New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1264 - The Discussion Thread

Oh right, that was his domain ability, nevermind.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    That's hard to call. It's the only known artifact/creation of TDO, who's a new god.
    Perhaps, being a noob, he didn't realize that an artifact needed to have side effects.
    Spoiler: Hypothetical fist shake at TDO
    Show
    (RTFM, TDO, RTFDMG!)

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    A lot of artifacts have per-day castings of mid level spells, and while they tend to be unimpressive for high-level wielders, these abilities are very powerful in the hands of low-level wielders.
    Spells need not be high level to be effective. The trick is to have a few more per day; that's almost never a bad thing. (Feather Fall is a classic case of "need not be high level to be effective" particularly when you just fell off of an airship).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-08-16 at 10:14 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

I note that the wording of the Big Modron is that one must agree to the terms of the ESLA "which will now be chanted in its entirety". It does not specify that one must wait to hear the entirety of the ESLA before agreeing to its terms. Though failing to do so would probably cause the Modron's reaction to the caster to be poor.

4. - Top - End - #274

Chimera

I note that the wording of the Big Modron is that one must agree to the terms of the ESLA "which will now be chanted in its entirety". It does not specify that one must wait to hear the entirety of the ESLA before agreeing to its terms. Though failing to do so would probably cause the Modron's reaction to the caster to be poor.
    Modrons seem like the kind of creature to read the entire EULA and consult their lawyer before downloading free software
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

I note that the wording of the Big Modron is that one must agree to the terms of the ESLA "which will now be chanted in its entirety". It does not specify that one must wait to hear the entirety of the ESLA before agreeing to its terms.
    Okay, I kind of want the next few pages to have the rest of the chant in the background.
    Though failing to do so would probably cause the Modron's reaction to the caster to be poor.
    Nah, it's okay, it's already sad.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #276

Though as the last panel (and, well, everything else about him) establishes, Redcloak is absolutely the kind of character that will listen to the entire thing.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay, I kind of want the next few pages to have the rest of the chant in the background.
    I don't think that we'll have to endure the whole thing, though I can imagine seeing excerpts. It would require something happening (even if just discussion among Team Evil) prior to the Gate spell taking effect... or Redcloak agrees prior to listening, and a bunch of stuff starts happening, while the little guy is stuck there chanting.

I've occasionally wondered about the possible validity of a EULA that specifies disposition of one's soul. (IIRC, something like that came up in Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell.) In OOTS-world, it could probably work that way.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've occasionally wondered about the possible validity of a EULA that specifies disposition of one's soul. (IIRC, something like that came up in Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell.) In OOTS-world, it could probably work that way.
    Dave Gorman had a gag in his TV stand-up show where he demonstrated how no-one reads EULAs by pointing out that the entire audience had agreed to make themselves sexually available to him on demand (or something like that) as part of getting their tickets, and not a single one of them had noticed.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Perhaps, being a noob, he didn't realize that an artifact needed to have side effects.
    Spoiler: Hypothetical fist shake at TDO
    Show
    (RTFM, TDO, RTFDMG!)

Spells need not be high level to be effective. The trick is to have a few more per day; that's almost never a bad thing. (Feather Fall is a classic case of "need not be high level to be effective" particularly when you just fell off of an airship).
    Feather Fall. Gust of Wind. Comprehend Languages. Purify Food And Drink.
    Spells you never need until you need.

On the side, Detect Magic. You can never have too many Detect Magic.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

10. - Top - End - #280

I'd missed that -- I didn't notice that it was the same guy, and thought that the wizard was a random ex-Azurite complaining about something that had happened off-screen. Thank you!
    I thought he had a Beetlejuice moment and someone stole his "Now Serving" number.

You'd think a powerful magic user would know he needs to scroll to the end of the form before clicking accept.
    Last edited by Eric the White; 2022-08-16 at 04:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

HalflingRogueGuy

What is my purpose?
    -You pass the butter.
    -HURRAY!
    -Sheesh, you have issues!
    Hey, I understood that reference!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Modrons seem like the kind of creature to read the entire EULA and consult their lawyer before downloading free software
    Modrons seem like the kind of creature to read the entire EULA and consult their lawyer without even having the intension of using the product or service that the EULA is attributed to!
    Last edited by alceryes; 2022-08-16 at 06:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by alceryes View Post
    Modrons seem like the kind of creature to read the entire EULA and consult their lawyer without even having the intension of using the product or service that the EULA is attributed to!
    And make little red-marker critiques of the language in the margins.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I have vague memories about something about a Modron March... though that module only happens because the ghost of Orcus was masquerading as Primus after killing him and did that on purpose, so I assume Modrons aren't that inconvenient most of the time.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #285

