks into the building to see the chaos - elementals everywhere, a fellow tiefling behind the counter. ""Lomin, you're about to owe us a lotfor saving your shop! Ugh, so much work...alright, here we go...

Aahz will charge in, drawing his battered sword and shield. Not sure if the Fire Elemental can banter or not, Aahz will try anyways. "Hey, hothead! Yeah, you're looking pretty flashy...no match for an old demon like me for sur...hiya!" Aahz will go in for a trick strike, trying to unbalance it.

Move Action: Moved 6 squares to to 015012
    Standard Action: Intuitive Strike
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9] vs Will.
    Hit: [roll]1d8[/roll damage, and allies who attack with combat advantage get an additional +2.

Preparing reactions: No preparation this round since no way Highstriker gets in range for me to use Vengeance before the monsters act.

Reminder to party: If you spend an Action Point, you get +3 to damage rolls of the extra attack. If you miss all targets, you instead get 3 Temporary Hitpoints

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

As Aahz's weapon misses the fire elemental, it lashes out in the split instant his guard is down, burning him for 3 fire damage. Faenwyn rushes next to Lomin, a dagger flashing from her hip into the nearest living flame.

With Aahz right there, the fire elementals close in, one lighting him on fire as the other misses. Able to shift easily, the one he attacked then rushes off toward the Tiefling as the other tries to slip past him. The earth elemental takes the space to try bearing down on Aahz itself, but Aahz easily evades it.

"Damn campfire," Lomin appears to know a bit of magic, and pings the same creature Faenwyn hurled her dagger at. The Tiefling unleashes a burst of thunder, upon which Maria recognizes her as a fellow Wizard. The thunder pushes the earthen creature from on top of her, and she takes the moment to flee. The fire elemental manages to catch her ablaze as she does so, after which she attempts to put herself out in the safety of the corner (1d20)[20]. "I don't think I can manage that again," she cries in fear, apparently a far less skilled spellcaster than Maria.

Spoiler: Next Initiative Block
    Show
    Rolls are here.

Otherwise it is Highstriker, Maria, and Dwilla's turns.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-16 at 12:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Dwilla raises her dagger up, and shouts "Light of the heavens!" as she moves towards the entrance.

A radiant burst explodes onto two of the elementals.

Show
    Moving to 14-8

Blazing Starfall, Burst 1, centered on 14-14. Should catch two elementals.

(1d20+4)[6] vs. Reflex
    (1d20+4)[17] vs. Reflex-Ignore this roll if it's one roll for all enemies, use this on the 15-14 elemental if it's two rolls

(1d4+7)[11] Radiant damage (1d4+Cha+Str)

Then, if any enemy leaves the zone bounded by this burst, take 3 (Str Mod) fire damage.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Highstriker yells, "Finally, a Challenge!" as she draws the sword from her back and runs into the fray.

Move Action: Move 6 squares to 14-12
    Standard Action: Grasping Winds (+8 vs AC. Hit: 1d10+4 damage, and pull all enemies within 3 squares 2 squares closer.)
    (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[10]

My minor action and whether I spend an action point will depend on whether this attack hits, so I will resolve this roll and post again.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

When my attack hits, the Earth Elemental on 15-14 gets pulled to 14-13 thanks to Grasping Winds.

Come to me, my pretties!

Minor Action: Form of the Winter's Herald (Effect: +1 AC. Resist Cold 5, all squares within 2 are difficult for enemies until end of fight. Close burst 1 vs. enemies. +8 vs. AC. Hit: 1d10+4 cold damage and immobilized (save ends). Miss: half damage, immobilized until end of next turn.)
    I will spend an action point to make this attack.

Fire Elemental 2: (1d20+8)[10]
    Earth Elemental 1: (1d20+8)[19]
    Earth Elemental 2: (1d20+8)[20]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[16] extra 3 damage for being in range of Aahz.

Free Action: I will mark each enemy that is adjacent to me that is still alive.

Preparing Reaction: Warden's Fury
    Spoiler: If a marked enemy attacks someone other than Highstriker
    Show

(1d20+8)[12] vs Fortitude
    Hit: (1d10+4)[8] damage and target grants Advantage to Highstriker and my allies until the end of my next turn.

18. - Top - End - #48

"What in the nine hells?!", Maria says as she sees the situation at hand. She was never one to be prim and proper and she did not like what she saw. Elementals? What was going on here? Pointing her wand which she just took out of one of her pants' pockets at the nearest elemental she mutters a few words and a silvery bolt of energy shoots out of it and hits the elemental.

OOC: Cast Magic Missile which hits automatically for 7 damage.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

As Highstriker makes her way in between the elementals, the one she moves past lashes out at her. As she fails to connect with the blast of Ice, it lashes out again.

Show
    Attack of opportunity, (1d20+4)[13] (Edit: -2 from an NPC's effect, for a total of 11) vs reflex. On a hit causes 5 ongoing fire damage. Higherstriker can save against the damage at the end of her turn: (1d20)[15] vs DC 10. Either way the fire elemental deals 3 fire damage after she misses with the attack from Form of the Winter's Herald.

As the burst of frost erupts from Highstriker, the earth elemental further away from her crumbles as the last of the elemental energy animating it is ripped away from its form. Unable to act, it collapses into a pile of frost tinged dirt on the floor.

Seeing the danger the crowd moves away from the scene. They're here for a laugh, and the danger is not what they wanted.

Spoiler: Upcoming Initiative Block
    Show
    Aahz's turn.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-08-17 at 06:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

DwarfClericGuy

HP: 25/25 // Surges: 8/8 // AC: 17 Fortitude: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 16. 1 Action point. Status effects: Ongoing 5 Fire damage

Aahz seems totally unconcerned with the fact his dingy leather and hide armor is smoldering and smoking. "You seein' this Lomin? This is some impressive and expensive work my expert crew is doin' for ya! One down, three to go. Nice work team! Kid, stay back and keep blastin'. Talented Dwilla, see if you can nab that stray for us please? And Highstriker? Why don'tcha keep on striking, uh, high?"

Aahz will tap the Earth elemental with the tip of his sword as he eggs Highstriker on.While she takes a swing, he'll turn to the mysterious tiefling in the corner. "Hey sis, you alright? Yeah, you look alright, big strong mage like you. Hang in there, yeah? We gotta a lot to talk about when this is over". Aahz flashes a toothy and vaguely menacing grin.

Turn:
    Action: Commander's Strike, targeting Earth Elemental 1 and having Highstriker take a free swing:
    Attack: (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+7)[8].

Minor Action: Inspiring Word, targeting mystery tiefling. She spends a surge and heals an extra (1d6)[2] hitpoints.

Move: If Highstriker connects and kills the Earth Elemental, I'll be moving on up to 14-10 to set up a flank for Highstriker even if it provokes (I'm a bit unclear on Opportunity Attacks here). If it doesn't, I'm gonna just stay put as bait .

Ending the turn: I'll save against the ongoing damage just to do so: (1d20)[19]

Preparing an action:
    Spoiler: If I am hit by a melee attack during an enemies turn before my next turn
    Show

I will invoke "Vengeance is Mine" to take a free swing at my assailant. I'll also call Highstriker to help; she'll hold position if she can and move if she must to take a free shot too.
    Aahz's Attack: (1d20+6)[11] for (1d8+3)[5] damage.
    Highstriker's Attack: (1d20+8)[26] for (1d10+4)[5] damage.

I'll leave you to add any flanking bonuses that might be in play if they are!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The tiefling appears to be back at full health. "Thank you, so much."

Faenwyn moves in to stab the fire elemental from behind as it touches Highstriker, setting her ablaze. However, its flames are visibly dulled by her frost and it lacks to fluidity to shift away.

The other fire elemental runs up to Aahz, misses him with its touch and slides out on the floor beyond where Higherstiker's frost reaches.