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I have vague memories about something about a Modron March... though that module only happens because the ghost of Orcus was masquerading as Primus after killing him and did that on purpose, so I assume Modrons aren't that inconvenient most of the time.
    Modrons March around the outer planes every X number of years (not sure how often, can’t remember). It’s basically a stampede of thousands on thousands of modrons marching around in a straight line running over everything in the way.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by alceryes View Post
    Well, sure. Such documents are intrinsically interesting, and when artfully executed, have an innate beauty all their own. It's just that most people don't appreciate them.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-08-17 at 01:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Modrons March around the outer planes every X number of years (not sure how often, can’t remember). It’s basically a stampede of thousands on thousands of modrons marching around in a straight line running over everything in the way.
    The march happens every 17 Grand Cycles of the main gear of Mechanus- Or every 289 years to those of us that track time that way.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I think that particular March was a problem because Orcus-ghost-masquerading-as-Primus activated it like two centuries too early or something?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Rikmach View Post
    The march happens every 17 Grand Cycles of the main gear of Mechanus- Or every 289 years to those of us that track time that way.
    When was this published? I'm wondering if it's a coincidence that there are similarities to the "cycles" and "great cycles" of 17 described in Steven Brust's Dragaera novels.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-08-17 at 11:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Kobold

When was this published? I'm wondering if it's a coincidence that there are similarities to the "cycles" and "great cycles" of 17 described in Steven Brust's Dragaera novels.
    There was also a rogue march when Orcus killed Primus.

Never mind. Ninja'd myself.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-08-17 at 01:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I don't get the whole, Modron March thing. They wouldn't make it all the way around before being completely wiped out.

Just as a mathematical exercise: there is a finite number of modrons. As soon as they hit The Abbyss, they would encounter an infinity of demons, all of whom violently oppose the very existence of Modrons. And it would happen again in Pandemonium, and again in Limbo. So, very large but finite number meets infinity x 3 enemies. How do they survive to tell their stories?

The plane of LN would be empty for a good while after such a march, and the modrons, being outsiders, would cease to exist without having incorporated into their plane.

Sorry, I didn't read the story, but this appears to be a case of the author not thinking through the idea, or me thinking too far into it.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2022-08-17 at 02:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I don't get the whole, Modron March thing. They wouldn't make it all the way around before being completely wiped out.

Just as a mathematical exercise: there is a finite number of modrons. As soon as they hit The Abbyss, they would encounter an infinity of demons, all of whom violently oppose the very existence of Modrons. And it would happen again in Pandemonium, and again in Limbo. So, very large but finite number meets infinity x 3 enemies. How do they survive to tell their stories?

The plane of LN would be empty for a good while after such a march, and the modrons, being outsiders, would cease to exist without having incorporated into their plane.

Sorry, I didn't read the story, but this appears to be a case of the author not thinking through the idea, or me thinking too far into it.
    Just because there is an infinite amount of enemies does not mean that any of them will be where the Modrons are.

Admittedly, that's a very, very weak argument, but its an argument.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post

Wait there's a finite number of Modrons but an infinite number of everything else? How come?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #294

Wait there's a finite number of Modrons but an infinite number of everything else? How come?
    That's just how it be, really. Just like the planes themselves - some are infinite, some are finite.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, isn't there only technically a limited number?
    Knock one off and it gets replaced by a lower rank getting promoted/ a new one getting spawned?
    Besides, can you imagine a literally (as opposed to effectively) infinite number of buerocrats?
    There only being a finite number of those things at once is for the good of all planes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Besides, can you imagine a literally (as opposed to effectively) infinite number of buerocrats?
    No. Humans are great at abstract math but horrible at concrete numbers. Imagining even a thousand of something is nearly impossible for us, we're just the worst at big numbers.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Well, sure. Such documents are intrinsically interesting, and when artfully executed, have an innate beauty all their own. It's just that most people don't appreciate them.
    Here they are! I found the Modron masquarading as a forum member! Get'em!
    Last edited by alceryes; 2022-08-17 at 03:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No. Humans are great at abstract math but horrible at concrete numbers. Imagining even a thousand of something is nearly impossible for us, we're just the worst at big numbers.
    There's some dependence on details. I can imagine a 10 x 10 x 10 array of simple objects fairly well.

29. - Top - End - #299

ElfWarriorGuy

Eeeeh. How do we know there’s an infinite number of demons? Who would know besides the demons, right? So the only reason we’d know is because a demon said so. I can think of few less reliable sources of information.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Eeeeh. How do we know there’s an infinite number of demons? Who would know besides the demons, right? So the only reason we’d know is because a demon said so. I can think of few less reliable sources of information.
    That's an excellent point. The actual number of demons is exactly one less than infinity.