The remaining earth elemental misses its attack, its arms pounding hard into the floor as they miss Highstriker even as she's unable to giver her full attention to the enemy.

The workers at the Wizard's Chest Trading Company continue to aid the party. "Oi, flambe, get doused," Lomin shouts at it with magic coming off his hands as Faenwyn misses it with a dagger. The tiefling runs up to the other fire elemental and whacks it with her metal staff, knocking off a few sparks but doing little else "I'm trained to scare off ruffians and stop thieves," she sobs in terror, "my spells don't fit inside the shop,"

One guard at the front door runs off shouting, "Fire, Fire, Help!" The other stares into the shop, frozen in uncomprehending terror at the events inside.

Show
    Post on the rolling thread is a bit of a mess; attacks are tied to the elemental named rather than the behavior described. Ex: fire elemental 1 misses, moves, and shifts while Fire Elemental 2 hits and is unable to shift due to cold damage. On the bright side I only messed up one roll (the Earth Elemental's flanking bonus) and it misses anyway.

As no other NPCs will move before Aahz's turn, all Players may make their turns at this time.

22. - Top - End - #52

Realizing one of the Tieflings in the room is more vulnerable, Maria points her wand at the fire elemental attacking her and takes a deep breath, her lower lip quivering and exerts a thrusting motion with her wand and suddenly unleashes a thunderous bolt of lightning that strikes the elemental and utterly destroys it. She then sends another silvery bolt towards the other fire elemental.

OOC: Cast Empowering Lightning on Fire Elemental 1. Spend action point to add +3 to the attack.
    Cast Magic Missile at Fire Elemental 2 for 7 damage.
    Last edited by onlie2005; 2022-08-17 at 10:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seeing Maria destroy Fire Elemental 1: It’s a good thing Cleaneater was able to take care of that Fire Elemental over there, Aahz. You’re standin’ in the way for me to be able to help that Tiefling! Did you think about getting out of the way?

Roll Save for the fire damage at the start of my turn thanks to Font of Life: (1d20)[6]

Free Action: I mark all adjacent enemies.

Standard Action: Attack Fire Elemental 2 with Weight of the Earth
    (1d20+8)[9] vs AC
    HIT: (1d10+4)[13] and Slowed until the end of my next turn

Minor Action: Stone’s Endurance: I gain Resist All 5 until end of my next turn.

Preparing Warden’s Fury
    Spoiler: Marked Enemy attacks someone other than Highstriker
    Show

(1d20+8)[13] vs Fortitude
    HIT: (1d10+4)[5] damage and target grants Advantage to me and allies until my next turn.

Just in case my first Save fails, here’s my end-of-turn save:
    (1d20)[13]

24. - Top - End - #54

Dwilla, seeing her friends and allies enmeshed in melee, mutters a few choice curses under her breath. "Great, make explosions, you thought. You don't need to learn how to focus in smaller areas..." she berates herself.

"Light of the heavens!" she calls again.

Show
    Earthy Boy Two is gonna eat it!

Centering the burst of Blazing Starfall on 14-14.
    (1d20+4)[18] to hit vs. Reflex.
    (1d4+7)[11] Radiant on a hit, which would be enough to kill him even on a 1.
    Makes a zone for enemies, so if I miss, it'll take 3 damage leaving the burst.

The shower of stars falls onto the earthen elemental, and it in turn falls apart.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-18 at 12:13 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Maria's Lightning flashes hard against the fire elemental, the brilliant flash sending sparks flying around the room in a brilliant display. Before the Fire elemental can recover, the blast of pure force following from it strikes as the Elemental's core. The flames flicker and dim, leaving a pile of smoldering embers next to the tiefling.

"Velp, you okay?" Faenwyn seems genuinely worried, in contrast to her attitude outside. "Shaken, I guess."

The fire elemental between Faenwyn and Highstriker is the only one left from whatever magical mishap unleashed them on the shop.

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfClericGuy

With the fires going out and one elemental left, Aahz will move surprisingly gracefully a step back. "Sure, please, after you Highstriker - although now I think yer gonna wanna swing up this-away. Yer a fierce one for sure - this thing's got nothin on you!". He'll swing his sword around the Fire Elemental between them as he encourages her.

Move Action: Shifting 1 square to 15-11
    Standard Action: Commander's Strike, having Highstriker target the last fire elly. (1d20+8)[28], for (1d10+7)[8] damage.
    Minor Action: Inspiring Word targeting Highstriker - she can spend a surge and heal an extra (1d6)[1] hitpoints.

OOC: Not clear to me if Faenywn is enough of an ally for Highstriker to have CA here; if she does add another +2 to that attack roll.

I do want to pop Vengeance is Mine if it triggers since this thing does get to go before the rest of the crew if Highroller whiffs or rolls a 4 or lower for damage, so...

Spoiler: If The Elemental Hits Me With a Melee Attack before my next turn
    Show

Me an Highstriker'll take a free shot each:
    Aahz: (1d20+6)[21] for (1d8+3)[10] damage
    Highstriker: (1d20+8)[24] for (1d10+4)[6] damage

Leaving you to add +2 to either if we're flanking, and +1 to Aahz if the Elly is bloodied now

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

The final killing blow! It was always going to be mine! Highstriker proclaims as she swings her sword at the final Elemental.

She will look around in hopes of finding another enemy to attack, and she will appear disappointed if none are to be found.

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    I would like to spend a Surge and I’ll get Hawk’s help with that later since I’m not sure how it works.

28. - Top - End - #58

DwarfClericGuy

Even Aahz seems surprised at how effective that was.

"Yeah lass, I never doubted it. Wow...well done! You see that too Lomin? I'm thinking your costs come out to an easy 200 gold here for such a mighty performance."

Aahz will also scan for any other threats or danger before getting ready to grill everyone for info...or shake them down for money for real...

Perception check: (1d20-1)[9]

OOC: I'm now getting the value of a roll thread and will use it more for our next combat. That was a crit, and that elemental is dead as a result of max damage, so if there are no more threats I think we're out of initiative?

29. - Top - End - #59

Dwilla breathes a sigh of relief. "Okay-threats dispatched, people safe. People are safe, right? Anyone hurt?" she calls out to everyone in the room.

She walks in, then, and looks at the remnants of the elementals, trying to piece together what happened.

Show
    Arcana check feels appropriate here-replace the mod with something else if need be, and ignore it if no check is needed/warranted.

(1d20+5)[25]

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

In the immediate aftermath of the battle, there's a moment of tension before everyone realizes the fighting is over.

"I'm SO sorry," the tiefling cries, nearly in tears. "I was trying to get the summoning thing right for the bait on the next shipment and theIdrewasigilwrongandwhenIwentofixitthethingstart edrolling..." is about what she's able to get out before hyperventilating.

"Velp, its fine. Honestly, I shouldn't have made you try that, it wasn't a good idea," Lomin seems genuinely sorry.

"What, what was the idea exactly?"

"Uh-"

"We were g-going to s-setup some bait to explod-de out should the b-bandits strike the next ship-pment out-t."

Dwilla recognizes the remains of inert elemental air and fire where the creatures fell, and some inert elemental water splashed on the floor. The elemental fire and earth are ruined (for alchemical purposes, anyway) from their activation and battle, but there's enough elemental water that is could still be used for something. She's also able to tell there was elemental air involved based on the half-charred orb lying shattered in the water, but that's long gone. Looks like the charred orb was meant to summon the elementals out when exposed to a hard impact like that of falling on the floor. There's nothing showing what was supposed to keep it from exploding when carried by wagon.

Lomin continues trying to calm the Tiefling, who appears to be called Velp, at least as a nickname.

Faenwyn, on the other hand is now furious. "Of all the stupid," choking a bit to verbalize her frustration, "This was the best thing you could get out of that." She turns back to the party, asking through her teeth, "since my brother here is pulling out complete nonsense to try to deal with the theft problem, and you appear willing to help, would you?"